Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ for vci 380 now!

skrachnbass 9:30 PM - 8 October, 2012
After the bad experiences of some vestax vci 380 users it is unethical to make us wait over half a year to use our controller without bugs ... I think I speak for a lot of users that after paying a lot of money for our vci 380,we want to work with a great software I am sure that this will be forthcoming Serato dj
XRM5 10:17 PM - 8 October, 2012
Isn't it the only other new Itch controller from 2012?
It deserves a little special consideration for that.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:20 AM - 9 October, 2012
Hi there skrachnbass,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately no one is able to get Serato DJ right now. The product update rollout has been determined by the ITCH product owners, and is out of my control to choose which ones come next.

I can close this thread as a feature request and send it off to the product owners for consideration if you wish, but at this stage the update for the VCi-380 for Serato DJ is Spring 2013.

Regards
phatbob 1:20 AM - 9 October, 2012
What bugs are you talking about? Because mine works beautifully with Itch 2.2.2. Obviously the FX are a bit lame but that's not 380 specific.
XRM5 1:45 AM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
FX are a bit lame

You forget this and you drop something like the "reverb" in a wasted optimistic moment and it's like a punch line aimed at you.

Then you remember.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:03 AM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
What bugs are you talking about? Because mine works beautifully with Itch 2.2.2. Obviously the FX are a bit lame but that's not 380 specific.

+1
skrachnbass 7:22 AM - 9 October, 2012
Dropouts,crashes, problems with some effects like reverser etc...all this with 2.2.2
BleepCore 6:50 PM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:

Bob, have you checked out the pitch slider...drop it to -8.00, then come up slowly...you see -7.97, then -7.94, then...what...+3.88 =o

Also my Back and Fwd buttons don't work, been trying to see if anyone else's do...normally those buttons would jump focus back to the crates for scrolling there, then forward to the tracklist for scrolling there...on my 380 they just behave like the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard, side-to-side scrolling. I can't move the focus back to crates or forward to tracklist using these buttons. (Back/Fwd work fine on my Twitch and V7)

I've been experiencing some of these weird audio things too that I've seen in other threads, where everything goes quiet & distorted/bitcrushed-sounding. Have to wait 40+ seconds for it to fix itself or unplug-replug the controller. (No FX being used whatsoever when it happens, kind of random.)
Markabre 11:42 PM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
Hi there skrachnbass,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately no one is able to get Serato DJ right now. The product update rollout has been determined by the ITCH product owners, and is out of my control to choose which ones come next.

I can close this thread as a feature request and send it off to the product owners for consideration if you wish, but at this stage the update for the VCi-380 for Serato DJ is Spring 2013.

Regards

I have no idea what the above statement actually means.

Yes, I'm disappointed that only a few months after launching a new flagship product with painfully flawed software they'd not treat VCI380 customers any different than VCI300 owners (I am both). Being the most recent itch controller it should get it at the same time as intro users.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:55 PM - 9 October, 2012
As we get closer to the release date we will have more information as to what controllers will be getting the update first.

Unfortunately I have no further information on this as the Product Owners are the ones who decide the order of what controllers get the update.

Scott
Ken Uston 12:00 AM - 10 October, 2012
If you look at the installs of Intro VS Itch, the install for Intro is twice the size. As well, it doesn't seem to have nearly the issues with things like memory leaks, etc. Itch was legacy code that (from an educated outsider perspective) had major code entropy issues, and was most likely a very different MIDI code base. As such, the Intro controllers are probably a lot quicker to port to DJ as half the work is "done", VS Itch, where you have to deal with all sorts of fun things that are probably no longer an issue (remember the wonderful HID abstraction BS that early ITCH controllers had? Good times.....)

It sucks to wait. I own a VCI-380 and a VCI-400, a XoneDX as well as SSL and even a Typhoon. I would love to be able to use my 380 before my 400, as my 380 is more fun to gig with for simple things, and my 400 is dedicated to Traktor. That said, it will come for us, and we should just be thankful that we didn't have to do anything like a paid upgrade.
XRM5 1:07 AM - 10 October, 2012
Product Owners = Pioneer/Vestax/Numark etc?
Ken Uston 5:40 AM - 10 October, 2012
Product Owner=what could be called a product manager at a hardware company. It is a typical title in an Agile/Scrum environment. Basically he means the people in Serato who are heading up the Serato DJ software development team.
skrachnbass 7:26 AM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Hi there skrachnbass,

Regards

I have no idea what the above statement actually means.

Yes, I'm disappointed that only a few months after launching a new flagship product with painfully flawed software they'd not treat VCI380 customers any different than VCI300 owners (I am both). Being the most recent itch controller it should get it at the same time as intro users.

I think the same!
Markabre 8:45 AM - 10 October, 2012
So Serato, do you consider your customers to be Pioneer, Vestax, Numark & Co more than the community of end users who buy your products?

I think that's the core of problem and why the serato customer experience has been so very lacking.

Sure, you're a business.. but businesses can do awfully well when they focus on the end user's experience.
Ken Uston 5:13 PM - 10 October, 2012
They have a ton of controllers to do-it is better to do it in order of what is going to go quickest and sell most. The 380 is listed as a December controller if you look actually took the time to click on the link-that is first in the list as far as Itch controllers. It beats the nearest one by a month. It sucks, but we still have it "better" than the other guys.........
XRM5 5:59 PM - 10 October, 2012
December would be plenty fast for me, but I didn't see that yet. I'll have to look again.
BleepCore 6:05 PM - 10 October, 2012
serato.com

That says Spring 2013, where did you see the December date?
Ken Uston 6:08 PM - 10 October, 2012
Up until a couple days ago, when you clicked on it it said "December 2012", but "Spring 2013" in the overview. It was the first one listed to get the upgrade of all the available controllers for Itch.
Soundhire 12:25 PM - 24 October, 2012
If you look closely at the controllers included in the Dj Intro section in the Serato Dj page are very successful and fully MIDI mappable and custumizable Traktor and VDJ equipment. For sure they are trying to get them into the full Serato experience for $199.00 but November 1st also is the launch of NI Traktor Pro 2.6 and upgrade is FREE for licensed Traktor users.
I love and still use SSL but not ITCH. And unfixable bugs, poor product support and poor effect section are the reason why I stopped using ITCH. This is the first time I threw the towel on a software hardware combo. Well I'm not going to waste my money on a useless controller. Solution.... Map the VCI380 to your hearts content in Traktor and make the most out of the kickass gear that Vestax worked so hard designing. Implement the colored LEDs, super effects section, loops etc. oh and no dropouts too. Then take a pic and post it so Serato would realize how lame they designed Itch. I really can't wait for Traktor Pro 2.6 to be released. Flux mode and multiple single knob effects section. Well fitted for the VCI380.
prizo 4:44 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
If you look closely at the controllers included in the Dj Intro section in the Serato Dj page are very successful and fully MIDI mappable and custumizable Traktor and VDJ equipment. For sure they are trying to get them into the full Serato experience for $199.00 but November 1st also is the launch of NI Traktor Pro 2.6 and upgrade is FREE for licensed Traktor users.
I love and still use SSL but not ITCH. And unfixable bugs, poor product support and poor effect section are the reason why I stopped using ITCH. This is the first time I threw the towel on a software hardware combo. Well I'm not going to waste my money on a useless controller. Solution.... Map the VCI380 to your hearts content in Traktor and make the most out of the kickass gear that Vestax worked so hard designing. Implement the colored LEDs, super effects section, loops etc. oh and no dropouts too. Then take a pic and post it so Serato would realize how lame they designed Itch. I really can't wait for Traktor Pro 2.6 to be released. Flux mode and multiple single knob effects section. Well fitted for the VCI380.

Ive thought about switching for years for this very reason. Bought and sold my NS6 for such awful software bugs and integration (not to mention cheap material used by Numark). However, just couldn't bring myself to go through the hastle of the switch. The vci-380 is the best midi controller i ever used, itch is still buggy as hell and barely useable. I think it may be time...

What did you use to transfer cue points and metadata?
prizo 4:49 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:

I've been experiencing some of these weird audio things too that I've seen in other threads, where everything goes quiet & distorted/bitcrushed-sounding. Have to wait 40+ seconds for it to fix itself or unplug-replug the controller. (No FX being used whatsoever when it happens, kind of random.)

That's what that is! Wow, goes to show no matter what the manufacturer involved, itch is sub-par.
Soundhire 10:43 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Ive thought about switching for years for this very reason. Bought and sold my NS6 for such awful software bugs and integration (not to mention cheap material used by Numark). However, just couldn't bring myself to go through the hastle of the switch. The vci-380 is the best midi controller i ever used, itch is still buggy as hell and barely useable. I think it may be time...

What did you use to transfer cue points and metadata?

I used SSL to Traktor Database Converter which is available through NI's website.or you can just Google it out. Really quick and easy. Or just go ahead and import your folders and sub folders to playlist. You should also checkout DJ Jetz VCI380 tsi mapping which is what I used as a baseline for my custom map. It's totally awesome. Another note is when your mapping velocity pads on your controller that when your teaching your controller velocity data is all the 8 pads puts out only one CC midi note. Also click LEARN then push the button all the way in, then click off LEARN while holding the button in, and don' release it until the key is memorized or it will just learn the button data and not the velocity.
J.J. 7:27 AM - 7 December, 2012
The VCI-380 is a phenomenal controller. Guess why I've never use it live? Itch. It's just plain awful. It cannot handle a realistic database, not to mention an external hard drive. The same database in SSL runs it like nothing. The audio randomly glitches. I didn't know it had an automatic bit-crusher effect. So I ditched the PC and got the latest fastest mac because most of the forum members recommended it.

15-inch: 2.6GHz. Retina. 16 Gig. 768GB Flash. The GUI ran smoother (wav display), but it still crashed. I've already got used to the screen freezing while it does some random hupla in the background. Wait 20 seconds, and it might come back.

So I bought a controller I cannot use for 8 months until Serato DJ comes out. Even then, we would have to BETA test the released version. Why on earth wasn't Itch a direct copy of Scratch Live? It is not for Native Controllers because my Denon DN-HC4500 runs great in SSL with MIDI out, scratching, effects, modifiers etc.

Here I thought Serato was slow to develop because they made reliable software. Whatever. Were they out hiring a film crew for the next Serato Icon instead of hiring developers. Custom MIDI mapping for other software takes forever. Here is my offering...
www.poweronplay.com
XRM5 10:56 AM - 7 December, 2012
It's really telling that they can't find an "icon" who'll use their controllers.
Quote:
So I bought a controller I cannot use for 8 months until Serato DJ comes out.

