DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

what % of people here spin edm here?

filitico 11:37 PM - 27 August, 2012
and use seratoe of course!

all i see is raprapraprapfapfap discussion (dont get me wrong i love it too, but where are the all the house/trance/minimal/dubstep etc etc djs?

can calling it "EDM" feels so, yucky.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:36 AM - 28 August, 2012
raises hand
ninos 1:06 AM - 28 August, 2012
house head right here!
Caley Martin 1:10 AM - 28 August, 2012
deep house and techno for me.
O.B.1 1:14 AM - 28 August, 2012
I spin electro remixes of rap. Does that count?
50% of the time it works every time!
filitico 1:20 AM - 28 August, 2012
good to know! lemme hear some mixes then! here's mine: soundcloud.com
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:08 AM - 28 August, 2012
Yup yup! I play Tech house/techno/psy-progressive...

..never played any "EDM" though :p
Caley Martin 4:13 AM - 28 August, 2012
here's my soundcloud:

soundcloud.com
DJ Kos 5:48 AM - 28 August, 2012
Electro, Moombahton and Moombahcore. Been spinning house since the 90s. Actually make custom music videos for all the tracks I play including the ones I produce.
filitico 7:11 AM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
here's my soundcloud:

soundcloud.com

syyyyck good taste bro!

post your mixes Kos & Scott i'd love to hear them!

i used to be a psy trance dj back in the day
BERTO 7:12 AM - 28 August, 2012
House, electro, dubstep, moombah here, ssl w turntables
filitico 7:17 AM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:

post mixes or stfu (just kidding!)
BERTO 7:40 AM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

post mixes or stfu (just kidding!)

Not mix worthy yet alot of sound experimentation and different shit i try to do transition wise, i actually pride myself in that
DJ Kos 7:55 AM - 28 August, 2012
Here is my soundcloud with my tracks and mixes.
soundcloud.com

Here is my Vimeo with my video remixes and video mix
vimeo.com
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:56 AM - 28 August, 2012
I spin techno (when im not skratching over hip hop type beats)

Some mixes over here -

www.maschineboy.com

there a multitracked drum and bass set on there too ;)
blackavenger 12:17 PM - 28 August, 2012
Been playing Drum n' Bass going on 16 years. I also love playing Deep House, Tech House, Techno, Future Garage, Deep Dubstep.

I'm pretty lazy about making mixes, but here's a couple I have on Soundcloud.....

soundcloud.com
Taiko 1:06 PM - 28 August, 2012
House, electro, techno, tech house and sometimes some D&B or UK dubstep. I don't play rap or hip hop.
I use SSL with turntables.
djbanno 1:43 PM - 28 August, 2012
Tech House, Techno, Deep and straight up House...3 Tech's w/Serato.
Been takin inspiration from these forums to learn turntablism and move forward with my craft tho...
DirtyMindTriqz 3:47 PM - 28 August, 2012
Dubstep (dark stuff not shit like "lights"), D&B, and drumstep
nicksubishi 3:59 PM - 28 August, 2012
Psytrance all the way
d:raf 4:03 PM - 28 August, 2012
House, glitch hop, drum & bass & downtempo (not sure if that counts) here... used SSL for years but moved to Itch more recently.

mixcloud (mixes galore): www.mixcloud.com

Soundcloud (mostly original productions w/a couple of mixes): soundcloud.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:32 PM - 28 August, 2012
good question, I wonder too. I'm a "techno" DJ. I actually don't play techno at all, but people get that. Now adays though, everything is house or dubstep even if it bears no actual relation to house music or dubstep. Interesting.
BERTO 4:35 PM - 28 August, 2012
Well for the general non musically passionate house music is techno... Electro is dubstep....
House music has become edm for everyone....
filitico 5:08 PM - 28 August, 2012
very rare to hear someone spin a very specific style for an extended period of time. sounds better when you mix it up a bit like ratatouie mixes food hehe
Code:E 5:42 PM - 28 August, 2012
I'm very open formate but play more than my fair share of electro.
blackavenger 5:47 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
good question, I wonder too. I'm a "techno" DJ. I actually don't play techno at all, but people get that. Now adays though, everything is house or dubstep even if it bears no actual relation to house music or dubstep. Interesting.

Quote:
Well for the general non musically passionate house music is techno... Electro is dubstep....

