DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

QSC KW152 Help/Question

MikeyTee 11:14 PM - 29 July, 2012
Hey guys I do have a question for ya and maybe you can help before I head back over to guitar center. I have a pair of QSC KW152's and one is giving me issues. Never experienced this before with any other speaker.

Picture doing a gig and you have both speaker gains set at 50% or 12 oclock. I dont use a sub so I have bass boost enabled. As I start to raise the volume following dinner I start hearing my left speaker shut off then back on 3 seconds later. Thinking its my imagination I go on and it does it again about 10 seconds later. I go over and monitor the speaker standing next to it and the Limit light is popping on and the speaker is shutting off. At that point on my left speaker only I shut off the bass boost. Customers ask for more volume so I go louder. Once again my Left speaker starts shutting off. Curiosity strikes so I check right speaker. Running perfect still with bass boost on. So I go back to the left speaker and now cut the gain down to 25%. Ok its running fine again. They ask for more volume so I give em what they want. Pissing me off the speaker shuts off again. Now mind you the other speaker still at 50% with boost. I cut it back to 10% and turn it up a little more. Speaker with boost still running perfect and NOT illuminating the limit light.

What I have checked so far.

Fan running and amp not getting hot.
Replaced XLR
Also tried running the speaker with RCA's
Replaced Power Cable

This speaker sounds great at low volume, still has plenty of bass without distortion but just pops the limit light and shuts off and mid level volume. Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what this could possibly be. No I did not purchase extended warranty like a jackass.
DJ GOOK 12:09 AM - 30 July, 2012
put the limiter on then see whats happen also take it off of boost and set it to normal
MikeyTee 12:10 AM - 30 July, 2012
I tried With Boost on , also Normal mode, and even had it pop on Ext sub mode.
DjCity 1:43 AM - 30 July, 2012
I seem to have fryed a KW181 so I feel your pain.

The funny (but not funny at all) thing is that the other 181 works just fine. I'm PISSED because I got no limiter light, no peaking, no thermal shutdown, no nothing. Just BASS then Silence.
Beta 9:56 PM - 30 July, 2012
Call QSC give them your Serial. That happen to a K-12 of mine. turned out the Power Supply had a recall. Fixed it no problem. They are in Costa Mesa Southern Cali not sure where you are at.
MikeyTee 9:57 PM - 30 July, 2012
Thanks Beta. Actually called them this morning. Turns out my amp module is bad. Goin in for repair tomorrow. Covered under warranty. Woop Woop
Beta 10:03 PM - 30 July, 2012
Yeah they are the best! replaced all 8 power supplies cuz they fell under a quality control program. Even ones that were still working!
Love QSC been with them since the 4 space USA amps!! old school.
DjCity 11:59 PM - 30 July, 2012
My KW181 has a defective magnet. They are fixing it under warranty.
MikeyTee 12:46 AM - 31 July, 2012
And that folks is why we buy QSC.
DJ C REELZ 5:49 AM - 15 April, 2013
I'm having the same issues with one if my kw 152. Happen to me at a wedding. Just shutting off then coming back on three secs later. I had to back mine down.
MikeyTee 3:56 PM - 15 April, 2013
Turned out I had a bad amp module. Was replaced under warranty
DJ C REELZ 4:42 PM - 15 April, 2013
Well I think might have a bad XLR cable. I quite frequently switch out my cables during each event the issue does not happen all the time. I figured it was something consistent it would happen all the time no matter what source I use of cables. I spoke with a tech from qsc. he thought it might be a cable is well