DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

debating a new direction.... I.E. SL2-3 instead of ttm57sl?

endever 7:21 AM - 13 July, 2012
So I have a ttm57sl that I have been battling with over the last two years. The newer updates on my PC yield zero benefit and reduce stability. I have a thread on PC optimization that has made my PC run with the 2.3.1 version quite well, but renders the computer useless otherwise. This is of course to get maximum performance from the mixer and software. I can currently run at a buffer setting of 2 with acceptable stability, but I must have all FX and other such amenities turned off. I also must still have the computer set up as a paper weight. I even upgraded to an SSD in the computer. This helped a little, but not enough to keep the thing from being a paper weight.

So the debate......... I understand that the TTM57sl is basically an SL1 box inside of the mixer. It utilizes a USB-1.1 interface that has flaws when ran with a PC's. The SL2 + all have USB-2.0 and should yield better performance with a PC? Would running an SL 2/3/4 free up the performance I'm looking for to allow full usage of the computer? If it's not much better than we go to options....

The options............ Keep my current puter and use an SL2/3/4 interface along with the TTM57sl

Get a MAC. I basically hear that a well suited mac will run with zero issues at very low buffer settings without having to turn off every feature in the book?

ORRRRRRR sell my TTM57sl while I can still get a good price for it and get a rane SIXTY ONE for a small investment?

The SIXTY ONE will not scroll crates and tracks but that is something I can deal with. I would rather keep my PC and make it work with the TTM57, but I would consider other options....

The question in the debate is, am I better off just getting the newer products ( SL unit / SIXTY ONE ), or will a MAC truly solve all my problems with the TTM57sl? I really like the mixer, but am tired of having a paper weight computer and experimenting with the different serato versions.
wicked223 11:37 AM - 13 July, 2012
I was having this debate myself before I bought my 62. Although my older pc worked well with my 57 I saw newer pcs were having issues that will never be addressed. Because of the 1.1.

If I had it to do over again I would have kept my 57 for another year or so and bought a used mac.
wicked223 11:45 AM - 13 July, 2012
I ended up selling my 57 for 900 dollars and bought a new 62 for 1800. Which works with my older pc too but I can tell the 62 is more cpu intensive then my 57.

If you have problems with your pc now on a 57 the new mixer option will not help you. Without a new laptop I don't think.

So basically I paid 900 out of pocket. Which was cheaper then buying a brand new mac. But I still need to get a new laptop eventually, and to be honest I liked the feel of the 57 better.
WarpNote 12:11 PM - 13 July, 2012
If I owned the 57, I would definitively get a mac. I switched from PC to mac about 4 years ago, and there is a huge difference. I run my mac with SL1, SL4 and 68. The Rane support team all run macs, and they recommend macs, for a reason....
WarpNote 12:12 PM - 13 July, 2012
Also if, getting a regular mbp (non retina), you can pop that SSD right in...
WarpNote 12:17 PM - 13 July, 2012
So basically if the choice is between getting a 61 or a mac, Id say get the mac.
Then maybe 2 years down the line, if you get tired of the 57, switch for the 62.
(or anything new in the meantime from rane)

My SL1, SL4 and 68 are equally cpu intense on all my systems (I have 2 macs, 2 pcs)
Obviously when running 3 or 4 decks, adding the bridge & video, things get tougher.
endever 6:04 PM - 13 July, 2012
Thanks for the insight guys!!!!! It is confirming what I ultimately thought. That a MAC is the answer to my problems.
WarpNote 7:17 PM - 13 July, 2012
Maybe not ALL your problems, but sure works well with ScratchLive.
And for regular djing, (no video, no bridge) a base 13" model is all you need.
XRM5 3:45 PM - 17 July, 2012
And it might have to be a used mac, because the newest processors for the last year or so were having trouble. Maybe they fixed that though?

And in regard to scrolling tracks etc, the Denon MIDI controller for SL works better than anything Rane has ever come up with.
WarpNote 4:21 PM - 17 July, 2012
XRM5, thats not correct, the i7 works with both new and old Rane hardware....
And honestly, I dont see much difference in using the hc1000 compared to the 68 when scrolling for tracks, I have both....
XRM5 5:04 PM - 17 July, 2012
That's good news about the i7. I haven't paid attention to that since it came up last year.

And yeah, not much is required for scrolling & loading, but the HC1000 gives you so many more straightforward controls on top of that in a size you can take anywhere & use with anything.
WarpNote 7:18 PM - 17 July, 2012
Yeah, Ive used the HC1000S since release, great little controller!
endever 9:17 PM - 17 July, 2012
Well I went ahead and got a MAC. Gotta say it's the answer. It is well over minimum spec and can handle serato with ease. It is nice to be able to have a computer that can actually do other things than run SL!!!!! I can have Airport, bluetooth and every other app running and still run SL at full performance settings. The best part...........no drop outs!!!! Not that windows sucks at all, but there is a place for everything. Now at least I have one screaming fast windows computer to run all my other stuff and a MAC to run SL. Thanks for all the feedback.
pdidy 12:00 AM - 18 July, 2012
Quote:
Now at least I have one screaming fast windows computer to run all my other stuff and a MAC to run SL.

Are you aware Macs are DESIGNED to also run Windows xp,vista,win7 and linux all on the same mac. You can run them individually or at the same dam time on a mac, NO hacking required.
endever 7:02 AM - 18 July, 2012
Yes I am aware, but my current Windows laptop is much faster than the MAC partition would be. My Windows PC is a screamer!!!! 15 second boot times with all applications running is not bad. It performs very well for all my other needs, just not SL. Now I have two power houses; each for their own application.

I would say that MAC is the better buy. The newer gen MAC's come with fast processors and can be set up to run as a screamer with the hybrid SSD/HDD available today. You could set up the SSD as the boot partition and have the fast WIndows you've always wanted and still have a MAC for the other stuff. In my case it was cheaper to buy a used MAC and keep my other PC.