I love how the last word on the slowdown/glitch issue after 2.2 was: "we're working on it," then like a week later it was "hello Serato DJ, no updates/support for 'old' Itch hardware until 2013." The 380 was maybe 6 months old at that point, but you can never spend enough money or have new enough gear for them I guess.
Markabre 12:20 PM - 7 December, 2012
I bought Traktor for next to nothing during their Black Friday sale.

It sits there in my application folder whispering to me... "You should have bought a VCI-400 EG Edition but oh no you thought you'd play it safe with Serato.. now look where that got you."

Are these VCI-380 mappings reliable and intuitive enough to play gigs on which you'd stake your professional reputation?
J.J. 8:24 PM - 7 December, 2012
I would only use a VCI-380 TSI mapping that I did myself. Traktor 2.6 has been stable. The color pads are not a gimmick but useful feedback. In Traktor. Green for Loop, Turquoise for Cue, White for Grid, Orange for Load, Yellow for Fade-In/Out. The pressure pads are nice for instant Wet/Dry.

As good as the VCI-400 EG edition is, the 380 is better hardware wise. However, the 400 is built like a tank, has dedicated Filter Knobs, 4 channels, crazy amount of buttons and knobs. It is missing the phone input and jog led ring, which I love for cueing, juggling and scratching.

For $199, you will be able to get Serato DJ with video when it's launched. But with the Ean Golden edition, you would have to change the firmware to the regular edition for it to work properly.
prizo 4:05 PM - 10 December, 2012
Quote:
The VCI-380 is a phenomenal controller. Guess why I've never use it live? Itch. It's just plain awful. It cannot handle a realistic database, not to mention an external hard drive. The same database in SSL runs it like nothing. The audio randomly glitches. I didn't know it had an automatic bit-crusher effect. So I ditched the PC and got the latest fastest mac because most of the forum members recommended it.

15-inch: 2.6GHz. Retina. 16 Gig. 768GB Flash. The GUI ran smoother (wav display), but it still crashed. I've already got used to the screen freezing while it does some random hupla in the background. Wait 20 seconds, and it might come back.

So I bought a controller I cannot use for 8 months until Serato DJ comes out. Even then, we would have to BETA test the released version. Why on earth wasn't Itch a direct copy of Scratch Live? It is not for Native Controllers because my Denon DN-HC4500 runs great in SSL with MIDI out, scratching, effects, modifiers etc.

Here I thought Serato was slow to develop because they made reliable software. Whatever. Were they out hiring a film crew for the next Serato Icon instead of hiring developers. Custom MIDI mapping for other software takes forever. Here is my offering...
www.poweronplay.com

Spoken like a true scholar, agree %1000. I'm at a standstill at this point. What you think JJ, use SSL with VCI or Traktor?
J.J. 5:52 PM - 10 December, 2012
Thanks prizo.

I've used Itch twice in public. I did both for Free for Family and Friends so I wasn't to concerned about my image. It froze when I searched my external hard drive for songs in Itch. It froze when I accessed a song on a external drive after playing on the internal for a while. I went on a piss brake, and the sound just stopped in the middle of the song for 20 seconds. The sound degraded drastically after an hour a few times forcing a restart and increased latency. The Easter Egg Bass as Filter forced a bit-crusher sound after about 30 minutes.

Itch doesn't like powered USB drives. I don't recommend them because they will go to sleep pretty fast if not used. However, I've never had a problem with the same drive in Scratch Live. Even when it was waiting for the hard drive to start spinning, SSL never paused, glitched, froze or crashed the software.

prizo, this is what I'm doing. It's ridiculous but stable. I have a 68 and 62, but no Rane Scratch Live Cards.

Rane MP 4 19" Mixer
• Left House Output 1/4" Stereo into the left side VCI-380 input.
• Right Headphones Cue Output 1/4" Stereo into the right side VCI-380 input.

VCI-380
• Optimise Rane MP 4 Left (House Out) Channel and Right (Cue Headphones Out) Channel to the same volume. It's tedious because of the clipping/distortion if the volume is to high.
• The 380 hardware filter (only High-Pass) sounds good, but there is no customizing.

I'm still waiting for the 19" Rack Mount. Vestax said they are available, but nobody currently has them or can order them.

Serato Scratch Live
• Use my custom VCI-380 mapping found here. www.poweronplay.com I will have an updated version by the end of the week with a complete PDF.
• Proper Cue will be added. Jump to Loop will be added (more work is needed). Pitch Bend buttons will be added instead of having to switch back and forth between Jog and Scratch. <Output name=" is how you get MIDI out to work, but I haven't tested anything yet.

Traktor
• To get the LED's to work, Traktor is ran in the background. There is no real feedback from SSL, but the Pads will illuminate depending on Hot Cue, Sample, Splice, Loop Roll and Auto Loop. I have Hot Cue Pad 1=Red, 2=Yellow, 3=Green, 4=Turquoise, 5=Blue.
• Yes it's ridiculous to use another full blown DJ software just to get the MIDI out, but this is still the most stable. Just make sure you have enough ram.

I purchased Bome's MIDI Translater, but the latest version still crashes like crazy. My custom Traktor TSI mapper is taking a lot longer than anticipated. It will feature 4 decks + 2 decks simultaneously, LED feedback, Velocity Sampler, Instant Effect Gratifier with Pressure Pads, Jog Wheel Effects, Loops, Seamless Jog Wheel Skip, +-100 Pitch Effect, etc. I've got the inner Jog Wheel LEDS to work, but it's not accurate and only works to the beat of the music instead of 33 1/3 like vinyl rotation.
beisi 1:52 PM - 11 December, 2012
Quote:

www.poweronplay.com

ahh damn!, I was thinking the answer to my 380 itch 2.2 library crashing problems (serato.com) might be with a mac, but from what you say it suggests it doesn't matter what i do.... :(((

such a good controller sooooooo let down by buggy software

sigh godammit serato, at least I have a traktor rig to use for long months waiting ahead

at least when Serato DJ is finally made available it will be significantly less buggy than itch right?
XRM5 4:47 PM - 11 December, 2012
SDJ still has bugs at the moment, including old Itch ones like big-library crashes.

The future of everything Serato is uncertain.
LiamLondon 8:54 PM - 3 January, 2013
I just pray that when serato dj is released for vci 380 that all and any bugs are eliminated before release. I have had some really bad noises when using both pad FX and channel FX, drop outs, and crashes. Please serato, we paid good money for our controller don't let us down with software quality!
skrachnbass 11:40 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
I just pray that when serato dj is released for vci 380 that all and any bugs are eliminated before release. I have had some really bad noises when using both pad FX and channel FX, drop outs, and crashes. Please serato, we paid good money for our controller don't let us down with software quality!

+1000000
skrachnbass 11:48 PM - 4 January, 2013
if serato don't hurry up a lot of people finally will use traktor mappings... i think this is a bad thing for serato.
dj_soo 10:50 AM - 15 January, 2013
I dunno, Itch has been good to me until I updated my macbook to mountain lion.

It's certainly not as stable as scratch live (which in itself, isn't as stable as it used to be) and it's certainly lacking in a number of features, but my VCI-300 and 380 has served me well for the most part over the last couple of years.

I'm chomping at the bit for Serato DJ, but I'd rather they release it in a decent state rather than rush to shove it up with a bunch of bugs...

I'm really hoping that the rumours of all the serato software consolidating into the one Serato DJ program will actually happen so long as they don't nerf the fuck out the Scratch Live software. I think Serato's problems lately is that their team is spread too thin. It's really showing in the quality of the last couple of build that having to maintain 4 separate pieces of software (Intro, Itch, Scratclive, DJ) is having a detrimental effect on the software. Once they get everything running through the same code base, I predict a marked improvement in the software. That said, they really should get on it - they're losing market share to Traktor every day...
DJ MDX 6:34 PM - 18 January, 2013
I'm reading people having issues with external drives and Itch - I have not had any issues with external drives with Itch or SSL, however, I don't use USB drives - I never have. I've always used Firewire drives from day one on my Mac in either 400 or 800 but prefer 800 - I've even daisy chained them together with no issues at all.

It think the problem that kind of stands out here is USB - everything made these days is USB which stinks to me because it drowns your USB BUS especially with all these laptops that only have 2 usb ports. I'm still on my 17" MacBook Pro with 3 USB ports and rarely use more than 2 ports - 1 for controller/mixer and 1 for Dicers/F1 when using SSL/Traktor.

I have not used the Z2 but if it works as designed, I really like the idea of the USB hub built in to the mixer....although again I would never use a USB HD.

In terms of your HD going to sleep, use power management to prevent that.
J.J. 8:28 PM - 18 January, 2013
MDX. Firewire is not built into my Mac. I can get a Thunderbolt drive, but then I can use it on my PC.
DJ MDX 8:43 PM - 18 January, 2013
Which is your DJ Performance Machine? If its the Mac that is the one that I would Pimp Out....its up to you but I strongly feel that would solve a lot of issues with people with USB HD issues. I've been using SSL and ITCH since it's inception and always used an external Firewire HD from 250G to now a couple of 3TB drives. I've never had an issue with reading of music, stalling, HD ejecting, etc.

I think when audio drops happen or just plain USB drops, that tends to eject you HD and then reconnect to it since its just momentary, but that still equates into a freeze due to software/system not seeing it anymore - maybe if a buffer was there like an audio stream it could help - but that is a lot more difficult than it sounds.
DJ MDX 8:43 PM - 18 January, 2013
BTW, Congrats on your new family addition and still waiting on your 380 tsi file ;-)
DJ MDX 8:48 PM - 18 January, 2013
Quote:
MDX. Firewire is not built into my Mac. I can get a Thunderbolt drive, but then I can use it on my PC.

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter is also available....
J.J. 10:05 PM - 18 January, 2013
I believe I saw some new drives that are thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

Either way, Itch is horrible on a PC. It's Ironic because SSL works great on the PC. And a huge database works great on SSL, but not ITCH.

Thanks. The baby boy is keeping us busy. I looked at the 380 tsi file the other day. It took 2 hours to figure out what I was doing. Good thing I kept notes.

If Traktor enables a MIDI out mode for 33 1/3 rpm, it would be great. The only thing that we can make it rotate is a beat. So if you have a fast track 120+ BPM, it would circle in 1/2 a second. Way to fast to accurately track.
DJ Slammin Sam 12:46 AM - 19 January, 2013
So when exactly is Serato DJ coming for VCI-380? I'm hoping it lives up to the hype...
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:58 PM - 20 January, 2013
Quote:
So when exactly is Serato DJ coming for VCI-380?

The Serato DJ upgrade for the VCi-380 is due to come out in Spring 2013.
serato.com

Cheers
Markabre 3:26 PM - 21 January, 2013
And it's still on target? I'd be surprised.
Jaybe82 8:29 PM - 21 January, 2013
When officialy is spring btw? March? April? May?
skrachnbass 11:25 PM - 20 March, 2013
It's spring!!! where is the serato dj for my vci 380???
Markabre 12:01 AM - 21 March, 2013
I wouldn't hold my breath for anything Serato related. Even once they deliver the first compatible build I'd be surprised if it was truly ready for the prime time from day one.

