DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is the Rane 62 really worth 3 times the price of this?

phatbob 5:06 PM - 4 October, 2012
I know Rane gear is well built, but that's a hell of a price on that Kontrol Z2...

www.decks.co.uk
phatbob 5:08 PM - 4 October, 2012
3 Innofaders! Shiiiiiit

www.djtechtools.com
phatbob 5:16 PM - 4 October, 2012
Just done some comparisons; same site: SL3 £500... SL4 £700...

£600 for a whole mixer solution looks pretty compelling if the quality is good.
jprime 5:40 PM - 4 October, 2012
The two USB ports on the 62 to make switchover seamless is a massive plus in itself imo.

Rane build quality / support has been pretty good.

Then there's the whole serato vs traktor dead horse thing...I don't want to use traktor so that pretty much ends it for me personally.
sacrilicious 5:50 PM - 4 October, 2012
Cool product but I must point out the 62 is only two times the price of that mixer, not three.
Rebelguy 5:51 PM - 4 October, 2012
The USB hub feature is pretty cool as well.
phatbob 5:57 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:
Cool product but I must point out the 62 is only two times the price of that mixer, not three.

Rane 62 is £1799 on that site... Just under 3 times the price. Might be different elsewhere in the world.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:04 PM - 4 October, 2012
You can buy a Mercedes..... Or you can buy a Toyota Prius.... Both get the job done.... just one gets it done in style.
sacrilicious 6:19 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Rane 62 is £1799 on that site... Just under 3 times the price. Might be different elsewhere in the world.

Damn I got mine for $1799
Mr. Goodkat 6:25 PM - 4 October, 2012
looks pretty dope, good all in one solution mixer. that plus x1 and f1 would be a simple and effective set up
Mr. Goodkat 6:25 PM - 4 October, 2012
list is 899$, so probably $800 in the states.
dj-freestyle 7:35 PM - 4 October, 2012
So why are you on this forum then? Wouldnt the traktor forum make more sense.
the_black_one 8:08 PM - 4 October, 2012
3 innofaders........ #Boom

If you have a serato interface, picking that bad boy up is a good deal.. Just ad up the price of the 3 faders alone.....
CMOS 8:10 PM - 4 October, 2012
Not sure if i would buy a companys first mixer product.
phatbob 8:22 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:
3 innofaders........ #Boom

If you have a serato interface, picking that bad boy up is a good deal.. Just ad up the price of the 3 faders alone.....

Plus it's fully midi enabled... High quality video mixers under a thousand bucks are pretty thin on the ground right now.
sacrilicious 9:45 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:

Yeah that's probably the biggest strike against it even though NI has a lot of hardware experience.
Mr. Goodkat 9:54 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:
So why are you on this forum then? Wouldnt the traktor forum make more sense.

you can use both, i do.

and its a comparison to the rane 62. legit thread.
Shaoba McCoy 10:19 PM - 4 October, 2012
I started with Traktor but had to change because of the clubs I play in. Serato is a much more simpler program, but the mantra Keep it Simple Stupid" makes for better mixing. I love Serato for that. Traktor you can get caught up in all that it can do. With that being said. I been mastering my SIxty Two and I aiming at one difference. The Sixty Two has onboard effects thus post fader effects. Not saying that mean you should pay a $1000 more but that is a big difference.

I do like the Kontrol Z2 color changing pads.

I would like for the Sixty Two to use use post and before effects at the same time. I mean have the option to turn serato on the computer to be pre fader and on the unit to be post. That is just an software update though.

The Sixty Two is also a nice sound card if you know how to route sound. In theory you can get rid of your recording sound card and just use that.
DJ Remy USA 11:31 PM - 4 October, 2012
This actually looks pretty dope I may pick this up since i havent gotten the rane 62 yet. I actually might switch for a while give this mixer a shot
DJ Remy USA 11:32 PM - 4 October, 2012
Quote:

Its not traktors first mixer they had the DJM T-1 well that was pioneer point taken
DVE 11:56 PM - 4 October, 2012
I can sell my current SL3 and DN-X600, buy this and maybe even have some cash left over... tempting.

Although I still love the simplicity of SL, and the layout. I just want Serato to release a reasonably priced midi controller like the X1.
filitico 11:56 PM - 4 October, 2012
its cheaper to get this (street price probably 800) + sl3 (700)

than this
www.pssl.com
(2000).

now that sum bullshit!
phatbob 12:04 AM - 5 October, 2012
That's kind of my thinking, really.

Whatever you think of Traktor, the Z2 comes in cheaper than a Rane 56s (in the UK at least), and you're getting a LOT of mixer for your money.

Whilst Rane are synonymous with high build quality, my NI Audio 6 sounds pretty damn good, I don't doubt that the quality of this will be at least decent.

This is some seriously aggressive pricing. NI aren't pissing about here.
the_black_one 4:21 AM - 5 October, 2012
#3innofaders
BERTO 4:47 AM - 5 October, 2012
Can you say Rane holiday price drop! Jk i think its a super aggresive strategy to make it affordable like this...
housekeys 5:47 AM - 5 October, 2012
I highly doubt the quality of the mixer would be an issue, especially for the price point. Definitely interested in testing it out.
spirez 12:58 PM - 5 October, 2012
It may be their first DJ mixer but NI are heavyweights in the music game so I'm sure it will be good.

I am actually tempted to check this out at that price. Was going to save for a Sixty Two but gotta say this could make for a nice backup mixer to take out.

If people are using Serato for the simplicity then surely it's just as easy to use Traktor for simply selecting, loading and playing tracks?
Niro 3:18 PM - 5 October, 2012
I've been around the block for a long time, Gemini, Numark, Stanton, Vestax...etc. And all I can say is Rane has always in a no hype humble way, come out on top as far as quality, features and company support. There's always hype about a new awesome mixer, Stanton use to be notorious for this (ex. SA8, Craze Mixer, all the vestax copies...) but they always came up short. Rane just builds a solid awesome sounding mixer period.
DjWoody 3:39 PM - 5 October, 2012
If you ever bought or used any NI stuff, you know they make high quality stuff. Their soundcards kick ass and sound extremely good.
fedeinthemix 3:59 PM - 5 October, 2012
I think there are a couple of pieces of information that are relevant but not highlighted by NI:

1) According to the following site the faders are surely Innofader, but the mini ones not the large fully programmable ones:

djworx.com

anybody have any experience with them? According to what I've found on the web they seems to be fairly good anyway.

2) According to the following site the Z2 is seen by software with only 2 stereo output channels (master and booth) and the actual mixing happens inside of Traktor:

createdigitalmusic.com

This does not make any difference if you are using Traktor, but if you need more channels for use with other software it may be a relevant point.
DjWoody 4:43 PM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:

2) According to the following site the Z2 is seen by software with only 2 stereo output channels (master and booth) and the actual mixing happens inside of Traktor:

createdigitalmusic.com

This does not make any difference if you are using Traktor, but if you need more channels for use with other software it may be a relevant point.

Have you seen this video?
youtu.be

In there, they say it's a "hybrid" mixer, which means you can set it so that the mixing happens inside or outside of Traktor.
Niro 5:14 PM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:
If you ever bought or used any NI stuff, you know they make high quality stuff. Their soundcards kick ass and sound extremely good.

Besides (final scratch, made by stanton) and the X1, I haven't used any NI gear. So I can't say anything about their quality. I will wait and play with it before I comment, I was stating from my past experience with hyped up mixers, most seem to come up short. In all honesty, I hope it is a good mixer and it can be added to short list of quality mixers out and strays away from the controller route.
Mr. Goodkat 6:04 PM - 5 October, 2012
x1 is very well built and the soundcards are very solid. i think xlr outs at this price range are a big plus too.
djdannyd 2:09 AM - 7 October, 2012
www.djtechtools.com

I may just jump on this and store my 62z in its case for a little while.
haze324 2:23 AM - 7 October, 2012
I think I'd rather have the Pioneer T1. I think except for the dedicated filters, the T1 for SSL would be a better purchase. Not really impressed with the Z2 and if it feels like the S4 I'd rather have a Rane or Pioneer Mixer.
DJ DisGrace 2:44 AM - 7 October, 2012
Quote:
www.djtechtools.com

I may just jump on this and store my 62z in its case for a little while.

Gotta say the way it integrates the 3rd and 4th decks is pretty cool, as well as the built in USB hub
nik39 10:09 AM - 8 October, 2012
Quote:
I've been around the block for a long time, Gemini, Numark, Stanton, Vestax...etc. And all I can say is Rane has always in a no hype humble way, come out on top as far as quality, features and company support. There's always hype about a new awesome mixer, Stanton use to be notorious for this (ex. SA8, Craze Mixer, all the vestax copies...) but they always came up short. Rane just builds a solid awesome sounding mixer period.

+1.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:42 PM - 9 October, 2012
Anyone remember the ultimate of a fail of a DVS mixer that M-Aduio Torq had? I can't even remember the name its such a fail.
phatbob 1:50 PM - 9 October, 2012
That was the Xponent, more a cheap controller than a proper mixer. Not quite the same league as the Z2.
Jiggy Flipp L.O.T 1:52 PM - 9 October, 2012
Good price for a Dvs/Midi Mixer. If the build quality is any good these will sell like hot cakes and force a price drop . All dependin on build quality. If its built like S4/S2 Rane will keep laughing to the bank. If not prices of 61/62 will reflect it .
BERTO 4:23 PM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
Good price for a Dvs/Midi Mixer. If the build quality is any good these will sell like hot cakes and force a price drop . All dependin on build quality. If its built like S4/S2 Rane will keep laughing to the bank. If not prices of 61/62 will reflect it .

I can see it now "i paid full retail when 62 came out and now the price is way cheaper can i get my money /discount? For serato rane products" threads all over lol
Joshua Carl 5:23 PM - 9 October, 2012
as mentioned I would never buy any company's first crack at a piece of gear, no matter who it is.
(despite their very successful gear thus far...its still their 1st mixer)

that being said it looks like the did some research and started out the gate with a nice piece
and were smart enough to outsource the fader work to innofader.
while I have no plans to switch to Traktor anytime soon, nor do i have any desire to stray from
Rane and the excellent products they make, i have to admit its a smooth and intuitive design
that seems to have some nice features.
namely the USB hub IN the mixer....That right there is a bit of genius (especially with Macs dropping the 17" 3 usb hub models)

One of the reasons I think Rane $ are the way they are is something you cannot develop in a R&D panel...Years of proven reliability and performance.
Theres only a handful of companies in our world that have decades of top level performance.
and i think thats what you are paying for, a bit of Piece of mind...and me personally I value that
a great deal.
d:raf 10:51 PM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
as mentioned I would never buy any company's first crack at a piece of gear, no matter who it is.
(despite their very successful gear thus far...its still their 1st mixer)

Sometimes it's even more complicated than that, especially where DJ mixers are concerned. Remember the Mackie D2? I've never seen one that worked 100%...

serato.com
DJ Remy USA 1:28 PM - 10 October, 2012
Quote:
That was the Xponent, more a cheap controller than a proper mixer. Not quite the same league as the Z2.

Man I had a xponent I thought it was tits until Torq kept crashing on me. I havent purchased a controller since I been to afraid of the same thing happening
DjWoody 7:40 PM - 12 October, 2012
Just saw the new DJ Worx video and I gotta say, it's a pretty sweet mixer/controller that rivals the 62 for way less.

www.youtube.com
blackavenger 8:18 AM - 13 October, 2012
I'm thinking of getting it....this or the DJM-T1....haven't decided yet.

I have been saving for a Traktor setup. I finally have the loot. Was going to get a DN-X1600, but I'm thinking of getting one of these, along w' an F1 & X1 instead. If I should decide that I don't like Traktor, at least I can Map it to my SL3 w' ScratchLIVE.
ekwipt 11:24 AM - 13 October, 2012
This with two F1s, two X1s and two 1200s would be an ultimate setup!
dj-freestyle 3:19 PM - 13 October, 2012
Love my dnx1600. one of the best mixers ive even owned.
Dazel 12:55 AM - 15 October, 2012
Yeah, I'm guessing that the 62 price is gonna drop soon

Of course this is a first mixer for NI but they usually built quality product
Rebelguy 2:22 AM - 15 October, 2012
Has there ever been a price drop on any Rane Mixer in the past few years?
BERTO 3:23 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:

I dont think so BUT the markets have been super shaky lately and competition is ever changing
blackavenger 4:50 AM - 15 October, 2012
You know, the Z2 is VERY tantalizing, but I just discovered that the potentiometers are all plastic........THAT SUCKS!

