DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Getting old and New to SSL

djgrandpa 8:55 AM - 11 November, 2005
Hi all
I am about to receive SSL and was wondering if anyone out there had some tips for a 39 year old fool with a midlife prob?
I have mixed and cut since 1983. I stopped in 1995 and am now getting back into it. My back is shot so no carrying of record crates, loads of mp3's though. Any advise would be appreciated.
Seeee Yaaaaaaa
djgrandpa
sygboe 2:09 PM - 11 November, 2005
get an upto date mixer, and polish up those skills again.
Thebasementwonder 2:36 PM - 11 November, 2005
dude i am 3 so i feel ya on this. If u been spinning in your place just for fun u should have any problems in getting back in the game. Just hit the clubs so u can feel the envirment and no whats out there. if u have stuff on cd's then that will be easy for yea to rip
djgrandpa 10:17 PM - 11 November, 2005
Thanks for that. Mixer is Vetax PMC-06 ProA. I don't like all those buttons and stuff, all I need is a cross-fader.
Peace.
DJGrandpa
tsalyards 6:02 PM - 12 November, 2005
What kind of music are you interested in playing, Dj Gramps? What kind of audience? Are you looking to have sex with 21 year old girls? Where do you live?

All of these factors will help us tell you what kind of music you should play in order to get laid.

Still, a new mixer is a lot cheaper than a Ferrari, so props on chosing a relatively cheap mid-life crisis. Just don't get into blow. That's really expensive ;)

-Tad
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:48 PM - 12 November, 2005
thread of the year!
sixxx 8:06 PM - 12 November, 2005
djgrandpa, what kind of tips do you need?
Thebasementwonder 12:42 AM - 13 November, 2005
hes 3yrs old then me. pop's will do fine hes been spinnin before once u have it never goes away. i stopped for 6yrs but spinn the dungeon of the basement and came out of retirement with finalsctach but got honors with SSL

hows that jack
djgrandpa 10:58 AM - 14 November, 2005
Hi Guys, Im back. New Ibook G4 1024meg ram,250 gig hd(external) and it goes like the clappers. Still waiting on my SSL. In the meantime converting old 12inch to MP3 with tracks such as DJ Flex and the FBI crew, I am going to play old school electro and of course Captain Rock, egyptian Lover, Curtis Blow playing basketball and Newcleus. Most likely I wont pull any crowds, but hey as long as I enjoy myself. I am 3xDMC champion and way out of touch, hence I asked for advice. No I am not after 21 year old girls as my daughter is nearly that age and the thought is revolting. If you asked me that 20 years ago I would jump at it.
Thanks again and I am glad some think this should be thread of the year. By the way, I was on stage with mix master mike when he toured and he blew me away with his use of SSL. I can't wait.
SEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL
Peace
Thebasementwonder 3:41 PM - 14 November, 2005
grandpa

dont worry i amd 35yr still spinning. Your spinning my stuff. U cant forget Globe and the Wiz kid "play That Beat" just go the clubs and chk the scene and get a feel also ask question plus 3x dmc champ i dont think u will have any problem at all

holla if u need help
panchito 8:54 PM - 14 November, 2005
your going to love SSl, I've had it for less than a week & already did a gig with relatively no problems. I'm 2 years younger than you It sounds like we started djing @ about the same time back in the day, I stopped in the early 90's but had been mixing as a hobby for the last 7 years, the last couple with only a dual cd player. But now with SSL I can rock the 1's & 2's again (I had almost forgot how much fun it was to use turntables) any way welcome & good luck
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:44 PM - 14 November, 2005
1968...ummm...hmmm... i guess i'm about panchito's age, 2 yrs younger than djgramps, and 2 years older than basementwonder.

i too have been in retirement but eversince this whole digital dj stuff with use of turntables and wax control records, i too have come out of retirement.

as for cd players and keyboard button mixing, i never got the hang of it...kinda like how easy it is to draft a sketch with a pencil and paper, but it's kinda hard (for us older folks) to do the same on a computer just as swiftly. (does that make sense? :)

btw, who is Captain Rock?

