DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Red Bull Thre3Style 2012 US National Finals Winner!

DJ Tecniq 10:13 PM - 7 July, 2012
This mix I thought was pretty incredible. Surely much planning went into it. But if you haven't heard of him I suggest you listen to it.

This mix was recorded live at Red Bull Thre3style US Finals in Orlando, FL at "The Groove @ Universal City Walk. Red Bull Thre3style is a DJ contest that promises to be a night of dance floor mayhem. The participants have to play a selection of at least three genres or styles of music in 15 minutes. It doesn't matter what genres of music are chosen so long as the DJ can make them work together.

1st Place - DJ Four Color Zack
www.mixcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 10:15 PM - 7 July, 2012
Out of all the US sets I listened to his was flawless it's no wonder why he got 1st. Never heard of him and now I'm a fan :)
DJ Tecniq 10:25 PM - 7 July, 2012
geeunot 11:08 PM - 8 July, 2012
Four Color Zack is a god! His set at Ruby Skye in SF was phenomenal!
Mike_P 11:22 PM - 8 July, 2012
Found out this year that the Redbull Threestyle is an invitation only battle. Fuck all that political bullshit.
Henry GQ 11:51 PM - 8 July, 2012
anyone have a video ?
geeunot 11:56 PM - 8 July, 2012
Quote:
Found out this year that the Redbull Threestyle is an invitation only battle. Fuck all that political bullshit.

Yeah, you gotta have a name for yourself and get invited somehow.
Henry GQ 12:06 AM - 9 July, 2012
yeah wow i love how he fuckin destroyed the other djs at the end. nicely done lol
Dj Shamann 12:29 AM - 9 July, 2012
HAHA at the Rattle/Debbie Deb

Quote:
yeah wow i love how he fuckin destroyed the other djs at the end. nicely done lol

LOL!
Jader 12:30 AM - 9 July, 2012
wow @ his when i hear music interpolation
djchope 1:10 AM - 9 July, 2012
LOTS OF POST PRODUCTION, not hating but good set
djdalite 3:21 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, you gotta have a name for yourself and get invited somehow.

Ya thats what happen to my homie, got an invite from the radio and he had to submit a mix
RaySwift 3:47 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:

Yea. Sounded like he was mixing a bunch of Crooklyn Clan joints. Nice set but I was expecting a mix of straight singles that blew my mind.
dj_soo 4:27 AM - 9 July, 2012
nice one - Four Color Jack is dope - only heard his tunes but I've heard he's a killer DJ...
SpareChange 4:33 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:

Exactly.

it's pretty much a joke...been trying to get in it for the last few years and they just won't budge...yet a lot of the invites are given to newbies and people with little experience..they've given me every excuse in the book "it's not for turntablists"(as if we don't rock parties as well) "your city isn't big enough to be represented" etc..one of my good friends won the US last year and he wasn't even able to get me in...it's ultimately about being friends with whoever the local red bull rep is in order to get in.

That mix sounded dope but I would have to agree it seems more like a production battle than a straight up mix off
dj_soo 4:35 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

it's pretty much a joke...been trying to get in it for the last few years and they just won't budge...yet a lot of the invites are given to newbies and people with little experience..they've given me every excuse in the book "it's not for turntablists"(as if we don't rock parties as well) "your city isn't big enough to be represented" etc..one of my good friends won the US last year and he wasn't even able to get me in...it's ultimately about being friends with whoever the local red bull rep is in order to get in.

That mix sounded dope but I would have to agree it seems more like a production battle than a straight up mix off

