DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why Does Serato Do THIS??!!!!

DJDLO 415 11:40 PM - 7 February, 2008
I never "prepare" songs because as soon as you load the song its gone out of the window and you have to dig for it again if you need it....yea i know this is old news we ALL know this...but i ALWAYS use instant doubles and this annoys the shit out of me....it forces me to make new creates while DJing (which is to much work) because the tracks stay in there place....i know you can always drag a track from one deck to another to double up - but i hate touching the mouse (i use all keyboad shorts)

what do you guys think - any tips etc...? - do i not know something to fix this?

hey mods - consider this for the next version of serato
Konix 12:25 AM - 8 February, 2008
Er, so, what's you question?
dj_soo 12:30 AM - 8 February, 2008
i think he wants tracks to not disappear after loading in the prepare window.

Even though I don't rock the doubles all that much, I'm inclined to agree with this - chuck this in the feature suggestion forum maybe?
sixxx 12:35 AM - 8 February, 2008
control + shift + arrows.... really, no need for two tracks that are the same.

At any rate, what's your suggestion DJDLO415?
DJDLO 415 1:00 AM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:

At any rate, what's your suggestion DJDLO415?

let me re-explain....so if you have a track playing on the left deck, and want to scratch in a song but your power hand is your left, that means you have to switch the song from the left deck to the right - and if you are using the prepare window you only have two options 1. manually drag the track from left to right by using your mouse or 2. dig for the song again and lose your place in the window

is is also a prob is you want to rock doubles on both sides

i quick mix/scratch/rock doubles so when the track is no longer 1 click away this is very stressfull....

and yes i should have posted this in the suggestions section
DJDLO 415 1:01 AM - 8 February, 2008
remember as soon as you load a song from the prepare window it is no longer there
VJ Justin Allen 1:13 AM - 8 February, 2008
Why do you put songs in the prepare window...what's the reason for that?
Logisticalstyles 1:54 AM - 8 February, 2008
When you are flipping through songs you might see something that you want to play later. If you don't want to forget about that song just throw it in the prepare list and come back to it later.
DJ Michael Basic 2:05 AM - 8 February, 2008
DJDLO just use instant doubles.
DJ Michael Basic 2:06 AM - 8 February, 2008
You can also left click on a deck and drag the track that's playing on that deck wherever you want, prepare window, other deck, wherever.
VJ Justin Allen 2:14 AM - 8 February, 2008
Thanks
DJDLO 415 2:37 AM - 8 February, 2008
dam i guess i suck at explaining shit....

i know all of what you guys are telling me - i just get fustrated becuase once you load a track out of the "prepare" area - window or whatever you want to call it - it is no longer there and i wish it would just stay there
bboysupafly 2:58 AM - 8 February, 2008
yeah I hate when that happens.........I prepare songs on the prepare window then when I want to hear if a song (from the prepare window) will fit in the mix...........its not there!!!!

so i have to do a search from all the crates i have.
Audio1 3:41 AM - 8 February, 2008
So DLO just explained this to me in detail. Basically, He wants to load the tracks from the prepare window, but as soon as you load a track into a deck, it disapears. The function here would be to have the ability to insta-double from the prepare window, just like you are able to do from your regular serato crates, when the track is highlighted.
CQuence 5:06 AM - 8 February, 2008
These damn "Designers DJs"
Konix 5:26 AM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
i know all of what you guys are telling me - i just get fustrated becuase once you load a track out of the "prepare" area - window or whatever you want to call it - it is no longer there and i wish it would just stay there

That defeats the purpose of the prepare window then and it is basically just a crate at that point.

Quote:
So DLO just explained this to me in detail. Basically, He wants to load the tracks from the prepare window, but as soon as you load a track into a deck, it disapears. The function here would be to have the ability to insta-double from the prepare window, just like you are able to do from your regular serato crates, when the track is highlighted.

Right, but I think you guys are missing a key point which sixxx already mentioned. The instant doubles shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+left/right arrow. You DO NOT need to have the same song highlighted to do the instant double shortcuts, you can have any song highlighted in your crate/prepare but as long as you do Ctrl+Shit+left/right arrow it will automatically load the song playing on the deck to the other deck (just be careful not to do ctrl+arrow cause otherwise then it will load the currently highlighted song). Yes, you can instant double when you Ctrl+arrow the highlighted song of the SAME song currently playing, or by drag the song from the crate to the deck, or dragging from deck to deck, but not necessary and not the only way. That's what, 4 different ways to instant double a song. But the Ctrl+Shift+arrow way does't require you to have a song highlighted or be in any crate/window.
DJDLO 415 7:03 AM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
These damn "Designers DJs"

haha u knowwww ittttt!!!
DJDLO 415 7:05 AM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

That defeats the purpose of the prepare window then and it is basically just a crate at that point.