Those in my circle have always just called it "dance music". That term sums up all the various genres/sub-genres, and doesn't sound retarded like "edm".
blackavenger 5:49 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
very rare to hear someone spin a very specific style for an extended period of time. sounds better when you mix it up a bit like ratatouie mixes food hehe

Do you mean genre (along w' tempo), or just style within a main genre?
filitico 6:42 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Do you mean genre (along w' tempo), or just style within a main genre?

i meant elements of each style, for example: getting some of the funkyness of deep house with progressive arrangements in progressive psy

or the energy of electrohouse with more instrumentalness of broken beat

i find i really enjoy listening to mixes that arent easily branded as such and such style, but still feel like a whole subtly morphing into new things :)
Mr. Goodkat 6:53 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Those in my circle have always just called it "dance music". That term sums up all the various genres/sub-genres, and doesn't sound retarded like "edm".

electronic dance music or dance music. its a one word difference
filitico 7:03 PM - 28 August, 2012
electronic dance music or dance music. its a one word difference

its not about the words in edm vs dm.. its the sort of demeaning attitude that comes with people saying edm. dunno if i am explaining myself right.

anyway got lots of new mixes to listen to tonite ^^
Taipanic 7:12 PM - 28 August, 2012
Club-wise, I've always had to play with a Top40 slant, though my mix has always leaned towards high energy - Techno, House, & Breaks. Though I enjoy old-school Hip-Hop, it was not the big music Genre in Florida when it was new and was mostly banned by the club owners... Mixing for over 20 years, my format is always open format - there is just so much good music from the last several decades, I'm always mixing in aurally pleasing, but unexpected songs into my sets.
blackavenger 8:28 PM - 28 August, 2012
Quote:
its not about the words in edm vs dm.. its the sort of demeaning attitude that comes with people saying edm.

Exactly!
spirez 8:51 PM - 28 August, 2012
Soundcloud.com/yoaphro
Alixx J 11:06 PM - 28 August, 2012
I have to play a mash up at the weekend of rnb, dance, dubstep etc. my favoured taste and what I play in my own time is deep/minimal house and techno.

Wtf is EDM... That phrase should be binned. Its like dance has only just been discovered, this 'EDM' phrase has been coined by america, but you guys created house! What's going on!?!
phatbob 11:21 PM - 28 August, 2012
House music was invented by gay black people.

That is problematic for much of America on a couple of different levels, even in 2012, sadly.
Alixx J 11:34 PM - 28 August, 2012
True, which is pretty sad in my eyes, but there's huge business in retro and regalia (especially currently in the uk), you'd think business heads in the US would push the resurgence branded as the homecoming of house and disco to make more money, rather than rebrand it as an altogether new genre which alienates a lot of the history. I guess that's why people find the EDM label offensive.
phatbob 11:40 PM - 28 August, 2012
It would be nice to see the US acknowledge the history of Dance music a bit more, but there's clearly a lot more money in straight, white EDM than there is in a disco revival... As I recall, disco didn't end too well in the States the first time round...
Alixx J 11:54 PM - 28 August, 2012
I guess the business model is aimed at the high school crowd who need to label the pop outfits 'Rihanna, Calvin Harris, Black eyed peas, Guetta' etc as something other than a pop act? Can't quite call it pure house and hence EDM.

That age group wouldn't have a care for the background to it all.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:30 AM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
As I recall, disco didn't end too well in the States the first time round...

BITE YO TONGUE!!!

Disco lives....you just have to know where to look....
phatbob 12:39 AM - 29 August, 2012
No doubt, Johnny... I'm in the UK, where the nu-disco scene is very healthy indeed.

But not much Disco troubling the mainstream right now though, is there?
filitico 2:58 AM - 29 August, 2012
i'd like to think that the US still has hope for underground forms of music.. there is this habit of discovering things 5-10 years late and blowing it way out of proportion *cough dubstep

I hope psytrance never becomes super popular..i'd be very sad to hear it all over the place in every radio station. call me elitist or whatever.. but i dont want rianna signing in my stuff thanks.
d:raf 3:04 AM - 29 August, 2012
Is there any psytrance with vocals? Everything I've heard from the genre over the years has zero pop appeal whatsoever...
Dj Nyce 3:14 AM - 29 August, 2012
Electro and Progressive for me 50% of the time. other half is Open Format, Top 40, Rap, House.
filitico 3:21 AM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
Is there any psytrance with vocals? Everything I've heard from the genre over the years has zero pop appeal whatsoever...

it started to have vocals thanks to infected mushroom letting that damn bald guy sing...

watch out 2014 when IDM hits the mainstream!
d:raf 3:27 AM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
t started to have vocals thanks to infected mushroom letting that damn bald guy sing...

lol... I saw them play here last year pushing their "new sound"... the young'uns dug it but all the old-school psy-heads were pissed. Sounded more dance-rock than psy-trance.
DJ Dac 3:34 AM - 29 August, 2012
Yeah Buddy!
blackavenger 5:13 AM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
House music was invented by gay black people.

That is problematic for much of America on a couple of different levels, even in 2012, sadly.

When I first got into the scene in the mid 90's, all the clubs I went to were Gay Clubs & Warehouses. It primarily stayed that way until about 2001. Then everything went to the mainstream elitist-type clubs/bars.

