DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SL 1 and Stanton T.80

hax92u 12:13 AM - 26 July, 2012
Hi guys, i was wondering if someone could help me out. I've recently purchased SL1, and after a week of usage, something wrong has happened. Everything is hooked thru LINE not PHONO, all the correct connections are made, as well I've even changed the needle on the turntable to a Shure M44 scratch cartridge. After hours of trial and error, i simply cannot get my right turntable deck to work. In serato, while the box is hooked up, my deck shows a flat green line all the time, even after adjusting the weight. While the other deck has a perfect green circle, no matter what i do to the right turntable deck, I still can't get a proper connection. Could someone help me out? and if more information is required, id be happy to provide it! Thank you guys!
Dj MacMillz 12:20 AM - 26 July, 2012
Check to rca connections (flip them, swap em out) and also check the headshell connections, make sure they are clean.
hax92u 12:53 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:
Check to rca connections (flip them, swap em out) and also check the headshell connections, make sure they are clean.

Thanks for your response! I've flipped them, swapped them, changed them, nothing :(
DJ Sparky Killabrew 1:01 AM - 26 July, 2012
I think a flat line is a bad connection in one of the four wires connecting the cartridge to the headshell. Try gently wiggling the wires. The manual has pics of diff problems and what the deck will look like.
DJ Sparky Killabrew 1:03 AM - 26 July, 2012
Vertical line= left channel missing Horizontal line= right channel missing
DJ NewYork 1:03 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:

+1 you have to check every connection starting from headshell connection itself down to the SL1 RCA out cables into the mixer. FYI a flat line means either a Left or Right channel is missing or even mono somewhere. I use the scope diagnoses it helps to find your problem faster serato.com
hax92u 1:10 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:
I think a flat line is a bad connection in one of the four wires connecting the cartridge to the headshell. Try gently wiggling the wires. The manual has pics of diff problems and what the deck will look like.

Quote:
Vertical line= left channel missing Horizontal line= right channel missing

Quote:
Quote:

+1 you have to check every connection starting from headshell connection itself down to the SL1 RCA out cables into the mixer. FYI a flat line means either a Left or Right channel is missing or even mono somewhere. I use the scope diagnoses it helps to find your problem faster serato.com

Dam, this forum rocks. I am getting the flat lined scope view, so it should be a left or right channel. Does anyone think this could be a problem with the turntables i'm using?
djbanno 1:12 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:
check the headshell connections, make sure they are clean.

Try unscrewing the headshell cartridge from the tonearm and give the little contacts a clean with an alcohol wipe or something similar...
DJ Sparky Killabrew 1:13 AM - 26 July, 2012
Could be an rca cable. Happened to me before. Had to wiggle it to get it to work, so I got new cables.
hax92u 1:19 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:

I thought the flat line was that too. According to the scope diagram, i'm missing my right channel. BUT, my RCA has been changed, my headshell and cartridge are literally hours from being brand new (technics with shure m44), and my tonearm weight is close to perfect. I still dont understand, i even changed the timecode vinyls, but still no response. Im going to clean the contacts, but otherwise nothing :(
Dj MacMillz 1:29 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:

I thought the flat line was that too. According to the scope diagram, i'm missing my right channel. BUT, my RCA has been changed, my headshell and cartridge are literally hours from being brand new (technics with shure m44), and my tonearm weight is close to perfect. I still dont understand, i even changed the timecode vinyls, but still no response. Im going to clean the contacts, but otherwise nothing :(

It's probably a cross with the wires connecting the headshell to the cartridge, check those
hax92u 1:33 AM - 26 July, 2012
If i'm correct, the left side should have white and blue, and the right side should have red and green. The headshell and the cartridge were preassembled by shure, all i did was attach it to my turntable. Im so confused!!
Dj MacMillz 1:36 AM - 26 July, 2012
Ok, so if it came pre-assembled, don't bother messing with it, remove the headshell from the tonearm, take a q-tip dab it in some alcohol (rubbing) and gently wipe the contacts (4 lil beads on the headshell), the swab it around in the tonearm (think ear cleaning)
Dj MacMillz 1:40 AM - 26 July, 2012
To add, have you checked the ground wire?? does the problem follow the deck or is it just 1 channel?

Try switching the problem deck input on the SL1 to the other input, see if the problem stays or if it's fixed.
Dj MacMillz 1:40 AM - 26 July, 2012
Just found a similar post: serato.com
hax92u 1:43 AM - 26 July, 2012
Quote:
Ok, so if it came pre-assembled, don't bother messing with it, remove the headshell from the tonearm, take a q-tip dab it in some alcohol (rubbing) and gently wipe the contacts (4 lil beads on the headshell), the swab it around in the tonearm (think ear cleaning)

I was just about to say, i finished cleaning both the tone arm connectors and the headshell connectors with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. It made a difference :), im now getting 4 percent quality, but the line has turned into a very slim oval (very slim)
Dj MacMillz 1:47 AM - 26 July, 2012
Making progress, so we are on the right track.

How old are the TT's? The Carts are new (or damn near)correct?
hax92u 2:00 AM - 26 July, 2012
Guys, So far 100 percent fixed :) I love you all hahahah, legitly saved my ass guys
DJ NewYork 2:06 AM - 26 July, 2012
Glad to hear you fixed it. Just curious which part was the problem you've corrected?
Dj MacMillz 2:07 AM - 26 July, 2012
Glad we can help man.
djbanno 10:05 AM - 26 July, 2012
Nice one :)
Throw that one in the memory banks mate; most of my calibration probs are related to exactly this (I take my carts of my TT's whenever I move them)