Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Importing Files

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djderby 1:28 PM - 12 November, 2005
Not at all a big problem:

I run SSL on a Ibook OSX. Specs are irrelevant.

I organise, tag, gain, bpm count on WIN PC and then i copy those (perfect) MP3 files to my mac. On my MAC i've got a folder with my mp3s with subfolders "Genres"
So i have for exemple a folder 'breakbeat' , 'electro' and 'dnb'...i have got the same Crates in SSL as these folders
So I copy a mp3 file to the 'breakbeat' folder on my mac and later i IMPORT the folder 'breakbeat' ...drag and drop...in my 'breakbeat' crate of SSL.
What happens: it imports all files: so it suplicates the old files and adds the new files...this is very annoying coz' now i have to find the single MP3 files and import them (= more work)

I don't see why it duplicates existing files (with the same path)...what can i do about this?? I fount out on this forum that in 1.1 some people also had a problem with this...

Those who want to advice Itunes: i don't like the program because it messes up filenames and folder organisation. I once imported my files and it began making new album and Artist folders, duplicated my mp3 files with new filenames and so on. (AND i use album as a sort of sub-genre: for exemple: genre=house album=Disco&Beach House...

Is There a way to import mp3 files in Itunes without it making its own library organisation thing? (which is in my oppinion not a good organisation for a DJ: as we are interested in singles, not in albums)
nik39 2:09 PM - 12 November, 2005
Quote:
What happens: it imports all files: so it suplicates the old files and adds the new files...

Are you sure? Never happened to me. Also are you really sure that its the same path fully? I read somewhere there was an additonal "/" somewhere.

Quote:
Those who want to advice Itunes: i don't like the program because it messes up filenames and folder organisation. I once imported my files and it began making new album and Artist folders, duplicated my mp3 files with new filenames and so on.

Yeah, thats why I hated iTunes as well at first. Now I found out you can tell iTunes _not_ to sort your files/move them around. Still iTunes sucks for me ;)
Serato
Josh 1:08 AM - 14 November, 2005
I can't reproduce this. What version of Mac OS X are you using?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:01 PM - 14 November, 2005
Quote:
Are you sure? Never happened to me. Also are you really sure that its the same path fully? I read somewhere there was an additonal "/" somewhere.
I remember reading the same thing some where, as well.

Look at the file locations within the Scratch LIVE library very closely for the extra "/" or something.
prof. rockwell 8:46 PM - 20 June, 2006
Crikey, hate to bring this back up to the front as I just asked this same question (sorry, didn't do a search before posting) but I am having the same problem. It looks like the home folder location in SSL was my old folder name before I re-installed my OS. Can I just manually change it in SSL, or is there a different way I should use?

thanks.