The vibe was waaaay better in the early days. There were never ANY fights....everyone got along....PLUR (as cheeky as that was) really meant something.
filitico 6:32 AM - 29 August, 2012
lol... I saw them play here last year pushing their "new sound"... the young'uns dug it but all the old-school psy-heads were pissed. Sounded more dance-rock than psy-trance.

yeah loved them when i discovered them in 2000-2001 and by 2004...started becoming more into the poppy side and now...its all singing..no mystique aka hardly psychedelic :(

nobody around here (ecuador) really likes psy so i got into other stuff..and i love my deep moody house <3
filitico 6:35 AM - 29 August, 2012
its weird because i used to like bashing people who always say the good ol days were better...and now im starting to agree with them..
phatbob 6:43 AM - 29 August, 2012
It's nothing to worry about... "Underground will live forever baby, we just like roaches... Never die, always livin"...

There's always a good scene out there to be found.
SeriousCyrus 7:41 AM - 29 August, 2012
I also hate the term edm, where did it come from? Dance music for me, it's not all electronic, and I don't stick to any particular genre. Tend to avoid top 40 but will play the indie stuff (I think some call it hipster music, also annoying).
echa1945mf 9:44 AM - 29 August, 2012
House : Deep,Tech,Funky and a bit Nu-disco

Rane SL2 + CDJ's
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:57 PM - 29 August, 2012
So many cats in this thread are CLUELESS
phatbob 2:01 PM - 29 August, 2012
Crack an egg of knowledge on us then bro...
Pressure Point 3:05 PM - 29 August, 2012
I probably wouldn't be a dj today without exposure to drum and bass in the 90's.
filitico 3:35 PM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
So many cats in this thread are CLUELESS

how about you post some of your mixes?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:51 PM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
No doubt, Johnny... I'm in the UK, where the nu-disco scene is very healthy indeed.

But not much Disco troubling the mainstream right now though, is there?

Disco does NOT deserve the treatment of "Mainstream" focus, it would then get watered down...

Look, I have Disco under wraps right now, I will be re-releasing it to the world shortly...

Stay tuned.
Mr. Goodkat 6:50 PM - 29 August, 2012
edm seems to work for describing pop electronic musicians.

skrillex isnt dubstep, guetta isnt making house, and smh has nothing to do with house. they are all electronic musicians/producers, that use elements of house, breaks, dubstep, trance, to make some electronic music for the masses.

the only part that doesnt make sense is the 'dance' part. most people just stand there and look at the dj or head bob a bit.
blackavenger 7:04 PM - 29 August, 2012
Quote:
the only part that doesnt make sense is the 'dance' part. most people just stand there and look at the dj or head bob a bit.

Yeah, parties have been reduced to kids staring at the DJ, with raised fists swinging up & down, or even worse, moshing like at a concert. Ughhh!
ced_so_thoed 7:10 PM - 29 August, 2012
ay
No EDM for me. I never been a fan and I'm not around that type of crowd. Life works out well for me though.
yep
nicksubishi 8:05 PM - 29 August, 2012
Cant get over Americans talking about Psy-trance, just don't seem right!!!!
Whats the Psy-trance seen like in the USA? here in the UK it's starting to build a good following again with Tribe of frog putting on some good parties and small festivals.
Mr. Goodkat 7:40 PM - 30 August, 2012
its a bunch of neo hippies in the middle of nowhere, playing in the dirt and hula hooping while on hallucinogens. but its probably got a better crowd than most electronic music shows on avg. at least in tx.
ryeski 11:29 PM - 30 August, 2012
36.8%
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:02 AM - 31 August, 2012
33 1/3
filitico 3:28 AM - 31 August, 2012
i used to spin psytrance when i lived in south Florida area for several years. we used to make psy picnics and it was pretty free of neo-hippy pretentiousness. just people having a bbq and enjoying the beats. i know cali texas and one of the carolinas has a small but decent movement.

however, around 2006 too many people were spinning darkpsy and fullon and i defected to progressive and then minimal...and now i play deep house lol.

and just like 'EDM' sounds demeaning, 'Americans' sounds the same.
d:raf 4:08 AM - 31 August, 2012
^ Probably North Carolina (at least if the scene in Asheville is any indication). The Touch Samahdi guys are here and several of my DJ friends at least dabble in psy. I've been to a show/festival or two (or twenty) but I can't get down to it for 6 hours+ like a lot of my friends can; after about an hour or so I want to hear something else. Guess my chakras aren't properly aligned or something (or my aversion to psychedelics acts as a barrier... lol).
blackavenger 5:28 AM - 31 August, 2012
Quote:
Guess my chakras aren't properly aligned or something (or my aversion to psychedelics acts as a barrier... lol).

LOL....perhaps not ;)