Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Please Serato employes...

Ophkey 8:04 PM - 4 September, 2012
Hello one and all, I am a owner of the wonderful Reloop Terminal Mix 2. Therefor I am also a user of DJ Intro which I do enjoy but I'm not over joyed with. I understand its for new djs, i also understand each controller has its very own licence to either itch or dj intro. My issue is there isn't the option to upgrade to itch or more complicated version of dj intro. To be honest I would like day/ night mode, a recording option and atleast a few more fx. Please Serato folk, i would be willing to pay for the up grade!!!
pdidy 11:43 AM - 5 September, 2012
I guy walks into McDonald's and says to the cashier, I would like to order filet Mignon, lobster tails and your best bottle of Moet please. The cashier says, Sir this is McDonald's..... not some high end restaurant and none of that stuff is on our menu but there is a 5 star restaurant around the corner. The guy reply's, I'm well aware of whats on your menu and the 5 star restaurant around the corner....... but I want filet Mignon, lobster tails and your best bottle of Moet.......I would be willing to pay for it....:)
Ophkey 12:00 PM - 5 September, 2012
Mr Pdidy the vci 400 is a dj intro controller, that's like taking silver ware to eat in McDonalds, yet the vci-300 is a itch controller which is like eating in a 5 star restaurant with plastic cutlery and paper plates. The Twitch is a itch controller yet the soundcard on nearly all the dj intro controllers are better. I see your argument, but still Traktor LE offer an up grade and so does Virtual DJ LE. Serato could make alot of money if they offered a itch licence for a price and i certainly would be willing to purchase one and so would plently of other dj intro users.
phatbob 3:05 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
The Twitch is a itch controller yet the soundcard on nearly all the dj intro controllers are better.

Nonsense.

As for the rest of your points, all the information about the capabilities of Intro was widely available, yet you still bought an Intro controller. Why should Serato change their entire business model and charge for upgrades just because you bought a controller which is not suitable for your needs?
Ophkey 3:31 PM - 5 September, 2012
Not nonsense everyone that ever used a twitch knows the output is quieter then on other controllers. I brought my TM2 because it is a brilliant controller and i stupidly thought there would be an option to upgrade like with Traktor LE and VDJ LE. The thing is Serato are limiting themselves, you can map most controllers toTraktor and Vdj but you can not with Serato. so for the people out there that aren't willing to pay over 400 quid to use dj intro end up moving to either of Serato's competitors. That sounds like bad busy to me! Serato is a wonderful bit of software and should be easily asses-able to the masses not just a limited few who have 500 notes to buy a Itch controller.
pdidy 6:12 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Serato is a wonderful bit of software and should be easily asses-able to the masses not just a limited few who have 500 notes to buy a Itch controller.

The ferrari is a wonderful car and should be easily affordable to the masses not just a limited few who have 100,000 notes to buy a car.
Ophkey 6:52 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
The ferrari is a wonderful car and should be easily affordable to the masses not just a limited few who have 100,000 notes to buy a car.

yeah but Mercedes and BMW dont give out limited versions of there cars which are availble for a buyable upgrade! Traktor and VDJ do!!!
phatbob 7:25 PM - 5 September, 2012
Metaphors are wholly redundant here.

You knew how Serato's upgrade path worked before you bought. And still you bought Intro. Your choice. End of.
Ophkey 8:05 PM - 5 September, 2012
end of?! No I wasnt aware of seratos upgrade path or lack of and if I was I would of saved up another 300 and I would of bought the vci-380. But hey ho hymnsite is a mofo. I dont understand why people like you are so abrasive, I'm only making my opinions known.
pdidy 6:47 AM - 6 September, 2012
Naa hes just keepin it real with you without all the long discussion an straight to the point. In time u will see hes very knowledgeable an helpful on this forum.....but take my advise an sell the intro an buy itch.
Shantisan 9:20 AM - 8 September, 2012
I am so TIRED of all you phatbobs and pdidys! Are you guys all working for Serato? Nobody has ever asked you to give unqualified comments to any of the requests!
Why can't you please stay away from the forum- NOBODY wants you! NOBODY has ever asked you anything! Don't you have other hobbies?
People in the forum are waiting for Serato to comment on their products...
So, all you Serato people- can't you ever give a clear statement about intro- like: NO, we will never do any updated that brin useful changes and improve the software, NO, you can never update to Itch, also if you are willing to pay 1000.-$, NO, the the lights on the DDJ Ergo will not work in the next update, No, there won't be any update before Christmas,....
Please, Serato people, try to give clearer answers, and PLEASE all you phatbobs and pdidys- meet your friends, do some sports, improve your djing skills and stop posting!
Shantisan 9:22 AM - 8 September, 2012
Quote:
Metaphors are wholly redundant here.