since we're all getn' nostalgic (oldschool electro planet beat 120bpm)
how bout that song 'what people do for money', or Uncle Jams Army, or 'Planet Doesnt mind', or 'and the beat goes onnnnn', or hashim's 'we're rockin the planet'......wikki wikki wikki wikki, well check this out!
panchito 10:33 PM - 14 November, 2005
since we're all getn' nostalgic (oldschool electro planet beat 120bpm)
how bout that song 'what people do for money', or Uncle Jams Army, or 'Planet Doesnt mind', or 'and the beat goes onnnnn', or hashim's 'we're rockin the planet'......wikki wikki wikki wikki, well check this out!

YEA! thats what I'm talking about, you guys are speaking my language,

do you remember jive rythm trax 122bpm, or pretty tony fix it in the mix, or electric kingdom.

I have a couple of dj freinds that are in theire 20's & are always hitting me up asking for names of old school jams, or they trip when a new song comes out with samples of old stuff & I break out with the original song & say see this is where it came from.
Thebasementwonder 10:47 PM - 14 November, 2005
guys it seems like we have a club here i think we jam 2gether
DJ MDX 11:20 PM - 14 November, 2005
Dont forget Trinere and Friends....that album was the shit.

Go ahead and throw "Numbers" in that mix as well.

"There ain't a problem I can fix, I just fix it in the mix!"

A Fly Girl
Jealous Fellas
Clear
Play At Your Own Risk
Rockit
Siberian Nights
& many more.

Man I love all those old jams...some are very hard to find now.

BTW...."Captain Rock" was a song by The Pure
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:08 AM - 15 November, 2005
say yeahhhhhhh boy......'yeah, boy'

man, i play rodney o & mc shy d at every gig (even if people give that look 'man, thats too old')

i got every song that is mentioned so far on wax (except the Pure 'captain rock' song...how does it sound?)

other jams i play religiously is 'shake your pants' by cameo & 'supersonic' by jj fad (blend well into 'how bizzare' by ummm i forget the artist...btw, you gotta pitch the tempo down, way down)

HA!, how bout that song by orange juice 'i saw you' and that song 'get a little stupid and PUMP THAT BAAAASSSS'
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:12 AM - 15 November, 2005
Clear & Play At Your Own Risk...man MDX...those were my main popping jams together with ET-phone home, scorpio, we are the jonzun crew (i remember when the vice principle of my junior high took my boombox away during lunch break...right in a middle of a battle)
Thebasementwonder 2:38 AM - 15 November, 2005
who sings that track ET that was the shit. I remember i have box full of mix tapes from WBLS days and KISS FM Dj Chuck Chill Out
DJ MDX 4:15 AM - 15 November, 2005
Quote:
i got every song that is mentioned so far on wax (except the Pure 'captain rock' song...how does it sound?)

I will see if I can find a sample for you

Quote:
HA!, how bout that song by orange juice 'i saw you' and that song 'get a little stupid and PUMP THAT BAAAASSSS'

Yeah Oran "Juice" Jones - The Rain.....had me laughing my ass off..with the following lines:

"You gotta get on outta here
with that alley-cat-coat-wearing,
punch-bucket-shoe-wearing crumbcake I saw you with.
Cause youdismissed!
That's right, Silly rabbit,
tricks are made for kids, don't you know that.
You without me is like corn flakes without the milk!
This is my world.
You're just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
Now get on outta here.
Scat! Don't touch that coat..."
DJ Unique 5:27 AM - 15 November, 2005
ET Phone home is by "Extra T's" and the actual name of the track is "E.T. Boogie" 1982 Sunnyview Records

Here are some other break-dancing tracks:
West Street Mob - Break Dance / Electric Boogie
Man Parrish - Hip Hop Be Bop
Hashim - Al Naafish
Timezone - The Wildstyle
Art of Noise - Beatbox
I R T - What the Closing Doors (instrumental only)
Warp 9 - Nunk
Manu Dubango - Soul Makoosa (instrumental only)

