Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

WAV FILES IN SERATO

DJ Chill Zg 3:39 PM - 2 July, 2012
Hello guys
First to say, pardon my english cause its not perfect, and i am sory for openning this question if its allready opened.
I have one question considering wav files in serato:
I stoped using mp3s on serato regarding quality of sounds, and started to use wav's
I am ripping my original cd's, vinyl's, buying wavs, or getting them through different online DJ pools or directly getting them as promo from record labels.
So here is question:
When i import wavs in Serato, i use all the columns in serato (artist, year, genre, comment etc...) to tag them as i want, and then scan them.
Also, i mark cue points, and loops.
When i turn of serato, and laptop, and then turn it on again, everything is fine. but sometimes if i delete crate from serato, and bring it back, then in some files, tags, cues and loops are remembered, but in most of them aren't, and then again i have to do again everything and scan tracs, which is really time consuming and pain in the a..
Thank you for the help in advance
Peace
DJ Chill
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:07 AM - 3 July, 2012
wav files do not have tagging capabilities. Serato will remember what you wrote in a database, but the info is not actually saved to the file like it would be in an MP3.

The best option for lossless files is AIFF, which are exactly like wav files but can have tags. You can convert wav to aiff without any loss of quality. When you open up aiffs in any other program after tagging in Serato, the info will transfer over.

hope that helps.

good job on using high quality sound files!!
DJ Chill Zg 8:36 AM - 3 July, 2012
Thank you for the reply and help.
I guess the way to go will be AIFF.
Can you please suggest me some good program for tagging AIFF files, or can you tag them in mp3 tag program, like you can tag flac's in it?
Also, i use switch program for converting files. Do you know if that one is ok or maybe you can suggest something better?

Thanks, I had to go with high quality sound files. Mp3 is just wack :)

Peace
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:35 AM - 3 July, 2012
mac or PC?

I use iTunes for all my tagging and converting.
DJ Chill Zg 9:57 AM - 3 July, 2012
Mac
DJ Chill Zg 10:03 AM - 3 July, 2012
I cant use itunes for converting Flacs, and most of my albums was ripped of my original cd's and vinyl in EAC in flac
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:10 AM - 3 July, 2012
I've never used FLAC so I can't help you with that.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:11 AM - 3 July, 2012
but I know there are converters out there.

I use ALAC (apple Lossless) when I want lossless and to save some space. Apple's version is basically the same thing but they work on iPods and such.
DJ Chill Zg 10:48 AM - 3 July, 2012
Thank you very much for help man.
I apreciate it.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:52 AM - 3 July, 2012
my pleasure, report back on what you end up doing to convert files and if it all gets working how you want it to.
DJ Chill Zg 10:55 AM - 3 July, 2012
Kool, will start now with one smaller crate and ill see how it goes.
pueblofunky 9:17 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
wav files do not have tagging capabilities. Serato will remember what you wrote in a database, but the info is not actually saved to the file like it would be in an MP3.

Completely wrong. ID3 tags will be stored in WAV files in sub chunk "id3 " in the same way as in MP3 files. There must be another reasony why your files won't be updated. Are some files read-only and do you have write access.

Quote:
The best option for lossless files is AIFF, which are exactly like wav files but can have tags. You can convert wav to aiff without any loss of quality. When you open up aiffs in any other program after tagging in Serato, the info will transfer over.

AIFF = WAV except the container header is different and all bytes pairs are in opposite order. The ID3 tags like in WAV would also work in AIFF. (Personally never tested with Serato).

And the quality - if MP3 320 or WAV is not so different:

- You might never hear a difference between a WAV or good converted MP3 - maybe only in big clubs but try it out.

- In the club it depends on the mixer you are using. If you are using the analog Xone 92 you have perfect sound. If you play on a digital mixer like Pioneer the sound is horrible. Lets say if you play the MP3 on Xone 92 and WAV on a Pioneer you would say the MP3 sounds better ... ;-)

Hope THAT helps.
pueblofunky 9:19 PM - 4 July, 2012
PS: Stop using iTunes for tagging.

If you want a lot of tags use Tag & Rename - also supports ID3 in WAV files. A brand new version will follow soon.

Serato has to less tags. But a re-scan of all files and all tags are up-to-date.
DJ Chill Zg 10:51 AM - 5 July, 2012
Completely wrong. ID3 tags will be stored in WAV files in sub chunk "id3 " in the same way as in MP3 files. There must be another reasony why your files won't be updated. Are some files read-only and do you have write access.

I checked all the files, and its read and write. Even if i press right click, then info, and press unlock, change tags, nothing helps.

And the quality - if MP3 320 or WAV is not so different:

- You might never hear a difference between a WAV or good converted MP3 - maybe only in big clubs but try it out.

- In the club it depends on the mixer you are using. If you are using the analog Xone 92 you have perfect sound. If you play on a digital mixer like Pioneer the sound is horrible. Lets say if you play the MP3 on Xone 92 and WAV on a Pioneer you would say the MP3 sounds better ... ;-)

I wouldn't say so. Maybe you can't hear diference beetween mp3 320 and wav, but i can feel it. Call me crazy but I was testing it in many clubs on diferent mixers and diferent sound systems in last 2 months period, and i can say reactions was diferent.

Quote:
PS: Stop using iTunes for tagging.

If you want a lot of tags use Tag & Rename - also supports ID3 in WAV files. A brand new version will follow soon.

Serato has to less tags. But a re-scan of all files and all tags are up-to-date.

Will definitly try out this tag and rename thing. I hope it will work with all wavs.
And yes itunes sucs for taging, even in serato goes slow. For now mp3 tag is my favorite, but unfortunatly it doesn't support wavs and aiffs.
DJ Chill Zg 11:30 AM - 5 July, 2012
Ahhhhh shit, sory for bad quoting :(
DJ Chill Zg 7:21 AM - 18 July, 2012
I converted all my wavs into aiffs with switch converter
And i have same situation with them as with wavs. Some of them remember everything i do to them in SL program even after deleting it from it, and bringing it back, and some of them is not rememebering anything. I found even worst case, that some of the aiffs is not remembering anything after just turning of program.
Is there any good tag program for aiffs (something like mp3 tag) or is there a good converter from flac to aiff which can pull metadata from flac to aiff?
Thanks again
studio17 8:02 AM - 18 July, 2012
Quote:
I converted all my wavs into aiffs with switch converter

use XLD or xACT for converting audio on a mac - it's the way to go

in Serato use Apple Lossless (i would love to see .flac but ...) - never ever .mp3 and no need for using .aiff or .wav

for tagging Apple Lossless use iTunes (works for me and i do a lot of tagging)

tmkk.pv.land.to

xact.scottcbrown.org
DJ Chill Zg 8:12 AM - 21 August, 2012
Man thanks for the sugestion of using XLD, its perfect.
I tag all my flacs in mp3 tag, than convert them with xld to aiffs, and everything is perfect, and it is as how i want it to be.
Thank you all ppl :)
Peace
DJ Chill Zg 8:12 AM - 21 August, 2012
Man thanks for the sugestion of using XLD, its perfect.
I tag all my flacs in mp3 tag, than convert them with xld to aiffs, and everything is perfect, and it is as how i want it to be.
Thank you all ppl :)
Peace
Brenn 11:07 PM - 16 January, 2013
Any recommendations for XLD equivalents on Windows..?