Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Feature Request: Templates and/or Variables for text

pueblofunky 1:33 PM - 28 September, 2012
As requested in

serato.com

it would be great to prepare templates and / or variables for text.

I only play 70's & 80's. There are not much videos. Manually preparing the text which track is playing (artist - title - mix) is the worst way for 15.000 classic tracks. ;-)

It would also be great for new tracks where no video exists.

I think it couldn't be so much work to replace a text (variables) like "&artist&", "&title&", etc (all possible columns) by the real values.

By using "&" as separator is an example of how to write a variable.

Thanks a lot
phatbob 1:56 PM - 28 September, 2012
I'm not sure I can think of anything worse than just having the track info displayed on screens.

Artwork... Might be ok.

If you play such a large proportion of tracks which don't have videos, then you should be playing suitable visual loops, or cut together generic video footage from the decade; movies, newsreels, tv programmes.

Also curious as to which tracks from the 80s (the decade of MTV) you can't find videos for. 80s pop is one of the easiest genres to get videos for in my experience.
DJ DisGrace 7:07 PM - 28 September, 2012
Quote:
Also curious as to which tracks from the 80s (the decade of MTV) you can't find videos for. 80s pop is one of the easiest genres to get videos for in my experience.

+1
I have more 80s videos than I could ever play... it was the prime of MTV after all
Quote:
I'm not sure I can think of anything worse than just having the track info displayed on screens.

+10000
popnwave 8:24 PM - 28 September, 2012
There are lots of alternative dance songs that were HUGE in the clubs (and still are) that never had videos OR there is only a TOTP/American Bandstand performance of it.

Book Of Love "Boy"
Depeche Mode "New Life"
DJ DisGrace 3:32 AM - 29 September, 2012
Quote:
There are lots of alternative dance songs that were HUGE in the clubs (and still are) that never had videos OR there is only a TOTP/American Bandstand performance of it.

Book Of Love "Boy"
Depeche Mode "New Life"

Fair enough. But I'd rather loop footage from a movie like "24 hour party people" or the countless other classic 80's movies than display the artist/title/label info on the screen
pueblofunky 8:36 PM - 2 October, 2012
@phatmob: I don't know what your reply to display an artwork or visual loops has something to do with my decision to display the artist, title, mix of the current track?

I'm djing for 30 years and a lot of young (and old!) people don't know the tracks and I make the experience every week.

And believe me - a young model came to me 2 years ago and asked who is singing that song - I played "I will survive" - Gloria Gaynor).

Of course - when I have time beside my main job I will try to get "official" videos (not recorded from MTV, etc.) and try to play them - to show something different. But the club has to clarify the right problems and has to pay a lot of more money when we play videos. And most of the time I play my recorded 12" which sound so much better instead of remastered tracks or videos.

So there are a lot of reasons why this should be supported. Nobody would lose something. And it really isn't much work. The part of the output has to be scanned for a variable and replaced by the real text.