Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

CD decks pitch drifts slightly

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
ollebe 3:29 PM - 4 August, 2012
Everything is set up properly. I've been running Serato for almost 2 years but this problem occurs every now and then. Normally when i've updated the software or re-installed my computer. I've never known why the problem occurs, but what i've had to do before is to properly uninstall serato (all files) and remove the bpm tags for my whole iTunes library and then have them re-analyzed. But this time the problem won't go away. Tunes that normally used to ride for 30-50 seconds starts to drift after 2-3 seconds. I have found that serato strangely don't read my cd decks at 33.3, but the values varies instead. Like deck 1 32.5 and deck 32.8.

Tech details:
MacBook Pro
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Pioneer CDJ - 900 Players

Uploaded Screen-shots:
ge.tt

I've never been able to calibrate any CDJ:s (tried on various club systems). The estimate button always go all the way to the left. And trust me, I've done everything step by step according to the tutorials that are online. So I've always left it at 48,0. It doesn't help though if i move the estimate button manually either way to get away with the drift problem.

Would love some feedback on this!

Many thanks in advance.
3:30 PM, 4 Aug 2012
ollebe attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-08-03 at 10.43.28 PM.png
View· Permalink
3:30 PM, 4 Aug 2012
ollebe attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-08-03 at 10.43.28 PM.png
View· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:48 AM - 6 August, 2012
Hi ollebe,

Does this happen with both decks? With regard to calibration, all you need to do it leave the cdj stopped and click 'estimate', it is an interesting test moving the slider manually though.

Does it happen with both jog modes?

Quote:
I have found that serato strangely don't read my cd decks at 33.3, but the values varies instead. Like deck 1 32.5 and deck 32.8.

This happens with the pitch at 0?

Have you tried new control cd's?

Mathew
ollebe 7:51 AM - 6 August, 2012
Hi Mathew,

Yes, my Serato don¨t read any of the decks at the same speed. Maybe only one time during a 2 hour set. And it's not only on my decks, I¨ve tried on 2 other pair of pioneer cdj:s as well. Box broken?

Yeah, tried new control cd:s.

Have tried calibrate CDJ:s so many times now and it never works. The estimate button slider always go all the way to the left. No matter what.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:28 AM - 7 August, 2012
Do you have a friends SL box you can try with your cdjs as a test?

I would also try a friends computer with your cdj's and SL box, then we can really nail it down to one particular thing.
ollebe 9:48 AM - 8 August, 2012
uploaded this video!

box is set up properly. tried calibrating both when i have the control cd "paused" and "running".
still not possible to calibrate.

i have tried on 2 other pair of cdj:s.

cheers, O
9:54 AM, 8 Aug 2012
ollebe attached a file: IMG_0197.MOV
Download· Permalink
ollebe 10:22 AM - 8 August, 2012
tried in abs mode now as well. correction: the slider goes all the way to the right!

just to make sure that i'm not making any mistakes:

1. I play a track on "deck 1" in internal mode out loud on my system.
2. on deck 2 i press play and then pause the deck (relative mode). then i hit the estimate button?
right?

tried switching all the rca cables, usb-cabel, switching channels on the mixer & connecting the power adapter without any improvement.
ollebe 10:39 AM - 8 August, 2012
with pitch set at 0, both players read 33.3. still not possible to calibrate though!
ollebe 10:59 AM - 8 August, 2012
so i guess we can leave the cd reading deck speed out of this matter... sorry about that. my mistake.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 2:27 AM - 9 August, 2012
Quote:
1. I play a track on "deck 1" in internal mode out loud on my system.
2. on deck 2 i press play and then pause the deck (relative mode). then i hit the estimate button?
right?

This is correct. This then tunes the paused deck into the surrounding sound environment. It's sometimes difficult to tell if this is working or not because - depending on your surroundings, the dial may or may not move.
ollebe 3:03 PM - 14 August, 2012
any other suggestions? tracks are drifting when they should be "locked" or at least not drift for 30-40 seconds.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:05 PM - 15 August, 2012
re: the video, there's a funny squiggly line on the right deck that's quite strange, the signal is definitely not clear. What's also strange is that when you stop the CD, the green circle should go away.

Compare it to the left deck and you'll see what I mean, I'd imagine you noticed it anyway.

From the manual (fyi):

TIP: If the slider jumps to the far right, then you have a problem with noise in your turntables/CD players/mixer. Check all your connections and make sure your equipment is well earthed. In some situations you will not be able to improve the signal quality, and you will have to play on regardless. In this situation, stick to rel mode.

If you switch cdj's, does the calibration problem follow to the left deck?