I got so fed up with Serato's lacklustre support of VCI-380 and their general slow forward momentum that I picked up a bargain on VCI-400-SE, got a Midi Fighter Spectra and switched to Traktor. (Did have my eye on the NS7-II but c'est la vie)

Serato Itch is now relegated to backup rig and Serato DJ, a curiosity that will have to do something pretty special to make it into my main setup again.

Never thought i'd switch to Traktor, always been rather averse to it. It's not without it's own quirks, but my god, the flexibility is just light years ahead. Higher learning curve, not as immediately intuitive as Serato but there's incredible scope on their platform that you can discover once you persevere.
Dj cuervo 12:32 AM - 21 March, 2013
how about the grand daddy vci 300?
Dj cuervo 12:37 AM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Also on schedule for the not too distant future :)

cool thanks
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:51 AM - 21 March, 2013
Last day of Spring is June 20, 2013 :P
skrachnbass 10:56 PM - 22 March, 2013
Will the vci 380 be a 4 channel serato dj supported like the pioneer wego? I hope...
DJ LIL M 2:35 AM - 23 March, 2013
vci 300 here, "waits, tick tock, tick tock,
DJSP1KE 9:31 AM - 24 March, 2013
Quote:
Hi everybody

Support for the VCI-380 in Serato DJ is coming soon! Read in to that what you will, I can't give you any more details right now.

I'm going to move this out to the general Serato DJ discussion as it's not really a help request.

Cheers :)

Any ideas at all , would be nice if it was ready to go in the next week or so , I'm off Easter week , good time to familiarise with the new program
wadup 1:04 PM - 24 March, 2013
I wouldn't mind at all... I so hate using itch with my vci380
DJSP1KE 1:19 PM - 24 March, 2013
Yes im not mad on itch , but i get by , just won't allow us to use the 380 to its fullest
serkan 8:42 AM - 25 March, 2013
Quote:

Last day of Winter was March 20 and there are still Serato DJ Intro controllers left to be supported.

SDJ was introduced in December and they made it to a total of 10 controllers in 3 months! And even those 10 are not very well done and there are still 12 controllers to come.
I'm not holding my hopes very high.
wadup 12:56 PM - 25 March, 2013
+1
beisi 1:35 PM - 25 March, 2013
+many

looks indeed like Serato have bitten off more than they can chew development wise

my luck to have been early adopter of twitch and vci380 and have them both be lowest in the Serato priority order, definitely not feeling the love from Serato

have been hangin on like rest, but from what I keep hearing the memory leak which means I can't even use Itch at the moment still exists in SDJ and no resolution in sight, 64 bit ain't gonna happen any time soon, but then why should it need too, traktor has more functionality, also integrates with itunes and it ain't 64bit either

really want to switch back from Traktor, I miss the UI/flexible beat grids/simple work flow etc, but really what good is it if your controller ain't supported and you can't even load the software because of memory crashes
Cleggsta 6:23 PM - 29 March, 2013
Hi - Any news on the Serato DJ upgrade for both of my Vestax controllers???! It's DEFINITELY Spring 2013 now, but I cannot find the upgrade!!

I gave up on my VCi-300 since it was pretty much unusable in public, and buggy as hell.... Even though I knew what I was getting with a (GL)ITCH controller, I still went out and got an NS6 and had the same issues... then I traded that in and came back to VCi-380 thinking that maybe things may have gotten better, but was greeted by the same old ITCH with that controlller too......

I've had 3 wonderful controllers completely ruined by Serato ITCH!!! My latest controller is less then a few months old, yet is still sat there doing NOTHING!!!

Please, can we get access to some DECENT DJ software?!! I'm getting VERY tempted to return my VCi-380 for a refund, on the grounds of it being completely useless as a DJ tool since the software simply does not work as it should!!!!!!

:-) I LOVE my controllers. I even LOVE the idea of ITCH (if it worked!). I'm not into Traktor at all - hence my history of buying ITCH decks!!! ITCH could have really been something great, had it worked!!

I'm just praying that DJ is going to be the long awaited answer for the THOUSANDS of dissatisfied customers that Serato have right now!
phatbob 6:44 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Hi - Any news on the Serato DJ upgrade for both of my Vestax controllers???! It's DEFINITELY Spring 2013 now, but I cannot find the upgrade!!

I gave up on my VCi-300 since it was pretty much unusable in public, and buggy as hell.... Even though I knew what I was getting with a (GL)ITCH controller, I still went out and got an NS6 and had the same issues... then I traded that in and came back to VCi-380 thinking that maybe things may have gotten better, but was greeted by the same old ITCH with that controlller too......

I've had 3 wonderful controllers completely ruined by Serato ITCH!!! My latest controller is less then a few months old, yet is still sat there doing NOTHING!!!

Please, can we get access to some DECENT DJ software?!! I'm getting VERY tempted to return my VCi-380 for a refund, on the grounds of it being completely useless as a DJ tool since the software simply does not work as it should!!!!!!

:-) I LOVE my controllers. I even LOVE the idea of ITCH (if it worked!). I'm not into Traktor at all - hence my history of buying ITCH decks!!! ITCH could have really been something great, had it worked!!

I'm just praying that DJ is going to be the long awaited answer for the THOUSANDS of dissatisfied customers that Serato have right now!

Itch works great for THOUSANDS of satisfied users!

Most likely the problem is with your computer configuration, it simply does not work as it should!!!!!!

Serato DJ won't fix that. So rather than posting about the long wait, your time would be better spent trying to find ways to get your system working with Itch.

Or getting access to a DECENT and properly optimised computer.
Roy Levi 6:47 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:

Itch works great for THOUSANDS of satisfied users!

Unfortunately that is out of a million ITCH controllers sold ;-)
phatbob 6:49 PM - 29 March, 2013
999,000-ish dissatisfied users haven't bothered to seek support then. Seems unlikely. ;o)
phatbob 6:56 PM - 29 March, 2013
Not seeing the help request with DPC Trace report that I recommend you do over a month ago, by the way, Cleggsta.

That will help you resolve your issues, I'm sure. That's why I suggested it.
Roy Levi 7:07 PM - 29 March, 2013
Well, ITCH controllers tend to work very well with Traktor, Torq and Virtual DJ. I remember when I first got my NS7, I gave up on ITCH after a couple of weeks and moved on to Torq. Now, I don't know how many users did like me, but I get the impression that I was not alone.

On the other hand, while I think Torq was absolutely fantastic, seeing how it is now discontinued, I guess I was in the minority :)
KDHRamsay 3:33 PM - 30 March, 2013
If anybody has a link for a decent TSI file for the VCI 380 I would be eternally grateful.

I have come across a couple but they aren't that great. I managed to get one for my A&H DX which works quite well. Getting fed up with both Vestax and Serato and their seeming indifference towards the 380.
Markabre 4:11 PM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:
If anybody has a link for a decent TSI file for the VCI 380 I would be eternally grateful.

I have come across a couple but they aren't that great. I managed to get one for my A&H DX which works quite well. Getting fed up with both Vestax and Serato and their seeming indifference towards the 380.

maps.djtechtools.com

This might work for you?
KDHRamsay 9:54 PM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

maps.djtechtools.com

This might work for you?

Thanks mate I've tried that one before, wasnt quite happy with it. Will try it again and maybe try and adjust the mappings to suit.
prizo 5:52 PM - 1 April, 2013
Can't wait for Serato DJ. I hear it is even a bigger memory hog than itch tho. Anyone using serato dj with any other controller?
prizo 5:56 PM - 1 April, 2013
Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath for anything Serato related. Even once they deliver the first compatible build I'd be surprised if it was truly ready for the prime time from day one.

I got so fed up with Serato's lacklustre support of VCI-380 and their general slow forward momentum that I picked up a bargain on VCI-400-SE, got a Midi Fighter Spectra and switched to Traktor. (Did have my eye on the NS7-II but c'est la vie)

Serato Itch is now relegated to backup rig and Serato DJ, a curiosity that will have to do something pretty special to make it into my main setup again.

Never thought i'd switch to Traktor, always been rather averse to it. It's not without it's own quirks, but my god, the flexibility is just light years ahead. Higher learning curve, not as immediately intuitive as Serato but there's incredible scope on their platform that you can discover once you persevere.

How you would compare using the vci-400 to vci-380? Ever try vci-380 with traktor?
Dj cuervo 7:10 PM - 1 April, 2013
I guess I was wrong with my April 1 date. I think June 20 now.
dj-nice 9:00 PM - 1 April, 2013
Quote:
I hear it is even a bigger memory hog than itch tho. Anyone using serato dj with any other controller?

its unusable with a big amound of crates and tracks
DJ Slammin Sam 10:08 PM - 1 April, 2013
They are disappointing. Again. Big shock.
wadup 11:34 PM - 1 April, 2013
Still waiting patiently... 0.o its so hard to even look at itch gui after using serato dj
DJSP1KE 8:16 AM - 2 April, 2013
I don't mind waiting a few more weeks if its going to be good first time , chances of that - Very slim
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:41 AM - 2 April, 2013
I really wanted serato dj, for the saved loops and all the screen controlls and extra midi mapping 2nd controller. But seeing all the bugs and memory issues im not really that bothered. When it comes i will test it if its good togo then bonus but if its bug fest then i will stay with itch. Itch and serato video works fine for me i do get the odd dropout. And saved loops are un-usable for me.

Hopefully in couple years the issues will be sorted and serato dj will have all itch and ssl features then in 10 years they can start adding features that are in all other software today.

As the world knows Serato means Slow.
KDHRamsay 10:42 AM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
I really wanted serato dj, for the saved loops and all the screen controlls and extra midi mapping 2nd controller. But seeing all the bugs and memory issues im not really that bothered. When it comes i will test it if its good togo then bonus but if its bug fest then i will stay with itch. Itch and serato video works fine for me i do get the odd dropout. And saved loops are un-usable for me.

Hopefully in couple years the issues will be sorted and serato dj will have all itch and ssl features then in 10 years they can start adding features that are in all other software today.

