DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The Worst DJ You have ever heard.

Holdsy10 5:59 AM - 24 June, 2012
Last night, I went to a party in this hall for this girls 18th, and the DJ's there were terrible. She had three, and not one of them could do a good job. They could see there were at least 100 people dancing, and they kept putting on slow songs/dubstep which really isn't easy to dance to. Don't get me wrong the songs were good but not suitable for the event.

Also, they couldn't transition for crap. The transitions were always out and they wouldn't take requests. I kept going up to them and told them to play Internet Friends (Everyone in my town goes off for that song) and they didn't want to put it on. And it's not like everyone was requesting songs, I was dancing and around the dancefloor most of the night, and didn't see many people requesting.

DJ's like this make me slack. Anybody else heard a really terrible DJ?
DJ Reflex 7:22 AM - 24 June, 2012
This young dude showed up at a high school party once and played the most gawd-awful noise I've ever heard. He used iTunes and did not even have the proper connectors to go from his computer to the mixer... I had to supply them. No sense of anything DJ related. Just played obscure dubstep and indie rock all night. No one danced and when I offered to help, I got a nasty comment about how it was HIS party.

OK foo - next time bring your own 1/8" to RCA cable!
the_black_one 8:17 AM - 24 June, 2012
worst i ever heard was Mbezzle...... hands down!
dj_soo 11:47 AM - 24 June, 2012
several years ago, one of the biggest hip hop promoters in town decided he wanted to start DJing. Naturally, he booked himself to open for most of the big acts he would bring into town.

One time - and this was early on in his attempt to dj - he booked himself to open for Z-Trip at a sold out show. It was so bad it was insulting. Trainwrecks, awkward off-time transitions, random backspins with no heed to phrasing or structure or even timing...

It's the only time I've ever seen a DJ boo'd repeatedly.

The only saving grace was the tunes were actually good but considering the massive amounts of amazing local DJs he had on his roster, it was a slap in the face to every hard-working DJ that built themselves up to a point where they should be opening for a guy like Z-Trip.

Even Z was dumbfounded backstage over what was coming out of the speakers.

He did eventually get better after a while but I still feel a little peeved over that debacle...
DJ Remy USA 1:48 AM - 25 June, 2012
Me when I first started I was horrible had to be the worst DJ I ever geard
djaction 2:45 AM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
Last night, I went to a party in this hall for this girls 18th, and the DJ's there were terrible. She had three, and not one of them could do a good job. They could see there were at least 100 people dancing, and they kept putting on slow songs/dubstep which really isn't easy to dance to. Don't get me wrong the songs were good but not suitable for the event.

Also, they couldn't transition for crap. The transitions were always out and they wouldn't take requests. I kept going up to them and told them to play Internet Friends (Everyone in my town goes off for that song) and they didn't want to put it on. And it's not like everyone was requesting songs, I was dancing and around the dancefloor most of the night, and didn't see many people requesting.

so they had 100+ people dancing and the only person that cared was the DJ that was there that wasn't spinning (you).

i.e. nobody cares about this shit except dj's
slimmjimm 2:59 AM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
.... Just played obscure dubstep and indie rock all night. No one danced ...

That's because you don't dance to indie rock, you FUCKIN RAGE to it.
Holdsy10 1:54 PM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

so they had 100+ people dancing and the only person that cared was the DJ that was there that wasn't spinning (you).

i.e. nobody cares about this shit except dj's

Actually let me rephrase. 100 people were ready to dance, but it was awkward at times for everyone when songs that didn't suit came on, and I wasn't the only one who noticed the shit transitions. I had people come up to me and say how crap the DJ was, and I got asked by a few people if the transitions were meant to sound like that.
djaction 2:07 PM - 25 June, 2012
this must have been in bizzaro world lol.. because nobody gives a shit about this stuff hence that entire thread about 'do people really care'
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:20 PM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
worst i ever heard was Mbezzle...... hands down!

why am i shocked that it took 3 posts for this, i thought first rresponce would be a sure thing lol
MusicMeister 7:04 PM - 25 June, 2012
See Paris Hilton DJ thread... ;)
SUBSTANCE 11:19 PM - 27 June, 2012
In a totally different way, I was really disappointed when I saw Grandmaster Flash.
Very, very basic.
I know his history but definitely not the type of DJ I want to see in the new year with.
DJ Remy USA 12:06 AM - 28 June, 2012
Quote:
In a totally different way, I was really disappointed when I saw Grandmaster Flash.
Very, very basic.
I know his history but definitely not the type of DJ I want to see in the new year with.