I wonder if you would be able to swap (solder) them out for metal ones? If that were possible, I might still consider it, otherwise......I just don't know :/
jevo9 7:22 AM - 15 October, 2012
look very interesting.. i would definitely want to try one out first...
DJ NoNseNse 4:09 PM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:

Rane 56s still goes for around $800. Better off buying a used 57
DJ Remy USA 1:12 PM - 17 October, 2012
Flux mode on this mixer looks very kool. I like the FX looks pretty dope I may actually try traktor again
DJ Remy USA 1:18 PM - 17 October, 2012
I dont know Rane this mixer might be fukin with the 62....
DJ Ness Nice 1:26 PM - 17 October, 2012
Rane 57/62 is like the Akai MPC 2000/2500 of DJ mixers. They know its overpriced but they know they have a quality product so they dont have to drop prices. The people are going to buy regardless. When u have an industry standard product there is no need to be competitive in pricing..
phatbob 1:42 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
Rane 57/62 is like the Akai MPC 2000/2500 of DJ mixers. They know its overpriced but they know they have a quality product so they dont have to drop prices. The people are going to buy regardless. When u have an industry standard product there is no need to be competitive in pricing..

Nice theory. Problem is, in many markets in the world, Serato/Rane is nowhere near being the industry standard...
DJ Ness Nice 2:05 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Nice theory. Problem is, in many markets in the world, Serato/Rane is nowhere near being the industry standard...

Well in the US i would consider serato/rane industry standard seeing that most clubs in the US do have at least a serato box or 57 already in there venue.
phatbob 2:13 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
Well in the US

Quite.
blackavenger 3:32 PM - 17 October, 2012
I have NO DOUBT in my mind that the 61 is better built than the Z2. We have to compare the Z2 w' the 61, because the 62's (2) USB ports put it in a class of it's own. That being said, the Z2 destroys the 61 as far as software integration is concerned. So, with the 61 coming in at US $1,400, and the Z2 coming in at US $800, you could buy (2) Z2's for just about the same price as (1) 61......that's a temptation I just can't pass up!

I was leery over the pots being plastic, but at that price...who cares?!?! It comes with a Full version of Traktor Scratch....so that inclusion adds to the value. I used to have TSP w' A8 a few years back, but at that time, the remix decks didn't exist. So, I was comparing the two DVS' based solely on traditional DJing, and for me, ScratchLIVE won that battle hands down. But, those remix decks make everything soooo interesting....they are everything I had always wished that the SP-6 would eventually evolve into, so I am going to give Traktor another whirl!!!
DJDBAG 3:33 PM - 17 October, 2012
i have reallly been thinkng about trying traktor lately....someone talk me out of it,....
blackavenger 3:36 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
i have reallly been thinkng about trying traktor lately....someone talk me out of it,....

Do you have a really powerful computer? If not, don't do it!
DJDBAG 3:40 PM - 17 October, 2012
have a brand new macbook pro i 5 to of the line lol

just seesm like i can do so much more with traktor then just mix two songs in
dj-freestyle 3:44 PM - 17 October, 2012
Iv never met one person who switched and there mixing got better. Most people dont use half of what serato can really do. Why dont you just push serato to the max and then find a reason to switch. what are you trying to do that serato cant do?
DJDBAG 3:47 PM - 17 October, 2012
I really like the idea of the remix decks

which i know i can do with serato on the fly with the bridge

but i also like the idea of the live loop recorder in the new traktor, and the synced sample decks

also the effects are better

i doubt i will switch as you need to be a supreme computer nerd to figure traktor out
blackavenger 3:48 PM - 17 October, 2012
If the SP-6 were tempo sync'd, I wouldn't be coveting the neighbors lawn. I am tired of asking for this functionality in ScratchLIVE. It's been years now. I've been asking for it ever since they first announced the Sp-6!!
d:raf 3:50 PM - 17 October, 2012
Adding tempo sync would cause the beat-matchturbators to go ballistic...
blackavenger 3:59 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
I really like the idea of the remix decks

What's the point of investing any time into a discontinued feature?

Bridge is DEAD!!!

I am not a producer, so I have no interest in purchasing Ableton Live. And even if I bought it solely for the Bridge functionality, as I already said, it's DEAD IN THE WATER! There won't be anymore development for it. It's been broken down to a simple truth......the new Ableton is 64bit, and all of Serato's products are 32bit......so the partnership is over with!! Serato already said that the new SeratoDJ software won't be 64bit, so what makes anyone think that ScratchLIVE is miraculously going to be updated to 64bit? It's not going to happen! So, if I want that kind of functionality, either Serato have to make the SP-6 "tempo sync'd", or I can give Traktor another try.
4mydawgz 4:16 PM - 17 October, 2012
The price would actually make me consider switching to NA. The only problem is this is their first mixer. And it's tied into the software. So I would be nervous that if either the mixer or software become outdated, you will have to replace the whole thing.
4mydawgz 4:20 PM - 17 October, 2012
meant to say NI not NA... think i got confused with either spealling Native or abbreviating the whole thing.
blackavenger 4:40 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
And it's tied into the software. So I would be nervous that if either the mixer or software become outdated, you will have to replace the whole thing.

...and how is that different from Serato (1/1 mapping) Controllers?? LOL, J/K!!

Naw' man, you always have MIDI....and to honest, there are a few things I would like to see different about this mixer. I would assume that there will be an updated (or perhaps 4 channel) version in about 2-3 years anyway.

DJ technology is rapidly/steadily evolving. It's almost a certainty that you'll be upgrading your gear every few years anyway.
monchi 8:12 PM - 17 October, 2012
Rane/reliability/built and support> $800 mixer with plastic pots
CMOS 8:56 PM - 17 October, 2012
Meh, look at all those features, how the hell are they selling this for 800, something had to be skimped on no??
Mr. Goodkat 9:30 PM - 17 October, 2012
seems like traktor in general has gone after the jugular with serato, so maybe they're just dropping these as cheap as possible. would be nice to hear craze talk about the unit.
blackavenger 9:31 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
Rane/reliability/built and support> $800 mixer with plastic pots

It's not for everyone. I've clearly stated my reason for wanting it. For me, functionality trumps hardware reliability in this case. Sure, the N.I. hardware isn't even a pimple on any Rane mixer's ass! But then again, ScratchLIVE doesn't have (2) sync'd remix decks capable of live loop "recording". You get what works for you.

I love ScratchLIVE...been using it for 7 years. I'll never get rid of it! It's just, I'm ready for something a bit more complex.

The new SeratoDJ will probably give the functionality I want since it's adding MIDI for the sync'd SP-6, but to be honest, nothing beats mixing on my Techs. I love the tactility of it. I want what ITCHSeratoDJ can do, but with turntable control. Again, another thing that could keep me from Traktor...if Serato were only able to work out a deal w' Rane to allow DVS control over SeratoDJ, that would be great. But I'm not going to hold my breath

I'm just tired of asking Serato for Traktor's functionality. I might as well use Traktor until Serato come to their senses!!

Quote:
Meh, look at all those features, how the hell are they selling this for 800, something had to be skimped on no??

Yeah, the potentiometers are plastic, and there is no curve control on the Channel faders!!! There is no Effects Send/Return either!! All things I can live with.
Mr. Goodkat 9:40 PM - 1 November, 2012
so far so good. dig the mixer.
ekwipt 4:20 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
The price would actually make me consider switching to NA. The only problem is this is their first mixer. And it's tied into the software. So I would be nervous that if either the mixer or software become outdated, you will have to replace the whole thing.

The mixer isn't really tied to the software, you could use any software other than Scratch Live really.

Personally i'm waiting for a 4 channel with faders
Mr. Goodkat 5:42 AM - 2 November, 2012
you can use it as an analog regular mixer with a ssl box
ekwipt 12:00 PM - 3 November, 2012
Or that
grrillatactics 1:55 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:

i doubt i will switch as you need to be a supreme computer nerd to figure traktor out

First of all, the Bridge has 2 key shortcomings when compared to the Remix decks:
1 - the Bridge really isn't on the fly; in order to really get the most out of it, there is a much greater level of preparation and organization. With the Remix decks, you can load samples/loops on the fly, through the Traktor browser, to individual slots, or you can load whole remix sets, again on the fly, through the Traktor browser, just like loading a regular track to a Track deck. That level of integration alone is a selling point.
2 - Timecode control of the Remix decks. 'Nuff said.

Second of all, you don't have to be a computer wizard to get the most out of Traktor. There are tons of midi mappings available online for nearly any controller out there, and there are tons of great tutorials on creating your own complex midi mappings. That is truly the most complex and complicated aspect of Traktor IMO, and once you get that under your belt, it's smooth sailing.

Also, someone mentioned needing a highly spec'd computer to run Traktor properly, but my MBP is at least 4 years old, and while I did spring for the 7200 rpm HD and 4 GB of RAM at the time of purchase, I still only have a dual core processor, and 4 GB RAM is on the low end for a lot of current computers that people are using for music. I would consider myself a power user of Traktor, and I can still do some pretty complicated things without audio glitches.

Also, Craze used the Z2 in his most recent Ustream live stream, and allegedly there will be a new NI video of Craze coming next week on the Z2. It does only have the smaller "mini" Innofaders, but if you really want to, according to the guys at DJTT, you *can* fit the full Innofaders in at all 3 spots (both channels and cross).

There are tons of examples of gear that see daily use that have plastic post (Maschine being a key one in my mind; there are tons of people using those in live settings and studio usage on a daily basis, and I've not seen any yet that have pots falling out or broken off).
Mr. Goodkat 7:07 PM - 3 November, 2012
i thought it would be a big smaller, its longer than the djm 800 not as wide, but close. Still havent run into any problems, remix decks are nice, efx are top of the line(for dj mixers/apps) Usb hubs are genius, and the sound is great. overall a very well thought out mixer
AKIEM 8:30 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
Adding tempo sync would cause the beat-matchturbators to go ballistic...

... to the SP6, I don't think so. As one of the staunchest 'auto sync' naysayers, I have also advocated for "sync" on the SP6 from day 0. It should not have even been called "sync", should have just been the default way it operated.

And I agree if Serato had developed the SP6 to its full potential (instead of relying on ableton) NI would look much less attractive right about now.

And by 'full potential' I mean simple shit like (so called) sync, FX send, Instant Doubles.
phatbob 10:52 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
i thought it would be a big smaller, its longer than the djm 800 not as wide, but close. Still havent run into any problems, remix decks are nice, efx are top of the line(for dj mixers/apps) Usb hubs are genius, and the sound is great. overall a very well thought out mixer

So, Mr Goodkat... Based on your experience so far, what's your answer to the question I posed in the the thread title? ;-)
Mr. Goodkat 8:55 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So, Mr Goodkat... Based on your experience so far, what's your answer to the question I posed in the the thread title? ;-)

well, i havent used the 62 yet. The 62 seems like it has some features that arent in the Z2 i.e. cue points, individual buttons for efx options, channel upfader curves, 2 usb ins.

I think its closer to the 57 option wise, which i personally loved, because it was very stripped down but had core functionality that made it a super quick mixer to use. I like the simpler look of the Z2 over the 62.

The positioning of the filter is like any PIO mixer(in line with the eq) and the efx under that in 2 option buttons for efx 1/2 is very intuitive. Thats really what im getting from this mixer is intuitiveness. When i see these mixer with a million buttons, thats great, but really experience makes those mixers great, but not so when/if you go play on one and cant use half the options because you dont have enough experience on one. Z2 you can hop on and use fairly quickly and combined with a x1 or f1 or both, you can do some cool things with or without timecode.

like I would say the only question now is reliability and durability, who knows if these things will last like rane products. At the same time i saw my share of beat up 57s and ones that had problems, enough to where alot of touring djs wouldnt use them for fear of the firmware not matching software(this was when i was bringin touring djs from 07 to 10).

i would assume that a 62 is not worth 3x the price unless you really like rane products. I hated the 68 and the 62 looks cluttered like that mixer so i can assume i wouldnt like it.
sixxx 9:35 PM - 4 November, 2012
I'm feeling this mixer and I was very tempted to buy it even if it meant switching to traktor BUT then someone reminded me that there is no video in traktor and that just kills it for me.

Not being able to do video is like dating a hot chick and not being able to fuck her.

nm
sixxx 9:36 PM - 4 November, 2012
I guess you could go the Mix Emergency route with an SL box but this just adds to the "final" price of the mixer. nm
blackavenger 1:50 AM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:
I'm feeling this mixer and I was very tempted to buy it even if it meant switching to traktor BUT then someone reminded me that there is no video in traktor and that just kills it for me.

LOL, you could always use this EXTREMELY complicated, and NOT AT ALL, IDEAL work-around....

Watchwww.youtube.com
StreetFighta 4:09 PM - 5 November, 2012
NEW Craze video demo of the Z2 mixer. Am I crazy or is this a ridiculous routine?

youtu.be
Daktyl 4:18 PM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:
NEW Craze video demo of the Z2 mixer. Am I crazy or is this a ridiculous routine?

youtu.be

you're not crazy...
StreetFighta 5:19 PM - 5 November, 2012
That's what I imagined when they announced using DVS for the DMC
blackavenger 7:43 PM - 5 November, 2012
Yeah, but the video is slightly off from the audio.
sixxx 7:46 PM - 5 November, 2012
He's faster than the speed of sound. :-P
DJ Fez 7:47 PM - 5 November, 2012
i hate that filming style. i had very little idea what he was actually doing upon first watch.
blackavenger 9:07 PM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:
i hate that filming style. i had very little idea what he was actually doing upon first watch.

