Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

2.4.3 update to Scratch Live requires minimum resolution of 1280x720

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
AlexC 1:21 PM - 25 September, 2012
Dear Support

Just updated to SL 2.4.3 only to find Scratch Live will no longer run on my 4:3 laptop 1024x768 and now requires minimum 16:9 resolution of 1280x720!

No mention of this in the release notes :-(

All I wanted was my MIDI mapping issues with DN-HC1000s to be resolved by update to 2.4.3 :-(

Happily using SL on this laptop for years - yes even at 1024x768 resolution :-)

Why the change now?

Plse cat Serato re-enable the use of 1024x768 on SL?

Thank you!
Alex.
Dj mar aka bigmar 11:38 PM - 26 September, 2012
I have scrathlive also had no trouble till now ....Help
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:09 PM - 27 September, 2012
I did report this to Serato yesterday in our meeting. This could be due to changes made for the Video program. They will be getting back to us after they find an answer. You can try this as a work around for now -

Go into Control Panel > Display > Settings tab > Advanced, then in the Advanced submenu look on all the tabs (mine is under Monitor) for a box that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". It should be checked. Uncheck it. Now you will be able to increase the resolution past 1024x600. However, some of the screen will be "chopped off" and you have to mouse your mouse in that direction and the screen will follow. Now you'll be able to use start and use Scratch LIVE, but as I said, some (but not much) of the screen will be cut off.
Dj Krissmonee 9:25 PM - 30 September, 2012
I am experiencing the same problem!! I upgraded to Scratch Live 2.4.3 and the resolution message came up and I am unable to access Scratch Live!! I would really appreciate if rane could modify the software so it can be use with 4:3 display laptops!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:47 PM - 1 October, 2012
Rane does not make the software, Serato (which is it's own company) makes the software. I have notified them about the many complaints regarding this issue. They are looking into it and seeing if there will be a change back in future versions.

Did you try the suggestion I posted above?
pueblofunky 9:20 PM - 9 October, 2012
I've also noticed that today. Also the Windows 7 :-(

It would be also great if Serato would also work with 1024x600 so I could sort out my tracks on my Netbook which I have in the company to check my private emails etc. (I'm working in a bank and no installation of other software on company PC is possible & allowed).

Note: In the office I would only need the stand-alone-player version!

Serato could start with the stand-alone-player version only on smaller resolutions and not allow any change to the "hardware" version.

This could be a small program change.

It's always nice to use a netbook during the holiday ... and prefer Serato stand-alone-player.

So please - make the small program change!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:45 PM - 9 October, 2012
The advice I received today from Serato was to not use my workaround and to revert to the 2.4.2 version.
pueblofunky 12:19 PM - 10 October, 2012
I've always used your advice

"It should be checked. Uncheck it. Now you will be able to increase the resolution past 1024x600."

and it works on my netbook - until 2.4.2. (set to 1024x800),

but there is no option to use 1280 - max is 115x or so.

It would be also great to expand my feature request (see comment above) and Video resolution should be only checked for the minimum requirements (1280) when you want to turn on Serato Video.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:41 PM - 10 October, 2012
It's a recommendation that I have been giving for a few years and typically works. A person who I would consider much more savvy with computers than myself over at Serato said that this can cause damage in odd situations. I'd rather be on the safe side.
AlexC 11:39 AM - 20 October, 2012
Thx for your reply Chad S.

Unfortuantely reverting to 2.4.2 is not an option.

As I wrote in my original request, the reason for updating was to see if MIDI mapping issues present since 2.3 had finally been resolved. (See discussion on the DN-HC1000S issue here: h**p://serato.com/forum/discussion/604273#new)

Ever since 2.3 the layer 2, 3, 4 MIDI mapping of DN-HC1000S has been broken - it's such a trivial issue, why is it taking Serato so long to resolve??
Prior to 2.3 it was possible to map the same control ID (button on HC1000s) on different MIDI channels to same or different functions in SL e.g.

1) on Channel 1 when press button Cue 1[A], SL should jump to the first cue point.
2) on Channel 2 when press button Cue 1[A], SL should assign Effect Unit 1 to Deck 1
3) on Channel 3 when press button Cue 1[A], SL should assign Effect Unit 1 to Deck 1
4) on Channel 4 when press button Cue 1[A], SL should assign Effect Unit 1 to Deck 1
etc
etc

In releases 2.3-2.3.3 one DN1000S button can only have one function on one of the extended channels (2, 3, 4) i.e. continuing the example above, I can have 2 or 3 or 4 but not all of them. Without getting too much into the details, it's a basic MIDI mapping issue with SL.