As the world knows Serato means Slow.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy using my 380 I find it the decks to be responsive and the general layout to be easy to use. I dont have any of the problems that other people seem to suffer from. However there are firmware issues which havent been resolved since its release. The mic sound quality is shocking. The Serato effects outside of the high and low pass filter are worse than useless. While I didnt use saved loops all that much I can imagine that the change to the current process was a complete kick in the nuts. I do find it incredibly annoying that the Serato DJ announcement came so quickly after the VCI380 release and that it was then put to the end of the queue, effectively killing further development until such time as a version of Serato DJ became available. Had I known I would have postponed my decision to buy the 380 and in all likelihood bought the Pioneer. That is of course the curse of hindsight. I'm probably more annoyed at Vestax for not having the foresight (Im being kind here because I cant believe they didn't have some idea of Serato's intention to discontinue Itch) in releasing a piece of equipment that became reliant on redundant technology within months of its release. But I am now getting equally annoyed at Serato with its "Its coming at some point" attitude. I know software releases are prone to slippage but ITS SPRING NOW by any definition and I would like some kind of concrete update!
DJSP1KE 12:19 PM - 2 April, 2013
They've been slow since day one , never seem to hit deadlines and when they do come out things are still wrong or missing , if it was my company I would be Madddd , but then we must be the bigger mugs falling for it
beisi 1:07 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
I do find it incredibly annoying that the Serato DJ announcement came so quickly after the VCI380 release and that it was then put to the end of the queue, effectively killing further development until such time as a version of Serato DJ became available. Had I known I would have postponed my decision to buy the 380 and in all likelihood bought the Pioneer. That is of course the curse of hindsight. I'm probably more annoyed at Vestax for not having the foresight (Im being kind here because I cant believe they didn't have some idea of Serato's intention to discontinue Itch) in releasing a piece of equipment that became reliant on redundant technology within months of its release.

this.
J.J. 3:31 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I do find it incredibly annoying that the Serato DJ announcement came so quickly after the VCI380 release and that it was then put to the end of the queue, effectively killing further development until such time as a version of Serato DJ became available. Had I known I would have postponed my decision to buy the 380 and in all likelihood bought the Pioneer. That is of course the curse of hindsight. I'm probably more annoyed at Vestax for not having the foresight (Im being kind here because I cant believe they didn't have some idea of Serato's intention to discontinue Itch) in releasing a piece of equipment that became reliant on redundant technology within months of its release.

this.

+1
weeggyy 1:48 AM - 4 April, 2013
"Maybe", the reason why it took them so long, is because of the bugs on the fist itch controller who got an update on SDJ (ns6). Until now there are bugs that they can't reproduce on their lab.
beisi 11:36 AM - 4 April, 2013
meanwhile the rest of the world doesn't stand still... vendors will be wanting to release new controllers with SDJ/intro as well, how many trade shows this year? NAMM/BPM etc doesn't bode well for the future based on the current speed to market to map existing controllers

whats the bet there will be another new SDJ controller with similar functionality released before the 380 sees the light of day in SDJ?

the twitch I can kinda the reason for deprioritization but the vci300/380 surely have more user 'capital' if the forums are anything to go by and it couldn't have been to hard to predict that it could be seen as a slap in the face to existing users that the mixdeck and vestax typhoon FFS are higher priority than the vci3xx controllers

if NI were smart they would release some kind of 2 deck scratch worthy controller with pads, they already have slicer mode (new freeze mode in Traktor DJ) and loop roll (flux mode with looping), then the flexible beat grids would be the only thing worth sticking around for

tick tock mr bond
XRM5 7:19 PM - 4 April, 2013
Speaking of trade shows, Musikmesse is like next week right?

I can't remember if Serato or Rane have ever gone big for Messe though.
phatbob 7:21 PM - 4 April, 2013
They've been there for years. SL2 launched at MM 2011.
XRM5 7:29 PM - 4 April, 2013
That's promising. They've been teasing the Scratch Live news since January.
KDHRamsay 8:33 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Hi there skrachnbass,

Regards

The overall theme of this thread seems to be the frustration of buying a controller which was marketed as the next big development in controller technology only to find a) It has problems using the supporting software b) the software subsequently was made obsolete and its replacement isn't planned to be made available for 6 months (maybe?) . In light of this and Serato's statement that "The product update rollout has been determined by the ITCH product owners, and is out of my control to choose which ones come next." It surely would seem as only courteous for a representative from Vestax to explain the reasons behind the decision to put the VCI380 to the end of the queue. Or at least confirm the actual date for release. So hopefully if this thread is still being monitored someone at Serato could speak to their Vestax chums (I am presuming they actually do occasionally talk to each other of course)
skrachnbass 11:39 PM - 4 April, 2013
Finally i changed my vci 380 for an semi-new vci 400, Serato dj it's a really nice software, but i don't know how they mapping all the fx with four knobs, the vci 380 it's a incredible controller but it was designed for Itch... I have curiosity about how they map the 380 for the new serato dj.
beisi 1:08 PM - 5 April, 2013
don't see how they can map the 380 properly given the new four knob SDJ layout... which parameter do they choose? some kind of awkward shift... likewise with the Pad FX...

I still like the size, pads and led jogs better than the 400 tho

The main reason I didn't sell it yet was thinking it would still be quite nice in SDJ alongside an X1 mapped for FX and sampler

it is still one of the nicest built controllers on the market, its main problems are software based resulting from commercial decisions
FabulousFrequencies 4:11 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
meanwhile the rest of the world doesn't stand still... vendors will be wanting to release new controllers with SDJ/intro as well, how many trade shows this year? NAMM/BPM etc doesn't bode well for the future based on the current speed to market to map existing controllers

Bodes great for Atomix! The pitch sliders on that Gemini G4V looks SO fuckin nice!! Suppose to launch with vdj-8. I guess we can compare how well the names we tend to look down our noses at perform a 'joint roll out' and see just how their bug and complaint list compares to 2 'industry standards' like Pioneer and Serato 'working together' LOL!
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:40 PM - 5 April, 2013
I guna send my 380 back for repair next week, has anyone else had this happen to theres???

You know the jog tension in the centre of the jog wheel it is really stiff to turn and adjust.

Well mine have gone super super loose you can back spin then lol. And this is causing issues for me has the jog wheel will randumly tighten.

Vestax did send me instructions to fix it but that fix was not the issue.

Just wondered if this was a common issue.
DJ dVO 11:30 PM - 5 April, 2013
^ I had to send mine in for the left fader repair. Freaking after 2 + months only then I got my 380 back....it's going well right now....
FabulousFrequencies 11:45 PM - 5 April, 2013
When you hear of outrageous delays like that with Vestax, a lot of it is the container runs to AM&S on items they don't keep on the shelf. Apparently it can take UP TO (not always) 150 days to get a part delivered from Vestax Japan to the states..

What I can only speculate, is not a manufacturing shortage, but rather the parts may be hitching semi-frequent rides in a container with other things. There would be possible savings for the company here (or AM&S) but it hurts us. The reasonable thing to do, regardless of the reasoning behind those kind of shipment times, would be to setup a small Vestax parts house in Japan.

Take international orders from retail level customers and repair centers alike and then ePacket the items to the buyers on their dime as an option. At least then repair centers can get parts in 2 weeks or less. It just takes some unused office space, some shelves and a dude to pack/ship from invoices. I know i'm over simplifying it, but it's not out of the question and it would solidify the supply & support chain for us.

I only have a small handful of gripes with Vestax and this is one of them. It's still one of my favorite brands but that doesn't make them perfect. When I get a 380 in my hands, i'll be able to provide better help to you guys with little things like this, such as I have to 300 users.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:49 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
^ I had to send mine in for the left fader repair. Freaking after 2 + months only then I got my 380 back....it's going well right now....

Already had all the faders replaced. Love the controller and im sure after the repair it will be fine just interested in if other ppls are really loose
DJSP1KE 7:56 AM - 6 April, 2013
My tension gadget seems fine after a good 6 months heavy use , both faders went , but had the free replacements sent , so working perfect , it's the first I've heard of that fault , so hopefully your a one off as bad as it sounds
nik39 12:41 PM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:

So true... ;)
KDHRamsay 8:59 AM - 9 April, 2013
Vestax have released an Official mapping for Traktor which can be downloaded from help.vestax.co.jp I haven't tried it out yet but looking at the accompanying PDF it looks quite exciting. I discovered its existence via a posting on their facebook page regarding some chap who was pictured using a customised TSI for his 380. I replied to the posting, wondering if that under the circumstances (ie the lack of Serato DJ), he would consider sharing it and it transpired its the aforementioned Vestax version. A couple of issues strike me as a bit odd... Why didn't Vestax release this earlier? Why has it taken a year to do so? Why now? and Why haven't they mentioned this in any press release or news bulletin via the website? Any way its there now and worth a shot.
DJSP1KE 9:10 AM - 9 April, 2013
Yea worth looking at , serato dj won't be here any time soon
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:36 AM - 9 April, 2013
There is also a Scratchlive mapping on Vestax site but it ain't great as Serato midi is so limited.
KDHRamsay 9:59 AM - 9 April, 2013
Quote:
There is also a Scratchlive mapping on Vestax site but it ain't great as Serato midi is so limited.

Serato midi doesnt have anything to do with the ability of a Vestax midi controller to be used with another software. Its the suitability of the various controls on the equipment and their ability to utilize the various functions offered by the software. Granted many of the 'official' offerings from the manufacturers tend to be a bit unimaginative but the greatest strength of traktor is its ability to be radically customised. Something that Itch could never do. Serato DJ obviously recognises this and has midi learn. If I had Serato DJ now I probably wouldn't be chasing the holy grail of a half decent Traktor mapping.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:43 AM - 9 April, 2013
Clueless post!!! Serato midi is shocking you cant map most stuff and no midi out what so ever.

Even serato dj has an even more limited midi than scratchlive!!

Yes traktor is very good for midi in and out. Amd can map just about everything.
djjendxb 2:37 PM - 9 April, 2013
where is the update please?????
FabulousFrequencies 3:07 PM - 9 April, 2013
Quote:
where is the update please?????

It's hangin out with 'the bridge' over in the promised land..
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:36 PM - 9 April, 2013
... Eating some bugs lol
wadup 4:26 AM - 10 April, 2013
kinda frustrating seeing more serato icon than software releases... ):
beisi 1:05 PM - 10 April, 2013
www.youtube.com

its finally ready! (or at least in beta!!!)
Markabre 1:10 PM - 10 April, 2013
It will be here any moment now.

I wonder if Pioneer allowed them to put slip mode on all the other controllers after getting a nice exclusivity window with the SX.

Too little too late though. Despite being a step forward from Itch 2.2. the VCI-400SE + Midifighter + Traktor runs rings around this.

I admit that Serato's simplicity can make for a more elegant experience, however. I just find the platform irritatingly slow moving and inflexible.
Markabre 1:11 PM - 10 April, 2013
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:39 PM - 10 April, 2013
This comes out just as i send mine back for warranty repair lol. Serato last to spread news of there OWN software lol they are late at everything lmao
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:40 PM - 10 April, 2013
VCI-400 Tracktor version looks badass! Serato version looks tacky! oh dear!
Markabre 1:48 PM - 10 April, 2013
Yeah it looks like a parody 80s version
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:50 PM - 10 April, 2013
infact vci-380 metal/silver jog wheels with white leds would look nice.
Markabre 1:52 PM - 10 April, 2013
Would be nice if they made a variety of VCI-400 parts including wheels available and we could customise our own to our individual taste.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:54 PM - 10 April, 2013
Quote:
Would be nice if they made a variety of VCI-400 parts including wheels available and we could customise our own to our individual taste.