happens in my city too - usually about half the DJs in it are legit, but the other half that are invited often has me scratching my head and wondering about all the other hot shit djs that aren't invited...
DJ Tecniq 3:37 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Not exactly. I was going to compete but didn't hear about it in time. They had a free spot known as a "wildcard" which was also an oppurtunity to be a on-air mixer for 102 JAMZ in Orlando. However turns out the "Wildcard" who got a spot was actually affiliated with the radio station. Go Figure...You had to send a 15 min demo to the station with atleast 3 genres mixed in and they'd listen and pick who they wanted.
DJ Tecniq 3:44 PM - 9 July, 2012
^ I guess being picked from a radio station would consider a invite only anyway. So my bad
DJ Tecniq 3:45 PM - 9 July, 2012
LOL....listen to 2nd place. Fucking bonkers
www.mixcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 3:49 PM - 9 July, 2012
LMFAO! Don't ask me what this is..."It's a small world after all"
www.mixcloud.com
Mike_P 4:24 PM - 9 July, 2012
Don't get me wrong, there's definitely talent there. Dynamix (won LA last two years) is a BEAST! But I just don't understand these "exclusive battles." If it's really a battle, make it open to anyone who has enough talent to place.
Discobee 5:23 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yea. Sounded like he was mixing a bunch of Crooklyn Clan joints. Nice set but I was expecting a mix of straight singles that blew my mind.

Fourcolor Zack is from Seattle, WA. He is one of the most humble, nice-guy, under the radar DJs here; yet with a huge following. He is super-nice on the cuts and while his live set may have contained some pre-arranged segues and/or hype tracks (as most DJs will have in this battle), there is nothing post-production or Crooklyn-Clan'ish about it.

4CZ beat out many top DJs in several cities across the country during qualifying battles before making it to the finals in FL and winning the whole kit-n-kaboodle. This Red Bull battle is unlike the DMC, where mostly the skills is the highlight. In this series, DJs are judged more for their "party-rocking" sets, i.e. song selections, skill set and stage presence.

The ending part of 4CZ's set where he is talking to the other DJs in the battle about having a dick is likely him pulling out the fleshy two-headed dildo and taunting the other DJs with it; which garnered huge crowd response in the Seattle battle.

Regardless of what you think/feel about this type of party-rock style format of DJ battle (which is what battles are evolving to), 4CZ's rise and victory in this competition is something that us Seattle folks are very happy and proud of.
DJ DisGrace 5:34 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, there's definitely talent there. Dynamix (won LA last two years) is a BEAST! But I just don't understand these "exclusive battles." If it's really a battle, make it open to anyone who has enough talent to place.

I think RedBull is still trying to build up the battle, so is making sure that each elimination round has a real contender. For example, 2 yrs a go, I "competed" against a former 3-time Canadian DMC champ.... Guess who won, and went on to the Canadian, then world finals. Friends of mine in other cities had "last minute entries" from DMC finalists at their local Thre3style events also (even tho the DMC champs weren't actually from that city)

It's just RedBull's way of making sure the regional and national finals are entertaining and have some big names to draw spectators. Once the battle becomes it's own entity, I'd assume they will make it more "open".

I'd have to say that at this point, more average club goers know about RedBull than DMC.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:36 PM - 9 July, 2012
wait, four color zach..... he's from seattle yeah? I know we have one here.
Discobee 5:38 PM - 9 July, 2012
That be him Chad
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:54 PM - 9 July, 2012
wooty woot. That guy was a hard worker locally. I'm glad to see someone who has gone even bigger with their thing.
sacrilicious 6:32 PM - 9 July, 2012
He definitely has that routine stacked with his edits (and lots of cue points, too, it sounds) but that's one of his signatures as far as I know. The kid has a great ear for melody and interpolating different cuts.
djpuma_gemini 6:42 PM - 9 July, 2012
Seattle reppin.

He killed it and anyone hating is just mad
DJ Remy USA 7:07 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

happens in my city too - usually about half the DJs in it are legit, but the other half that are invited often has me scratching my head and wondering about all the other hot shit djs that aren't invited...

You know I wasnt going to comment but I know Sparechange got mad skills....but dont feel bad homie I couldnt get into the red bull battle in DC because of the politics of the game. Im not complaining but I know for a fact the dudes that competed this year couldnt hold a candle to me or some of the lesser known DJs who were in the crowd....not saying the DJs that represented were not good because some of them were really good. The majority were middle of the pack DJs that could blend one party break record after another with entry level type scratching. Hardly any trick mixing, word play, or interesting song sets......it was lame overall and i expected red bull to put on DJs that can really rock it but its politics

Oh yea and turntablist can rock parties
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:10 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
He definitely has that routine stacked with his edits (and lots of cue points, too, it sounds) but that's one of his signatures as far as I know. The kid has a great ear for melody and interpolating different cuts.

yeah, he did many mash up nights and open genres. The guy really had to understand the crowd and the nights he was involved with were always poppin off.
Dj Shamann 7:31 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
N, not hating but good set

I think you mean pre-production

Yeah it was there, but it's not a DMC battle and let's be honest, the DMCs nowadays are loaded with that shit too, just presented differently.
Dj Shamann 7:31 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote fail, I was quoting

Quote:
jprime 7:47 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

No shit....I saw the posters for the Vancouver Island finals and was like "huh....?"