You knew how Serato's upgrade path worked before you bought. And still you bought Intro. Your choice. End of.

That's exactly what I was talking about....
phatbob 10:33 PM - 8 September, 2012
LOL
pdidy 11:00 AM - 9 September, 2012
Quote:
LOL

I agree he is quite funny.
haze324 5:21 PM - 10 September, 2012
I think the recommendation/request is quite valid. Regardless of what the current status of Intro is. By your arguments whatever is not currently offered in any Serato product should be answered with "this product does not offer that, you should read the lable next time".

I'll give you example why Serato should strongly consider an upgrade path. I've used/owened several Serato products (SL2,SL3, NS7, VCI-300, DDJ-S1). Recently my latest kit was a DDJ-S1 and 1200's with a DJM-800. I figured the DDJ would be for mobile gigs, ends up the only mobile gigs I enjoyed doing were small pool parties, BBQ's, etc. I hated doing a wedding or corporate events, much prefer doing club gigs. So I bought a used Mixtrack Pro (purchased used, serato received no revenue). After using it a few more times I missed having a VCI and using all of Itch's functionalities. So I sold the Mixtrack, sold the DDJ-S1 and bought a used VCI-300 MK2. Again I "upgraded" and Serato received ZERO revenue from my upgrade.

If Serato offered an upgrade path from Intro to Itch, I would've stayed with the Mixtrack and simply paid Serato for the upgrade.

I think there are some request (more effects, video, midi-mapping, etc) that are completely too far fetched for an "Intro" product --- but as a business model I think Serato would greatly benefit from offering an upgrade path similar to other related software (Ableton, Traktor, VDJ, etc.).
Mimizuku no Lew 3:23 PM - 14 September, 2012
Quote:
So, all you Serato people- can't you ever give a clear statement about intro- like: NO, we will never do any updated that brin useful changes and improve the software, NO, you can never update to Itch, also if you are willing to pay 1000.-$, NO, the the lights on the DDJ Ergo will not work in the next update, No, there won't be any update before Christmas,....

They have. Plenty of times. Try searching before posting.
DjCity 8:30 PM - 16 September, 2012
I "THINK" Serato has hinted to a upgrade solution so just hold tight.

I believe something is on the way for reloop and other hardware to be able to use itch.
pdidy 7:04 AM - 17 September, 2012
Quote:
I "THINK" Serato has hinted to a upgrade solution so just hold tight.

I believe something is on the way for reloop and other hardware to be able to use itch.

hint ? what hint ? Anybody got a link to any hints ?
DjCity 3:09 PM - 17 September, 2012
look in the intro forum.

A thread about someone that has a mix 4 was thinking about chucking it but a serato teamer said he should keep it.

Said something is coming but he could say no more.

I will look for the thread.
DjCity 3:47 PM - 17 September, 2012
pidy,

1st and last time I prove something to you.

serato.com
haze324 4:17 PM - 17 September, 2012
^ lol!!

That's great to see --- but it could mean lots of things, perhaps more features or 4 deck support (not sure if his controller has that for intro).

Hopefully it means something interesting.

Thanks for posting that.
DjCity 4:23 PM - 17 September, 2012
Tru Dat...

Whatever it it, it HAS to be better than what's available now.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with intro now. It reminds me of early ssl with some efx thrown in.

Itch kills it though, so if there is a upgrade path or a update for more functionality within intro itself, either would be better than what's available right now.
haze324 4:30 PM - 17 September, 2012
I agree. If the mixtrack had autoloopw with intro I would've kept it. Intro is fine as it is, as it's intended NOT to have all the bells and whistles.