+1 i guess you could just buy the spare part from Vestax but i bet it would be pricey!
Markabre 1:59 PM - 10 April, 2013

+1 i guess you could just buy the spare part from Vestax but i bet it would be pricey!

I think Vestax request your serial no. when sending out spare parts, so you'd have to be a bit sneaky. It'd fit into the whole marketing message of one mappable, customisable controller for any software and any taste really well.
Bozo 2:09 PM - 10 April, 2013
www.digitaldjtips.com

Quote:
We spoke about the new mapping with Mike from Vestax, and he is particularly happy with the addition of the slip mode.
We also had the chance to have a quick play ourselves as well, and we liked the way the effects have been mapped to work with the Vestax VCI-380′s pads, the ping pong delay being particularly fun.
DJSP1KE 2:14 PM - 10 April, 2013
that 380 looks nice , shame we cant reolace the part of the wheels for custom ones ,

wonder when this will be available to download
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:17 PM - 10 April, 2013
they say now! but you cant so maybe when new Zealand wake up and get to work it might be available. although they are first to start the day so seems strange at that show on 10th they been ble to say you can download it now. hmmm i gotta wait 3-4weeks anyway as mine has gone for repair so back to SSL for me Grrrrr
DJSP1KE 2:32 PM - 10 April, 2013
Hopefully it will be fully fixed when its back tho ready to go. And Dj will be up and running without to many issues 👊
Bozo 2:36 PM - 10 April, 2013
Quote:
that 380 looks nice , shame we cant reolace the part of the wheels for custom ones ,

wonder when this will be available to download

Yes, and nothing for the VCI 380 on 12inch skinz :(
FabulousFrequencies 5:15 PM - 10 April, 2013
Contact Vestax. Order the parts like you own it. I have never been asked for a serial number and although I think one model looks better than the other, I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think the different mappings force different screening on buttons that might be assigned differently. jmho.
DJ LIL M 9:19 PM - 10 April, 2013
So whats the hold up then?
wadup 3:51 AM - 11 April, 2013
all of this got me excited was hoping for a release tonight or an update from serato now that we know that the vci 380 support is finish
DJ Sidies 7:44 AM - 11 April, 2013
Where is it
???????
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:18 AM - 11 April, 2013
Serato Dick Teasing lol
DJSP1KE 9:03 AM - 11 April, 2013
Maybe it was just a test piece for the show , the actual one may not be fully ready for public for weeks
dj lashes 10:24 AM - 11 April, 2013
still waiting
Markabre 3:28 PM - 11 April, 2013
If Vestax or even just a prominent Digital DJ site posted that this update would be available imminently as fact and that wasn't quite the case..

..either way wouldn't it be professional to state such a thing publicly? Otherwise one might appear a little disorganised or out of touch. I mean I assume a launch at Musikmesse has been the intention for quite some time?
wadup 4:13 PM - 11 April, 2013
Quote:
I assume a launch at Musikmesse has been the intention for quite some time?

this is why i was expecting some sort of update from serato... i assume they can talk about it now since it was shown at Musikmesse
XRM5 4:35 PM - 11 April, 2013
There was a similar kind of half-reveal with the SX at the BPM show I think, where Pioneer showed off what they could but Serato was absent/silent & didn't follow up for another week or two, and I think then only with screenshots.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:56 PM - 11 April, 2013
No BPM show was just the controller No Software and a release date was given.
XRM5 5:42 PM - 11 April, 2013
So it was kind of a similar case of the hardware company putting out what they had at the show while Serato took their time.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:47 PM - 11 April, 2013
Not at all serato gave a release date for serato dj as a software not tobe seen before that date.
SiRocket 9:07 AM - 18 April, 2013
really sad to see posts like this about a new product released..... not really fond of the state of serato, online, behind the scenes, on the forums, on the show floor (namm has been depressing), and on the communication... there is no help anymore, it's all "oh we will holler when we figure things out, while you are just hanging there"... and i'm not talking about people trying to get new features, stability is the damn key here...

not feeling it at all..
KDHRamsay 9:20 AM - 18 April, 2013
Both Vestax and Serato seem to pay attention to their Facebook pages at www.facebook.com and www.facebook.com The recent drop to $99 for the DJ upgrade caused an absolute howl of protests and complaints about a lack of updates, which were franticly replied to by some apologetic marketing dude. No further forward on the information though but it is a much more public way of telling Serato exactly how they feel they are being treated.
KDHRamsay 8:45 PM - 18 April, 2013
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your feedback
DJ Guido 9:00 PM - 18 April, 2013
thanks Aaron.. I like to wait for a good solution
Big Pops 9:05 PM - 18 April, 2013
Aaron could you at least give us a heads up on the new features
DJSP1KE 9:40 PM - 18 April, 2013
will the 380 be able to have coloured lit pads for the different coloured cue points , or is this something between vestax and serato , thank you

really looking forward to this release , feels like forever
Dj cuervo 10:14 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Hello VCI-380 family!

Before everyone goes hollering at Sam on Facebook, could I just clarify things a little here as it's a great way to reach out to all of you in one go.

Serato DJ for the VCI-380 is coming very soon. I realise it's frustrating to hear that with no specific dates attached, but there are a number of reasons for it - foremost of which is being 100% sure we are as happy as we can be before releasing.

We sincerely do want all our users to have the best experience possible with our products and constantly strive to make that a reality. The staggered release of Serato DJ for Intro and ITCH controllers has been to this end.

Feel free to holler back at me here, but please understand if I let a few posts gather before responding as a lot of other users would suffer if I spent all day here answering each post. I'm a nice guy so as much as I appreciate your understandable frustration, please try to keep things civil because I won't be getting into any tit for tats.

I'll answer everything as honestly and openly as I can, but please understand there are things I won't be able to tell you - a specific date for release, for example :) I also won't discuss company strategy or any such subject matter that's well beyond my purview.

Aaron

No such love for the first ITCH controller VCI 300
J.J. 11:24 PM - 18 April, 2013
Wow, a Serato representative. :)

Where is the 19" Rackmount for the VCI-380 in North America? I've asked Vestax countless times already.

Will the Color Pads reflect the color of the Cue Points like the first promotional video?

Will a large database be supported in Serato DJ?

DigitalDJTips said SLIP mode is supported for the VCI-380. What button engages it? By the way, it's Super cool you are adding this. Any new features that will be added/supported?

Itch has an easter egg that lets the LOW Bass EQ be used as a Low & High Pass Filter (Rotate both Left Low EQ and High EQ simultaneously counter clockwise, then back to middle twice, then Alt+,). Will we be able to use this in Serato DJ?

How do you turn On/Off a certain loop in Serato DJ? I don't want to jump to it like in Itch.
Dj cuervo 11:50 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Woah DJ cuervo... plenty of love for the VCI-300 :) It just ain't what this thread is about.

Feel free to ask away about the VCI-300 as well. Serato DJ is coming soon for it too, but not as soon as the VCI-380, I'm afraid. There were quite a few inputs for how the schedule was determined and the VCI-380 got priority.

@DJSP1KE - The pads for cue points will be all one colour as of now, but it is something we are continuing to look at for the future.

Still Spring???
wadup 1:13 AM - 19 April, 2013
You guys keep saying very soon, its around the corner, not too far off now.....I'm getting the impression its gonna be release anyday now.... but in actuallity its been 3wks aready. Its better if u just update us with the progress or the phase of testing that is going on.... then we can draw our conclusion of when its going to be relea
wadup 1:31 AM - 19 April, 2013
I hear yah.....btw can't wait to start using vci 380 with SDJ.... its so darn hard to go back to itch after using sdj....
pdidy 3:30 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Finally i changed my vci 380 for an semi-new vci 400, Serato dj it's a really nice software, but i don't know how they mapping all the fx with four knobs, the vci 380 it's a incredible controller but it was designed for Itch... I have curiosity about how they map the 380 for the new serato dj.

you basically downgraded. why would you do that ?
DJSP1KE 6:35 AM - 19 April, 2013
Thanks for the reply arron , and yeah I wana hear you say it's good , at least it sounds promising that way ,

I would like to see the cue colours but its not a critical thing , would just be a nice feature , but if I had a perfect running SDJ AND 380 I would let the colours go for now 😄
serkan 9:27 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:

The VCI-380 is definitely one of my favourite controllers, but I moved over to the DDJ-SX when it dropped with Serato DJ

Because you knew how long it would take!

scnr :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:54 AM - 19 April, 2013
Sort cues in time order would be heaven sent!! Also like the idea of coloured cues.
XRM5 11:16 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
The 'Super Filter' feature from ITCH is not in Serato DJ mostly because the HPF/LPF iZotope effect in Serato DJ is ace and it's much easier to select it as an effect and roll with it.

The DDJ-SX has a 1-knob filter on each channel along with the EQ that's totally separate from the FX section. Does the 380 version of Serato DJ not have these extra per-channel filters?
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:18 AM - 19 April, 2013
The 380 is very limited with fx. Only has two knobs each channel. Then has the pad fx. Really going to need to map another controller for full fx use.
XRM5 11:47 AM - 19 April, 2013
I'll be glad to map it if that's how it works out. But I need those filters to be there.
WarpNote 12:48 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
The 'Super Filter' feature from ITCH is not in Serato DJ mostly because the HPF/LPF iZotope effect in Serato DJ is ace and it's much easier to select it as an effect and roll with it.

The DDJ-SX has a 1-knob filter on each channel along with the EQ that's totally separate from the FX section. Does the 380 version of Serato DJ not have these extra per-channel filters?

Those filters are hardware filters, built into the SX unit.
XRM5 1:19 PM - 19 April, 2013
In mixer mode they're hardware filters.

But when it's used as a controller the mixing happens inside the software, so the knobs are just controlling software versions of those filters. Those should be available to everybody.
WarpNote 3:20 PM - 19 April, 2013
Are you sure about that?
Bozo 3:30 PM - 19 April, 2013
Yes the ddj sx is on internal mixing, the line IN are not routed to the soundcard, this is one of the reason why you can't apply effect with the mic.
dj-nice 4:19 PM - 19 April, 2013
Arron E dont answer this.......