Have you tried different channels on your mixer?
12:00 AM, 30 Aug 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
ollebe 10:06 AM - 4 September, 2012
i've tried calibrating on 3 other pioneer systems now, at 2 clubs, 1 x 2000 players, 1 x 1000 players and 1 x 800 players.

the slider have jumped to the far right each time. i can't imagine that there's a noise problem on all these players? is it even possible to calibrate cd players?
ollebe 10:08 AM - 4 September, 2012
could you upload a video calibrating a pioneer cd player? there's not a single one online.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 4:27 AM - 5 September, 2012
it's exactly the same as calibrating turntables, you just need to pause the CD instead of stopping the vinyl.
ollebe 7:58 AM - 5 September, 2012
so why i haven't i been able to calibrate any of the 4 pioneer systems that i tried?
box broken?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:16 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
they should be "locked" or at least not drift for 30-40 seconds.

They shouldn't be drifting at all unless you move the pitch!

Did you get a chance to try on another computer with your Rane box? That would for sure rule out either the box or the computer.
12:00 AM, 20 Sep 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 5:06 AM - 24 September, 2012
Also make sure your Scratch Live box is placed away from other wires and anything that could interfere with the electrical signal.
ollebe 7:52 AM - 29 October, 2012
so i've tried with another computer and the problem still remains.

what's the next step?
DJ Teh 11:02 AM - 29 October, 2012
Calibration is easy, make sure that the CDJ is stopped/paused/cued and hit estimate. Simple as that.

If its jumping to the far right then something is causing a lot of noise. Try this:

- Complete set of new RCA leads on both sides to rule out bad cables
- Turn ALL hardware off that you can so you can illimitate that from the equation (this includes the CDJs, Mixer, other computers, and your mac PSU as well, disconnect that from the Mac and power if off at the wall!)

Then hit the calibrate button again, if it still jumps to the far right, I suspect your SL box is foobared. If you go to the far left, which is should do if the signal is clean you then can turn everything back on again, calibrate again and see what happens. If it then jumps to the far right again, its time to do a process of elimination to which device is causing the noise, I would start with your mac's PSU.

Hope this helps
ollebe 11:23 AM - 29 October, 2012
foobared?

with PSU you mean the battery?
ollebe 3:20 PM - 29 October, 2012
CORRECTION: the slider goes far left when i try to calibrate. (never been far right)

tried with new rca cables just now.
ollebe 5:49 PM - 29 October, 2012
so far left means that the signal is good?
ollebe 5:13 PM - 30 October, 2012
so if far left means the signal is good? what's then causing the drifting?
DJ Teh 5:54 PM - 4 November, 2012
Yes to the far left is good as that means there is no noise on the line.

If its drifting I would question your audio files rather than your hardware :)
ollebe 9:47 AM - 5 November, 2012
ok cool! glad that someone for the first time cleared that out :)

i find it hard to believe that my audio files would be corrupted.

so since it's not a calibration problem, is it fair to say that there's something wrong with the box?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:11 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Yes to the far left is good as that means there is no noise on the line.

While this is true, I've never seen zero noise. Can I just check that while the cdj is stopped you're playing music at the higher end of the volume level you'll stick to throughout the majority of your session?

All the way to the right there's noise problem, so you'll normally see it somewhere in the middle. To the left would be zero interference, but probably zero noise too.

In these different time you've checked with different computers and cdj's, has the music level when calibrating been the same?
ollebe 10:40 AM - 6 November, 2012
have tried different volume levels in the booth, still goes to the far left.
ollebe 9:07 AM - 9 November, 2012
what's the next step here? this is very frustrating.
DJ Teh 4:24 PM - 9 November, 2012
I'm going to the far left on mine, and I have no issues what so ever with drifting tracks or problems actually playing tracks. Far left is -72db which indicates a good line. However Serato do recommend that you leave them set at -48db for CDJ use.

I still have this feeling its your audio files that are the problem. I've seen the drifting problem occur more often on Traktor because of its complex way of BPMing tracks and the decoders it uses.

Can you try using a CDJs that HID Mode on it with the tracks that drift and see if the drifting still occurs? You'll need 2x USB lead, and a USB 2.0 hub as Apple in all its wisdom only include 2 USB ports!
DJ Teh 4:26 PM - 9 November, 2012
Apparently my typing skills today are atrocious.

Can you try using CDJs that have HID Mode on it with the tracks that drift and see if the drifting still occurs? You'll need 2x USB lead, and a USB 2.0 hub as Apple in all its wisdom only include 2 USB ports!

On that note, you're using CDJ 900s, these have HID mode.
ollebe 4:27 PM - 9 November, 2012
i buy all my music from beatport, juno etc.
my audio files are fine.
DJ Teh 4:55 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
i buy all my music from beatport, juno etc.
my audio files are fine.

