Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

external hard drive that can transfer MP4's fast enough

Andy Cule 7:58 PM - 29 September, 2012
Does any one know of and external hard drive that can transfer mp4's data fast enough so you don't get any drop out of signal.

I first got the issue on an 500gig external usb 2.0 hard drive. I solved this by going onto a firewire 800 hard drive. This worked 99% of the time with no problems. I moved onto my internal 1TB hard drive on my MacBook pro and everything has (touch wood) been perfect for over 12 months. My mp4 collection is now over 500 gig and its slowing my mac down. what can I use to go external gain though??
popnwave 8:26 PM - 29 September, 2012
I don't have any issues with my 1TB which is up to 800GB of videos now slowing down.
Deejay Steve 9:17 AM - 3 October, 2012
I use an iOmega eGo Blackbelt 1TB external hard drives Firewire 800 with no issues at all
Andy Cule 12:39 AM - 4 October, 2012
Thank you Steve I am going to look at a few more. Like I said I only had 1 or 2 issues with my Firewire 800

I might look into getting a thunderbolt external drive
Deejay Steve 1:57 PM - 4 October, 2012
Just for your info m8, I'm in the middle of testing 2.4.3 on a spare hard drive and been having a few problems scanning my database. My question to you is, could your problems be due to the software version you are using? Also the only other time I've had a problem with firewire 800 was resolved by just changing the firewire 800 cable which is worth a try & way cheaper than a Thunderbolt drive. Firewire 800 is more than fast enough to play videos I'm lead to believe including the latest 720p HD videos which I have been using for a while now
Andy Cule 7:04 PM - 4 October, 2012
I am using 2.4.3 with the 1.1 Serato Video. I will try a new cable. I think I will keep using them on my internal hard drive at the moment.

Where do you get the 720 hd videos. I am using videos from VJ Pro (Smash Vids) videos.
Deejay Steve 2:52 AM - 5 October, 2012
Promo Only UK do 720p HD videos since I believe February this year. So bright and sharp but best pushed on an i7 type laptop although my 13'' macbook does handle them too. Good luck with the cable, hope it works for you
Andy Cule 1:54 PM - 5 October, 2012
Fair enough, I don't use promo only because most of the videos are cut and don't do have extended versions.
Deejay Steve 3:55 PM - 6 October, 2012
Promo Only are also doing DJ friendly Intro edits which have a beat intro & outro so maybe you should check them out again m8
10:26 PM, 7 Oct 2012
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL General Discussion
Nathan Looney 2:39 AM - 10 October, 2012
OWC Mercury Elite drive works great, I store 90% of my videos on that drive and I use the FireWire 800 connection. Works flawlessly, though please note Serato 2.4.3 is not 100% stable and has been known to crash. They are aware of this and working on a fix.
Deejay Steve 5:16 PM - 10 October, 2012
Thanks for that Nathan, I've been told to go back to 2.4.2 but I know there are tag writing issues with that version
Dj Nyce 1:13 AM - 13 October, 2012
my oyen digital with two 1tb samsung spinpoint m8's is mad fast.

www.oyendigital.com

if you wish i can run aja speed test and let you know what my numbers are.