I hear Ya', but it's a commercial. They have to do weird angles, and show toy robots, or the kiddies w' their ADD will get bored.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing end user's videos on YouTube. I think more substance will be garnered from watching those, as opposed to whatever N.I. puts out in a 2-3 minute clip.
sacrilicious 9:27 PM - 5 November, 2012
Glad they kicked that guy out of the DMC haha. Wow
djkrayz 11:21 PM - 5 November, 2012
www.youtube.com

sick routine along with features as well. damn serato needs to step it up on getting some better audio sfx. it would be nice to have time stretch, stutter, glitch style stuff. feels so out dated with the sfx we have :(
slimmjimm 1:17 AM - 6 November, 2012
I don't really get down with effects too much, but I can imagine I'd have a pretty good time with that slow stretch.
ekwipt 9:02 PM - 6 November, 2012
craze on facebook:

"THE LATEST TRAKTOR ROUTINE IS 1 OF 3 THAT I'LL BE DOING IN THE NEXT MONTHS ... 1ST ONE SHOWCASES THE MIXER PADS AND NEW JUGGLING ... NEXT ONE WILL BE SCRATCH ROUTINE AND 3RD WILL BE A COMBO "
djdannyd 5:25 AM - 7 November, 2012
ok
Nicky Blunt 10:51 PM - 7 November, 2012
2nd is the one im looking to see most!
Mr. Goodkat 7:07 AM - 9 November, 2012
think i found the crack in the mixer. crossfader problems. im not a big turntablist, but problems are reported in the sharpness of the crossfader curve, so i did my own test.

after calibration, i used timecode and regular vinyl, and there isnt a clean on/off cut, at least on mine. its probably like a djm800, thats what i came from, and it seems comparible.

some people on their forum are saying it only happens in certain mixers, but its a problem if it happens at all. as a former owner of a 57, i can remember just pushing the magnetic fader contacts in, when this problem happened. but i dont think innofaders will be that easy of a fix.
blackavenger 2:16 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:

Why (2) X1s?

I can see the reasoning behind (2) F1s, but what's the purpose of (2) X1s?
You seem to be quite the authority regarding Traktor...based on your DJTT & NIForum posts, so I am honestly curious to pick your brain about this.

With the Z2 you have (2) channels for the Turntables/CDJs, and then (2) channels for The Remix Decks. You would obviously want (1) X1 for more control over Effects Section of the Z2, as it only provides the one parameter for channels, 1 & 2. But wouldn't having (2) X1s be kinda' redundant, being that you could just map the effects to the Remix Decks, and toggle them on and off using the F1 hardware? Or is it that you would want a dedicated X1 to control each Remix Deck's Effects as well?

This is an honest inquiry. As soon as they iron out those crossfader issues w' the Z2, I'm pulling the trigger on a Z2/F1/X1 combo, and am curious if it would be wiser to just go ahead and get (2) X1s instead of just (1).

I'm sticking w' (1) F1 for now. Though, perhaps down the road when I'm more comfortable w' performing a routine of strictly Loops/One-Shots, I may get another one.

I already have (2) M5Gs ;-)
MPC O.G. 2:28 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
think i found the crack in the mixer. crossfader problems. im not a big turntablist, but problems are reported in the sharpness of the crossfader curve, so i did my own test.

after calibration, i used timecode and regular vinyl, and there isnt a clean on/off cut, at least on mine. its probably like a djm800, thats what i came from, and it seems comparible.

some people on their forum are saying it only happens in certain mixers, but its a problem if it happens at all. as a former owner of a 57, i can remember just pushing the magnetic fader contacts in, when this problem happened. but i dont think innofaders will be that easy of a fix.

There is a way to calibrate the Innofader-mini under the fader itself. Some come set at different values from the factory, it's SUPPOSED to be an easy fix. I'm going to get a Z2 next month and throw a full sized Innofader on the crossfade anyway, and keep the other as a spare.
tig ol' bitties 5:32 PM - 12 November, 2012
Traktor stuff looks so cheaply built ... that looks like a mixer id buy my nephew as a toy.
blackavenger 6:21 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Traktor stuff looks so cheaply built ... that looks like a mixer id buy my nephew as a toy.

I agree.......

Rane is sooo good because it's MADE IN THE USA!!!

None of that cheap Chinese shit! Just look at Allen & Heath....when they built their mixers in the UK, they were top quality...now they're made in China, and they're cheap looking/feeling. Ecler was another good one....made in Spain (Rane of Spain...LOL). Vestax is another good one. The Chinese "typically" make shit! Though, look at the iPhone/MBP...they're made in China, and yet they are works of art. So who knows?
Mr. Goodkat 8:16 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Why (2) X1s?

I can see the reasoning behind (2) F1s, but what's the purpose of (2) X1s?
You seem to be quite the authority regarding Traktor...based on your DJTT & NIForum posts, so I am honestly curious to pick your brain about this.

With the Z2 you have (2) channels for the Turntables/CDJs, and then (2) channels for The Remix Decks. You would obviously want (1) X1 for more control over Effects Section of the Z2, as it only provides the one parameter for channels, 1 & 2. But wouldn't having (2) X1s be kinda' redundant, being that you could just map the effects to the Remix Decks, and toggle them on and off using the F1 hardware? Or is it that you would want a dedicated X1 to control each Remix Deck's Effects as well?

This is an honest inquiry. As soon as they iron out those crossfader issues w' the Z2, I'm pulling the trigger on a Z2/F1/X1 combo, and am curious if it would be wiser to just go ahead and get (2) X1s instead of just (1).

I'm sticking w' (1) F1 for now. Though, perhaps down the road when I'm more comfortable w' performing a routine of strictly Loops/One-Shots, I may get another one.

I already have (2) M5Gs ;-)

i think it would be for 4 deck use.

Quote:
Quote:

There is a way to calibrate the Innofader-mini under the fader itself. Some come set at different values from the factory, it's SUPPOSED to be an easy fix. I'm going to get a Z2 next month and throw a full sized Innofader on the crossfade anyway, and keep the other as a spare.

can you do that?
blackavenger 9:38 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
i think it would be for 4 deck use.

But the Z2 isn't a 4 channel mixer.....well, it does have those (2) rotary pots. Though, I wouldn't want to mix w' those, because you wouldn't have equalization/gain control.

Those other (2) channels are primarily for the Remix Decks.
blackavenger 9:43 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
can you do that?

Yes, it's been widely expressed that you can swap out the Minofaders for full sized Innofader Pros. That would bring the total cost of the mixer to around $1,400 though.....but it sure would be DOPE!!!!
Mr. Goodkat 9:48 PM - 12 November, 2012
hm, its weird, maybe its not the sharpness of the fader, but where it cuts in. not sure if that is the exact same or just something where the cut doesnt start between 1-2 millimeters in. maybe ill just put an diff. innofader in.
Mr. Goodkat 9:55 PM - 12 November, 2012
one thing i did figure out, was that the x1 and ssl sl3 box can be hooked up through the 2 usb hubs of the Z2 mixer.
MPC O.G. 9:55 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
hm, its weird, maybe its not the sharpness of the fader, but where it cuts in. not sure if that is the exact same or just something where the cut doesnt start between 1-2 millimeters in. maybe ill just put an diff. innofader in.

That's what you should be able to adjust. There is an article on DJTT about it. I'm going to sell my dxm06 and Audio8 and my TSP licence when I get my Z2. With that money I'm going all innofaders on it.
MPC O.G. 10:14 PM - 12 November, 2012
The Z2 made the price of the T1 drop to $650.
Mr. Goodkat 10:46 PM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:

That's what you should be able to adjust. There is an article on DJTT about it. I'm going to sell my dxm06 and Audio8 and my TSP licence when I get my Z2. With that money I'm going all innofaders on it.

ive seen all the articles, not sure if i wanna open up and go doing calibration on the cf, because folks have tried and it didnt work either
Niro 5:45 AM - 13 November, 2012
Too answer the original question, yes the 62 is worth it. I was at an open deck type of gig this past friday for the residency's B-day and a few DJ's played that night. The switch of was as easy as plugging in and switching the input toggle. A few people that never played on it, was proficient after after learning the scroller, load and loops. The mixer is awesome.
ekwipt 11:02 AM - 13 November, 2012
@Blackavenger

2 x 1200s or CDJs

2 x X1s (For the 2 track channels, each X1 is remapped to kontrol only 1 deck, what you would normally have to shift click for is on the other side. Ie Cue points, you can also kontrol all 4 FX units)

2 x F1s for 2 remix decks

TOTAL OVERKILL but ultimate Traktor setup...
blackavenger 1:13 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
@Blackavenger

2 x 1200s or CDJs

2 x X1s (For the 2 track channels, each X1 is remapped to kontrol only 1 deck, what you would normally have to shift click for is on the other side. Ie Cue points, you can also kontrol all 4 FX units)

2 x F1s for 2 remix decks

TOTAL OVERKILL but ultimate Traktor setup...

Thanks for the breakdown, Ekwipt :-)
That is definitely not a "scratchable" setup...LOL.....the decks would be like 27"-30" apart....haha! I mean, I don't do much scratching, but I just can't get over what that would look like....never mind, what it would be like w' the TTs in a traditional layout.

Well, you could always elevate them, that would bring the TTs closer together.
ekwipt 9:11 PM - 13 November, 2012
I'd get some sort of stands and have the X1 and F1 above the turntables on the angle in front of me, i'm using only controllers at the moment, and "only" have 2 X1s and a F1, i'm getting them mounted in box so they sit flush with my Xone 92.

But also getting a bit bored with the setup, so i might go back to turntables when they get back from there 15 year first service...

I mainly mix house track to track (traditional mixing), but mix up techno as well with a lot more layers (3 tracks and loops from either Maschine or F1.

F1 admittedly doesn't get used that much
DjBLiZ 9:16 AM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:

Then there's the whole serato vs traktor dead horse thing...I don't want to use traktor so that pretty much ends it for me personally.

I got the mixer 2 days ago and im going to map it to Serato cuz i really dont want to use Traktor... but im having a REALLY HARD time mapping it...
blackavenger 9:31 AM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:
m going to map it to Serato cuz i really dont want to use Traktor... but im having a REALLY HARD time mapping it...

Please explain. I plan on buying it once the Crossfader/Paint issues have been ironed out.
Though I plan to use it w' Traktor 2.6, I would also like to map out ScratchLIVE's functions to it as well. Is ScratchLIVE not recognizing the pressed buttons/knobs/etc.. when you try to assign the MIDI functions within the software? Or is it that ScratchLIVE is not saving the mappings?
DjBLiZ 9:38 AM - 22 November, 2012
Serato is not recognizing any of the buttons...etc when i press then in midi map mode on SSL. but i also have a akia lpd8 and i had to go through the akia set up program first to map it to SSL.
now, i was trying to do the same set up with Tracktor's "Controller edit" software but i still cant get it to work not sure if im doing it worng or if the Z2 is made not to work with SSL but I NEED for my Z2 to work with SSL otherwise its going back! :(
blackavenger 4:44 PM - 22 November, 2012
You should post your issues at DJTechTools Forum. I've read posts over there with with peeps that have mapped ScratchLIVE/VirtualDJ to the Z2. I'm not exactly sure how they did it, as I don't have one yet, and haven't looked into it myself, but I know that according to them, it can be done.
DjBLiZ 4:07 PM - 23 November, 2012
would you happen to know what tread it is? having a hard time finding it...

Thanks
blackavenger 6:44 PM - 10 December, 2012
Well, apparently the two MAJOR issues which were plaguing the Z2 have now been resolved...

Quote:
Quote:
I heard the z2 was on point? Have u heard diff cause i was thinkin bout grabbin one

Well, apparently, lots of kats are having issues with both internal & external fader cut-in...some as much a 4 millimeters. Also, the faceplate decals wear off within a week or two. Additionally, many peeps are saying that mapping out the hardware to different software (ScratchLIVE, Mixvibes, VirtualDJ) is EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible in some instances. Now, NI are addressing some of these issues, but there is no definitive fixes for everything just yet........I'm going to wait it out a bit before I go all in.

Have a look at these threads -

www.native-instruments.com

Quote:
Sorry to those of you that are experiencing problems. As some of you have mentioned, there have been issues with the mini-Innofaders built into some of the first Z2 units. We've been working with Innofader to resolve the problems and I'm happy to report the everything is now fixed.

However, if you currently own a Z2 and you're experiencing problems with your crossfader please contact NI Support, they will be able to get it sorted and if they can't do that over the phone/email, they'll exchange the faders free of charge.
If you're waiting to hear back from support please drop me a Private Message and I'll chase up your case personally.