Quote:
Will a large database be supported in Serato DJ?

by the way....SDJ will support large Database but cant handle it without crash ;-)
happy crashes to all users (mostly mobile dj's) with big Database / crate structures...
DJSP1KE 4:21 PM - 19 April, 2013
What do you class big , mines about 400gig broken down over about 30folders or so
dj-nice 4:31 PM - 19 April, 2013
big = 35-40 K Tracks in 950 crates
i shrinked down to 600 crates but this is not enough ;-)

this was ported from another DJ software with was grown up in last 15 Years to 950 crates / playlists. No problem there (alcatech BPM Studio pro)

to 380 awaiting users:
i use a 400 and must say, the midimapping is sometimes very funny. Serato did not map one knob (PARAM, multifunctional!) and also forgot some essential funktions. Also the forgot to write down some funktions in the qickmanual. So you spend hours with try & error. Not really professional.....
DJSP1KE 4:33 PM - 19 April, 2013
Will have to see how it fares up when it drops then
Dr. Sha 2:50 AM - 20 April, 2013
Question 2 Aaron
I look version Serato DJ 1.1.2 and I see, that to users of ITCH the Extended Display Mode option is more habitual. But in this option there is no "Tempo Matching Display". It is very inconvenient. Whether it is planned to include in the following "Tempo Matching Display" in Extended Display Mode?
VinnyBlanc 8:23 PM - 20 April, 2013
I just sold my DDJ-SX and picked up a VCI-380 and only complaint is lack of beat-gridding functions on the controller. Can't wait to start using DJ again instead of itch...

PS it is a little deceiving that in the original PROMO video for the 380 that the pads are lit up to match the color of the cue points in the software respectively...
VinnyBlanc 8:25 PM - 20 April, 2013
Also,

Since Serato DJ has the "jump to loop" or "activate loop" functionality, will there be a way to do either via the vci-380 itself?
damehype 5:53 AM - 21 April, 2013
Yes
J.J. 5:34 AM - 22 April, 2013
I would give up the auto loops/playback section for the 'Tempo Matching Display'.

www.poweronplay.com
phatbob 6:46 AM - 22 April, 2013
Then how are you going to tell what auto loop length you're got set when using a controller like the 400, which has a rotary control for that? Psychically?
Kepik 9:39 PM - 22 April, 2013
I NEVER even use the Tempo and Beatmatching display. Serato should make these an option to enable/disable to give real estate space for other displays
Big Pops 3:48 AM - 23 April, 2013
They probley could put some of the controls to
enable on the set up page if the user desire to,
dj lashes 10:59 AM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
They probley could put some of the controls to
enable on the set up page if the user desire to,

yeah for real just like with the sp6 you can pick what you like to see wave, levels, master..ect
Dr. Sha 11:25 AM - 23 April, 2013
2.0 Question 2 Aaron
Extended Display Mode is habitual to users of ITCH. Besides, wide "Main Waveform Display" allows to see comfortably movement of a track and to react to recessions and dynamics in music. "Tempo matching display" is useful when there is no good monitor acoustics. Can be as option - having slightly reduced, to displace it in the top column. Where "Serato DJ" inscription.
The idea - to put some of the controls to enable on the set up page if the user desire to, is very good.
haze324 9:13 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
Icicles in Extended view is something we'll consider - I'll log it as a feature request so it stays on our list to think about.

Beyond that, it seems like some of the suggestions are leaning towards a fully customisable GUI, which I totally get, but is definitely a #future 'would like'.

I think regardless of what comes out, there will always be someone that asks for something else. It's not often you hear folks asking for changes in SSL's GUI. I'd say the biggest request is adding the decimal point to all views. I think it looks great and am looking fwd to the next release, soon hopefully.
DJ dVO 9:30 PM - 23 April, 2013
In my view, Serato DJ is becoming an equivalent of an Android OS. Very tailored specific for the various systems and it is becoming fragmented. Eventually, something will give.

I am hopeful that one day Rane buys Serato or vice versa and launch its own hardware/software pack! :)
wadup 2:43 AM - 26 April, 2013
everything went so quiet..... no more "coming soon"statement. my Vci 380 still collecting dust as i refused to use itch. Im hoping we'll have a release by the end of the month atleast
prizo 6:13 PM - 26 April, 2013
@Aaron E -- Im sure I can speak for most djs here that the most important thing is stability and support for large database. I currently have 30k songs within a 30 crate / 250 sub crate structure and have plenty of problems in itch and as of late ssl. (Think my crates may be corrupt, but thats a different story).

What is the max amount of memory the software can use before crash? 1.25 like ssl?
dj-nice 7:15 PM - 26 April, 2013
Quote:
What is the max amount of memory the software can use before crash? 1.25 like ssl?

for me, at every crash, the used RAM (taskmanager) is about 1.2 GB.
Dj _Rewind 3:34 PM - 28 April, 2013
Where is the the Software Update for the Vci 380 Come on Serato you guy took so long.
Or you guy need 200 for the update because that is the only way we can get it fast. I hate using the Itch because of the bugs and de volumen drops I would rather use Virtual dj. I fell rip off with the purchase of the vci 380 we never got a good software always promises. 1000 dollars sitting in my closet collecting dust :(
dj-nice 3:47 PM - 28 April, 2013
@ DJ Rewind
SDJ has most of the bugs from Itch
Dj _Rewind 3:50 PM - 28 April, 2013
No shit man that sucks is just itch with the name of serato dj with different skin right ?
can you suggest me a good controller that don't have too much problems con software something similar to the vci 380
DJSP1KE 4:11 PM - 28 April, 2013
Nah it's not the same , bugs happen , they just need to speed up the sorting out process ,

There isn't a controller that dosent have issues , but the 380 deserves a program that can unleash its full potential and hopefully serato dj will eventually be there
Melvin Gauld 5:06 PM - 28 April, 2013
Hurry up with the SDJ Release already, Itch is a nightmare. In most instances the app hangs during launch - Need to end process in Task Manager and then, sometimes its starts up after going through this process a few times - took me about 20 minutes to get it fired up over the weekend. Also, random sound dropouts. Its a joke. How did Serato get such a good rep? I would have to imagine Scratch Live is the nuts because my experience so far has gone from bad to worse with Itch as I add more of my collection into the programme. I've been careful to only add what I really want in there because I've read about the issues in this respect. Got almost 4TB of music loaded & scanned into Traktor, yes it took bloody ages to do but now boots into the UI in under 30 seconds and never has any problems and I don't use the term never lightly.. Lets hope this release addresses all the well documented issues or I'm going to sell and go back to something I can count on. Such a shame because there are some really great elements to the software. Based on a lot of users comments re SDJ from users oj other devices it looks like my hopes & wishes might have been misplaced misplaced :-(
Dj _Rewind 2:15 AM - 30 April, 2013
NEVER NEVER AGAIN.
XRM5 2:39 AM - 30 April, 2013
WTF? We are just waiting for Serato to map the MIDI and/or HID.

And it's been six months.

If you set up a system where just mapping new MIDI messages for your software is backbreaking, months-long work, something is just wrong.

And your future is in trouble because you'll never be done chasing the next hardware releases long enough to do anything new and significant.

The mapping system could have been left open to the end user to set up like with Traktor and Ableton, or they could have locked it down to one map spec & made the hardware companies figure out how to match it and get the bugs out. Either way, with a system like that Serato DJ could have launched for every controller on day one. Instead they've chosen fragmentation again & again like DJ dVO said, and no one is happy because everybody winds up waiting around too long and missing out on something or other.
djallstyle 2:46 AM - 30 April, 2013
I'm glad y'all gotta wait..... I use the SX..... Keep waiting!!!! Lol...... J/k........
J.J. 5:10 AM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
WTF? We are just waiting for Serato to map the MIDI.

This.

Plus we hope they fix the large database crashing.

Please add the Pad Color to correspond to the Hot Cue Color. Is the Cue on the screen 6 or 7? Color coding takes the guessing out.

Please add 1 button push from Deck to Sampler instead of having to use your mouse to drag and drop.

Allow us to override the default controller's MIDI mapping. Like the Rane 68, have a check in Hardware to: Allow MIDI assign of mixer controls

Where is the Gater FX?

Please add 1 button load Bank with 6 Samples.
dj-nice 11:08 AM - 30 April, 2013
lol.....
Quote:
Quote:
Plus we hope they fix the large database crashing.

first fix it ..... and then add other Midi controller. We are waiting for over 18 Month and 2.345.344 crashes
dj lashes 11:08 AM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
Please add 1 button push from Deck to Sampler instead of having to use your mouse to drag and drop.

+1 and +1 more
Melvin Gauld 12:16 PM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
I'm glad y'all gotta wait..... I use the SX..... Keep waiting!!!! Lol...... J/k........

I just had a go of the DDJ SX and you can't use the needle search slider to speed up / slow down the slicer......it's got silly parameter button, you just can't apply the same effect if you were able to use the ribbon. Also the midi is locked down so you can reassign the controls. Great piece of kit bar that though. :-)
XRM5 8:57 PM - 30 April, 2013
So the slicer actually works differently on the SX?
Melvin Gauld 10:22 PM - 30 April, 2013
Yup as above and for me it's a bit of a killer as far as the ddj sx is concerned. Seems the midi is locked down too so you can't amend it unless I'm missing something. The more I explore the more I realize traktor versus serato is a bit of a non competition. I'm all for stability but to be honest with the lack of options it's all a bit of a cop out on seratos side as far as I'm concerned. :-(
Melvin Gauld 10:26 PM - 30 April, 2013
It's really bloody annoying tbh. Why can't functionality trump the locking shit down within a walled garden bollox. It works for Apple but Serato isn't apple FFS. Someone needs a reality check!!
wadup 11:37 PM - 30 April, 2013
@Aaron E.... this buzz is going on for over a month...trust me its been kill already..all we wanna see is a release
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:46 PM - 30 April, 2013
wadup 11:48 PM - 30 April, 2013
I honestly love serato....but this wait and un professionalism is really annoying. Gonna bite the bullet and purchase traktor plus learn it. Wish me luck ;)
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:50 PM - 30 April, 2013
Best of luck wadup :(

Sorry to see you go! We'll always be here for ya though :)
wadup 12:15 AM - 1 May, 2013
Thank you martin c... just purchase a copy...will update you guys
Serato
Brian K 12:21 AM - 1 May, 2013
Hold on to that receipt, wadup! You know...just in case your wildest dreams come true today. And there's no day like today =]
Serato
Brian K 12:24 AM - 1 May, 2013
Whoop, there it is! Enjoy, folks!!
Kepik 12:25 AM - 1 May, 2013
It's finally here! Rejoice!!
wadup 12:29 AM - 1 May, 2013
Are you serious...thanks a lot guys....
VinnyBlanc 12:40 AM - 1 May, 2013
TNGHT - R U Ready....!!!
DJ dVO 12:41 AM - 1 May, 2013
Just downloaded.....
DJ dVO 12:45 AM - 1 May, 2013
Timely. Having a gig this whole weekend. Now, is it stable enough to play live? Testing as we speak.... :)
DJ dVO 1:08 AM - 1 May, 2013
First impression: much much much cleaner look than the version first released. Not a big fan of grey colour for tracks that have already been played. Barely tell the difference between grey and white. Still too much reliance on keypad input for some of the controls.