I'm more excited about Serato's thoughts on exanding their current business model than I am few extra features for an intro product.
djsmuve415 6:33 PM - 17 September, 2012
Quote:
I agree. If the mixtrack had auto loop with intro I would've kept it..

^this... I admit I bought a Mixtrack Pro just so I could do a couple of private parties I had comin up, and could not justify spending all that money on a controller with Itch just for the 2 parties in the year. Before I get jumped on by the 2 homies in here - I DID know what Intro could & could NOT do when I bought it, but tried to make it work for me regardless just to get through them. long story short - I rely on auto loop quite heavily in SSL for hip hop & r&b in my regular club gigs, & Intro not having it did end up sucking for me - oh well.
I do agree with a lot of people in here that Serato should wisely make an upgrade version, I think it would be profitable - & according to all the requests that keep coming in this forum, would fill in the gap for something that sits just above Intro - behind Itch, & of course SSL. just my take.
pdidy 10:57 PM - 17 September, 2012
Quote:
Before I get jumped on by the 2 homies in here -

Quote:
pidy,

1st and last time I prove something to you.

serato.com

" Dave W 11:29 PM - 6 September, 2012
Hey Start From Scratch,

Stick with it, something is on it's way. Can't say any more than that.

Regards
Dave W
Quote· Report· Permalink"

Quote:
^ lol!!

That's great to see --- but it could mean lots of things,

Thanks DjCity, yes that would qualify as a hint to something but as previously stated "but it could mean lots of things" or anything......

While im 100% for anything serato gives its users.......Users SHOULD NOT run with this info as PROOF their requests will be answered. This is how rumors get started and users make bad product choices.......Then blame it on serato !
pdidy 10:59 PM - 17 September, 2012
Quote:
I admit I bought a Mixtrack Pro just so I could do a couple of private parties I had comin up, and could not justify spending all that money on a controller with Itch just for the 2 parties in the year. Before I get jumped on by the 2 homies in here -

Wonder who hes talkin bout...lol
djsmuve415 11:51 PM - 17 September, 2012
Quote:

LOL... hey believe it or not, I'm mostly on ur guys side - I do think a lot of these dudes do come on here whining WAAAAY after the fact, & DON'T do their homework before purchasing something..
But - some of them have valid points, they just go about it the wrong way in my book.
pdidy 12:28 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

LOL... hey believe it or not, I'm mostly on ur guys side - I do think a lot of these dudes do come on here whining WAAAAY after the fact, & DON'T do their homework before purchasing something..
But - some of them have valid points, they just go about it the wrong way in my book.

I actually have no issue with users like yourself because you took the initiative to do your homework prior to buying the product. So, no i would not have "jumped on you"....lol. . I am much more critical of users who fail to do the proper research and then complain after the fact. I am also critical of uses who rely on rumor and misinformation rather than researching facts that are readily available here on the forum.
djsmuve415 1:51 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually have no issue with users like yourself because you took the initiative to do your homework prior to buying the product. So, no i would not have "jumped on you"....lol. . I am much more critical of users who fail to do the proper research and then complain after the fact. I am also critical of uses who rely on rumor and misinformation rather than researching facts that are readily available here on the forum.

my thoughts exactly
DjCity 2:05 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
Tru Dat...

Whatever it it, it HAS to be better than what's available now.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with intro now. It reminds me of early ssl with some efx thrown in.

Itch kills it though, so if there is a upgrade path or a update for more functionality within intro itself, either would be better than what's available right now.

I said this so people would not jump the gun and think their wishes will come true.

Something is coming. Based on the post, it sounds like either an upgrade path or 4 deck functionality.

Either way its gotta be better than what intro is now.
pdidy 3:42 AM - 18 September, 2012
Quote:
Something is coming. Based on the post, it sounds like either an upgrade path or 4 deck functionality.

Well I think we can eliminate 4 deck functionality because that would contradict the whole plan for intro being designed for beginners.......beginners DONT need 4 decks.

upgrade path, I don't see this ever happening any time soon but if users want it, I'm with it. So I guess we can only hope im wrong.
Ophkey 2:23 PM - 18 September, 2012
so I've finally sold my tm2 and now will purchase a itch controller...The End
DjCity 3:45 PM - 18 September, 2012
Hope you go for the NS6.