Quote:
NI has been really cool. If you are having this issue just open a support ticket and send a photo of the affected area. Their is a new improved faceplate coming out. Once they are available, they will send you one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I still don't know what the deal is on mapping out different software to it. Some say it can be done, while others say it can't. I guess I would have to just try it out myself. Bezzle made a good point in another thread.....it's probably due to the inexperience of all those new users not knowing how to use Controller Editor. I mean, most of the kats who bought the Z2 are newbs to Traktor, so it's hard to get an definitive statement, for or against.

However, now that I've waited for them to work out these issues, a lot of time has passed, and it's getting closer to NAMM. I may just wait a little longer. The NS6+Traktor 2.6 combo is working out fine for now. Ahh, decisions, decisions...indecision!!
blackavenger 8:33 PM - 10 December, 2012
Ahh, look what Skratchworx just put up today.....

djworx.com
DJ Fez 6:11 PM - 12 December, 2012

Sorry, but I feel like if I wanted an MPC I would buy one. And who wants to be Araab Muzik?
slimmjimm 6:20 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:

Sorry, but I feel like if I wanted an MPC I would buy one. And who wants to be Araab Muzik?

There is about 20% percent of that I feel that I'm able to do, and I must admit, every time I see a Traktor vid like this, that 20% thinks real hard about installing and using it with my T1, then the other 80% reminds me that I'm lazy, and that most people wouldn't give a shit anyway.

Still cool.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:24 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:

I like the maschine more than the mpc,, more flexable
Mr. Goodkat 7:00 PM - 12 December, 2012
so far its a pretty cool mixer, they flubbed the first xfader and sent everybody a new one.

seems like the pioneer t1 is the way to go price wise.
blackavenger 7:05 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
And who wants to be Araab Muzik?

I'd like to have skills like Araab Muzik!

I keep going back & forth on whether to buy the Z2 now, get the ($420) T1 instead, or just hold out until NAMM to see what's coming down the pipeline. I mean, if ScratchLIVE merges w' SeratoDJ, and adopts it's sync'd SP-6, I won't really need to jump ship any further than I already have.
BERTO 7:14 PM - 12 December, 2012
www.youtube.com shiftee showcasing it sick vid
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:18 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
if ScratchLIVE merges w' SeratoDJ, and adopts it's sync'd SP-6, I won't really need to jump ship any further than I already have.

Or you could get ahead of the curve and invest in an ipod and Y cable adapter now lol
Mr. Goodkat 7:20 PM - 12 December, 2012
the weird thing about traktor and all the sync hype, maybe i'm used to regular djing, but sync never gets it right for me, and i actually dj with my ears alot more than serato.
MPC O.G. 8:13 PM - 12 December, 2012
Can't wait to see what the next Craze video looks like. Going to get a Z2 when they get it straightened out. I think the point of using Maschine and TSP together is showing people who bought into the the BRIDGE hype what it's supposed to look like. Just MY opinion.
MPC O.G. 8:16 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
so far its a pretty cool mixer, they flubbed the first xfader and sent everybody a new one.

The T1 can't perform all the functions of the Z2 and you have to know trigonometry just to get the T1 into internal mode. But copping a T1 and F1 is still a good combo for TSP.
Mr. Goodkat 8:57 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

The T1 can't perform all the functions of the Z2 and you have to know trigonometry just to get the T1 into internal mode. But copping a T1 and F1 is still a good combo for TSP.

ah, well, i have an z2, but at 420$, maybe all that math is worth it.
blackavenger 10:06 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
if ScratchLIVE merges w' SeratoDJ, and adopts it's sync'd SP-6, I won't really need to jump ship any further than I already have.

Or you could get ahead of the curve and invest in an ipod and Y cable adapter now lol

I want you to record a video right now, and upload it to Youtube, Bezzle!!
Show us all, in all of your infinite glory, how you can mimic what the Traktor Remix Decks do, but with ScratchLIVE & The SP-6....all without Sync.

Show us how you'll be keeping up to (4) Decks in time, while at the same time triggering up to (16) Loops/One Shots and keeping those "manually" tempo-matched as well.

Go ahead, I'll be waiting for that video.....
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:10 PM - 12 December, 2012
Why on earth would one need to do that!!
the_black_one 10:44 PM - 12 December, 2012
Talk about over kill....
blackavenger 10:58 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Why on earth would one need to do that!!

Because, not all of us are Open Format, Pop40 DJs.......some of us actually like to be creative up there, not just drop the latest hit for the brainwashed/retarded masses.

I know your roots are in Dance Music, Bezzle. But if you can't see the merit in doing quasi-live production on the spot, then you have completely given yourself over to the dark side!
monchi 11:06 PM - 12 December, 2012
But Bezzle just bought a maschine and APK25!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:16 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
But Bezzle just bought a maschine and APK25!

The irony right lol!!! I guess the way i see it, if you can live remux 4 decks and 60 one shots thats fucking AWESOME, but if everythings synced why not just produce it as a track in ableton....you can even play it back live using apc 40(which i also bought)
d:raf 11:25 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
if everythings synced why not just produce it as a track in ableton...

Because Watchwww.youtube.com
blackavenger 11:26 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
but if everythings synced why not just produce it as a track in ableton...you can even play it back live using apc 40

I don't know about you, but I can't afford an APC40, another MBP, & AbletonLIVE. That's the appeal of Traktor's iteration, as well as a more capable SP-6 in ScratchLIVE.
Everything is integrated in one program......less resources......not bank-busting-expensive!!
blackavenger 11:26 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
if everythings synced why not just produce it as a track in ableton...

Because Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah, and that too....haha!
DJ REACT 2:22 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:

I am a active Serato and Traktor user.. I just bought the z2 to go along with my two setups in my house (2 1200s and a 61, and 2 1200s and a Z2)...

I can actually say owning both that the Z2 is built WAY more solid then the 61... Have you ever held it? (pause) It is a brick.. LOL =] Def. doesn't function like a brick, though. I love the mixer. And I must of got lucky because the mini inofaders are super dope.
Sticky K 10:30 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I am a active Serato and Traktor user.. I just bought the z2 to go along with my two setups in my house (2 1200s and a 61, and 2 1200s and a Z2)...

I can actually say owning both that the Z2 is built WAY more solid then the 61... Have you ever held it? (pause) It is a brick.. LOL =] Def. doesn't function like a brick, though. I love the mixer. And I must of got lucky because the mini inofaders are super dope.

Duuuude... this thread got me really thinking cos I was initially planning for a 62 and selling my 57 but the Z2 makes so much more sense and I wont have to give up my 57.

I can actually fit in a F1 as well and it just comes to +-$1k plus I will have a spare setup to compliment my SC3900. 3 x Innofaders faders #WHAAT!!! I see everyone has good things to say about the faders so thats a bonus.

The workflow of the remix decks looks very good as well - Looks so easy to setup clips and save/load remix sets. I can see myself using this more for house sets though.

Planning to get mine end of Jan... Cant wait.
DJ REACT 2:51 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:

Planning to get mine end of Jan... Cant wait.

It's a good buy. I can't stress that enough. Oh, and by the way...

The Kontrol Z2 is not proprietary to Traktor, meaning you can map ALL of it's MIDI functions to CONTROL Serato.. Meaning if you have a SL box already and are looking to spend $1999.99 on a 62, you might want to rethink that.. Like I said, you still need a SL box though, so that + the Z2 is around 1500 anyways =P
PorkyG 2:55 PM - 4 January, 2013
You give up the Livefeed option so be aware if you use Livefeed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:09 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:

How would you give up live feed, that goes through the sl box?
PorkyG 3:10 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I meant with just the 62.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:17 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I meant with just the 62.

Oh ok i thought you meant with the z2.
Will08272 3:57 PM - 4 January, 2013
The one thing that i like most about the z2 is the built in usb hub, does anyone know if your able to plug in a sl interface to it to be used or does it still have to be connected directly to your machine.
phatbob 4:01 PM - 4 January, 2013
Serato & Rane always recommend connecting your SL box directly to the computer, and I'd agree with that. It's the backbone of the system and you don't want to compromise it.
Mr. Goodkat 10:28 PM - 4 January, 2013
the efx are so fun on traktor and with this mixer as well. I've only used the delay in SSL when using the 57 and it was utilitarian at best. traktor is starting to win me over. It actually makes me use my ears alot more, simply because of the lack of up and down beatgrid(ala SSL). makes it less quick, but my mixes seem to flow better.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:31 PM - 4 January, 2013
My next purchase will he either the z2 or sx
blackavenger 1:38 AM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
It actually makes me use my ears alot more, simply because of the lack of up and down beatgrid (ala SSL)

Yup, I agree w' this.
BERTO 5:29 AM - 5 January, 2013
The price is right.... Ima wait till after namm though
Shaoba McCoy 12:22 AM - 26 March, 2013
Call me crazy but I would suggest this. If you are a mobile DJ then buying then Z2 makes sense. If your are a club DJ you should get a 62. The 62 is beginning to replace the 57 in clubs.

As a club DJ you should also own a DJM Nexus 900 for both Traktor and recorkdbox. Most places will have either a 57/62 or some form of Pioneer.

It's important to be familiar with the layout of the mixer and its functionality on the fly. Each of theses mixers handle effects differently.

It might seem like a costly investment (basically $4,000) but if your serious about your career you need spin time on these platforms.

Personally I began on Traktor but I'm now a serato DJ. Recently I began using Traktor for music preparation. I key all my track. The software I used prior didn't update the key recognition regularly (smaller companies) Traktor uses Open Key Notation and not the Camelot Wheel. I'm finding that Traktor is really good at building software that is innovative. They also focuses on perfecting the software portion.

Now the platform that I like the best is serato because its basic. Too many colors in a rainbow blurs the image. Club DJ needs precise and define color palettes.
sixxx 3:19 AM - 26 March, 2013
Good advice. I say your best bet is to know all the potential mixers/software you might encounter on the road. nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:22 AM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
Call me crazy but I would suggest this. If you are a mobile DJ then buying then Z2 makes sense. If your are a club DJ you should get a 62. The 62 is beginning to replace the 57 in clubs.

As a club DJ you should also own a DJM Nexus 900 for both Traktor and recorkdbox. Most places will have either a 57/62 or some form of Pioneer.

It's important to be familiar with the layout of the mixer and its functionality on the fly. Each of theses mixers handle effects differently.

It might seem like a costly investment (basically $4,000) but if your serious about your career you need spin time on these platforms.

Personally I began on Traktor but I'm now a serato DJ. Recently I began using Traktor for music preparation. I key all my track. The software I used prior didn't update the key recognition regularly (smaller companies) Traktor uses Open Key Notation and not the Camelot Wheel. I'm finding that Traktor is really good at building software that is innovative. They also focuses on perfecting the software portion.

Now the platform that I like the best is serato because its basic. Too many colors in a rainbow blurs the image. Club DJ needs precise and define color palettes.

fuck that im an EDM DJ the ONLY thing i need to know about a mixer is where the crossfader is..........so i can make sure never to touch it ;)
Shaoba McCoy 3:53 AM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

fuck that im an EDM DJ the ONLY thing i need to know about a mixer is where the crossfader is..........so i can make sure never to touch it ;)

To each his own. But you would BE A BETTER EDM DJ if you knew the ends and outs of the standard mixers. Especially if your mixing four decks. But if your just simply beatmatching 16's then it doesn't matter.
blackavenger 1:17 PM - 26 March, 2013
Quote:

That's got to be sarcasm...especially coming from you. I primarily play Dance Music, and ALWAYS use the crossfader.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:41 PM - 26 March, 2013
Not always, I spin with a guy who spins hip-hop and he just uses the upfaders about 80% of the time.....
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:01 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That's got to be sarcasm...especially coming from you. I primarily play Dance Music, and ALWAYS use the crossfader.

;)
LilSwann 2:34 PM - 29 March, 2013
"Is the Rane 62 really worth 3 times the price of this?"

I think the answer to the question can be easily answered by doing one thing. Take away the control surfaces on both mixers and then honestly compare the two. You will hopefully easily see the differences and see what is the better mixer. Just putting in my input.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:36 PM - 29 March, 2013
Whats the update on this mixer? I know there wereva few issues early on, hows it holdin up for everyone
dj-freestyle 4:03 PM - 29 March, 2013
Ive only had mine about 2 weeks but i can safely say best mixer ive ever owned in 25 years of djing. by far.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:10 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Ive only had mine about 2 weeks but i can safely say best mixer ive ever owned in 25 years of djing. by far.

