DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Where do you buy/download older songs (funk, soul, disco, hip-hop, 80s, 90s)?

AlanShapiro 6:24 AM - 25 July, 2012
Where can a digital dj buy or download older songs that are good quality? When I say older I mean music from the 70's to the early 2000's.

Thanks.
phatbob 7:12 AM - 25 July, 2012
iTunes.

256k aac is equivalent to 320k mp3 so they sound fine.

There is nowhere to buy stuff like that lossless unless you get CDs and rip them, so iTunes is as good as you'll get digitally.

Although with the price of used CDs now, if you're trying to build a collection it would probably be cheaper to buy a stack of compilation CDs off amazon or eBay and rip them yourself. You can get whole albums for the price of one or two digital tracks.
Mr. Goodkat 8:33 AM - 25 July, 2012
Quote:
iTunes.

256k aac is equivalent to 320k mp3 so they sound fine.

There is nowhere to buy stuff like that lossless unless you get CDs and rip them, so iTunes is as good as you'll get digitally.

Although with the price of used CDs now, if you're trying to build a collection it would probably be cheaper to buy a stack of compilation CDs off amazon or eBay and rip them yourself. You can get whole albums for the price of one or two digital tracks.

what he said. preview on itunes/mp3 sites, buy on amazon, resell at used cd places. better rips and if you have 2 comps (i have a master imac, use mbp) put a master wav or aiff copy on your master.
DJ Benny B NYC 1:46 PM - 25 July, 2012
i like amazon.
DJPrice_inMD 1:56 PM - 25 July, 2012
I like iTunes alot simply because I use iTunes Match to keep everything backed up and I don't have to think about it.
jmlbrns45 4:11 PM - 31 August, 2012
FRANCHISE RECORD POOL IS A GREAT POOL IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 80s 90s OLD SCHOOL IN THE DIGGIN IN THE CRATES SECTION
jmlbrns45 4:11 PM - 31 August, 2012
DJ DisGrace 4:23 PM - 31 August, 2012
Quote:
FRANCHISE RECORD POOL IS A GREAT POOL IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 80s 90s OLD SCHOOL IN THE DIGGIN IN THE CRATES SECTION

all the staff yell just like Flex too
jmlbrns45 4:42 PM - 31 August, 2012
that is how flex sounds lol
DJTonySchwartz 9:44 PM - 6 September, 2012
I use BarBangerz.com
Daktyl 10:22 AM - 7 September, 2012
7digital.com and used cd's at my local record store