Good luck to you.
DJNitro12 10:53 PM - 24 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Serato is a wonderful bit of software and should be easily asses-able to the masses not just a limited few who have 500 notes to buy a Itch controller.

lol
nik39 10:08 PM - 25 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
The Twitch is a itch controller yet the soundcard on nearly all the dj intro controllers are better.

Nonsense.

Actually that is not nonsense. It is known that the Twitch controller has a low output volume, which makes it a not so good soundcard for DJing purposes.
phatbob 1:54 PM - 26 September, 2012
I have to disagree Nik.

I've played out extensively with my Twitch, and whilst the signal is a bit lower than, say, my 380, or a CDJ, I've never had a situation where the output level was insufficient, either running into a mixer or directly into a house system through the balanced outs.

Can I imagine a situation where a system is so badly calibrated that the output level is a problem? Yes. Has that come to pass in reality? No.

And the quality of the output is great.
nik39 2:35 PM - 26 September, 2012
I find it weird, that just because *you* can work around or deal with it, that you label the op's statement as nonsense. There are numerous complaints on the forum about the low volume of the Twitch. DJTT has mentioned it in their review, there was even a video from DJTT which has been removed, along with the blog post, where the volume of the S4 was compared to Twitch, and Twitch had a considerably lower volume. serato.com
phatbob 4:37 PM - 26 September, 2012
But the OP said that the card in nearly all the Intro controllers is BETTER. Not 'louder'.

I can't speak on them all, but I've heard the cards in the Mixtrack Pro and the Typhoon, and they don't sound anything like as good as the Twitch. And if the 400 has, as I suspect, a similar card to the 380, then that is equivalent to the Twitch, not better.

So to say:

Quote:

...is nonsense. I stand by that.
nik39 4:40 PM - 26 September, 2012
a few more links...
serato.com
serato.com

Quote:

C'mon... now you're nit picking ;) People nowaydays say Serato, when they mean Scratch Live, they mean louder, when they say better. They say I'm a DJ, when they mean I'm an iPod ;)
nik39 4:41 PM - 26 September, 2012
Oh and the issue about the volume is even in Novations knowledgebase:

www.novationmusic.com
phatbob 4:54 PM - 26 September, 2012
As I said above, can I imagine the output level being an issue for some people? Yep.

Did I read all that info before I bought the Twitch? Yep.

Has the output level ever been an issue for me, or my colleague, who plays out 4 nights a week with nothing but a Twitch? Nope.

I took the OP's post to mean one thing, and you took it as another. Guess unless they chime in again we're debating somewhat pointlessly... ;-)
2.Um.@.X 6:54 AM - 27 September, 2012
Guys, I have been reading this posts and it looks like you are fighting who is right and who is wrong.

Like phatbob said, your debates somewhat pointless. I just want to point out that everyone has their own style of djing and every one has their own liking of a unit. Every DJ has their style on everything, especially how they try to manage their unit to accommodate the sound output or what software they are gonna use to the song they wanted to play.

I have the Vestax Typhoon when it first came out. I thought that I might have a liking on TRAKTOR. But ended up not loving the unit and stored it for a backup. Then SERATO DJ INTRO came out like almost a year (I think). I am glad that I did not try selling the unit. In fact, its my every day unit (2nd to my NS6). As long as I can mix songs and I can play music to the people who wanted to listen my music, I have no plans letting the unit go.

Quote:

Well I think we can eliminate 4 deck functionality because that would contradict the whole plan for intro being designed for beginners.......beginners DONT need 4 decks.

For my quote above, its kinda harsh saying that "BEGINNERS DONT NEED 4 DECKS". Its the same as "YOU HAVE AN I.Q. OF 20, SO YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL". Everything has rooms for improvement, even the NOOBs in DJing. If a SERATO DJ INTRO controller is a 4-channel, does that mean there is DEFINITELY NO ROOM FOR IMPROVING THE SOFTWARE FOR THAT UNIT? If SERATO has plans to upgrade a beginners software to have some room for improvements to utilize a unit, why not!