Which one
monchi 4:12 PM - 29 March, 2013
HIS 62Z!
Will08272 4:23 PM - 29 March, 2013
Bezzle i had mine for about 2 months and its been great, the only issue i had was bleeding on the crossfader, but once i properly calibrated it which took a couple seconds bleeding was gone. The only problem is that the paint on the faders chips away but, i read that native instruments made the face plate replaceble so if it happens to yours you email them and theyll send you a new one once they get them out. But other then that the mixer is great and the usb hub is a life saver.
Mr. Goodkat 6:45 PM - 29 March, 2013
when its started it had a few problems

paint off plastic face plate
xfader bleeding

surprisingly enough the faders were sent out within the first month, they work great and feel great. most djs agree these faders are better than other stock xfaders and love them. i do.

the face plate got replaced with a metal face plate that the paint doesnt peel off.

all you had to do was send a service ticket to get it fixed.

unfortunately, i hate traktor and still use ssl. so i guess this mixer is really overpriced, because i dont need the soundcard.....
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:04 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
when its started it had a few problems

paint off plastic face plate
xfader bleeding

surprisingly enough the faders were sent out within the first month, they work great and feel great. most djs agree these faders are better than other stock xfaders and love them. i do.

the face plate got replaced with a metal face plate that the paint doesnt peel off.

all you had to do was send a service ticket to get it fixed.

unfortunately, i hate traktor and still use ssl. so i guess this mixer is really overpriced, because i dont need the soundcard.....

Ya i was wandering if the early adopter issues were corrected on later units, i still plan on using it with ssl as well
Mr. Goodkat 7:06 PM - 29 March, 2013
the lol moment was when they sent a metal face plate replacement in a brown envelop, with no reinforcement. Most were bent to the unusable point since they went in small mailboxes. but they resent the faceplates so no worries.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:16 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
the lol moment was when they sent a metal face plate replacement in a brown envelop, with no reinforcement. Most were bent to the unusable point since they went in small mailboxes. but they resent the faceplates so no worries.

.......wow lol
Dj R. Driver 11:36 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;)

run the trap!!!!! lol
the_black_one 11:43 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;)

run the trap!!!!! lol

cdn.instanttrap.com
Dj R. Driver 11:44 PM - 29 March, 2013
thats a trains joke
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:07 AM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;)

run the trap!!!!! lol

cdn.instanttrap.com

DAMN SON WHERED YOU FIND THAT! LOL
the_black_one 12:13 AM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;)

run the trap!!!!! lol

please cue to 1:16 Watchwww.youtube.com

cdn.instanttrap.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;)

run the trap!!!!! lol

cdn.instanttrap.com

please cue to 1:16
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:19 AM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:

lol exactly
Joshua Carl 8:26 AM - 30 March, 2013
while that the subject hand.... does anyone have that sample TOTALLY clean?
)run tha traaack( <----

every version i could find something happens at at the end.
I think i have evermix of it. no dice
Dj R. Driver 3:30 PM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:
)run tha traaack( <----

yup! run that trap shit!!!!!!
auttomattik 1:55 AM - 1 April, 2013
Z2 coming tomorrow, can't wait to see what the resale value is in 2 weeks.

................oh wait, gear whores don't seller mixers silly.
blackavenger 3:46 AM - 1 April, 2013
Quote:
can't wait to see what the resale value is in 2 weeks

It's about $150 less....at least from what I've seen on Ebay since it's release ;)
Djkom 1:44 PM - 3 April, 2013
I bought one last week (550€~700$) just for fun because I was interested in traktor remix deck...
I have to admit that the controls and the general look&feel are much better than the Rane 62 !!!
The hot cue buttons feel great and are much solid that the Rane 62 ones. Their color possibilities are just now essential for me.
The knobs feel greats too and they are accurate.
The led feedbacks for loop lengths are a great idea and so usefully !
The mini innofader crossfader is very smooth and cuts well.

The only complaint I have is the sound quality! Obviously Rane is far away higher in this area. The Traktor z2 sounds "flat" I mean there is no warn sound in the low frequency, and it lacks "punch"....

But for the price and what Traktor brings in terms new creativity in djing, I can say that is the deal of the year!!!

In fact I will keep both!
- Rane 62 for parties because of the simplicity, my huge serato libraries, the robustness...
- Traktor z2 for home (for the moment..) or small live events, for fun, for creativity, advanced performance...
auttomattik 5:30 PM - 3 April, 2013
I just got it and I'm very impressed with Z2. Its totally solid. I manage all my music in itunes so I don't really have to worry about the switch over to Traktor. I've never had a problem with using itunes with Serato. I know many dj's on this forum swear off itunes but I've never understood why. The fact is, for me, its just the learning curve of the software. I'm looking forward to having both softwares down pat and be able to rock whatever any venue or Dj has hooked up. It's great for travel. Also the Z2 being so much less I could honestly have a travel mixer and I studio mixer for the price I can sell my 62 for and have more $$$ left over. Then again I'm a gear whore and never sell anything.
Mr. Goodkat 6:12 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
I bought one last week (550€~700$) just for fun because I was interested in traktor remix deck...
I have to admit that the controls and the general look&feel are much better than the Rane 62 !!!
The hot cue buttons feel great and are much solid that the Rane 62 ones. Their color possibilities are just now essential for me.
The knobs feel greats too and they are accurate.
The led feedbacks for loop lengths are a great idea and so usefully !
The mini innofader crossfader is very smooth and cuts well.

The only complaint I have is the sound quality! Obviously Rane is far away higher in this area. The Traktor z2 sounds "flat" I mean there is no warn sound in the low frequency, and it lacks "punch"....

But for the price and what Traktor brings in terms new creativity in djing, I can say that is the deal of the year!!!

In fact I will keep both!
- Rane 62 for parties because of the simplicity, my huge serato libraries, the robustness...
- Traktor z2 for home (for the moment..) or small live events, for fun, for creativity, advanced performance...

i thought the sound was kinda flat to when i started using it, but since then, ive come to use it out and to record mixes and it actually sounds really good.
auttomattik 6:10 AM - 16 April, 2013
Been practicing on the Z2 for 3 weeks. Dope mixer but the verdict is still out on Traktor. I'm having a really hard time analyzing my tracks and getting all my id3 tags to show all the info. I'm gonna give it a few more weeks then do side by side comparison w/ the 62.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:03 PM - 16 April, 2013
I should rename this thread?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:14 PM - 16 April, 2013
Quote:
I should rename this thread?

Id be impressed if ya did lol
Will08272 6:23 PM - 16 April, 2013
Its super unlikely to happen so soon, but maybe rane could release a 62+ with a usb hub and take over the world.
auttomattik 7:44 PM - 16 April, 2013
What are you going to name it Shawn? Maybe put the actual name, Traktor Z2 in the title? I still have things I like better about the 62, but the differences shouldn't cost $1000-$1200. I like Serato itself better so far, but there are certain things in Traktor I like. I love being a DJ, I love equipment & tech so for me its just adding to hobby. I can go anywhere, play anything with any mixer is what I strive for. I didn't really make my decision out of disatifaction for serato, I just wanted to see how the other half lived. Again, 2 more weeks and I'll let ya know.
auttomattik 6:10 PM - 17 April, 2013
Figured out my analyze issue with Traktor, I should be able to set up my side by side soon. I have to say the signal seems stronger and slightly more dynamic than Serato. It may be the Z2 itself. Also I'm using Mackie 824 studio monitors and have not tested Traktor with live sound, an important test for sure. But for me, cutting and scratching it seems that there is absolute zero latency. And the sound of the cuts seem more like actual vinyl than Serato.

I'm not trying to do this to hear myself speak (or watch myself type) I'd like some feed back about both systems from people who have used both. I wanna know why DJ's switched to Traktor or stuck with Serato or vice versa.
AKIEM 7:00 PM - 17 April, 2013
^paying attention^
Mr. Goodkat 11:44 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
What are you going to name it Shawn? Maybe put the actual name, Traktor Z2 in the title? I still have things I like better about the 62, but the differences shouldn't cost $1000-$1200. I like Serato itself better so far, but there are certain things in Traktor I like. I love being a DJ, I love equipment & tech so for me its just adding to hobby. I can go anywhere, play anything with any mixer is what I strive for. I didn't really make my decision out of disatifaction for serato, I just wanted to see how the other half lived. Again, 2 more weeks and I'll let ya know.

its taken me a year plus to get going with traktor. ive had the mixer since it dropped and i still use serato with it.
auttomattik 12:19 AM - 18 April, 2013
its taken me a year plus to get going with traktor. ive had the mixer since it dropped and i still use serato with it.

Please elaborate. I wanna know issues that others have ran into.
pdidy 12:57 AM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
)run tha traaack( <----

soundcloud.com
Mr. Goodkat 2:06 AM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:

well, i just am more comfortable with serato sl, and there are trouble shooting areas that i would just rather make money with something i know inside and out. I'm getting closer to switching, but with Traktor, things need to be very organized and well directed for me. So i'm working on that aspect as well as learning the mixer and program inside and out before using it out. i used it twice last year, and i just couldnt move at the same pace as ssl, which is crucial since im playing open format gigs.
auttomattik 2:24 AM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

well, i just am more comfortable with serato sl, and there are trouble shooting areas that i would just rather make money with something i know inside and out. I'm getting closer to switching, but with Traktor, things need to be very organized and well directed for me. So i'm working on that aspect as well as learning the mixer and program inside and out before using it out. i used it twice last year, and i just couldnt move at the same pace as ssl, which is crucial since im playing open format gigs.

Word, I totally agree. I've only been using it for 3 weeks or so and I've been putting in a lot of time, it still feels slow going. I have to remind myself that, for me, it's 9 years vs 1 month. I think, from hearing A-trak talk about using both programs, is that managing music in itunes makes things easy so your playlists will always translate. I also set Traktor to check all the tracks when it opens so it analyzes any changes. Also, I rescan ID3 tags with Serato when it opens and BPM all my tracks outside both programs. I'm always making large set lists in itunes then refining them in Serato later. I'm trying to get good at this in Traktor, it's just not natural yet. But, I keep going back to sound, as someone that scratches, Traktor feels just that little bit more real, or authentic and warm, it's hard to describe. Thanks for the input man, I appreciate it. Keep it coming.
LilSwann 3:55 PM - 18 April, 2013
Imo I don't see how the Z2 and 62 can even closely be compared. Don't get me wrong I think the Z2 is a nice little mixer definitely the closest thing Traktor DJs have to having a 57, 61, or 62 to SSL users. Still with that being said at the end of the day these are MIXERS and as a mixer the Z2 just doesn't compare. To me it was very easy to see the differences just simply take away the control surface on both mixers and tell me what your left with.....

Z2
- 4 main inputs one CD & one Phone for each line, non- switchable

- XLR & RCA output with no separate gain control on the mixer.

- Mic and Aux input are combined together you can't use both a mic and have an external audio source (iPod, laptop, CDJ, etc.) running through the AUX input at the same time.

- Mic has a one-band EQ? (Tone knob below the gain on the top left of the mixer)

- Mic has only 1/4 inch input.

- no on-board effects just the Traktor effects being routed through the mixer. Also no send/returns for external effect unit.

- one usb port with usb hub (I do think this is a nice touch.)

- no separate gain control for extra decks in software.

- Mini innofaders on all faders.

- 4 main inputs that are all phono/line switchable.

- XLR & RCA session output with separate gain control on the mixer.

- Mic is separate from all other audio sources and can be used as a line input.

- Mic has 2 band EQ control plus ducking feature.

- Mic has XLR & 1/4 in combo input.

- On board effects that can be routed to PGM 1 & 2, mic, & usb aux. Also can route software effects through mixer plus external effect unit through the sends & returns.

- Split cue on headphones.

- usb aux output for SP-6 or another laptop running another program.

- Rane patented magnetic faders

- 2 usb inputs (GODSEND!!!)

So to me after looking at everything above it looks to be pretty obvious that the 62 is way more a mixer than Z2 on many levels whether it be simply things like switchable phone/line switches for inputs or more advanced things like built-in on-board effects.

Just my 2 cents and observation of both mixers.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:13 PM - 18 April, 2013
Can you plug midi controllers into the second usb in the 62
LilSwann 4:27 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:

Can you plug two laptops to the Z2? No to both our questions. I did state that the USB hub was a nice touch on the Z2 I didn't disregard it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:30 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Can you plug two laptops to the Z2? No to both our questions. I did state that the USB hub was a nice touch on the Z2 I didn't disregard it.

I was just asking, im trying to decide and i know i have several devicesvi use but i have zero plans on playin wiyh another dj
auttomattik 4:35 PM - 18 April, 2013
There is a gain control on the mixer for the remix decks in Traktor, so that is wrong. You are clearly slanted with your opinion towards Rane products. I've owned many Rane mixers, and I love the 62. Bu,t the issue here is making a direct side by side comparison. This will be done with just turntables, the mixers and there respective softwares. Like I said I've used Serato for 9 years or so, I'm trying to do this as non-biased as possible. I agree with you on a few slight advantages the 62 has over the Z2, but I think asking most of the DJ's around this joint, they will say those differences aren't worth $1200. That was the original point of this thread. And to be completely honest there are things about the Z2 that I like better, so pro for con they may be even. I am also trying to take into account the softwares. Right now obviously Serato has huge advantages for me in ease of use.

