DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Do you spin a song more then once?????

The Real DJ Maestro 8:15 PM - 5 April, 2008
If a song is really hot, and it always gets the crowd dancing.... How many times a night do u play it, and if u do play it more then once, how do u spin it. Do u mash it up, do u spin it like did when u played it first time. And how long do u wait before u play it a second time
DVDjHardy 8:51 PM - 5 April, 2008
In a club, no matter how hot the song is - just once. There are plenty of good songs. No reason to repeat a song that is on the radio 30 times a day.
djmoneyd425 9:33 PM - 5 April, 2008
+1^^^^^
frost-9 8:30 AM - 6 April, 2008
I'll drop different mixes of a track.. but my sets are 6 hours long.. If it's that much of a heater, it's usually worth it, but playing the same mix 3 times a night is a definite no no
dj luis 8:48 AM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:
In a club, no matter how hot the song is - just once. There are plenty of good songs. No reason to repeat a song that is on the radio 30 times a day.

+1
Kool DJ Sheak One 9:38 AM - 6 April, 2008
I've never played the same song twice, ever.
And if I were to play the same song again, it would not be in the same night.
If you quick mix all night, your only going to play around 300 songs. When you have a library of thousands of songs at your disposal, why would you play one twice?
The Scene Kings 12:59 PM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:
If you quick mix all night, your only going to play around 300 songs. When you have a library of thousands of songs at your disposal, why would you play one twice?

My Saturday spot has two crowds...one that pre-games for another club under the same ownership and a late night crowd that comes in after midnight so....yes I do play songs twiceon Saturdays.
DJNelson 1:31 PM - 6 April, 2008
it depends how long the shift is/how much the crowd has varied but as a rule no.
DJ Rugged One 3:33 PM - 6 April, 2008
I would never play a hot song twice....even if some one requested a hot song you played already should've been smacked !
sopranosupasta 3:52 PM - 6 April, 2008
the ONLY time i play anything twice is when there is a $100 bill involved.....
SloDeck 3:55 PM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:

+1

Quote:

+2
djnak 3:57 PM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:

Yessir +1
JimboJones 5:36 PM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:

Damn. You must delete everything off the hard drive right after you stop playing it then, huh?
Mr. $weetlife 6:24 PM - 6 April, 2008
Quote:

Way too much music, way too little time. Only played once a night. Nuff said!
The Real DJ Maestro 7:35 PM - 6 April, 2008
Ok, how long are your sets...... On saturday my sets start at 1130 and ends at 6 am. I may play a song twice depending how many request i get for the song. I got a long night under my belt, So i say fuck it i played it earlier
Beatmaster JT 7:41 PM - 6 April, 2008
I do a live radio mix...so the answer is YES.

I plan ahead and hit the song early during my radio mix, then in the last club hour when we are off the air, I will drop it again.

I usually only do this with one or two songs though.

Last night I did this with Mariah Carey - Touch My Body... gotta keep the ladies happy!!
dj_elite 7:47 PM - 6 April, 2008
never.

maybe if i did a real long set
DJ T. Diz 8:12 PM - 6 April, 2008
There's a time a place for it... (I heard somebody mention a crisp $100 bill, lol, or like JT's situation). But 99.9% of the time... no.
sixxx 8:52 PM - 6 April, 2008
Reasons to play a song more than once:

(In no particular order)

1. There's pussy involved.
2. There's money involved.
3. You lack creativity.
4. You lack music.
JimboJones 9:08 PM - 6 April, 2008
I'd say you got the order basically right... although I'd put 4 above 3. Although saying that, even if that's been the case in the past (like another DJ hasn't turned up and I've suddenly had to play for an extra two hours), I've played remixes.
This was in the days before Serato... when I had a limited amount of music to take with me.
SloDeck 12:45 AM - 7 April, 2008
I don't care about how long the set is, my sat night is 6-8 hours, Thong for a song or show me the williams will get me making an honest attempt to play it again before close. But no promises.

There is enough quality music released to not repeat tracks, even if you are playing quick cuts of 1.30 - 2.00, Trash ups are repeats, if the hook has been played, I won't play it again.
djgeeth 1:54 AM - 7 April, 2008
I've played cupid shuffle and copperhead road 2 times, but that almost never happens. I dont have nearly as much creative freedom as Id like where I work, if I drop something that is going to be a heater, and isnt on the radio yet, a good number of people will literally stop dancing and go sit down.