Yea it's amazing how basic he is you would think he would at least be on Jeff status...lol
Papa Midnight 10:01 PM - 29 June, 2012
I've heard some really bad DJs. There's so many here in the D/M/V that it's hard to call one out for being "the worst". I heard a DJ at an event I was doing Production work for a few months ago that didn't understand the meaning of the word "moderation" and was going overboard on effects. Then, had shitty transitions to boot.

Last night I was at a company party where the DJ couldn't help himself and couldn't mix for shit (CD only). You don't play games with line dances. When you're playing "The Wobble" and your crowd stops and stares at you because you decided to run it back and was off beat on the easiest damn song on the planet to run back, you screwed up.

Then I've seen DJs who can't mix for crap, but play popular stuff so while they transition the crowd stares at them stupidly then goes and parties when they hear their next favorite song played; and somehow, these are the DJs who get called the "Best DJ ever" by the people at the end of the night (and has likely played some songs at least 3-4 times).

Then there's the DJs who can't mix so they slam all night long (I know damn well anyone on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA has seen this at least once in their life).

Then there's the DJs who actually might have some mixing skill but can't level for shit and end up blowing the speakers, clipping them so high that the limiter kicks in and cuts off the highs (on some models) or having speakers/amps with a decent rating which will actually carry that signal and give everyone tinnitus before the night is over.

There's plenty of others I could list off, but you all have seen them and you all get the point.
DJ GOOK 3:36 PM - 1 July, 2012
Staying with the DMV theme. How about the DJ who plays a lil bit of the first verse and bring in the next song with words going on top of each other and then claims they mix at Club choices,Parodox etc.
DJ Remy USA 12:18 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Staying with the DMV theme. How about the DJ who plays a lil bit of the first verse and bring in the next song with words going on top of each other and then claims they mix at Club choices,Parodox etc.

That's why it's hard for me to stay booked cause these terrible DMV DJs
DaveyDucketts 5:53 PM - 2 July, 2012
DMV DJ here too. Saw one rocking this set up.

imgur.com

And this was in 2011.
echa1945mf 6:56 PM - 2 July, 2012
worst DJ ? probably me after way too many drinks ....... ugh
str8nger 8:36 PM - 2 July, 2012
I say the worst Dj I heard was at a club in Florida using virtual Dj, he would let the whole song play then u hear the pause for a second then he would drop the next song in. It was terrible
DJ Reflex 1:39 AM - 3 July, 2012
I was just talking to this ahemmm... "DJ" who thought that mixing two songs together was hard... so his trick was to do a quick backspin on the record and then drop the next tune.

I thought... "Holy crap - I wish I thought of that trick. Way easier than mixing!"
Papa Midnight 3:59 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
I say the worst Dj I heard was at a club in Florida using virtual Dj, he would let the whole song play then u hear the pause for a second then he would drop the next song in. It was terrible

...and yet, he still would sound better than a lot of DJs here in the D/M/V.
Speaking of the D/M/V, damn I didn't think that many other people would point it out. Seems to be a commonality.
DJMark 10:24 AM - 3 July, 2012
The worst DJ I can remember hearing was using Virtual DJ at a "DJ Contest" a couple years ago. Older crack-ed out looking guy with a PC laptop and nothing else...he just used function-keys for his (still slopped-up) auto-mix set.

It got interesting when the audio stopped, most of the screen faded black, and a really ominous-looking "This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" type dialog appeared in the middle of the screen...

X X X
Dj JesC 1:22 AM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
The worst DJ I can remember hearing was using Virtual DJ at a "DJ Contest" a couple years ago. Older crack-ed out looking guy with a PC laptop and nothing else...he just used function-keys for his (still slopped-up) auto-mix set.

It got interesting when the audio stopped, most of the screen faded black, and a really ominous-looking "This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" type dialog appeared in the middle of the screen...