Please don't tell me to go back to 2.2 - stability was appauling.

<sigh>

I've been using ScratchLive for many years (1.3 I think was the first release I used), started out with SL1, then moved to SL3 then added DN-HC1000s.

The reason I chose SL1 in the first place was everybody said how reliable the product was - and it _was_ a high-quality professional performance product right up until v2.0 when it appears that Rane/Serato have changed their product development strategy from building reliable, quality performance products to adding features, features, features.
I realise you have competitors, but professionals value quality & reliability over features, features, features.

To date I've invested well over £1000 in Rane/Serato & related products - and quite frankly I have a 'professional' set-up that since 2.0 has offered the performance and reliability of £100 USB/Traktor controller set-up.

With the screen resolution bug in 2.4 (and it is a bug, otherwise it would have been listed in the release notes) I'm effectivley being told that I need to spend another £500+ to get a new laptop to run SL?!?

I'm sitting here thinking I'd be better off investing £100 in USB/Traktor, ebay my SL1 & SL3 and enjoy myself with the £800 net saving. Or maybe it's time to look at A&H Xone - they still appear to understand professionals value quality & reliability over feature vanity.

Yes I feel like I'm being shafted by Rane/Serato.

Sorry to be so -ve about this issue - it's just after years as a loyal customer, who (used to) evangelise your products with every DJ I know, I'm now fed-up waiting....come on Serato get your act together and get back to your original mission of building reliable quality software that professionals can depend on.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:34 PM - 23 October, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to effectively and constructively express your misgivings and impression that you are getting from this product. It pains me to feel that anyone thinks they are getting the shaft. Thanks to your above thoughts, I can understand the feeling and please let me elaborate.

Scratch Live is a product of two companies. Serato, who writes software and is based in New Zealand. There is also Rane who makes the hardware and are based in USA. It has been a wonderful relationship and we couldn't have done it without each other. There are however some things that neither partner can control.

When it comes to software changes, improvements, native support, 3rd party controllers (like your denon) Serato is the company driving that boat. They have an excellent track record of making phenominal software. There have been some areas recently with native devices (plug n play) where there can be a large improvement. We wish this would have happened yesterday, yet Rane has no control over this.

Some issues like yours are long standing and well documented. I wish I knew software because you would think it's any easy fix with all of the known info. I can assure you however, that it is not an easy fix. We feel confident that if it were in the ability of Serato to quickly fix this that they would. They however have not fixed it and the problem lingers. This is the position we are in and I apologize that a device you were told was plug n play is not truly plug n play.

We all hope to see this improve in the future and I again thank you for your feedback and I'm open to any other questions you may have.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:35 PM - 23 October, 2012
P.S. you can use your Rane hardware as a soundcard for traktor if you wanted to experiment some.
ticklz 11:44 PM - 29 October, 2012
Urghhhh!!! I have the same problem too!!! :(
Unable to check/uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cant display" (its greyed out)
I dont want to revert to 2.4.2 as i try to keep my mac and pc exact copies so that my backup of my mac can easily be copied onto the pc ...

Please hurry (or i'll have to revert both to 2.4.2 which would be a shame cos of FLAC ...)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:05 PM - 30 October, 2012
Ticklz, please start a new thread for your issue. We can give you some individual assistance.
Couin 2:08 AM - 10 November, 2012
Hi,

I add myself to the discussion.

I find this is a veritable wrong way to force users to buy a new laptop to be able to update the software (and potentially fix some bugs).
With this new min res, 3 of my 4 laptops are no longer available for Scratch Live. It means that on this 3 computers, bugs will never be fixed :/
Plus, forcing to buy a new laptop to allow 2.43, is a major problem for SL1 and TTM57SL users : New laptops are sold only with Core i3/5/7 that is not 100% compatible with theese two hardwares. So , much buy a new SL Box / Mixer ?
I think that people who spent 1400$ into a 57 one or two years ago, will not appreciate at all if they can no longer update the software. Especially if this new res is needed for video and if theese peoples doesn't use video at all.

I hope Serato will revert back to 1024 in a next future.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:51 PM - 12 November, 2012
We are hoping Serato is able to revert the software back to the previous screen resolution as well. They have informed us that they are looking into it.
6:00 PM, 26 Nov 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.