Tried to email some people about how you get in....got no response. Makes sense now.
Mr. Goodkat 7:53 PM - 9 July, 2012
its weird, some of the redbull guys i hear just absolutely kill it and other cities it sounds terrible. i guess they cancelled the one in my city after doing 2 years in a row.
dj_soo 9:19 PM - 9 July, 2012
Hedspin, the eventual world champ last year is from my city - he's really goid and definitely deserves the accolades he's getting now...

But yea, some of the names invited over the years can barely mix a rum and coke let alone records but they get invited when some of the most talented guys get overlooked...
Eric N 3:33 PM - 10 July, 2012
Finally getting around to listening to this now, DAYUM. I'mma have to go see this guy mix.

I live in Seattle but haven't seen this kid play - dopeness for sure. 5:05-5:40 and 9:10-9:50 - LOVE the riff harmonies. The busts on the other DJs at the end were a nice touch too. When he first won the Seattle qualifier, everyone was talking about how he ran out in front of the turntables with a big fleshy dildo, waving it around at the other competitors during the "who want some dick" part lol.
DJ Remy USA 4:03 PM - 10 July, 2012
That set was dope as hell... I love the scratches dude got cuts for sure. Yea alot of it had pre production but it was still dope
DJ Remy USA 4:06 PM - 10 July, 2012
Very DJ AM esq but cuts where way better and I love the melodies he overlays very good stuff.
That Rattle to Lady Tigra was dope as hell
SpareChange 5:08 PM - 10 July, 2012
Quote:
everyone was talking about how he ran out in front of the turntables with a big fleshy dildo, waving it around at the other competitors during the "who want some dick" part lol.

sounds like Bad Boy Bill
DJDBAG 6:08 PM - 10 July, 2012
I would be way more impressed if the djs in these contests picked some different genres that would be a bit more unexpected
DJDBAG 6:14 PM - 10 July, 2012
the whole everybody dance now dubstep junk bored me so much i almost stopped the mix
DJDBAG 6:17 PM - 10 July, 2012
not saying i could do better, just would like to see something really creative that wasnt just dubstep hip hop and some rock
PopRoXxX 7:43 PM - 10 July, 2012
nice. mine was ok. didn't make the cut, but I'll share it here anyway --> soundcloud.com

now let the comments commence. lol!
PopRoXxX 7:54 PM - 10 July, 2012
P.S. - I only had 2 days to get it to 102 Jamz for the wild card slot. Found out at 9am 3 days before through a friend of mine who called me about it. So the planning part of it was cut VERY short. None the less, this is a result of not enough time but still I went for it :-P
Discobee 10:11 AM - 30 September, 2012
FourColorZack of Seattle won the WHOLE MA'A'FAKN THING! Best party rocker in THE WORLD for 2012!!
stephan mercury 11:51 AM - 30 September, 2012
not surprised as after listening to the sets, it was between him or Shub who both truely deserve it
sacrilicious 6:18 PM - 30 September, 2012
Quote:
not surprised as after listening to the sets, it was between him or Shub who both truely deserve it

Yeah I was frankly surprised by a few of them
djkurve 7:32 PM - 30 September, 2012
Quote:
its weird, some of the redbull guys i hear just absolutely kill it and other cities it sounds terrible. i guess they cancelled the one in my city after doing 2 years in a row.

