DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

djm 500, 600, 700 800 whats the difference?

allenbina 5:09 AM - 19 March, 2008
i recommended the pioneer mixers because they're pretty standard in clubs and they have effects built in. i know some of the 800s features: midi, pitch change; but thats all about i know. what are the main differences between them?

ill take my answer off the air.
allenbina 5:13 AM - 19 March, 2008
www.inthemix.com.au
they say the 500 / 600 series are shit. i see them in almost every club. go figure.

anyone have a numark dxm09? i recommended that to someone and they like it but ive never used one.
De LA 2:17 PM - 19 March, 2008
The 500 & 600 are workhorses, thats why you see them in every club. For a house/hiphop mixer that can out last most DJ's beating, they are awesome. The EFX are not bad either. The 700 and 800 are just updated with midi, new efx and some sound quality upgrades.

I have never seen a piece of Numark gear in a club around me. The one mixer I owned from them, I tossed after 4 months. I just wasn't reliable. The power cord was always cutting in and out and the faders were shotty.
DJ Jonasty 4:02 PM - 19 March, 2008
The 800 has a roll feature which basically acts as a sampler. You can choose how many beats to sample, all the way down to 1/8 I think. You can then transfer the sample to any channel across the board. It can spice up the mix so you essentially have 3 tracks playing at once. Midi control is nice, so you don't need to touch the laptop. The roll also has a reverse roll which is kind of cool. The harmonic mixing is not needed with key lock already built in to Serato. The sound quality is leaps above my old 600. If you have some MK3's you can enable the crossfader start. There are a bunch of other effects and dual mic inputs. I'm enjoying this mixer, although I would like to get a 57 as well for fun.
Alixx J 5:09 PM - 19 March, 2008
I had the 600 for 2 years and was fairly happy with it, however, in a club setting i thought it always fell way behind the Xone range for sound quality. When they released the 800 everything about it had totally improved, especially the sound.

Im really liking the digital I/O for linking up to my soundcard and PC, the midi is excellent too. If only it had a couple of dedicated midi buttons like the xone 3D and crossfader like the 909, it would awesome.
DJ Jonasty 5:18 PM - 19 March, 2008
True that for dedicated buttons. I use knobs to scroll crates and songs.
dead serious 6:40 PM - 19 March, 2008
avoid the 500 at all costs. I'd be straight with anything 600 or over. has any1 tried the new 700?
V-Mag 6:42 PM - 19 March, 2008
Jonasty is right on, I had a DJM-600 and upgraded to a DJM-800(still have the 600 as a backup)what an improvement! Pioneer got these mixers right from the start! Every club I go to it's the DJM-800, I spun at a couple of clubs that even had the DJM-1000!

Had Numark mixers before, they were ok at that time. I'm not into scratchng or turntablist applications that's why I was never interested in the 57, unless Rane came out with a 4 channel mixer with 57 applications!

I'm straight up mixing House, Hip Hop and Dance.
King Fader 6:51 PM - 19 March, 2008
Quote:
avoid the 500 at all costs. I'd be straight with anything 600 or over. has any1 tried the new 700?

yes. the 500 has the stupidist design flaw!

the channels only work if they are assigned to the crossfader.
so it's essentially a 2 channel mixer with 4 channels.

as opposed to any other mixer that would just let the single pass thru if it's not
assigned to the crossfader.

this was fixed in the 600
dead serious 7:20 PM - 19 March, 2008
AND there is no crossfader control. I know with the pioneer mixers they aren't geared toward scratching but at least theres a quick cut option. This wasn't on the 500. which is why when I started scratching it never sounded right ha
Crtv_Sounds 7:42 PM - 20 March, 2008
I've used the 500 and 600 and they're not much different sound wise, the 600 does have a curve switch though, which is a useful feature, and the 800 was simply amazing(used it once only at a club). Mixer selection also depends on the style of music youre spinnin. Most clubs have the 500's and 600's instaleld. IMO they are very good mixers and get the job done.
Bigfourty4 2:05 AM - 21 March, 2008
im about to get either a ttm57 or a djm800.

I plan to keep my 56 and my box regardless. I dont see myself doing any video in the near future. I am sold on the djm800 color knob...shit is nuts when using the roll feature.

I dont use the midi features on anything with serato...so...im not concerned with that.

They are both priced about the same....1400 from mega retailers Guitar Center and Sam Ash.
Alixx J 12:24 PM - 21 March, 2008
don't buy the mixer for the harmonic mixing control, it destorts just like master tempo feature on CDJs, but worse (I never use this feature), the crush filter and sweep are very good though...
Bigfourty4 3:53 PM - 21 March, 2008
I use the key lock in serato
DeadDOc 3:18 PM - 23 March, 2008
I used to own/ still do a dxm 09 by Numark. Enjoyed it and the effect but just upgraded to the djm 800. The DJM 700 just came out recently and is a downgraded verion of the 800. No color effects and a few smaller differences in the abilities as well as color of the model. I played with both of these at guitar center the other day and loved the 800! Now to just hook it up with SSL. All the major clubs I know here use DJM800's and I figured if my goal is to spin in them might as well get used to their equipment... next is MK3 and technic tables
DeadDOc 5:01 PM - 23 March, 2008
Quote:
don't buy the mixer for the harmonic mixing control, it destorts just like master tempo feature on CDJs, but worse (I never use this feature), the crush filter and sweep are very good though...

