DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer DJM-909

SoulStice 5:40 AM - 1 September, 2012
Hey everybody,
I came across a used Pioneer 909 selling for about $600. I have Rane 56 that I've been using for years and love it; but I wanted to upgrade to something w/ some fx. I'd love to get a 62 or even a decent 57, but it's just not in the budget. So my question is, are there any current or former 909 users that can tell me it's track record? reliability? problems? Especially with the crossfaders; do they last as long as the Ranes? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dj_Roger 10:20 AM - 1 September, 2012
i have both th 57 and 909 and love them both.
Never had any problems with neither of them and their built like tanks.
I guess the 909 is Jazzy Jeff's favorite mixer for a reason.
SoulStice 5:59 AM - 4 September, 2012
^^^True.
Dj Fantom 12:23 PM - 4 September, 2012
909 for 600 jump on that !!! i have a 707 which is the 909 without effects etc.. wince 06 and its been dropped , rained on, drinks spilled in, etc.. and works like new .... and all my friends 909's do as well .... the main problem i see with most 707's/ 909's after years is the headphone jack going out as mine and alot of other peoples i know has.. but thats a simple, inexpensive fix !
philldafunk 2:42 PM - 4 September, 2012
I've had my 909 for a little over 5 years, the only problem I've had are my curve adjust knobs aren't really responsive. Luckily I have them set where I want them, but I have to wiggle them about to get them to respond.

The crossfader is amazing you can adjust the cut in time, and there is an allen key you can use to adjust the tension in the fader too... Get you some deoxit fader lube, and it will make the fader even smoother. Do you already have a serato box? If not that may be the deciding factor on which route you take...
SoulStice 8:21 PM - 4 September, 2012
Thank you guys for the feedback!! I do have an SL1 box that I use with my 56, so I'm ok with that. I've always been more than happy with my 56, but I'm was interested in getting something with some onboard effects, (mainly an echo out), and a sharp, loooong lasting cross fader. Honestly, If I could get a 62 or a 57 in good shape for a decent price, I would, but these days that's hard to come by. I've never really used a Pioneer before, so I wasnt sure at first, but it's starting to sound pretty good. Thanks again!
Aden 6:45 PM - 11 September, 2012
Get it. That's a steal and great mixer. I've had mine since January.
DJ Dynamight 8:00 PM - 11 September, 2012
I had a 909 in 2005, then sold it in 2006 when I got the 57. I missed the 909 so I bought one from my homeboy a few months ago. It's a great mixer--I haven't had an problems with the faders. One minor issue I have with mine is that it requires multiple taps to register on the right side of the screen when changing the effect parameters. I eventually found out how to "tap it right" lol. I hardly change those settings so the issue doesn't really bother me.
djnonstopla323 10:58 PM - 11 September, 2012
I have The 909 I had the 56 ,I love the 909 the faders are smooth and adjustable never had any problems knock on wood. I would suggest getting a skin from styleflip the paint around the fader seems to wear out if you scratch a lot ...Great Mixer for scratching or mixing
DJ Remy USA 12:55 AM - 12 September, 2012
still have my 909, 707, and 57....and I will say a 909 for that price is a great pickup
Utahmedic 5:47 AM - 1 November, 2017
Ok, so this is a first step in a long time. I'm a has-been club DJ. I was spinning from around 1987 to 2002. My last job was in Utah at a venue in the 2002 Winter Olympics. I have some catching up to do. I'm looking for something to teach my sons on in the basement. I don't want to end up buying some toy that is marketed as the top whatever, but at the same time I don't need a $6000 setup. Does anyone have a studio setup that works for them and be willing to send me a list of startup items. I am most familiar with turntables, but am willing to branch out. By the way, I've never touched anything but Technics SL-1200 turntable. Kinda pricey now huh? Similar feel without the price? Any favorites? and I'd like to be able to record sets for review and teaching. Cassette tapes are out? What do I need now?

In the mean time I've been playing around with the simple Djay2 and Djay pro apps on an iPad Pro. I need to upgrade. Whatever you think will be the best bang for the buck.
Thanks Brothers - Next I've got to figure out what to do with the stuff....
WildcardX 5:08 PM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
Ok, so this is a first step in a long time. I'm a has-been club DJ. I was spinning from around 1987 to 2002. My last job was in Utah at a venue in the 2002 Winter Olympics. I have some catching up to do. I'm looking for something to teach my sons on in the basement. I don't want to end up buying some toy that is marketed as the top whatever, but at the same time I don't need a $6000 setup. Does anyone have a studio setup that works for them and be willing to send me a list of startup items. I am most familiar with turntables, but am willing to branch out. By the way, I've never touched anything but Technics SL-1200 turntable. Kinda pricey now huh? Similar feel without the price? Any favorites? and I'd like to be able to record sets for review and teaching. Cassette tapes are out? What do I need now?

In the mean time I've been playing around with the simple Djay2 and Djay pro apps on an iPad Pro. I need to upgrade. Whatever you think will be the best bang for the buck.

Might be a good idea to make a post by itself rather than commenting on an already established post. You'd get more feedback for sure. I only saw your post because I came looking at the topic being "Pioneer DJM-909" so some people might just scroll past this.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:53 PM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Might be a good idea to make a post by itself rather than commenting on an already established post. You'd get more feedback for sure. I only saw your post because I came looking at the topic being "Pioneer DJM-909" so some people might just scroll past this.

+1

Definitely recommend a fresh thread
DJ Emir 2:07 AM - 3 November, 2017
I bought a second 909 after I screwed up my first one. I had been at a club that had a very small platform and at the end of the night when I had unplugged it someone bumped it and it fell on the floor, It withstood this drop but one of the volume faders got knocked semi loose and would sort of fade a little in and out one speaker (IE Left or right speaker) I discovered it was a loose Solder joint So one day I finally took the time to re solder the connections. I got that fixed but then decided to also do the connection on the headphone jack that also had a similar problem, I even got that fixed but then accidently touched it while I was checking the connection to see if it was solid and blew out the entire circuit board somehow fried the electronics the mixer doesn't work at all now. Sad because it would have been exactly like new again, so then I had to find one online that was $500 which was a little more used and had a stuck effects selection button that made it harder to switch effects or would occasionally stay in the down position and continue cycling through effects. Got that slightly fixed and otherwise the mixer was solid for years and still works today. I purchased a Pioneer DJM S9 and had issues with serato and the mixer glitching out after a few hours of play where the left side would act like it lost a clean connection, some sort of buzzing sound would occur every few seconds until I would unplug either the USB cable or turn the mixer on and off and then the sound would reset. Took it back to guitar center got a replacement and it acted better for a while but eventually also started on occasion (less than the first one) acting similar. A few updates later I haven't experienced much of it but I am always afraid it will magically resurface during an event. Could have been a Serato & Pioneer software and hardware malfunction issue but do expect new equipment I paid thousands for to be solid and reliable.