Red Bull did the same in my city. So much talent in Pittsburgh...
bandoma 10:16 PM - 30 September, 2012
loving the skratching. this mix is sick! thanks for posting.
Discobee 11:33 PM - 30 September, 2012
All the dj's World Finals sets here

www.mixcloud.com
DJ Dynamight 3:13 PM - 1 October, 2012
I was rooting for DJ Nicco from Jamaica, but big up to Four Color Zack.
DJ Tecniq 5:07 PM - 1 October, 2012
Damn he won the world final too and put it down for the US!!!! With his tracklist and planning how the hell could anyone beat him? He seriously killed this shit!

www.mixcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 5:09 PM - 1 October, 2012
FINAL SET - www.mixcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 5:14 PM - 1 October, 2012
^ he even dropped that rattle trap remix! That track is fire!
DJ Tecniq 5:26 PM - 1 October, 2012
Shub's set came nowhere near FourColorZack's I got bored with it in the beginning toward the end it got better just wasn't my cup of tea I didn't get what he was tryin to do with his set. I kinda just got lost in it.
www.mixcloud.com
ToneNice 6:53 PM - 1 October, 2012
Big ups to FCZ for keeping the title on American turf. Caught the US finals in Orlando and dude def showed and proved. He cut with the best of them and was super creative. Glad to see a skilled DJ get some well deserved props.
Eric N 6:59 PM - 1 October, 2012
SEATTLE REPRESENT! :)

Zack is a beast. That is all.
djdalite 6:05 PM - 2 October, 2012
Still no video of the final sets?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:08 PM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:

Thats what I'm talking about. Big ups!
stephan mercury 10:11 PM - 2 October, 2012
there is a vid of Zacks set @Watchwww.youtube.com
djpuma_gemini 10:27 PM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Thats what I'm talking about. Big ups!

So is FCZ gonna show up to the Rane Jammy Jam on the 20th?
DJDBAG 10:30 PM - 2 October, 2012
12:00 to !2:15 is filthy dirty
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:30 PM - 2 October, 2012
I'd love to get ahold of that guy and invite him up for the BBQ.
djdalite 11:23 PM - 2 October, 2012
completely motivating set, mad props to him

btw anyone know that chief keef trap remix?
dj_soo 11:42 PM - 2 October, 2012
interesting - 2nd year in a row where the host-country's representative won the big one (Hedspin won in repping Canada in Canada last year).

I'm not saying Four Color Zack (or Hedspin before him) isn't amazing - he is and that set was killer - but I wonder if there's a home-court advantage for these things these days...
djromanj 1:35 AM - 3 October, 2012
Quote:
interesting - 2nd year in a row where the host-country's representative won the big one (Hedspin won in repping Canada in Canada last year).

I'm not saying Four Color Zack (or Hedspin before him) isn't amazing - he is and that set was killer - but I wonder if there's a home-court advantage for these things these days...

Also the year before hedspin, 2010, Dj nedu lopes won it in brazil and he's from Brazil....hmmmm
Yeah Four color zack and hedspin are amazing dj's, its just INTERESTING, that the host country djs win it..hmmmmm
DJ Tecniq 4:57 AM - 3 October, 2012
He won fair and square he killed it with that Rocky sample. He made his set so dope with planning it that no one could touch him. Can't wait to see this guy live he's just got that drive.
DouggyFresh 8:16 AM - 3 October, 2012
Very inspiring set!
Discobee 9:24 PM - 3 October, 2012
Post competition interview of FCZ...with video of the winning set...plus he really likes the music of The Dream apparently.

blog.turntablelab.com
sacrilicious 9:38 PM - 3 October, 2012
Quote:
plus he really likes the music of The Dream apparently.

Ha I noticed that a few months ago...his Soundcloud has a bunch of all The Dream mixtapes
DJ Tecniq 12:41 AM - 4 October, 2012
Does anyone know who came in 2nd? I can't seem to find it anywhere?
stephan mercury 12:42 AM - 4 October, 2012
Nedu Lopez came in second
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:46 PM - 12 October, 2012
Quote:
there is a vid of Zacks set @Watchwww.youtube.com

Wow they have his image projected on the big screen behind him and the fancy logo and countdown clock BUT no official video of what was being projected?

Only iPhone video from the "cheap seats"?

Anybody seen an "official" yet?
B.Hollywood 9:18 AM - 13 October, 2012
Sick set, 3style is a cool format.