Sigh
djserts 2:01 AM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:

+1

but at my spot in hollywood. sometime the next dj that goes on after me... gets there late and plays maybe one of the same songs! but never 3 or more!
Niro 3:44 AM - 7 April, 2008
I play whole sets over again in the same night. I just go into the preview and go down the list, fuck it.

Da Cyclone "Eer reer reer reer"
Swizzle 5:38 AM - 7 April, 2008
In a typical 10pm - 2am shift of spinning, No.

But there are exceptions to the rule...rare...but exceptions. They have been stated already. I'll add:
-If a cool employee of the club/bar wanted to hear it because they missed it earlier.
DJ Prinvale` 5:50 AM - 7 April, 2008
I have before, and probably will in the future. get over it.
frost-9 8:08 AM - 7 April, 2008
I think I'd have to agree with those that have their hands tied. I can't got to work and play whatever I feel like playing, and it's not a lack of creativity that keeps me from doing so.. it's a lack of people who aren't sleeping their lives away in the matrix. If it's a really crap song, but one of those you have to play because you get 30 requests for it (a la Soulja Boy).. it gets ONE play, but if the track is hot, yeah... I'm not afraid to give it another play in a six hour set when I know it'll destroy the place... you have a lot of time to fill between 10pm and 4 am.. and very very insatiable crowds, with extremely short attention spans. If you're lucky enough to have crowds that follow you and don't expect to know all the lyrics of everything you play then more power to you, I'd rather spin for them myself, but most of us don't have that luxury.
Dj.Mojo 11:38 AM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
-If a cool employee of the club/bar wanted to hear it because they missed it earlier.

Employees, barkeeper and waitresses are in a club to work and not for enjoying music.
DJ Prinvale` 1:11 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Employees, barkeeper and waitresses are in a club to work and not for enjoying music.

ahahah wow.
javlingames 2:59 PM - 7 April, 2008
Only if it is a MASSIVE new tune and I like it And it gets requested again, i will play it no more than twice!
c-live 3:38 PM - 7 April, 2008
the only reason to repeat a song is if its new and you have reasons to break it, esp if the crowd requests it! You're not playing for yourself here, if people in the club request a lot, I will repeat a song!
c-live 3:39 PM - 7 April, 2008
I've hardly done it, but I keep my options open!
Static2.0 4:18 PM - 7 April, 2008
If I've got closing set and I know DJ before me played it earlier, I'll play it again because there's always new people in the crowd/club! If its really a heater, I'll throw in the remix later after I've thrown in the original
c-live 4:48 PM - 7 April, 2008
agreed!
Martin McFly 6:06 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:

(In no particular order)

3. You lack creativity.
4. You lack music.

^^ Exactly... I got a $100 bill Saturday night to play something again...

Hold up... Dudes are really spinning for 6-8 hours??? Fuck... What are you guys charging for those sets?
djransom 6:15 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Keep on with that thinking. Those employees can be the difference between you paying and tipping for drinks or just tipping for drinks.
Static2.0 6:21 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:

Hold up... Dudes are really spinning for 6-8 hours??? Fuck... What are you guys charging for those sets?

Yep! Every so often I'll be asked to do a 6hr House Set, and its $100 an hour, u do the math on what I get paid
Martin McFly 6:39 PM - 7 April, 2008
^^ Bet that... House is easy to play for 6 hours... So you play like, what, 80 songs?

:-) I'm fuckin with you... That's wassup... 8 hours is a little much though.
c-live 7:34 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

(In no particular order)

3. You lack creativity.
4. You lack music.

^^ Exactly... I got a $100 bill Saturday night to play something again...

Shit you dudes are brave, I only do a 2hour set, MAX!!get in get out with you amour still shinin!!! lol
c-live 7:58 PM - 7 April, 2008
Dude thats like the standard in South Africa, we're mostly single genre djs!
Logisticalstyles 8:24 PM - 7 April, 2008
I try not to repeat more than 3 songs a night.But, I work in a bar in a party district so my crowd flips every 2 hours or so. And I'm there from 9-6.
The Scene Kings 8:42 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

my biggest pet peeve is staff making requests
The Scene Kings 8:44 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Keep on with that thinking. Those employees can be the difference between you paying and tipping for drinks or just tipping for drinks.