Overall: I am pleased and impressed.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:11 AM - 1 May, 2013
Great to hear DJdVO :)

A few people have made mention about the grey color not being as easy to see as bright green. We hope to be able to do something about this at some stage in the future.

Which controls did you need to use your keypad for? Did you check the Quickstart Guide to see what all the buttons can do? You can get it from here: serato.com
Bozo 1:16 AM - 1 May, 2013
<<<<<< Happy
DJ dVO 2:08 AM - 1 May, 2013
I hate user manuals! LOL

I haven't fully tried but I was referring to selecting 8 cues or 4 cues and 4 loops, etc..

Any way to adjust the monitoring/cue volume? Mine greyed out for no reason.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:09 AM - 1 May, 2013
Hmmm so far so good. Testing the Slicer and there are no indicator to what beat group you are in. Or is it there? Im not seeing it :)

yes the Monitor/cue volume are grayed out on my VCI380 too
DJ dVO 2:12 AM - 1 May, 2013
And it is much lower than Itch's too.
DJ dVO 2:24 AM - 1 May, 2013
can that be said for master control? :)

I do not think it would be a conflict. It would act similarly as the gain controls.

Allow increased or lowered dBA for monitor would be tremendous.
thebulge 7:14 AM - 1 May, 2013
It's cracking. LOOOOOOVING manual loops again!!! New pad colour feedback is SO much better (the old autoloop was terrible ... green in one mode, green in the other).

I dig the new/traditional loop bank toggle mode, but still nothing can compare to the inspired brilliance and simplicity of the VCI-300 cue-linked-to-loop implementation. Whoever came up with that deserves a medal. When I first saw SDJ I thought it might a mode might come to my 8 pad bank on the 380 (maybe in the future pretty please? :).

4 cues and 4 loops per track would be enough for me (and I am sure lots of people) and not jumping between pad modes to access loops and cues would be great.

That all being said, I am TOTALLY loving SDJ for my 380 and it's worth the wait for me. Looking forward to gigging with it this weekend!

Thanks Serato friends!
DJSP1KE 7:57 AM - 1 May, 2013
Looking Forward to Giving This a Blast Tonight , Sounds Promising With what ive read so far
Melvin Gauld 8:48 AM - 1 May, 2013
Looking forward to testing it out this evening.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:38 AM - 1 May, 2013
YES!!! Manual Loops!!! and Yes you can now trigger saved loops and they DO NOT JUMP to the loop!!

See atuo loop has changed tho 4 bar is now 2 bar loop. also is a dark blue colour now.

also we have slip mode now!
DJSP1KE 10:50 AM - 1 May, 2013
How's it coping with people's large folders
DJ dVO 11:02 AM - 1 May, 2013
There is a Smart Loop should people got used to the other unconventional loop! :)

Gonna rescan my library.....
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:43 PM - 1 May, 2013
See this VCI-380 Group on facebook seems good place to share info. ect ---> www.facebook.com
Bozo 5:59 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
YES!!! Manual Loops!!! and Yes you can now trigger saved loops and they DO NOT JUMP to the loop!!

You can do both : reloop by pressing shift, and without having to exit the loop.

Looks like the touch ribbon in loop and roll mode is not assigned.
serkan 8:07 PM - 1 May, 2013
I just played a little more with SDJ 1.2.0...

I love how they mapped the effects as I wasn't a big fan of the Pad FX. Now I have a great choice of that I really dig.

I don't like the light blue LEDs on the loops section as it's not readable in bright environments.

I haven't figured out yet what slip mode does.
Marv Incredible 9:29 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
I haven't figured out yet what slip mode does.

Slip mode is very similar to loop rool. i.e. if you stop, juggle or scratch the deck whilst playing, the track will resume from where it would have been had you not touched it.

Pretty bad ass. And saves me personally from having to use up a second deck when I have to instant-double to get the same effect.
J.J. 12:09 AM - 2 May, 2013
Slip Mode is the shiznick. I can't wait to get home and try out the new software.

How is Serato DJ 1.2 working with everyones VCI-380?

Any crashes?

Will it support a large library like Scratch Live?

Are you Re-Analyzing your files?

How does it compare to ITCH? What features are missed in ITCH like Day Mode?

How well does it work with Serato Video? Is video integrated like it was in Itch and Scratch Live.

Have you recorded a set?

Any comments on the new effects compared to Itch? What effect combination have you tried and liked?
prizo 5:28 AM - 2 May, 2013
Yes!! The most important question in my eyes:

Is it stable? Does it support a large library and if so how many files / crates have you tested it with?

Gonna break the seal and try it out tomorrow...
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:27 AM - 2 May, 2013
You only have to take a little look on the forums to see it does NOT

* handel large librarys
* can't record external inputs, Line/Mic.
* No easter eggs from itch
* some views are different
* no day/night mode
* played tracks are light grey insted of bright green
* no video view

Thats just off top of my head, but in my eyes apart from the above its sooo much better than itch.

Will test it out all weekend to see if it is as stable.
Bozo 8:44 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
its sooo much better than itch.

Yes, but some things are annoying :
The FWD/BACK buttons are not opening the crate anymore but act as the TAB button.
On multi FX mode, the PAD FX and regular FX select knobs are controling the same beat parameter.
The touch ribbons are not assigned on loop/loop roll and hot cue mode.
The regular FX select knobs push (yeah, it's a push knob :D) are still not assigned.

On Serato Dj I would add : Where do we see the quantization parameter of the slicer ?

Quote:
* can't record external inputs, Line/Mic.

I do not know if this is possible, the inputs are routed directly to the sound card ?
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:01 AM - 2 May, 2013
Good points i don't realy mess about with the fx much and i have also never used the touch strip so thats why i guess i havnt noticed them.

If you think things are missing / no rite / you have a better way of them working i would hit it up in the serato dj vestax help forum just so serato staff can have some idea on this.

Anything else anyone has noticed is missing from itch or is not very good/buggy?
KDHRamsay 9:20 AM - 2 May, 2013
It may be just me but the third fx pot in the 'multi-fx' setting is not mapped. If you select the single fx view all three parameters can be controlled using a combination of the normal controls and shift-pad fx. In the 'multi' setting the shift button has no effect and the third effect cant be switched on.
Pete Input 9:32 AM - 2 May, 2013
- SP6-player losing sync when switching banks.
- Loops are not showing in "coloured" (like ITCH), unless you lock them first.
- In the VCI-380, the Multi-FX is a joke. You can only use 1 FX at once. The whole idea should be to use 3 FX at the same time in 1 knob. Like: select FX's (all 3), select FX ON and twist the knob. Now all 3 FX's are ON and live together.
Pete Input 9:41 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:

Sorry, i mean Pre-made loops.
Bozo 9:52 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
- In the VCI-380, the Multi-FX is a joke. You can only use 1 FX at once.

You can use 2 FX at the same time with the pad fx : one of my favorite combination is the roll or slicer + LPF on regular FX + 1/2 or 3/4 delay (or pan) on pad FX, all of this with one hand.

Quote:
It may be just me but the third fx pot in the 'multi-fx' setting is not mapped.

No, i have the same as you, and it's not a lack of midi control (see the list above : serato.com). But you can rout the other fx modul which was impossible on ITCH.
BTW i don't know if it's psychological but i feel like the Pad Fx are smoother to use.
KDHRamsay 9:57 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
BTW i don't know if it's psychological but i feel like the Pad Fx are smoother to use.

Definitely seems more responsive
Pete Input 10:26 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
]
You can use 2 FX at the same time with the pad fx : one of my favorite combination is the roll or slicer + LPF on regular FX + 1/2 or 3/4 delay (or pan) on pad FX, all of this with one hand.

Yeah, i know, but it's not the same as 3 FX layered together and controlling them together with 1 knob. And maybe i don't wanna use PAD-FX for my vocal breaks (or something), because then there are something more, ie Slicer or Loop Roll, and i don't want them to be there for that moment.
prizo 10:28 AM - 2 May, 2013
Very impressed with serato dj as of yet. Sound quality is a thousand times better, especially within headphone cue! Here I thought my headphones were blown, realy it was just shitty itch the whole time.

Where is the single / continuous button for continuous playback of songs?? Can't find it
prizo 10:33 AM - 2 May, 2013
Never mind, found it. Weird spot. Why can't you put these buttons in the same spot? I swear these guys from Serato like messing with us! lol

Great jobs guys, so far I am thoroughly impressed. No crashing, no major lagging. Much better sound quality and build. I am going to continue to downsize my library regardless. Spring cleaning yall!!
Pete Input 10:40 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Very impressed with serato dj as of yet. Sound quality is a thousand times better, especially within headphone cue! Here I thought my headphones were blown, realy it was just shitty itch the whole time.

I noticed that too.
prizo 10:45 AM - 2 May, 2013
Funny thing is I was reading somewhere that it was actually worse volume wise than itch, so I bought an external headphone amplifier this morning that I have been looking at. My stupid ass fault for not testing first lol
Bozo 11:11 AM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Yeah, i know, but it's not the same as 3 FX layered together and controlling them together with 1 knob. And maybe i don't wanna use PAD-FX for my vocal breaks (or something), because then there are something more, ie Slicer or Loop Roll, and i don't want them to be there for that moment.

I understand, I think for what you want to do a secondary controller is essential.
if only we could re-assign unused VCI 380 buttons (did you know that touch ribbon send different midi notes in each mode?)

The sp6 is great, it's good that we can map the nudge button and the pitch slider.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:32 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Saved loops light up for me in the saved loops pad.

Is this what you mean???
Pete Input 2:07 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:

I understand, I think for what you want to do a secondary controller is essential.

Yeah, maybe... I like the Multi FX with PAD, but i prefer just FX's without another stuff.
At for this moment the 2 normal FX's are OK, because i can route them both to the master. With ITCH you can't.
Pete Input 2:25 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saved loops light up for me in the saved loops pad.

Is this what you mean???

No.
I mean.. when you load a track with a pre-made loop, ITCH show the loop at dark green in the waveform, so you know there is a loop. Then you can activate it and it goes bright green.
In SDJ it doesn't show the loop-colour (dark blue) in the waveform when i load the same track (or a different track). First i found out that there is a lock-icon (for loops) in the SDJ, but that doesn't help. Have to re-analyze maybe?
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:55 PM - 2 May, 2013
still not 100% what you mean any change of a screen shot or video of this issue?
serkan 4:21 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:

The FWD/BACK buttons are not opening the crate anymore but act as the TAB button.

