DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Damaged Gear...

4mydawgz 8:02 AM - 2 September, 2012
So I bought a Rane Mixer about 8 months ago to upgrade my set. I usually do gigs with my boy, Craig. So today, we had a gig and Craig within getting hype from the dj'n. With a drink in his hand he proceeds to jump up, spilling liquid all on my mixer. The mixer worked for about 20 minutes but then proceeded to have drop outs on Channel 2. So obviously it needs repair. How should I handle this? Craig doesn't have a job. Should I take the money we made, leave him with nothing, and charge it to the damage equipment or should I just take this as a cost of business? Like I said he doesn't have a job so receiving steady payment to reimburse the cost of the damage is not a gaurentee.

Looking for advice.
Sol*los 8:12 AM - 2 September, 2012
Tonights money and any future money the two of you make together till things are square. Also tell him to go sell some of his gear or pawn it since he has no job.
Sol*los 8:12 AM - 2 September, 2012
Tonights money and any future money the two of you make together till things are square. Also tell him to go sell some of his gear or pawn it since he has no job.
Sol*los 8:14 AM - 2 September, 2012
Damn it, we really need a delete button. My internet froze up and i hit "post" a couple times.
djbanno 9:41 AM - 2 September, 2012
Be a man and be upfront to him about your thoughts on this. Chances are he feels just as bad about this situation as you do. If that doesn't work you can always have him killed.
Hope this helps.
4mydawgz 12:17 AM - 24 September, 2012
The damage came up to a little less than $200. He asked me how much of it he was responsible for, I told him the whole thing. I guess he was expecting us to go half. I already ate a couple losses that he was responsible for. Not anymore.
DJ'Que 12:23 AM - 24 September, 2012
1st off i would kick his ass the fire him. that not the only issue with him. wow
Dj MacMillz 12:45 AM - 24 September, 2012
That's ya homie and your gig-mate/sound mate...shit happens, BUT....he was responsible for it by doing silly shit (it's not like it broke from wear and tear), so indeed he is responsible....luckily it's only $200, If he can't man up and eat that cost, or understand why he ain't getting his cut from gigs for a while, then I would seek another person to gig with...sounds like he has no gear of his own, otherwise he would respect the situation and been more aware.

Don't lose a homie over $200, but don't be a fool either. As stated, let him know the feelings, and explain a payback structure/format.
4mydawgz 3:58 PM - 17 October, 2012
Update! They tried to fix it to no avail. I picked up the Mixer two weeks ago prior to leaving on a vacation. They said it was all good. i didnt test it because i really had no time. I got back. I finally got around to setting it up last Saturday. Only one channel works. So i took it back and they agree to check it out again. I get a call on Monday. They say it could be the circuit board, which cost $500 just for the part alone. Talk about a punch in the gut. To know you take such good care of your equipment, to know that you put your own money into improving the set, and to have someone who contributes no money come along and f it up, then try to blame you... This just made me want to give up. I haven't told him about the extra repairs needed kuz I know not to expect anything for him. But to lose $800 in a matter of 4 months is very deflating and disheartening. I can't do this anymore. He's already lost one of my MacBook chargers plus a surge protector. I just noticed one of my cable jacks are missing. He had it last. I bought business cards for us and he's just throwing them everywhere with no care. I have a back up mixer. So I'm gonna finish out the year with him, but next year I'm going my own way.
4mydawgz 4:00 PM - 17 October, 2012
Funny thing is when I told him about the initial $200 it cost to fix, he had the nerve to ask me "we'll how much I got for you?" MF'r!!! The whole thing. SMH.
DJDBAG 4:26 PM - 17 October, 2012
this is why you dont let people have drinks near your shit, best friend or not i dont let anyone near my gear with drinks, not even the bride, i kindly place it away from my 4000 worth of equipment
DjFuentes82 4:49 PM - 17 October, 2012
I don't see why wait till next year to part ways. Sounds like he's sponging off of you. If he ain't contributing or he's not as invested as you are then he's got to go.
This proves why I try at all cost to never do business with family or friends.