And for the pop-lock dancers:
Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock
Orbit - The Beat Goes On
Kraftwerk - Tour De France
Tom Browne - Rockin' Radio
Garret's Crew - Nasty Rock

For the scratch DJ's a must have original 12"
Fab 5 Freddy - Change the Beat

By the way, I found some Captain Rock tracks:
Cosmic Glide & The Return of Captain Rock
Both are from NIA Records

Been DJ'ing in L.A. clubs since 1984 (just for fun). I get paid for doing it though. Started with 80's underground Disco, Electro funk, Break Dancing and New Wave Rock now classified as Flashback. Late 80's and 90's moved on to House. Got bored so I started experimenting with Latin Music mainly Salsa / Merengue. Well time sure flies. I am currently playing in a Latin club mainly catering to a South American crowd. I play a lot of Reggaeton, Salsa and Merengue with some Trance, Hip Hop and Spanish Pop/Rock. I do miss playing that old music on vinyl. I still have my original 1200's from the 80's. I currently use CD's but plan on implementing Serato in the mix. I've had it for a couple of months but I am trying to clean up all my corrupted MP3's before I use it live. I will probably use WAV's though.

regards

PS - Check out the club I DJ at.
www.clubterapia.com
djgrandpa 5:39 AM - 15 November, 2005
Back again
My list will go something like this:
Heaps of 2 Live Crew
DefJef
Koel Moe Dee
Whodini
UTFO
Fat Boys
Shy D
Dj Smurf
Mantronix
With a little bit of Herbie Hancock, T LA Rock, The Egyptian Lover, Davy DMX, Hashim and the list can go on for hours instead of pages.
I forgot to mention K9 Corp, Captain Rapp, Uncle jams Army, Unknown DJ etc.........
Love, Peace and Hair Grease
Seeee Yaaaaaaa
DJGPA
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:29 AM - 15 November, 2005
renegades of funk
lookn for the perfect beat
space is the place
planet rock
space cowboy
my cosmic car (i forget the artist....very strange song)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:34 AM - 15 November, 2005
Quote:
do you remember jive rythm trax 122bpm

man i wish i held on to that record... the rest of the tracks were like ....eh (i remember it was a blue label and cover...i forget how that song went...i remember it was hella bad...bad as in good :)
panchito 6:43 PM - 15 November, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

man i wish i held on to that record... the rest of the tracks were like ....eh (i remember it was a blue label and cover...i forget how that song went...i remember it was hella bad...bad as in good :)

yea thats the one & your right that was the only real good track on the record it was all instrumental & it had that kraftwerk numbers type of sound to it in compton we used to do a please mr. postman remix with it & then blend in planet rock instrumental or something like that.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:43 PM - 15 November, 2005
ha! it's funny, cause just be reading your mix, i can actually already hear it in my head...that's wierd.
DJ MDX 9:38 PM - 15 November, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

Some one stole my Numbers record ....I rememeber it had the green cover on it and it was a 10" instead of 12".

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

s64.yousendit.com
DJ MDX 10:27 PM - 15 November, 2005
oh and "Numbers" was also at 45rpm....lol.... Memories ;-)
panchito 10:38 PM - 15 November, 2005
thanks DJ DMX you da man!
panchito 10:39 PM - 15 November, 2005
oops sorry we need an edit feature on this forum
I ment thanks DJ MDX
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:50 PM - 15 November, 2005
go to the 2:32 minute mark.....that's my favorite part...i remember back in the day when i was a skinny little kid and day dream that part was extended....now, light years later.... all i have to do now is edit in soundforge (clip out 4 bars) and set ssl to loop/repeat!

thanks MDX ;) btw...do you own an Acura suv?

www.acura.com
DJ MDX 4:18 AM - 16 November, 2005
No problem guys...glad you enjoyed it.

lol...not I don't own an Acura MDX....but I should,huh?

I do own an Integra and a TL from Acura and a 4x4 Extended Cab Diesel F250 Lariat from Ford...lol

Enjoy the music and enjoy life!!!!