DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

creative block!

eagsbfd 5:38 PM - 26 July, 2012
I have been trying to figure out a way to incorporate the bridge into my work... I mostly do mobile gigs, weddings, dances etc. I just don't know what to load in ableton for these type events. I have my system set to run with my apc40 controlling ableton.. Do I load disco drums? samples? drops? advice welcome!
phatbob 5:55 PM - 26 July, 2012
From my experience, at that type of event nobody wants to hear you dropping loops or samples over their favourite songs. I would have to suggest you don't bother, to be honest.

Save the Bridge for the club or making cool mixes to put out.
eagsbfd 6:01 PM - 26 July, 2012
yeah probably true.. just a thought..
phatbob 6:16 PM - 26 July, 2012
The Bridge is an awesome creative tool, for sure. But a wedding is not the place to be getting creative... ;-)
DJ_Simple 11:06 PM - 4 September, 2012
I agree with Phatbob, you don't want to do that at weddings. Work on making your own original tracks using ableton/serato/the bridge and put out mixtapes or try playing parties/clubs that are set up for DJs to be creative that will give you that freedom to play around with all that. I personally have played some live remixes and mashups at weddings but its only because the people hired me because they know I do those things. But I also do it very sparingly. Phatbob is right most people at weddings will ask you for a song and when you play it they want to hear what they asked for.
Frank Spinatra 12:10 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Phatbob is right most people at weddings will ask you for a song and when you play it they want to hear what they asked for.

And that's why we charge more for mobile gigs. *smirk Feels more like work, less like art.