that's a pretty short sighted reason to let bartenders decide on your playlist don't you think?
dj king g 9:52 PM - 7 April, 2008
Yeahh staff shouldnt really request songs but i know they wanna hear some songs but they should be working and making that money so really shouldnt be worried about the music. Yeah when money is involved i play twice no doubt. And sometimes i play the same song that i did the first hour but then again there was only like 15 people there within the first hour then at prime time there is hundereds so there fore nobody really heard that song but ture with girls, money, thats pretty much about it. But then again Bi*ches Aint Sh*t.....hahaha i was jammin some old school doggy dogg world so i had to say that. But thats my opinion.
Swizzle 9:55 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of comment is that....so you think their request to hear a song would be that far fetched out of your rotation that you wouldn't throw on a track for them?

So drunk broads who just walked into your spot demanding to hear "The Applebottom Song :-\" which you probably just played 10 minutes prior, gets more love than a person you work with every single week?

You'd be surprised how much of a positive influence of knowing your staffs' favorite songs can help out a night. You never know if it's a request from the Owner, the GM, the waitress who's banging the GM/Owner etc...

Maybe it's just that i worked security in the clubs many years before DJ'ing and realized the positive impact it had on the night.

By no means am i letting the staff dictate the night or my set...but knowing the staff's favorite songs is something All should know if you are paying attention to 'everyone' in the club or have a residency.
DJ T. Diz 10:03 PM - 7 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of comment is that....so you think their request to hear a song would be that far fetched out of your rotation that you wouldn't throw on a track for them?

So drunk broads who just walked into your spot demanding to hear "The Applebottom Song :-\" which you probably just played 10 minutes prior, gets more love than a person you work with every single week?

You'd be surprised how much of a positive influence of knowing your staffs' favorite songs can help out a night. You never know if it's a request from the Owner, the GM, the waitress who's banging the GM/Owner etc...

Maybe it's just that i worked security in the clubs many years before DJ'ing and realized the positive impact it had on the night.

By no means am i letting the staff dictate the night or my set...but knowing the staff's favorite songs is something All should know if you are paying attention to 'everyone' in the club or have a residency.

+1
I don't know if I'd go as far as to play a song twice because the staff requested it... but, keep in mind today's bouncer/bartender whatever could be GM/Owner at tomorrow's hottest new spot. Or banging them (as Swizzle pointed out). Always act accordingly.
Logisticalstyles 12:02 AM - 8 April, 2008
As tight as you may be with the owner/manager just remember the bartenders/bouncers are tighter, and thier opinions have more pull than yours. The owners/managers usually respect thier opinions and if they say you suck often enough you may be looking for a new gig.
dj_elite 12:20 AM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1
I don't know if I'd go as far as to play a song twice because the staff requested it... but, keep in mind today's bouncer/bartender whatever could be GM/Owner at tomorrow's hottest new spot. Or banging them (as Swizzle pointed out). Always act accordingly.

yep... im real tight with the staff at my regular spots and make an effort to play their requests, and quickly too. doing little things like that for staff makes for free drinks, repeat business, and the nightlife in my area is very tight... all the GMs/bartenders/etc all know each other and hang out with each other after hours or when one has a slow/off night so getting in good with one gets you in the good graces of a lot of people.
Swizzle 1:05 AM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:

yep... im real tight with the staff at my regular spots and make an effort to play their requests, and quickly too. doing little things like that for staff makes for free drinks, repeat business, and the nightlife in my area is very tight... all the GMs/bartenders/etc all know each other and hang out with each other after hours or when one has a slow/off night so getting in good with one gets you in the good graces of a lot of people.

+1

Pretty much...you are in the industry just like THEY are in the industry. And playing a song twice or even playing a song that they haven't heard in awhile and just feel like hearing has Never had a negative impact on what i'm trying to accomplish :-)
Taking a request from a Staff, they are usually within the Genre or Theme of your night because they listen to you every week.

And most likely from what i've experienced over the years, the staff will hear a song by their favorite artists and may be reminded of another song and want you to play that when you get a chance.

Example:
DJ: (Just played Salt-N-Pepa Push It)
Bartender: "I love Salt-N-Pepa, if you get a chance can you work in Shoop?"
DJ: "No problem!" (A few songs later i've worked back down to 97BPM and she hears her Shoop...and guess what, 83 other girls wanted to hear Shoop too)

Simple, Effective, and guess what, that's why they call you a DJ.
Kadilac 5:54 AM - 8 April, 2008
Songs I have to play more than once @ my residency
or.......I might get SHOT!