Fair enough, I'd try the HID mode option and see if it still drifts :)
ollebe 1:37 PM - 22 November, 2012
well i don't want to use hid mode, and not all clubs have the new pioneer players.
i really want to get some response from the serato team now.

i haven't had this problem always. i know how it should work when everything runs properly.

you'll lose a serato user if you don't take this seriously. and i'll never recommend anyone to buy your gear. it's been 4 months since i started this topic?

by this time i think it would be more than fair that i send my box to the support team so they can have a look at it?
DJ Teh 3:20 PM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:
well i don't want to use hid mode, and not all clubs have the new pioneer players.
i really want to get some response from the serato team now.

i haven't had this problem always. i know how it should work when everything runs properly.

you'll lose a serato user if you don't take this seriously. and i'll never recommend anyone to buy your gear. it's been 4 months since i started this topic?

by this time i think it would be more than fair that i send my box to the support team so they can have a look at it?

Fair enough, but its another option to rule out.
pueblofunky 4:08 PM - 22 November, 2012
I also had troubles with controlling one of my CDJ-800MK2 with Serato.

At first I've thought the CD player has a problem (didn't use it for a longer time).

Then I've thought it's a bug in Serato 2.4.3 - also when I changed the cables (left/right).

Then I replaced one cable - and this was the problem.

Remembers me a few years ago when I had the same problem with a bad cable from a CD player in the club to SL-1.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 2:57 AM - 23 November, 2012
This seems to be a complex issue and there has been time we have both not gotten back to each other, and for that I do sincerely apologize. Please rest assured this is being taken seriously, it's just one of those issues that is clearly taking a fair bit of back and forth. That is the nature of the forum. One thing I did not cover was making sure you have your dip switches set to line and not phono. Can you let me know that you've definitely done this please?
ollebe 3:50 PM - 29 November, 2012
Hi Mathew,

I do appreciate your thoughtful reply.

Dip switches are all set to Line.

best, O
ollebe 4:18 PM - 29 November, 2012
other things that maybe i should mention:

the last version that worked 100 % for me was 2.4.1 (i ran snow leopard then)

serato.com

at some point later this year i remember formatting my computer. installed a new osx, i think it was 10.7 Lion.

a month ago or so i formatted my computer again in hope to get rid of this problem.
installed mountain lion 10.8 and the latest serato build. problem remains.

best, O
browny 8:22 PM - 29 November, 2012
Are you saying that if you load the same two tracks in to deck 1 and deck 2 and play them in time at the exact same pitch they drift? If so why not try Hid mode just too check?
browny 8:23 PM - 29 November, 2012
I'm saying this because I haven't read anywhere in your thread that you have checked by playing the same tracks at the same pitch on both decks.
ollebe 5:42 PM - 30 November, 2012
i'm not saying that.

i'm saying that there's a weird drift problem going on here.

when i've found the right pitch value for track b to line it up with track a it should sit in the mix for quite some time. 15-30 seconds. even more. ok. so why don't i just change the pitch setting up or down a step?

this would just make the track drift even further or one step back.
meaning i'm not able to correct the pitch to get the tracks beatmatched. i have to jog constantly in order to keep the tracks aligned.
browny 6:34 PM - 30 November, 2012
How do you know you have them pitched correctly if they drift! While your trying to beat match the tracks must still be drifting so how do you know your at the correct pitch? The simple test is load the same too tracks on deck a and deck b and set the pitch on 0% exactly and then play them at the same time, other than abit of fazing it should sound fine and stay locked
ollebe 7:17 PM - 30 November, 2012
man, seriously.

i pitch the tracks correctly, even if move the pitch either way it's not possible to lock them.
serato got 0.1 decimal pitch. let's say track is 120.00 and track b 122.00. so i put the track to 120.00. should be locked there. not working. i try 120.1, not locked. 119.9 not locked. 120.2 not locked.............

if you read the complete thread, it's quite clearly stated that i haven't had this ISSUE always.
i know how serato should work.

if i play normal cd:s / vinyl they lock. there' something bugging with the hardware or the software when i use serato.
ollebe 7:20 PM - 30 November, 2012
that's why this thread is called "weird drift problem". when the tracks in fact should be locked, they're not.
browny 8:55 PM - 30 November, 2012
So why not try what people sujest!! I have read the whole tread and you don't describe it that well, neither have you tryed two of the same tracks or HID mode! That might help serato help you! I personally would ignore what the bpm says and try the same tracks
browny 9:00 PM - 30 November, 2012
No need to get nasty to people trying to help
ollebe 9:12 PM - 30 November, 2012
"How do you know you have them pitched correctly if they drift!"

choose your words better man, if you want a friendly response.

i can't try HID mode, since i don't have my cdj 900:s anymore.
all clubs / friends here have 1000 / 800 players. so testing hid mode is out of the question.

haven't asked for anyone's help besides the serato team.
browny 12:56 AM - 1 December, 2012
No need to be rude to anyone.
ollebe 11:48 AM - 3 December, 2012
ordered a new box yesterday. rane sl 2.

let's see if the problem still exists then. 'll let u know as soon as i get it.