I'm not going to go down your list and question the usefullness of the differences between the 2 mixers. I hope that, to you, they are worth their weight. For me, don't bring up the faders, the faders are a wash as far as I'm concerned. Well, the crossfaders, if you cut with up/channel faders, the Z2 sucks. There is a lot of tension on them, better for mixing though. I actually give a slight knod the Mini Inofaders from a strict turntablist stand point.
LilSwann 4:43 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was just asking, im trying to decide and i know i have several devicesvi use but i have zero plans on playin wiyh another dj

In most cases I don't either but more recently I have been needing to switch between DJs and it would have been very nice to have this mixer.

Quote:
There is a gain control on the mixer for the remix decks in Traktor, so that is wrong. You are clearly slanted with your opinion towards Rane products. I've owned many Rane mixers, and I love the 62. Bu,t the issue here is making a direct side by side comparison. This will be done with just turntables, the mixers and there respective softwares. Like I said I've used Serato for 9 years or so, I'm trying to do this as non-biased as possible. I agree with you on a few slight advantages the 62 has over the Z2, but I think asking most of the DJ's around this joint, they will say those differences aren't worth $1200. That was the original point of this thread. And to be completely honest there are things about the Z2 that I like better, so pro for con they may be even. I am also trying to take into account the softwares. Right now obviously Serato has huge advantages for me in ease of use.

I'm not going to go down your list and question the usefullness of the differences between the 2 mixers. I hope that, to you, they are worth their weight. For me, don't bring up the faders, the faders are a wash as far as I'm concerned. Well, the crossfaders, if you cut with up/channel faders, the Z2 sucks. There is a lot of tension on them, better for mixing though. I actually give a slight knod the Mini Inofaders from a strict turntablist stand point.

I was mostly stating the difference between them as MIXERS by taking away the control surfaces on both mixers then comparing. If you honestly look at the Z2 without the controls then what is it as a mixer? I see a slightly above average 2 channel mixer with nice faders on it. Like I said I'm not knocking the mixer completely but as a true mixer I see the 62 having many advantages over the Z2 in my own opinion.
Mr. Goodkat 6:58 PM - 18 April, 2013
the outs on the z2 are rca, xlr and 1/4 inch as well.

and there is way to take the tension off the upfaders, its on the ni forum.

oh, at @automattik you can drag ssl crates to the prepare folder of ts to make playlists. thats kinda cool.
blackavenger 7:12 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Imo I don't see how the Z2 and 62 can even closely be compared.

I agree.

But where I disagree is when you claimed the 57 & 61 to be superior to it as well.
I'll go ahead and quote myself from earlier in the discussion......

Quote:
I have NO DOUBT in my mind that the 61 is better built than the Z2. We have to compare the Z2 w' the 61, because the 62's (2) USB ports put it in a class of it's own. That being said, the Z2 destroys the 61 as far as software integration is concerned. So, with the 61 coming in at US $1,400, and the Z2 coming in at US $800, you could just about buy (2) Z2's for just about the same price as (1) 61......that's a temptation that's hard to pass up!

LOL, that being said, I did pass on it to get a Denon X1600.....now I'm regretting it.
Mr. Goodkat 7:17 PM - 18 April, 2013
i wish rane and ni could get some simple efx like pioneer, just a simple echo/delay/reverb with a button and dry/wet knob. i do like having a independent filter on the z2, something that rane could benefit from imo
auttomattik 7:47 PM - 18 April, 2013
Also the control of the software efx is good to have on the Z2, which gives you a lot of options. I like the filter on the 62 much better. Also, the on board efx on the 62 are really good. I just wish you didn't have to midi map the software efx.
Mr. Goodkat 9:59 PM - 18 April, 2013
for some reason i still havent played on a 62, so many pioneer 8/900s in my area. For some reason i dont like the look of the layout. I think i got burned by the 68, i hated that mixer.
forty 10:48 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
i wish rane and ni could get some simple efx like pioneer, just a simple echo/delay/reverb with a button and dry/wet knob. i do like having a independent filter on the z2, something that rane could benefit from imo

The 62 has filters on each channel.

I agree with you regarding the layout though. I actually think the way the Z2 is laid out is much cleaner and more ergonomic. I'm not so sure RANE should keep focussing on keeping the bottom face plate totally bare.
Mr. Goodkat 10:59 PM - 18 April, 2013
ah, oops
pdidy 11:30 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The 62 has filters on each channel.

I agree with you regarding the layout though. I actually think the way the Z2 is laid out is much cleaner and more ergonomic. I'm not so sure RANE should keep focussing on keeping the bottom face plate totally bare.

Rane 57,61,62,56 mixers have been designed with the Turntablist/scratch dj in mind. Hence the bare bottom face plate......Notice the 68 is not bare and is focused on a different type of dj....
forty 1:10 AM - 19 April, 2013
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I own HAK 320 & 360's.

I'm not a battle DJ, but I do cut & juggle. Having all that space is cool if you're doing extensive performances etc. but it is an awful waste of space for the majority of DJ's and IMHO, I really don't think it needs to be THAT bare.

I mean, if A-Trak, Craze, Shiftee etc. can pull off bullshit turntablist routines on other mixers that don't have bare face plates, I'm sure others can to.

I just personally think the cue button layout and controls feel cramped on the 62 as opposed to something like the Z2. It feels like you have to think more when triggering as opposed to going by instinct.

Also, I feel the 68 layout is ugly. I have a thing with that mixer not being symmetrical. HEHE....

Again, this is just my opinion and the 62 seems to be a popular mixer, so who am I to criticise right? ;)
forty 1:13 AM - 19 April, 2013
BTW, I'm not even a Hip Hop DJ and I prefer the layout of 2 channel battle mixers.

I don't really subscribe to the motion that you must use a certain mixer if you play a certain style of music.

I do agree that they have their benefits for that style of mixing, but I think you should be able to still play an exceptional set on most mixers - rotary knobs aside.

For example: I LOVE the horizontal EQ layout on the HAK mixers, but that doesn't stop me using every other mixer. To me it feels more natural to use the EQ with both hands at the same horizontal level, but, no other manufacture makes mixers that way.

Again, each to their own.
Laz219 1:19 AM - 19 April, 2013
I'm the same, always used 2ch 'scratch' mixers even though I hardly scratch. Just like the layout of them.

The SixtyEight is pretty ugly, but for functionality It's pretty well done IMO.
pdidy 3:15 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
I mean, if A-Trak, Craze, Shiftee etc. can pull off bullshit turntablist routines on other mixers that don't have bare face plates, I'm sure others can to.

But A-Trak, Craze, Shiftee can destroy 99% of all djs with 1 turntable and no mixer so I dont thing thats a good example.....lol

My point is there are many different types of mixers so if a 62 does not fit your style of use.....theres many others that will.
forty 3:55 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

But A-Trak, Craze, Shiftee can destroy 99% of all djs with 1 turntable and no mixer so I dont thing thats a good example.....lol

I was waiting for you to say that. Ha!

Quote:
My point is there are many different types of mixers so if a 62 does not fit your style of use.....theres many others that will.

For sure and hence I personally don't own one. I still think the layout could be re-imagined. If you compare it a lot of other modern 'battle' mixers, the bottom half is quite bare and the top half is quite crammed.

Anyhoo, like I said before, each to their own. :)
auttomattik 6:22 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Yeah, I'm well aware of that.

I mean, if A-Trak, Craze, Shiftee etc. can pull off bullshit turntablist routines on other mixers that don't have bare face plates, I'm sure others can.....

"Bullshit turntablist routines"? Elaborate on that. I'm really curious what you mean.

Quote:
BTW, I'm not even a Hip Hop DJ and I prefer the layout of 2 channel battle mixers.

I truly hate the classification of DJs. "I'm a hop hop DJ" "I play Psy-Trance", wtf. What happened to just being a DJ?

Anyway I want this thing to get back to comparing the 62 and Z2, Serato vs Traktor. Two channel mixers are the basis of all DJing, so Rane tried to bring the new world idea to the old school layout. I like the que buttons much more on the z2. There are many reasons its better, but I like that the 62 has 1 more button each side pf the cue section which is nice. I continue to be impressed with the build quality of the Z2 for the $. I expected the quality of the 62 because of the price. I hope more people who have actually used at least one of these mixers can comment and more people that have used both would be great.
forty 12:18 PM - 19 April, 2013
I meant bullshit as in good. Not like they're weak.

On reflection, I can see how that could have been misconstrued.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:16 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
I meant bullshit as in good. Not like they're weak.

On reflection, I can see how that could have been misconstrued.

0_o
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:42 PM - 19 April, 2013
So would the Pioneer DJM T1 be classified as good or bad when compared to either of those mixers??
auttomattik 8:08 PM - 19 April, 2013
I never tried it, but in talking to a few of the dudes sponsored by NI they never adopted it. Most them used a 900 or a 56 with a traktor box cause they never liked that mixer.
dj_soo 6:04 AM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:

62 has both of those.
Mr. Goodkat 4:40 PM - 20 April, 2013
damn, i need a 62 :)
Niro 7:23 PM - 20 April, 2013
Is the 62 worth it, yes it is. I personally like the open face, it's nice and clean. The cue buttons on the sides sometimes get in the way. The 62 is solid.
DJMark 9:47 PM - 20 April, 2013
The level of user support that Rane gives (especially compared with Native Instruments, LOL LOL LOL) is worth mentioning, and is a big part of the value of Rane products.

Have specific technical questions? Post in the forum or email and you'll get an informed response from someone at Rane within a day or so. If you need an immediate response, make a phone call and (during business hours) you're speaking with someone at the Rane factory who will help you out.

Also the component/build-quality of the products Rane makes is on a different level than most DJ gear, and you don't get raped for out-of-warranty repairs.
forty 11:56 PM - 20 April, 2013
100% agree with the above.

Also note that RANE equipment is still manufactured in the USA (one of the few left doing so). This will impact the price of their equipment severely. Even if they were making subpar gear, the labor costs alone would still make it more expensive than other equipment.

It's funny that we all want stuff cheap and then lament the fact that our own countries have little to no industries left.
auttomattik 12:51 AM - 21 April, 2013
Again, just trying to play fair in this thing. I own multiple Rane and NI products. The support has been great, for me, from both companies. Most recently I contacted NI about the Z2 and they got back to me with in hours and are fixing the minor face plate issue I had. And, again, yes the 62 has its advantages, but I don't think most people here have tried both or are open to trying Traktor. The point is not to disparage one or the other, its to do an honest product comparison.

And yes, US built is a great advantage. Although I wonder what forty drives? Odds are it isn't US built.
forty 2:35 AM - 21 April, 2013
You seem to think we (me in particular) are trying to put the 62 down. You couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, if you read carefully, I said I preferred the layout of the Z2 and mentioned I own Ecler mixers.

I'm trying to do the same thing you are and compare both products and put opinions out there. I own both SSL & Traktor and used to own Itch.

BTW, I'm Australian and I drive a cheap Japanese hatchback. My money goes into the studio. Audio equipment isn't cheap. ;) My point about the USA built was to try and put some perspective on the cost difference. If it's not made in China, it's going to be more expensive. It's the same story here in Aus. We talk about retail being in the shitter and nothing being manufactured here, but then we all (myself included) by Chinese made TV's etc. It's a globally economy. I was merely pointing it out for reference.

Anyhoo, I share your view. Don't get defensive and misinterpret. ;)
forty 2:36 AM - 21 April, 2013
Buy & Global. I curse the lack of edit. :(
auttomattik 5:45 AM - 21 April, 2013
Yo, forty, I'm really not being defensive at all, just poking fun. I also own an ecler HAK 380 (I haven't used it in 3-4 years) and I'm a fan of those mixers. I sold a 360 like a year ago. I understand putting all your $$$ into gear and music, I've been doing it for 20 years. I'm also a gear and music hoarder. It was hard for me to sell that 360, haha. I have 2 vestax mixers that haven't been used forever, and I can't part with it.

Anyway, I love these 2 mixers we're debating. I'm leaning towards the 62 but its close. Again I have to clear room in the studio for the side by side to really figure this out.
forty 6:59 AM - 21 April, 2013
You know what I think would be interesting? Opening these mixers up and seeing if there's any space to throw in an SL2/Audio4. You know, like the mods people do to HAK's & Vestax mixers. If this could be done, the advantage would be with the Z2 due to price.

Obviously your warranty would be void, but it would be interesting to know if it was doable. It's like the ultimate MIDI mappable DVS mixer. :)
forty 7:02 AM - 21 April, 2013
Oh, and I'm an audio engineer by day and also produce/release music, so you can imagine how much dosh I've spent over the years.

