DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cleaning A 57 faders with wd40

Dj Roth 9:04 AM - 18 July, 2012
Hi, just got my 57, ita great but the faders are stiff cuz it never been used.
I have a wd40 oil in my house and i wanted to ask if its ok to clean them with it.
I will get the f100l but it will take some time ti get it and i have a gig tonight so i need a quick clean.
Thanks ;)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:48 PM - 18 July, 2012
I wouldn't use WD40. You're better off cleaning the rails really good with rubbing alcohol and not applying lube than using WD40.

If you can find sewing machine oil, it will work OK until you can get a hold of DeoxIT F5 (5% spray) or the F100L (I prefer the F5 personally).
citi 6:16 PM - 18 July, 2012
Do you have a Radio Shack nearby? They have Deoxit Gold there.
Dj Roth 6:54 PM - 18 July, 2012
No Radio shack here, and no alcohol neither, will survive the night with the faders, hope the caig will come soon as its super stiff. thanks =]
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:29 PM - 18 July, 2012
I guess a small amount of WD40 sprayed onto a rag and used for cleaning wouldn't hurt.
Dj Roth 3:12 AM - 19 July, 2012
i dont think ill take that chance, people says it leaves a thin oil layer after a while and it can get worse.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:48 PM - 19 July, 2012
Sounds good :)
Niro 11:28 PM - 19 July, 2012
Best thing to do if you don't have lube is to clean and polish the rails with newspaper.
wicked223 1:25 AM - 20 July, 2012
Try the spring mod also.
Dj Roth 12:53 PM - 21 July, 2012
I cleaned the faders with ear swabs and got lots of black out of there but its still stiff, ill try the newspaper thing but the thing is i dont have the screwdriver for the faders cuz their stuck really good, ill just wait for the lube, thanks ;)
Ulrich von Hurtem 1:49 AM - 23 July, 2012
DeoxIT ain't cheap, and you may have to mail order it, but there really is no substitute. Plus, it lasts a long time. My can of DeoxIT is so old, it's labeled CaiLube.

From the MP22 I had in the '90s to the TTM54i I still use, Rane manuals have always specified Deoxit.

I wouldn't let WD40 anywhere near my audio gear. Fine for removing sticker goo, and dispersing water from distributor caps. My friends fader was ruined after repeated WD40 use. How much of the blame belongs to the WD40, we'll never know.
Dj Roth 3:18 AM - 24 July, 2012
just lubed it with the caig, works like a charm.
thanks =]
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:23 PM - 24 July, 2012
Awesome! Glad to hear all is well :)
IAMDJDK 7:11 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I guess a small amount of WD40 sprayed onto a rag and used for cleaning wouldn't hurt.

I would use a rag but a qtip. Even with Deoxit I use a qtip.