I cannot argue for a FREE SOFTWARE. SERATO DJ INTRO is a great software for my VESTAX TYPHOON. 8%+- Tempo, 8bar Loop, Simple 1 Effect + Filter, 3 EQ + Gain, NO RECORD feature, etc. Its a basic plug-n-play-and-make-music-K.I.S.S. (Keep It Super Simple) unit. But IF (a big I.F.) plans to upgrade-n-sell software from DJ INTRO to ITCH, that is GREAT. If not, that is not a problem at all. We should support SERATO for giving us the privileged in using their software for FREE.
pdidy 10:47 AM - 27 September, 2012
Quote:
For my quote above, its kinda harsh saying that "BEGINNERS DONT NEED 4 DECKS". Its the same as "YOU HAVE AN I.Q. OF 20, SO YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL". Everything has rooms for improvement, even the NOOBs in DJing. If a SERATO DJ INTRO controller is a 4-channel, does that mean there is DEFINITELY NO ROOM FOR IMPROVING THE SOFTWARE FOR THAT UNIT? If SERATO has plans to upgrade a beginners software to have some room for improvements to utilize a unit, why not!

It appears you have totally missed my point and/or logic. But im too tired to explain rite now.
btw.....if you read my comments, you will see im not against anything that benefits users.
151 Muzik 11:16 PM - 2 October, 2012
SERATO DJ WILL BE RELEASED NOVEMBER 1ST !!!!! UPGRADE PATH !!! IN YO FACE pdidy & phatbob!!! IN YO FACE !!!! THANK U SERATO!!!!! (Go to Digitaldjtips.com for more info
Mimizuku no Lew 11:19 PM - 2 October, 2012
Oh hell, yes!!!!
haze324 11:41 PM - 2 October, 2012
Good job Serato. Impressed.
DjCity 12:26 AM - 3 October, 2012
Quote:
SERATO DJ WILL BE RELEASED NOVEMBER 1ST !!!!! UPGRADE PATH !!! IN YO FACE pdidy & phatbob!!! IN YO FACE !!!! THANK U SERATO!!!!! (Go to Digitaldjtips.com for more info

Where did you see this?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:40 AM - 3 October, 2012
DjCity 12:50 AM - 3 October, 2012
Yeaaaaaaah...

I saw the splash page trying to get to this.

COOOOOOOL............................... I hope
DjCity 1:04 AM - 3 October, 2012
It looks like Pioneer went into Numark's design. I like it except for the placement of the pads under the platters.

Soooo...
Itch is going bye bye. :-(
DjCity 1:09 AM - 3 October, 2012
I just looked at the Pioneer DDJ-SX again.

It REALLY looks A WHOLE DAMN LOT like the NS6.

Is there a collaboration going on? It's eerie how much they look alike. It's a cross between the Numark NS6 and the Numark MPC DJ but with Pioneers name on it.

What gives?!?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:27 AM - 3 October, 2012
Hey DjCity,

The DDJ-SX is 100% Pioneer & Serato :)

Sam.
DjCity 1:31 AM - 3 October, 2012
I have respect for you Samuel so I will take your word for it.

You gotta admit that it really looks a lot like a Numark product though.

I'm sure others will see the same thing i'm seeing.

I like it. I really wanna see it in person when it comes out.
Ophkey 4:05 PM - 30 March, 2013
didy a d haze i hope you both feel like idiots, serato dj is finally here woop woop
Roy Levi 6:44 PM - 30 March, 2013
Quote:

We should support SERATO for giving us the privileged in using their software for FREE.

Where could you possibly get that idea? We pay for Serato software through the hardware vendor, much like Windows is included with a Lenovo laptop. Don't think for a second that it is free.

I suspect this model is also a part of a problem. Numark is a customer of Serato, the end-user who just spent hundreds or thousands on his new rig is not. As such, Serato might focus too much on the hardware vendor leaving the end user experience less than ideal.
Roy Levi 7:06 PM - 30 March, 2013
I'll add a couple of more thoughts to the mix

First, I'm impressed by the fact that Serato decided on an upgrade offering. Lets hope its the beginning of a trend where Serato will pay even more attention to the end users.

Secondly, if you are unhappy with the Serato experience, make very sure that your hardware vendor knows about it. Any business is (hopefully) concerned with keeping their customers happy, and you are their customer. In turn they will bring any concerns to Serato, who will (hopefully) pay close attention to what one of their relatively few and customers have to say.