Sigh........ ;)
auttomattik 7:02 AM - 21 April, 2013
That's a job for Akiem.
Niro 10:00 AM - 21 April, 2013
Not sure it would be worth it to put an SL2 in there, it would ad to the price of the mixer by $400 and you still only have one sound card and also a make shift mixer of sorts. The Z2 isn't a bad mixer, but it's not a 62 and you still have to plug an SL box into it to use Serato.
auttomattik 1:10 PM - 21 April, 2013
I think Forty's idea is to have both programs work with one mixer, not just to make the z2 a Serato mixer. I have been going back and forth between the 2, they aren't that far off. One thing I miss on the Z2 is pan. But I like the flux a lot on the Z2. The headphone section is much better on the 62. Keeping the comparison going.
MPC O.G. 7:05 PM - 21 April, 2013
These 2 mixer are completely different in terms of philosophy. The 62 is a MONSTER, no doubt about it. The 62 has higher functionality built into it. The Z2 is dependent on the software it was made for to be fully utilized. That doesnt mean the Z2 is a bad mixer, just that it does things differently. I think when the next version of it comes out, it will be on more of a par with the 62. Remember this is NI's first mixer. Pioneer had a chance to unseat Rane when the put out the T1. Unfortunately they made a half assed mixer instead of making a TSP certified 909. Too bad they fucked up. The T1 is still a good mixer and the price is falling every day. Maybe a T1 with a F1 is a better solution than the Z2. It should be pretty close in price now. Anyone rocking that combo? I will most likely be buying a Z2 in a month or so, but if the T1 and F1/X1 combo is less, that might be the way to go.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:20 PM - 21 April, 2013
Never used the Z2 myself but I do use a T1 and its great. But like you said its still dependent on the software and if were gonna look at it from that perspective then Id say the T1 wins. Way more control over the software with the exception of the remix decks in my opinion.... Other then that the buttons on the Z2 might feel better if, as for controlling effects both mixers have to run internally to take advantage of post fader effects but then with the T1 you have more knobs and buttons then the Z2 so you can do more more with effects using the T1 over the Z2.

Id say grab a T1 and F1/X1 and your good to go........
forty 11:40 PM - 21 April, 2013
Quote:
The Z2 is dependent on the software it was made for to be fully utilized.

How is that different to the 62 or any DVS enabled mixer?
MPC O.G. 3:49 AM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
The Z2 is dependent on the software it was made for to be fully utilized.

How is that different to the 62 or any DVS enabled mixer?

The 62 has onboard effects, correct? The Z2 does not.
forty 6:04 AM - 22 April, 2013
True. I wasn't thinking of that.

The way you worded it led me to believe you were implying without Traktor the mixer didn't function. So I thought you were basically saying to utilise all the loops, cue points etc.

But yes, the 62 has onboard FX and also the ability to route analog signals through SSL's FX and back into the mixer. Very cool feature.

I wish the DJ equipment industry would be a bit more like the studio/production world. Imagine if we could just use any mixer with an in built sound card like the DJM900 for example, and use whatever software we want with it. Kind of like using any DAW with andy 3rd party sound card via Core Audio/ASIO drivers. It would be sooooo much simpler for the the nightclub industry.

I guess software like this does exist like Deckadance for example. But, we'd need the 2 big players like NI & Serato to jump on board as that's where the market dominance is.

I know that wouldn't be good for hardware manufacturers, but it would push software developers to compete on features. I'm sure they could lock down the piracy, but I guess if someone wants to hack it, there will always be a way.

Again, just thinking out loud. I'm sure it will never happen.....
rodwater 12:45 PM - 25 April, 2013
I'm a proud owner of a rane 62 but I just picked up a used z2 this week and I'm blown away by it. The layout and software integration is well thought out and although I prefer Serato to Traktor, the remix decks are starting to change my mind. I was one of the few people to use Ableton Bridge and Remix Decks is a much more efficient and elegant version.

The mini innofader is also quite nice - very smooth with a nice cut in. Assuming it holds up to heavy use, I don't feel the need to even upgrade to the full innofader.

I also like how the cue buttons are on the sides of the mixer. It kind of approximates the location of dicers in my setup. I like to quickly trigger cues with my record hand while cutting and having the cue button along the side makes this possible.

Right now I'm wondering whether or not to keep the 62 or sell it and pick up an sl3 just to still be serato ready.

I hope Rane and Serato are paying attention and respond well to this power play by the Native Instruments guys. This type of competition is great for tech whores.
SeriousCyrus 2:08 PM - 25 April, 2013
I got a sixty two a couple of weeks ago, blown away by it, massive improvement on my ecler and sl1, difference in sound quality and build was astounding.

I used to use an apc40 along with dicers, now everything i need is on the mixer, i only miss my mapped nudges, and had to relearn nudging the decks manualy, i was a bit rusty.

Only other niggle is the eq nobs, huge an clear on the ecler, but a bit harder to see their position at a glance over the ecler.

I'll never be a scratcher, but that huge area around the faders has other advantages.

youtu.be
auttomattik 2:15 PM - 25 April, 2013
I was never a Bridge user and I haven't tapped into the Remix decks yet, but they look dope for sure. I bounce back a forth everyday between the two, and I love them both. It's a tough contest. Its hard to play and try to learn a new program at the same time. Over the years Serato has become like an appendage, second nature. Overall that is biggest problem with Traktor, unfamiliarity.
Nateball305 7:28 PM - 27 April, 2013
The 62 was worth every penny for me because I wanted to develop and build on my skills while not relying on overuse of technology, I used Traktor for my first few years (bedroom DJ) and I loved it but eventually I wanted to take it to another level and move from controllers to vinyl. Also I wanted to be able to step into the club scene and not look like I wasn't familiar with Serato, this was only after an opportunity arose, if I hadn't been given the chance to play out in public, I probably wouldn't have spent as much. Ill tell you this much tho, ill never go back :) tech 1200's and my 62 are all I want to use now. And yeah, it's built like a tank, I play out fri and sat nights every week and never a problem. Rock solid performance, no surprises and zero latency.
DjWoody 8:01 PM - 3 June, 2013
WOW... NI just dropped the price on this mixer to $599! You know what that means? There's probably an MK2 or a revised version coming out very soon. NI is notorious for slashing prices right before major upgrades.

AKIEM 8:17 PM - 3 June, 2013
I'm actually sad the SP6 was not built out to be comp for remix decks.
blackavenger 8:18 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:

Likewise....been saying it since the beginning!
AKIEM 8:21 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Likewise....been saying it since the beginning!

Me too.

And I've asked them directly various times without any decent answers.
pdidy 8:50 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:

what are the major benefits of remix decks ? Can you point me to a short youtube video that demos its best features.
AKIEM 9:02 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

what are the major benefits of remix decks ? Can you point me to a short youtube video that demos its best features.

Honestly I've only seen the introduction ad, and resisted looking into what exactly they do. Instead I've been investigating how to do the live remixing type stuff and went ahead and purchased Ableton, even though I really didn't want to.

And I've complained to Serato about the 'incomplete' SP6 - my best guess is they think its complete.

Sad.
Will08272 9:47 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

There pretty much a baby abelton that sync to whatever channel you make the master. They can be played in loop mode, one shot, with the F1 they will have there own volume and effects and be scratched to. Ive never used the bridge but its pretty much imo the bridge with some added features. Funny i have a freaking Z2 and never bothered to use traktor.
Mr. Goodkat 9:47 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
WOW... NI just dropped the price on this mixer to $599! You know what that means? There's probably an MK2 or a revised version coming out very soon. NI is notorious for slashing prices right before major upgrades.

i can see this, they had so much trouble with the face plates and xfader, that it makes sense to start over. i still see some people never got the faceplate or the xfader on the NI board. i got mine though.
Will08272 12:24 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

i can see this, they had so much trouble with the face plates and xfader, that it makes sense to start over. i still see some people never got the faceplate or the xfader on the NI board. i got mine though.

Still haven't received mine, havent even gotten an email response when they asked for my serial and info, speaking of i gotta email them again to get that taken care of.
ekwipt 12:39 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say its more likely to get more people into Traktor before the release of Traktor 3 by the end if the year, which is a paid upgrade.

I'm expecting a proper 4 channel mixer from NI on release of th new version and really hoping they come out with separate platter controllers, I'm in the market for CDJ2000 :) but might be swayed if NI can get it right.
funkyfresh2012 12:53 AM - 4 June, 2013
Have you guys checked out DJ Shiftee's routine breakdown. Pretty sick. I hope Rane/Serato is taking notes....
Watchwww.youtube.com
funkyfresh2012 12:54 AM - 4 June, 2013
Priced at $599 US for the month of June. Tempted to make a switch :( or buy it and have both :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:32 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Priced at $599 US for the month of June. Tempted to make a switch :( or buy it and have both :)

Is it confirmed its just for this month?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:34 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

IDK, theyve been putting everything on sale, they just got done selling a pack of every maschine expansion as a group for $99
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:38 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

Its marked down on guitar centers website to....i wander if a guiter center coupon will work on this
blackavenger 4:42 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Well, here you go, but it's not short....

Watchwww.youtube.com
dreamkast 11:29 AM - 4 June, 2013
How you guys finding Traktor with 13" laptops (screen real-estate wise)
phatbob 12:23 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

The interface is hugely customisable. That's one of its strengths.
Mr. Goodkat 5:25 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

too small even with customization.
blackavenger 6:39 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

too small even with customization.

I disagree.
Mr. Goodkat 6:45 PM - 4 June, 2013
i can use it, but you gotta admit extra 2'' would help, but i would rather have a 13'' comp. IMO ssl looks much roomier than ts2.
phonze 6:56 PM - 4 June, 2013
traktor is a mess for me to navigate. i just find for open format where im playing multiple genres going through numerous crates, SSL is a must. but if it's maybe a straight EDM set (which basically never happens) Traktor is the way to go. until I figure out my work flow in there Im sticking to SSL.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
traktor is a mess for me to navigate. i just find for open format where im playing multiple genres going through numerous crates, SSL is a must. but if it's maybe a straight EDM set (which basically never happens) Traktor is the way to go. until I figure out my work flow in there Im sticking to SSL.

basically this. ive had the z2, play on it at home. and i still go with ssl when doing open format, which is 90% of my gigs.
k2board2003 10:45 PM - 4 June, 2013
The favorites tab really helps for the navigation but I do prefer SSL for library searching.
dreamkast 12:14 AM - 5 June, 2013
The only way I can get everything on my screen and still have room to look at my tracks is to switch between views with space bar. Anyone using Itunes library for SSL and Traktor both to read from? Annoying using both as you gotta set cues and loops with both programs.
phonze 1:12 AM - 5 June, 2013
try the traktor ssl database converter. for the most part, it works in carrying over your cue points from SSL. but the crates man, crates you gotta rebuild yourself. unless u have everything organized through itunes anyways. I really, really wish I did that from the very beginning. too late now, way too time consuming for me. I've always built my own crates in SSL so those don't carry over into traktor.
howcome 1:17 AM - 5 June, 2013
I just bought a 62 today from AGI. Was looking at the Z2 but read about the fader problems and decided to stick with SSL. Video was also a must. Those remix decks do intrigue me though. Come on Serato step it up.
Laz219 3:19 AM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:
try the traktor ssl database converter. for the most part, it works in carrying over your cue points from SSL. but the crates man, crates you gotta rebuild yourself. unless u have everything organized through itunes anyways. I really, really wish I did that from the very beginning. too late now, way too time consuming for me. I've always built my own crates in SSL so those don't carry over into traktor.

I know nothing about Traktor, but would you not be able to drop your crates from SSL into itunes playlists, and then read those itunes playlists in traktor to make crates from?
phonze 3:26 AM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:

I know nothing about Traktor, but would you not be able to drop your crates from SSL into itunes playlists, and then read those itunes playlists in traktor to make crates from?

I have no idea how to get my serato crates i've created into itunes though. but im gonna google it now and hopefully figure it out.
Laz219 3:56 AM - 5 June, 2013
Create a playlist in itunes, highlight all tracks in the crate...drag and drop onto itunes playlist.
Mr. Goodkat 4:10 AM - 5 June, 2013
crates to preparation window in ts2, then create a new playlist. for some reason you always use the prep window and delete the playlist. or at least my backward way of doing it.
phonze 5:30 AM - 5 June, 2013
oh wow, it works! thanks guys
Daniel Ventura 10:46 AM - 5 June, 2013
easiest way is: drag n drop crates/playlists from ssl to ts2 ;-) just oben both programs beside each other and drag n drop.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:28 PM - 5 June, 2013
Did we ever figure out if using the same mp3 in scratch live and traktor causes issues (analyzing vs beatgridding)
phonze 3:29 PM - 5 June, 2013
I haven't had any issues in regards to that so far. At least not in scratch live.
Daniel Ventura 3:45 PM - 5 June, 2013
No issues At all
WarpNote 5:01 PM - 5 June, 2013
Traktor is known to screw up tags...
Ive had the year tags messed up by Traktor,
not mp3 files, but Apple Lossless ALAC and Apple Lossy AAC (files from itunes store.)