Lollipop-Lil Wayne
The Boss-Rick Ross
Falsetto-The Dream
Cupid Shuffle-Cupid

this is not a joke.
nickel 9:21 AM - 8 April, 2008
If your doing high profile clubs in Vegas, Miami, or Ny. Playing a song twice is no big shame, if your rockin from 10-4 Am or more there is only certain amount of bangers to keep peoples attention for that long of a time.

I remember being at Body English and they played "world hold on" like 3 times, and every time people were screaming it with hands up and all, same thing with "the way i are".

If your playing form 10-4 am, I think it becomes distasteful when you play a song twice within the the same 2 hours or something, you should have no excuse to not to be able to hold it down for 2 hours without have to play a song twice, that's "If' your playing form 10-4.

But if your rockin form 10-2 playing a song twice is just amature, like you guys were saying

Both in Vegas and Ny I've heard big name Dj's play songs twice but it was done between a long enough time frame that it wasn't that out of context...
c-live 9:53 AM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Pretty much...you are in the industry just like THEY are in the industry. And playing a song twice or even playing a song that they haven't heard in awhile and just feel like hearing has Never had a negative impact on what i'm trying to accomplish :-)
Taking a request from a Staff, they are usually within the Genre or Theme of your night because they listen to you every week.

And most likely from what i've experienced over the years, the staff will hear a song by their favorite artists and may be reminded of another song and want you to play that when you get a chance.

Example:
DJ: (Just played Salt-N-Pepa Push It)
Bartender: "I love Salt-N-Pepa, if you get a chance can you work in Shoop?"
DJ: "No problem!" (A few songs later i've worked back down to 97BPM and she hears her Shoop...and guess what, 83 other girls wanted to hear Shoop too)

Simple, Effective, and guess what, that's why they call you a DJ.

dude you sound like a Jukebox!
Swizzle 10:32 AM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:

becuz i'm playing a song that a staff wanted to hear?

Either you're a cat who doesn't take requests from customers or anyone...
Or you get thrown off by simple song requests and can't think ahead to mix them in, in an effective way?

Which is it?
DVDjHardy 12:50 PM - 8 April, 2008
You guys are losing focus here.

We're not talking about playing staff's requests. We're talking about whether or not to repeat a song. It shouldn't matter who is requesting it, its just not necessary. And it really just happens to the current top 2 or 3 songs of the month.

I agree with some of the exceptions - radio gigs/remote broadcast, tourist clubs where the crowd is in constant rotation, any private gig where the host is expecting you to play their requests, etc.
Logisticalstyles 1:47 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:

I agree with some of the exceptions - radio gigs/remote broadcast, tourist clubs where the crowd is in constant rotation, any private gig where the host is expecting you to play their requests, etc.

That pretty much describes most gigs outside of the bedroom.
c-live 1:49 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Or you get thrown off by simple song requests and can't think ahead to mix them in, in an effective way?

Which is it?

Not all dude, I dont get thrown off instead you start losing focus on your sets and THAT can throw a dj off! I've been spinnin for ever, and I've realised that once staff realize that you take requests, they then do it all the time and you then cannot refuse! You're there cos they've heard you play and trust your opinion, a request here and there does not hurt, if its from the audience... NEVER CLUB STAFF!! the music is not for them.

Ps.My bad if I insulted you!
DVDjHardy 1:54 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

That pretty much describes most gigs outside of the bedroom.

I would say most of my gigs don't fall under that. I do weekly residencies, some guest spots and some corporate/mobile stuff where I have the freedom to play what I want and not adhere to any one person's request to repeat a song.
DJ-A 2:15 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:

(In no particular order)

3. You lack creativity.
4. You lack music.

adding a hott chick with big boobs to any of the above will increase the chances...

however i had a friend who was having a going away party last week, i ended the night with The Outfield, Your Love. then played the Bmore version... bad combo, everyone loved it and because i was a little sad to see my HOTT friend moving to New York, Security locked the front door so no one could come back in and i did another hour and a half. It was nice, a bunch of Hott chicks and the only dudes i remember were security
DJM_ 3:18 PM - 8 April, 2008
never
Sounds 4:09 PM - 8 April, 2008
All my vinyl is pritty old now, well for club tunes,
But there's a few thing about a classic tune, it will never get played out
Will allways sound fresh and people will allways want a copy of it,
Plus i get soo much fun from mixing, i have some mixes i just remember
they sounded great together, but most of the time it's allways gonna be
something new when you're mixing vinyl, so you never really do the same
mix twice.