Noticed that yesterday. Definitely a bug.
dj-nice 4:25 PM - 2 May, 2013
not a special 380 problem.....
Pete Input 6:46 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
still not 100% what you mean any change of a screen shot or video of this issue?

In ITCH, if i load a track with pre-made loop on the beginning of the song, i can see the loop in a big waveform. If i load a same track in SDJ, i can not see the pre-made loop in the waveform.
phatbob 7:55 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

In ITCH, if i load a track with pre-made loop on the beginning of the song, i can see the loop in a big waveform. If i load a same track in SDJ, i can not see the pre-made loop in the waveform.

But now you have a nice display of all your loops, with what time they are set to.

In Itch, there was literally no way to know which loop in the waveform related to which saved loop slot.
DJSP1KE 8:35 PM - 2 May, 2013
Been Playing Tonight

Sound - Wicked , seems alot cleaner than itch
Fx - 100x better than itch
Speed - Seems alot more responsive

Hassle free so far , no glitches or crashes , but i rarely did in itch

Negatives :

Played track Colour , but i think this has been said by many

overall its a huge improvement , very happy indeed , just need to get used to the layout as things are in different places and more to play with

Thank You Serato
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:49 PM - 3 May, 2013
So last night went spot on, the sound quality seemed crisper to me and also was outputting a much hotter output. Headphones were loads louder. No dropouts at all.

Only thing that i messed up with was the auto loops. The pads loop lenth changes by the view of the on screen loop lenths! Defo through me off a few times. Have to keep a watch on that one.

Also to get to manual loops you HAVE to first press ROLL then you can press SHIFT + ROLL.

so if your in cue pads and press SHIFT + ROLL nothing happens.

I dont see why its not like the sampler you can press SHIFT + ROLL when on any pad level to get to the manual loops.

Fx are loads better.

So ya not bad so far.
DJSP1KE 12:51 PM - 3 May, 2013
Sounds good bro , defo glad I kept the 380 , it's really come on with this software

If them few things get sorted were on a. Winner
thebulge 9:47 PM - 3 May, 2013
Press Roll twice to get into manual loops.
thebulge 9:53 PM - 3 May, 2013
Thought I might be able to play with some midi mapping on my old vfx1, seems that the stepped knobs send something funny. Only buttons and the depth knob mapped ok.

I am sure the midi mapping will improve, but if anyone else has has sucess with a vfx1 I'd love to hear.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:05 PM - 3 May, 2013
Quote:
Press Roll twice to get into manual loops.

Lol how did i miss that haha just tried (blond moment)

Cheers
jerome 11:33 PM - 5 May, 2013
hello i've got a problem with my vci 380 & serato dj 1.2 .I play in 2 gigs and after 2 hours the vci 380 stoped (crispy sounds) .I need to re start my vci 380 .No wi fi, ,no bluetooth .i change my usb cable and i try another usb port on my mac .Could you help me please?
prizo 2:40 AM - 7 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But now you have a nice display of all your loops, with what time they are set to.

In Itch, there was literally no way to know which loop in the waveform related to which saved loop slot.

Agreed. It would be nice to have both tho. All in all, new software its million times better. Just need to get used to all minor differences.
Maskrider 1:02 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
So last night went spot on, the sound quality seemed crisper to me and also was outputting a much hotter output. Headphones were loads louder. No dropouts at all.

Only thing that i messed up with was the auto loops. The pads loop lenth changes by the view of the on screen loop lenths! Defo through me off a few times. Have to keep a watch on that one.

Also to get to manual loops you HAVE to first press ROLL then you can press SHIFT + ROLL.

so if your in cue pads and press SHIFT + ROLL nothing happens.

I dont see why its not like the sampler you can press SHIFT + ROLL when on any pad level to get to the manual loops.

Fx are loads better.

So ya not bad so far.

Just don't forget to turn off the WIFI coz it causes Dropouts galore.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:01 PM - 8 May, 2013
I had wifi on to connect to my iphone to use touchosc and it was fine.
J.J. 5:36 PM - 8 May, 2013
Is there a way on a MAC to:

Once you're connected to a certain WiFi connection, tell it to STOP looking every 15 seconds or so for a new one?

I'm thinking of the low latency wireless iPad app called MIDI Deck or Freestyler DMX Lite.

I would like to get touchosc. LJ_WOOLSEY, is it low latency?
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:09 PM - 8 May, 2013
Its ok but not lightening. And when left idle for awhile there is big latency.
Maskrider 3:28 AM - 9 May, 2013
I don't know but for some reason it causes drop outs on me
Pete Input 11:29 AM - 9 May, 2013
Here are my thoughts of the Serato DJ and VCI-380 so far:

- Channel LED's are more accurate in ITCH than SDJ.

- 50% of the time, the saved loop's are not visible in the main waveform when i load a song. Luckily i have made green cue-points to mark them, so i know they are there and i can pick them up.

- Sync in SP6 is not working by default (like in ITCH) when you open SDJ. And if you change the bank, sync is gone too. You have to set the sync again in all slots.

- SP6 main volume also go to full blast when you open the SDJ. In ITCH, it always stay the same.

- SP6 can't route different slots in different channels, like in ITCH.

- "Crossfade disabled"-message pop up every 45 seconds on the screen. I don't need that message, because i want my crossfade to be off.

- In offline-mode, there is still not elapsed / remain time display. Is that so hard to do?

- Distortion-FX comes much louder than other FX's. It's not usable.

- FX-bank do not save audio routing. All the other things are saved.

- FX's doing some weird shit. I have selected normal FX-mode and some times i get 2 different FX together and there is only 1 available. Yesterday, i picked up echo and i got echo + LPF !!! Last week, i don't have even selected FX ON and still i hear 2 or 3 FX together when i move the depth-knob !!!!! One time i picked up Pan Delay in multi FX-mode (FX ON) and i got Pan Delay + HPF with twisting only depth-knob !!!

- SDJ eats much more battery than ITCH.

- Slicer has better "touch" than ITCH and the PAD-lights are now rolling "under" if you press the PAD's. (In ITCH, they stop if you press the PAD's.)
DJSP1KE 11:51 AM - 9 May, 2013
yea the sp-6 comments are spot on , very low volume level , hate using the ribbon stip to swop banks , and still cuts off the sample when swopping banks ,

these do need sorting aswell as the daft grey colour , who ever decided that has some serious issues
J.J. 7:08 PM - 9 May, 2013
The first thing I noticed was no Expand/Contract a crate. Seriously Serato, the Back, Forward and Scroll Push button all do the same thing: TAB.

Who Beta tests these things? The first thing I did was try to load a song off a certain crate.

Open Serato DJ to Public Beta so these things won't get released. Now we have to wait months for another controller to get support just we can get an update. VERY SAD.
Marv Incredible 9:07 PM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
Open Serato DJ to Public Beta so these things won't get released. Now we have to wait months for another controller to get support just we can get an update. VERY SAD.

Either this or expand the private beta to include more people who really know what they're doing.
Maskrider 9:46 PM - 9 May, 2013
I doubt it if they did a private beta on this one.
DJ Prashant 11:50 PM - 9 May, 2013
Hi Friends,

I am enjoying the new Serato DJ on my NS6 & just bought VCI-380 as well.

On VCI-380 I am not sure how to enable PAD FX so that the pads will control FX parameter when in auto-loop or loop roll?

Currently the PAD FX knob controls more of the FX parameters instead of acting like PAD FX.

Secondly, how does one enable triggering of samples with the PADS?

Thanks so much for your help,
Prashant
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:37 AM - 10 May, 2013
You have to be in Multi FX and use the 2nd FX (middle)
Push down on the Pad FX Select Knob to turn it on.

Sampler
Press SHIFT+HOT CUE
armed98 7:15 AM - 10 May, 2013
J.J. is completely on point with this, this was not Beta tested in way that would address many users are encountering,and the lack of other tools to resolve things like database issues ( a Debugger would be nice, a certified tool that lets you connect outside of the application for troubleshooting purposes, a tool that will allow users to see MIDI responses).I believe that in an effort to expand its consumer base Serato has sacrificed the integrity of there product offerings and once consumers lose confidence in a product it takes a considerable amount of time and money to win people back (Microsoft,Blackberry). I am a loyal Serato customer but at some point these issues need to be addressed by the company to present an honest good faith approach that they A.) Admit there are issues and B.) Provide a road map as to when and how they go about addressing the issues.

My apologies if this sounds like a rant,but this is a company that's foundation was built upon providing rock solid performance and reliability even at the expense of not having every bell and whistle.Sucks that this perception is changing...
Maskrider 2:53 AM - 11 May, 2013
if stability and the quality of each release is being compromised..We as consumers should be vigilant to address our concerns by going to the help section.
LiamLondon 7:20 PM - 12 May, 2013
When I try to record on vci 380 with Serato DJ from External it won't work? I'm trying to rip a DJ drop by connecting from mac headphone out to Thru on the controller, can hear it no problem but after recording nothing? Anyone?
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:32 PM - 12 May, 2013
Serato dj does not record external inputs. Unlike itch.
Marv Incredible 9:09 PM - 12 May, 2013
Quote:
Serato dj does not record external inputs. Unlike itch.

What? Another backward move. smh
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:30 PM - 12 May, 2013
Indeedy
XRM5 1:01 AM - 13 May, 2013
shame.
armed98 10:13 PM - 13 May, 2013
Quote:
if stability and the quality of each release is being compromised..We as consumers should be vigilant to address our concerns by going to the help section.

Before I ever wrote anything I put in a help request. Serato is usually good about this but the response I got was strange,to paraphrase I was informed that the Database has no limit but I should eliminate duplicates.If there is no limit what would having duplicates do with anything? especially when I don't experience the issue with any version of SSL. So I am awaiting for a response to my help request and I will work with them to find a solution that can hopefully be documented so that I can share it with the rest of the folks experiencing. this particular issue.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:49 AM - 14 May, 2013
Quote:
to paraphrase I was informed that the Database has no limit but I should eliminate duplicates.

Hey armed98,

I think what Aaron meant was there are no black and white documented limits to exactly how large a library the database can support (because there are so many factors), he didn't mean the database has no limit! Though that would be nice.
armed98 3:24 AM - 14 May, 2013
Gotcha Logan D.That's why I was confused by the answer because there are always limits because of different factors i.e. hardware,partitioning,Disk read/write performance etc...Thanks again for the response Logan D.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:41 AM - 14 May, 2013
No problem man! :)
DJ KOBIE 11:22 PM - 26 August, 2014
my sera to DJ never worked with my controller…What a disappointment
DJ KOBIE 11:22 PM - 26 August, 2014
my serato DJ never worked with my controller…What a disappointment
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:39 PM - 26 August, 2014
Hey DJ KOBIE,

I'm sure we can help. What controller do you have? By 'not work' what exactly do you mean? Does it connect? Did you ever start a help thread with us so our support team can help you?