That said, as I now have upgraded my gig computer, I might look into traktor again,
mostly to learn more stuff, but maybe broaden my options in the long run.
DJMark 5:06 PM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:
Traktor is known to screw up tags...

STILL?

I had a Traktor Tagging Nightmare in 2004-2005...one of the many reasons I stopped using it and Final Scratch.
WarpNote 5:27 PM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:
STILL?

I had a Traktor Tagging Nightmare in 2004-2005...

Well, I had those issues last year....
Daniel Ventura 7:27 PM - 5 June, 2013
using ssl and Traktor on one Laptop, never had any Problems with tags etc. i'm using flac and mp3. be careful with iTunes and your Traktor tagged files!
dreamkast 5:26 AM - 6 June, 2013
Feels kinda wrong talking about all this Traktor stuff on this forum but anyone discovered any close equivalent of the roll out or echo effects Traktor?
Mr. Goodkat 7:52 AM - 6 June, 2013
traktor has a better forum here than there actual forum. i dont think anyone minds.
DJ Michael Basic 7:55 AM - 6 June, 2013
Just won this mixer in a DJ Battle. Haven't ever played with Traktor...but I'm debating taking it out to mess around with it or just selling it as new in the box.
DJ Literal 8:02 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
The two USB ports on the 62 to make switchover seamless is a massive plus in itself imo.

Quality build aside, why the bleep would anyone justify a price by saying it's easier to switch to ANOTHER DJ... a DJ who isn't paying a dime ?
pdidy 9:17 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Quality build aside, why the bleep would anyone justify a price by saying it's easier to switch to ANOTHER DJ... a DJ who isn't paying a dime ?

i refuse to believe you cant think of 1 good reason why that may be very important.
phatbob 9:28 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Feels kinda wrong talking about all this Traktor stuff on this forum but anyone discovered any close equivalent of the roll out or echo effects Traktor?

Traktor's Echo Freeze is what Serato's Echo Out fantasises about being.
DJ Literal 6:09 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i refuse to believe you cant think of 1 good reason why that may be very important.

I can, everyone can, but I would never spend extra personal cash on a mixer to benefit someone else. Get what I'm saying?
WarpNote 6:18 PM - 6 June, 2013
There is more to the dual ports than just easy switchover guys...
www.rane.com
LilSwann 6:40 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
www.rane.com

^^^^This
Laz219 11:46 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can, everyone can, but I would never spend extra personal cash on a mixer to benefit someone else. Get what I'm saying?

Well if you only ever play alone, you wouldn't. Becuase obviously that would leave the other person with your interface. A lot of people play out with groups of people and it just makes sense.
DJ Literal 12:07 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well if you only ever play alone, you wouldn't. Becuase obviously that would leave the other person with your interface. A lot of people play out with groups of people and it just makes sense.

I play with people... A moderate amount, but I would still never fork up extra cash... Even if I played with people all the time
DJMark 12:42 AM - 7 June, 2013
The dual-USB feature is pretty compelling for installations...venue management that wants less (ideally, no) issues when DJ's switch over find the dual-interface thing very worthwhile. Especially when it's as easy to use as it is on the 62. And if you do tag-teaming it's pretty awesome for that.
Dj Nyce 9:18 AM - 12 June, 2013
Quote:
www.rane.com

when serato is running this feature is useless as serato takes over with its drivers. Right now the only thing you can do with serato + dual usb is switch dj's.

you can do something with the second port if you have a 2nd computer tho...

and as for as easy dj switchover it's great when it's the clubs mixer. but if bring my own mixer and switch, i would have wait for dj zero to get off. and why would i care about making it easy for dj zero to get on in the first place? fuck him. with an sl1 i plug mines in, he plugs his in. i rock out. i take my sl1. he plays levels. i go get a drink and go get paid and i'm off to the next gig.

i think the feature makes sense for clubs tho and should be standard on any club mixer that works with ssl or traktor.

p.s. i have a 62 and i love it, except for the serato driver debacle
nik39 9:48 AM - 12 June, 2013
Quote:
except for the serato driver debacle

+1.

Ridiculous.
dj-freestyle 4:46 PM - 13 June, 2013
Ya couldnt be that hard for them to open that second usb up to be used when serato is plugged in. rane needs to get on that. quickly.
DJRemixEnt 5:27 PM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
rane needs to get on that. quickly.

its not up to Rane...it's on Serato to make it available
Evon 9:10 PM - 13 June, 2013
Z2 no doubt, its a nobrainer.
WarpNote 9:13 AM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:
when serato is running this feature is useless as serato takes over with its drivers. Right now the only thing you can do with serato + dual usb is switch dj's.
Quote:
you can do something with the second port if you have a 2nd computer tho...
Now thats a contradiction... Most studios have more than 1 computer.

Quote:
except for the serato driver debacle
Yeah, I do agree, but the feature I described is far from useless. Would like those drivers to be more open myself: use both ports on the same computer, midi assign for other apps while running ssl, midi out, and hid for the nexus players...
Niro 10:11 AM - 16 June, 2013
Two sound cards in the 62 is a awesome and is very useful when switching DJs, from either a scratch session to continual tag teaming.
phatbob 1:00 PM - 16 June, 2013
Of course, with the current price reduction on the Z2, the thread title should really be changed to 'Is the Rane 62 worth nearly 4 times the price of this?'
lvmez 2:34 PM - 16 June, 2013
And the answer is still yes.
Joee 5:14 PM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:

ha, that's why i have 4
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:12 PM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

ha, that's why i have 4

Pictures or it's not True......
Joee 11:12 PM - 16 June, 2013
here's 2------> imageshack.us
-------> imageshack.us

still haven't taken a pic of all four together
nik39 11:20 PM - 16 June, 2013
Nice try :D
Joee 11:25 PM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:

hun....... you do see the speakers in the pic right? zxa5's nuff said :D
Joee 11:25 PM - 16 June, 2013
^ damm typo ^ huh
Niro 11:29 PM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:
-------> imageshack.us

Those Denon 3900's look just like turntables.
Joee 11:31 PM - 16 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
-------> imageshack.us

Those Denon 3900's look just like turntables.

again i say huh.....denon 3900's what???????
nik39 12:05 AM - 17 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

hun....... you do see the speakers in the pic right? zxa5's nuff said :D

What do the speakers have to do with four 62s?
Joee 12:18 AM - 17 June, 2013
it's the kind of speaker that 90% of dj's want, but can't get over the price tag of $3,400 for a pair, i like spending money on quality gear, trust i do have the other 2

when the mixer first came out i said i had two, everyone on the forum said the same thing pics or it's not true, so i took the pic of two & here we are all over again, pics or it's no true
lvmez 12:42 AM - 17 June, 2013
Believe him, he has 4. Every time there is an opportunity for Joee talk about his gear, he does.
DJ Reflex 2:34 AM - 17 June, 2013
That second mixer looked superimposed to me! Some Photoshop trickery going on here...

LOL
the_black_one 3:30 AM - 17 June, 2013
Pic with your ID a news paprer with the date on it and all 4 mixers.. LOL
DJ Jonasty 5:39 AM - 17 June, 2013
I just bought a 62 to upgrade the 57. Now I have to fly to America tomorrow to pick it up. I looked at the Z2 for a minute. No send return is a turn off for me. I like to use an external efx unit. I also like the mixing routing options on Ranes. Plus made in the USA is just awesome. Where is the Z2 made anybody know?
Daniel Ventura 6:21 AM - 17 June, 2013
the z2 in engineered in berlin germany and manufactured in china at least parts of it.
Joee 12:32 PM - 17 June, 2013
Quote:
Believe him, he has 4. Every time there is an opportunity for Joee talk about his gear, he does.

who me? noooooooo, i haven't even been on the forum for a while, ivmez ask rob how many 62 i bought next time your at pas

Quote:
Pic with your ID a news paprer with the date on it and all 4 mixers.. LOL

lmfao........hahhhahaaha, get the fu#k outahere .........lol, when i first got them i put the invoice up to show how much i payed a few people looked at it
lvmez 1:30 PM - 17 June, 2013
Lol. Bro, I believe you. I remember you putting a picture of your receipt on here.

You do live to talk about your equipment. Lol.

I'll be at PAS today.
Joee 1:39 PM - 17 June, 2013
Quote:
Lol. Bro, I believe you. I remember you putting a picture of your receipt on here.

I'll be at PAS today.

i don't live to talk about my gear, there is alot of gear i own that i have never mentioned, i just got caught up in that hole 62 thread everyone talking about them saying there where to much, than a few people where like NO WAY YOU GOT TWO, they were right i got 4 .......lol, tell rob i said wasup, i should be getting another vci 380 from him soon, tell him to have it ready
AustinG 2:10 PM - 17 June, 2013
It doesn't matter what you have (as long as your on 1200's or j's ;) talent and developing your own style/brand is most important.

The 62 is worth every penny. Z2 is also a great mixer, so is the pioneer line. Just get what you can afford/prefer and master it.

If you're anything like me you will want to try everything... Currently my Z2 is still in the box and original packaging. I'm just having too much fun with the 62 right now.
trayE 5:59 PM - 23 June, 2013
Hi,

Is Traktor Z2 mappable to SSL ? Has anyone been able to map it ? Not just cue points but browsing, loading tracks, effects, etc, etc.. I have a SL-2 and now with the recent price drop, I'm thinking of buying it.

I know that in theory every midi device should be mappable to SSL, but I found it strange that no such info could be found on the internet. As apposed to the djm-T1 (which is basically the same mixer)

And, IF the faders could be mapped, does that mean post fader fx can be done in SSL ?

Thanks !
WarpNote 6:03 PM - 23 June, 2013
Quote:
And, IF the faders could be mapped, does that mean post fader fx can be done in SSL ?

I don't have the Z2, but if it sends midi, you should have no problem mapping it, not so sure about the lights though. For post fader SSL internal FX, you will need the Rane 61, 62 or 68.
(not sure about the 57...)
AKIEM 6:06 PM - 23 June, 2013
57 FX are post faderable - but not by design - it's a work around which puts FX on the aux/mic channel as well - pain to turn off if you want to use them
WarpNote 6:15 PM - 23 June, 2013
Ah ok, thanks.
On the 68/62 the software FX are native post fader, its just a setting in preferences.
No pain involved. Although I prefer the hardware FX myself...
trayE 6:26 PM - 23 June, 2013
Well, that's not a deal breaker for me. That's if everything else could be mapped.

Honestly if the 61 could be mapped and used for browsing I would buy it and sell the sl-2. At this point I'm stuck between buying the DJM-T1 or Z2. I don't really see other choice for that kind of money..
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:30 PM - 23 June, 2013
Djm t1 with a sl2 is all you need plus the t1 has a lot more control for fx, sampler, cue points and there a work around for the lights.
auttomattik 2:55 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be at PAS today.

i don't live to talk about my gear, there is alot of gear i own that i have never mentioned, i just got caught up in that hole 62 thread everyone talking about them saying there where to much, than a few people where like NO WAY YOU GOT TWO, they were right i got 4 .......lol, tell rob i said wasup, i should be getting another vci 380 from him soon, tell him to have it ready

Well, I drive a Dodge Stratus!
DJ Jonasty 4:52 AM - 26 June, 2013
Just got the 62 and have spent the last two days playing on it. This is hands down the best mixer I have ever used. I know I'm late to the party but Rane really did get this one right.
dj-freestyle 3:50 PM - 26 June, 2013
Welcome and you are right. In 20 plus years best ive used and ive used them all just about. lol lol
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:25 PM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:
Just got the 62 and have spent the last two days playing on it. This is hands down the best mixer I have ever used. I know I'm late to the party but Rane really did get this one right.

Awesome, glad you're liking it! :)
MelonHead 11:09 PM - 30 June, 2013
Just got a 62 myself.. effin luv this thing. And Shaun, u the man!
North-Rider 2:43 AM - 1 July, 2013
Hoping to pick up a 62z as soon as I can move my DJM900 nexus. Will be joining the masses soon
DJMark 4:17 AM - 1 July, 2013
I've recently put in 62's at both the places I play at regularly, and also got one for myself.

Major improvement in sound quality in the place where the 62 replaced a Pioneer mixer + SL4. Everyone noticed that immediately. "More punch", "way less harsh".
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:04 PM - 1 July, 2013
Awesome! Thanks for all the support guys!
djkocka 8:44 AM - 28 November, 2014
[post removed]
blackavenger 1:49 PM - 28 November, 2014
Bro, this isn't like DJTechTools Forum...you can't sell your stuff on Serato Forum!! Like, nowhere on the site is it okay. They just don't allow it.
djkocka 3:05 PM - 28 November, 2014
Thanks for the note, mate. I wasn't aware. My apologies.
blackavenger 4:37 PM - 28 November, 2014
You're welcome.
Asu 6:26 PM - 3 December, 2014
i still have a 57 and i'm still amazed by how much functinality/quality rane put into that Mixer :-) going for a 62 soon :-)