Hello!
:)
dj luis 5:40 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:

(In no particular order)

3. You lack creativity.
4. You lack music.

+1

i never accepted money (not saying i never will - but until now i didn't)

"never take a gig you can't do" - isn't what you cats always saying ? so stop fkn about saying that in a gig with more than 3h you have to spin the same tune - if it's an all r&b night/hiphop/rap night, don't tell that since 19-fucking-a-lot there isn't enough tunes to fill the 6h
The Scene Kings 7:37 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is it?

Not all dude, I dont get thrown off instead you start losing focus on your sets and THAT can throw a dj off! I've been spinnin for ever, and I've realised that once staff realize that you take requests, they then do it all the time and you then cannot refuse! You're there cos they've heard you play and trust your opinion, a request here and there does not hurt, if its from the audience... NEVER CLUB STAFF!! the music is not for them.

Ps.My bad if I insulted you!

+1

Good bartenders are a dime a dozen in our area but not GOOD Djs. I get bookings because owners trust me in the booth to read and rock crowds. They could give a rat's ass what the staff thinks
cappinkirk 8:51 PM - 8 April, 2008
i played lollipop twice in a row 2 weeks ago and the place was packed out the door...they even asked me to play it again haha!

also last week when i played it they thought i was gonna play it again and everyone was telling me to but i didn't.

sometimes it's cool but i wouldn't get in the habit of doing it all the time.
cappinkirk 8:52 PM - 8 April, 2008
...there's a big sign up behind me that says "NO REQUESTS" too...and the managers all got my back (not that I need it)
frost-9 9:13 PM - 8 April, 2008
man, that lollipop song is just plain terrible. I give it a two week shelf life where the artards that like music 'just because it's new' will be requesting it. Kind of like Ray J's song.
Mr. $weetlife 11:53 PM - 8 April, 2008
Quote:
2 hour set MAX are you serious? I hope not.

2 hours??? I'm just getting warmed up!
LoKey 1:54 AM - 9 April, 2008
This has always been rule numero uno...

-before I learned to scratch properly
-before I could even mix or beatmach on point
-before I had enough records to fill one crate

...Never play the same song twice.
c-live 12:37 PM - 9 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
2 hour set MAX are you serious? I hope not.

2 hours??? I'm just getting warmed up!

What genre do you spin? I do RnB, hip hop, dancehall.
cappinkirk 2:14 PM - 9 April, 2008
In a whole night you never play the same song twice? Is the assumption that all the people stay there the entire time (and that they were all there when you started)? If so that argument makes sense.

However I doubt that is likely to be the case for most DJ's unless they DJ shorter sets. I DJ from 10pm-3am so people come and go over the night.

That being said, three are plenty of great songs to play and you shouldn't have to play a song more than 1x but there are rare exceptions.

Your average listener doesn't care anyway.
sweetL 5:26 PM - 9 April, 2008
Quote:
8 hours is a little much though.

tell me about it.

at edition 38 over the weekend i do the following.

2pm-5pm fri.
1-3 hours between 7pm-12pm
8am-1pm, then 2pm-5pm sat daytime
1-2 hours between 7pm-12pm sat
8am-1pm, 2pm-finish sun daytime

by the monday im knackered.

the ONLY song i played more than once over the weekend was axwell, thats because it was a huge house tune right at that moment.
c-live 7:00 PM - 9 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
8 hours is a little much though.

tell me about it.

at edition 38 over the weekend i do the following.

2pm-5pm fri.
1-3 hours between 7pm-12pm
8am-1pm, then 2pm-5pm sat daytime
1-2 hours between 7pm-12pm sat
8am-1pm, 2pm-finish sun daytime

by the monday im knackered.

the ONLY song i played more than once over the weekend was axwell, thats because it was a huge house tune right at that moment.