Quote:

Right, but I think you guys are missing a key point which sixxx already mentioned. The instant doubles shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+left/right arrow. You DO NOT need to have the same song highlighted to do the instant double shortcuts, you can have any song highlighted in your crate/prepare but as long as you do Ctrl+Shit+left/right arrow it will automatically load the song playing on the deck to the other deck (just be careful not to do ctrl+arrow cause otherwise then it will load the currently highlighted song). Yes, you can instant double when you Ctrl+arrow the highlighted song of the SAME song currently playing, or by drag the song from the crate to the deck, or dragging from deck to deck, but not necessary and not the only way. That's what, 4 different ways to instant double a song. But the Ctrl+Shift+arrow way does't require you to have a song highlighted or be in any crate/window.

Now this is why i posted this question....thanks fellas

i didnt understand sixx at first because i didnt notice the CTL button

rite on for breakin it down for me konix!
a-swift 7:06 AM - 8 February, 2008
dude. this is pretty easy. just make an option that prepared tracks stick. problem solved.

virtual dj has this.

like that staples button says: that was easy.
DJ Michael Basic 10:41 AM - 8 February, 2008
Another pet peeve of mine...

"Hey guys help me do this."

"Ok here's how you do it..."

"no i tried that and it doesn't work."

"um, that's how you do it!"

"You don't understand what I'm asking."

"I do understand what you're asking, this is how you do it."

"OHHHH I didn't read what you said word for word, now I get it."
sixxx 2:19 PM - 8 February, 2008
Oh damn you Konix.... I give the help and you get the thanks? :P

:)
sixxx 2:20 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine...

"Hey guys help me do this."

"Ok here's how you do it..."

"no i tried that and it doesn't work."

"um, that's how you do it!"

"You don't understand what I'm asking."

"I do understand what you're asking, this is how you do it."

"OHHHH I didn't read what you said word for word, now I get it."

hahahah. Sorry DLO... I'm gonna clown on ya.

You can read a one liner? :P

Just messing with ya. I bet now you like SSL again.
SELECT 3:13 PM - 8 February, 2008
I understand your frustration. The prepare window is pretty much useless for practicing or trying to prepare sets for the night. Your better off creating a seperate crate. For me when I try to prepare sets I like to try them in different orders to see what works. Basically which song should go first, last, etc. It would be great if I could do that in the prepare window and not have to go digging again for all the songs I just loaded up.

So for me, its useless. I just make a new crate and prepare sets from there.
Audio1 3:14 PM - 8 February, 2008
We were sitting here trying to figure that shit out yesterday on SSL. I just make crates for stuff I think Imma play, since the prepare crate never really worked for me in any way... but Its good to know and knowing is half the battle (GI JOEEEEEE)
djbriguy 3:14 PM - 8 February, 2008
Learn to scratch with your right hand?
DJ Jonasty 7:52 PM - 8 February, 2008
You could always click review and find your track there. Or yeah, learn to scratch with your right hand
Panic City 8:25 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:

he can scratch with both, but you should hear him with his left. DLO is dope
djbriguy 9:18 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

how did he solve this problem pre-serato?
Panic City 9:20 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

he scratched with his toes
DJDLO 415 10:28 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL @ toes....

hey mike - i never tried it and "didnt get it" i just didnt know the buttons, when i got home last night,i read what konix said and it made hella sense, pls dont treat like im one of these scubs on here (i know im an idiot but this is the reason for posting) - besides its sixxx's job to ridicule people for no reason

but yes i was sessioning last night using my new keyboard technique and loved it
lofty 12:34 AM - 9 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL @ toes....

hey mike - i never tried it and "didnt get it" i just didnt know the buttons, when i got home last night,i read what konix said and it made hella sense, pls dont treat like im one of these scubs on here (i know im an idiot but this is the reason for posting) - besides its sixxx's job to ridicule people for no reason

but yes i was masturbating last night using my new keyboard technique and loved it
DJ Michael Basic 1:29 AM - 9 February, 2008
Sorry bro, don't take it personal...you asked a question and 3 people told you EXACTLY the answer and you said WE didn't understand. I was just pointing out that its a pet peeve of mine:) I still love you.
CQuence 2:40 AM - 9 February, 2008
*cues up Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now" *
DJ Michael Basic 2:48 AM - 9 February, 2008
Warm my heart!
sixxx 3:28 AM - 9 February, 2008
Quote:
besides its sixxx's job to ridicule people for no reason

but yes i was sessioning last night using my new keyboard technique and loved it

hahaha. We still love DLO (no homo). Just giving you a hard time (no homo again).
DJDLO 415 11:11 PM - 9 February, 2008
Hold me now....wwhooaaaaa

staayyyy wiitthhh meeeee
ninjaty 2:55 AM - 10 February, 2008
I'm kind of late on this but couldn't you just hit the review button and quickly grab anything you just played? I think they were designed to be used together(prepare/review).

I do see some benefit of not having tracks disappear from the prepare window.
So +1 on that feature if its not terribly complex to add.
bandoma 6:03 PM - 10 February, 2008
im stronger with my left hand too DLO.

you could also instant doubles the current song that is playing on your right deck to the left deck.

mix in your new song from the prepare window on the right deck which will then leave the left deck open for skratching.

get it, got it, good!