That feature works great for an a cappella as I am told.
VJ Justin Allen 9:32 PM - 23 March, 2008
DeadDOc hooking up the Serato to the 800 is easy. I use the thru inputs for deck 1 and 2 and use the line inputs for channel 3 and 4. I actually get 4 decks instead of just 2.
allenbina 5:10 AM - 24 March, 2008
theres no way you can get 4 channels out of the sl1 unless you're using internal mode.... are you?
DeadDOc 5:48 AM - 24 March, 2008
I get distorted sound out of it.... but also scratch live isnt running on a computer its only being powered thru usb. Currently only running 64bit xp soon 32bit as well. Plug tables in directly and it runs flawlessly.
DJ Michael Basic 6:11 AM - 24 March, 2008
I had the displeasure of mixing on a djm500 last night and remembered how much I hate that mixer...the worst part:

The manager of the club wouldn't let me use my ttm57 because he says that it doesn't get loud enough...he claims to have had other djs bring in a ttm57 and the volume just wasn't as loud as it is out of his pioneer...it was my first time playing there so I didn't want to argue, but they rebooked me for april 12th so next time I'm bringing my 57.

DeadDOc...are you plugging your serato into Line or Phono. If it's distorting, you might be plugging into phono instead of line.
Niro 8:54 AM - 24 March, 2008
djm 500, 600, 700 and 800

dooky, turd, shit and alright.

This became a club standard because of the inputs and outputs that the mixer had. The price tag and the brand name made people think it was good. I know many clubs that are changing there minds, because so many DJ's are using to bring in their own mixer instead of mixing on a pioneer mixer. I have to admit the 800 is not too bad thou.

Yes the output on the pioneers are very loud, but that is because it is putting out more than it should. Notice how almost all that play on one will be way into the red.

The output on the 57 is more than enough, but most clubs don't want to turn up there amps, they would rather have a Hot distorted signal coming from the mixer.

Niros
VJ Justin Allen 1:15 PM - 24 March, 2008
Allenbina,

Channels 1 & 2 are the actual Players. Channel 3 & 4 become the Serato music. So when I use the time coded cd's I bring those in, and then switch to internal. That then frees up both players. And by the way, my players are DVJ-X1's so I use Serato to "add" and/or mash the videos. It's kinda the best of both worlds.

I also use the trigger finger and will sometimes just mix with that, bypassing teh decks.

The truth is, I can get 4 channels happening at the same time, but usually only do 3 at most.
VJ Justin Allen 1:18 PM - 24 March, 2008
Niro,

It's interesting how you compare the djm 500, 600, 700 and 800 to the 57. You do realize that you covered 5 years of Pioneer mixers to one that is brand new. DO you not think that there are advancements in mixer technology over the years?

I have the 800 and the 57 and I much perfer the sound quality of the 800 vs the 57. And I know better than to run the mixer into the reds. And also, you can run the 57 into the reds as well, just so you know.

There is a reason a standard becomes a standard.
DJ Jonasty 3:08 PM - 24 March, 2008
That 500 is frustrating to use, especially after years on the 600 and after a few months on the 800. No crossfader curve, wtf?
Niro 7:06 PM - 24 March, 2008
Quote:
Niro,

It's interesting how you compare the djm 500, 600, 700 and 800 to the 57. You do realize that you covered 5 years of Pioneer mixers to one that is brand new. DO you not think that there are advancements in mixer technology over the years?

I have the 800 and the 57 and I much perfer the sound quality of the 800 vs the 57. And I know better than to run the mixer into the reds. And also, you can run the 57 into the reds as well, just so you know.

There is a reason a standard becomes a standard.

Yes there has been advancement in audio technology in the last 5 years, but nothing changes bad sounding audio quality.

I compared it to a 57, because it was mentioned in the post above mine and it is the mixer prefer to use. Yes you can run every mixer into the red, What I'm saying is for you to get a lot louder than a 57, you have to really run it into the red. And probably 80% of DJ's I see playing on a pioneer DJM# plays that way. Also you are on the Serato board and a 57 is a familiar mixer to compare to.

A standard becomes a standard, not always because it is the best. There are many factors: availability, price, insignificant consumer knowledge, etc.... and hype.

Niros
DeadDOc 4:31 PM - 26 March, 2008
Quote:

DeadDOc...are you plugging your serato into Line or Phono. If it's distorting, you might be plugging into phono instead of line.

Ive tried every way. Is it maybe SL isnt hooked up properly? My computer is a 64bit system and the drivers are only for a 32bit so its only plugged into the computer for power. Soon will have a 32bit OS on there for a dual boot and will be able to run SL.
DeadDOc 5:05 AM - 29 March, 2008
Ok nvm it was due to the computer... works now :-)
DeadDOc 5:07 AM - 29 March, 2008
Just at my place... I dont hit yellows and its loud enough... gain is maybe half way on the monitors themself. *booth hookup 1/4"*