X X X

i swear i got that fixed.
DJMark 1:44 AM - 4 July, 2012
^ LOL but if that's you in your profile picture, you're at least 20 years younger than that guy.
Dj JesC 2:58 AM - 13 July, 2012
Quote:
^ LOL but if that's you in your profile picture, you're at least 20 years younger than that guy.

i age benjamin button status...
Robert W 4:44 AM - 13 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

That's why it's hard for me to stay booked cause these terrible DMV DJs

What do you mean by "D/M/V" djs? I never heard that one before.
Jader 5:12 AM - 13 July, 2012
i think it means DC, Maryland, Virginia
DJ GOOK 4:09 AM - 14 July, 2012
^^ You sir is correct
Papa Midnight 6:31 PM - 14 July, 2012
^ What he said.
djpuma_gemini 7:37 PM - 14 July, 2012
I thought you meant department of motor vehicles.
Robert W 2:05 AM - 15 July, 2012
Quote:

Yeah, those DJs who play at the DMV are the biggest douche bags.
O.B.1 2:18 AM - 16 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

If you ask them to play a request, they tell you to take a number - and then you have to wait sometimes for hours and if you say it's your birthday they make you pay for a new license...
DJ Remy USA 2:30 AM - 16 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you ask them to play a request, they tell you to take a number - and then you have to wait sometimes for hours and if you say it's your birthday they make you pay for a new license...

lol so funny Im from the DMV and we call it the MVA (motor vehicle association)...yea we special out here
AKIEM 7:56 AM - 16 July, 2012
Worst DJ I ever heard was some years back in Seattle opening for Ol Dirty Bastard. This dumbass kept playing played out bside west coast records while everyone wanted to hear some east coast wutang related golden erra hip hop. Scratching off beat, train wrecks lyrics on lyrics, mismatched volume, song all the way to the fade out, everything wrong. But this dude acted like he was THE SHIT, like everything was on point. Kept sipping on a drink, and smoking on a square. The dude was an idiot beside being wack as a dj.

I had no choice but to throw, and hit the guy with a couple coins. Yeah, I probably should not have done it, but I had no choice the dude sucked that bad.

Now since then I have heard some really bullshit DJs, and I always consider if they were worse then this guy, none so far.
RnBDJkb 10:37 PM - 16 July, 2012
Solange Knowles is the worst; must be nice to be related to somebody famous:-)
DJ GOOK 6:51 PM - 17 July, 2012
she is famous to. my wife loved her album
DJ Alkemy 7:35 PM - 17 July, 2012
DJ'ing, Beatboxing, Didgeridoo...ing....This guy takes some beating. I still havn't decided if he is serious or not:

www.youtube.com
RnBDJkb 8:36 PM - 17 July, 2012
" first time I heard that..Thanks DJ Gook..
Maybe my wife will like it too, I will let her check it out now.
VDJ ASTRO 5:09 AM - 10 August, 2012
Quote:
I was just talking to this ahemmm... "DJ" who thought that mixing two songs together was hard... so his trick was to do a quick backspin on the record and then drop the next tune.

I thought... "Holy crap - I wish I thought of that trick. Way easier than mixing!"

Lol i know a few like that they use effects during every song mix
MelonHead 10:08 AM - 11 August, 2012
just wen u thought u've seen em all..

p.twimg.com

nytnyt kids!
ancientyouth 3:20 PM - 11 August, 2012
club Mickey D's Yall. ROFL
Daktyl 4:41 PM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:

p.twimg.com

nytnyt kids!

and dudes were clowning about a walmart parking lot battle serato.com lol....
get a load of this guy. that's def a low point.
DJ DisGrace 5:59 PM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

p.twimg.com

nytnyt kids!

and dudes were clowning about a walmart parking lot battle serato.com lol....
get a load of this guy. that's def a low point.

don't all Wal-Mart's have a McD's in them?
dj poisonous handz 6:05 PM - 11 August, 2012
Quote:
Solange Knowles is the worst; must be nice to be related to somebody famous:-)

lol.and shes booked everyday
Robert W 1:41 AM - 12 August, 2012
Just listened to a random cassette of a hiphop mix i did back in 2001. YIKES!!!
The overall beat matching wasnt bad, but having the songs play up to the 3rd verse before i mixed in the next song/instrumental, awkward baby scratch patterns, too much time from the instrumental version to the vocal version of the songs. Made me wanna go back in time and slap myself across the face. WTF was i thinking?!
DJ Reflex 2:24 PM - 12 August, 2012
LOL I did the same thing recently. Heard one of my own house mixes from back in the 90's and thought "Man, that sucked."

On the flip side, I did an 80's mix mostly off 45's around the same time and it still holds up!