I need to get my visa right and come over to watch you dudes spin for that long, damn!! 6hours??
cappinkirk 7:27 PM - 9 April, 2008
u got that elevator remix? nobody gets down to elevator when i play the original one (in DC) but the remix is working (with Brisco)
DJ-A 7:55 PM - 9 April, 2008
Quote:
I only play a song twice if some chick at the begining begs me to play a heater like Elevator. I try to tell them to drink more and you'll enjoy it later when you're drunk. But after like 3-4 times of asking can you play Please Dont Stop The Music?? I just drop it to keep them happy and around 1230-1 during peak I drop it again. But there are way more people inside during peak so they didn't know I already played it. What I try to do is drop a remix or mashup of the song at the start of the night and the original during peak or vice versa. So I'm not technically playing the same song twice.

BUT I do not play a song twice to keep people dancing. If you have to resort to playing Elevator at 11 and 1230 then you're just wack. The worst I've ever heard was when this DJ played My Humps six times! This was like 2-3 years ago when it was hot. But shit was just ridiculous.

great examples.. +1 i concure
JimboJones 10:59 PM - 9 April, 2008
Six hours? That's my normal shift as a DJ. 8pm-2am. Piece of piss.
IsaacJordan 11:41 PM - 9 April, 2008
Quote:

+1

the only time I do play it again is if somebody's handing me a 50 or 100 dollar bill
sweetL 7:52 AM - 10 April, 2008
Quote:
I need to get my visa right and come over to watch you dudes spin for that long, damn!! 6hours??

well if all goes to plan...

there should be webcams there this year!
KDM 7000 10:19 AM - 10 April, 2008
If I'm broadcasting live on a top 40 radio station from a club, or just doing a radio show, then yes, especially in the west coast.

Actually, not just the west coast anymore. I think all the stations are being controlled now. They all play the same stuff over and over now, due to strict rules. I was surprised how much things have really changed. Less room for the variety we once had on radio now...
KDM 7000 10:25 AM - 10 April, 2008
I heard "love in this club" within the same 30 minute set twice during the same mixshow! One was the original, then there was the Mike D Bass Mix.
The Real DJ Maestro 1:21 PM - 10 April, 2008
on my 2nd and 4th Fridays, I go from 12-430am and on saturday if i bring in an opening DJ he'll spin from 1130-130 and i'll spin from 130am til 6am, no opening DJ kid, i spin 1130 til 530am, yeah mad long hours kid
Dj Nyce 2:39 AM - 15 April, 2008
i think it depends on the market. of course everybody knows that on the east coast this is doable and actually encouraged. if the song is fire, then the crowd will love it.

i'm not saying to do it all the time, but it's possible depending on your location.
dj buterd hams 11:52 PM - 13 May, 2008
do you guys plan a set before a club gig . say your working a 3 hr gig. ? if so then what if the djay before you drops a song or more of the tracks you had in your planned set ? i know its like "pick another heater" but say dam you had a sick set with word play etc... do you still go on with your planned or nah. also say the djay before you drop the tracks in the begining of his set or at the end . both?
The Real DJ Maestro 2:14 AM - 14 May, 2008
No Planning just wing it, watch the crowd and read them like a book
ND.M 6:08 AM - 16 May, 2008
I use to play for different crowds (pure house clubs vs mixed music)...and if people really keep requesting that ONE song again and again, I might play it a few hours after I dropped it the first time...but (this goes especially for nights with mixed music) it really isn't much of a problem to play an 8h set without repeating a song. Of course, to me it's more fun with an open-minded audience so I can break new music and play less-known tunes. There's an Electro-House tune everyone around here seems to love, called "3 Tage Wach" ("3 Days Awake") which basically is all about taking drugs an partying all night long (with an ironic undertone) that might get played by me more than once, but I wouldn't dare doing that in a real house club.
I recently heard a DJ in a more rural area play "Let Me Think About it" (Ida Corr Vs. Fedde Le Grand) and "C'est La Vie" (Martin Solveig), two major commercial heaters in Germany at the moment, THREE times each...and I was like wtf is he doing, but no one seemed to care. Sad.
dj buterd hams 9:10 PM - 16 May, 2008
Quote:
do you guys plan a set before a club gig . say your working a 3 hr gig. ? if so then what if the djay before you drops a song or more of the tracks you had in your planned set ? i know its like "pick another heater" but say dam you had a sick set with word play etc... do you still go on with your planned or nah. also say the djay before you drop the tracks in the begining of his set or at the end . both?

also what about this. say your dropping party break every once in a while and within that party break there an inst. of a track. right and everyone heared it. but would anyone play that track late? like if i played a party break with 50 cent "in da club" then a hr later play the og track "in da club". to me i dont really like to do that . ill drop it right when that break is over so it continues