DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics SL-DZ1200 Digital Turntable

djshong 5:48 AM - 6 February, 2008
How are they with serato?
djshong 5:49 AM - 6 February, 2008
damn wrong section to post this........
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:33 PM - 6 February, 2008
Hey Shong,

I'll move this to the djing discussions section for you.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:35 PM - 6 February, 2008
I have yet to personally test them with SSL, but they should work fine.

*moved to DJing discussion*
lvmez 4:48 PM - 6 February, 2008
they work great. i used to own a pair. they are no longer producing these decks but if you can get them for a VERY cheap price, they are good. they have flaws that has given them a bad name. i personally liked them but sold them to get turntables. good luck.
DJ GaFFle 5:01 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:

I don't know but I can say they are pretty to look at...other than that, they make great bookends.

My boy had a pair and they had a terrible feel to them (platter-wise). They've got this irritating notch on the platter too (not sure what it's for). I'd suggest a Pioneer CDJ 800 or some Denon as an alternative. I think K. Smith uses Denon CD's. He may be able to offer up some thoughts.
DJ Jonasty 5:40 PM - 6 February, 2008
I had a pair for a while and they worked great with Serato. I sold them to get my M5G's
djshong 7:01 PM - 6 February, 2008
i have denon 3500's they have to many problems was considering doing a trade-in for the technics!
DJ GaFFle 7:35 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
i have denon 3500's they have to many problems was considering doing a trade-in for the technics!

I'd strongly consider the Pioneer CDJ's then, either the 800's or the 1000's. Technics stopped making the SL-DZ1200 for a reason...
Releaux 7:55 PM - 6 February, 2008
I have a pair of S5000s and still love them, but if I was buying a fresh set today, I'd probably pick up the CDJ 800 primarily so I'd be familiar/comfortable with the player I'm most likely to find in a club.
djshong 8:23 PM - 6 February, 2008
well considering what i find in most clubs and the way other djz abuse equipment in some clubs i'd rather bring in my own set 90% of the time....... i was just trying to decide between the pioneer or the technics(which they are still making)!
Releaux 8:42 PM - 6 February, 2008
No argument there... it's more a matter of familiarity for those times when I can't bring my rig for whatever reason. I'm more likely to run into a CDJ800 than a Denon deck, and the difference in feel between the two is pretty big.
djbabyboy 12:48 AM - 8 February, 2008
Gaffle i got those pair from Abe and have not had any problems with them and SSL, as a matter of fact to me i think they play better with SSL. Biut looking to get some 1200s next.
djshong 1:15 AM - 8 February, 2008
word got mine as well been playing around with them and there nice traded my denon 3500's in for these i have 1200's too i think should gotten long time time ago i aslo found some record slipmats for these www.senseihaus.com
Julls 2:13 AM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know but I can say they are pretty to look at...other than that, they make great bookends.

I couldn't agree more! Oh btw they suck with SSL!
djshong 4:28 AM - 8 February, 2008
so why you say that?
MusicMeister 12:47 AM - 9 February, 2008
Sheesh...

I have a pair and they work just fine with DVS systems. All the complaints are addressed when pairing them with a DVS. The major complaints were the 'digital' sounding scratch sound which was addressed in a firmware update, the marginal MP3 Support (up to 192kbps, CBR ONLY), the SD card headaches, and a few other things. When you pair it with a DVS these don't matter any more.

As for the platters, mine don't have a 'notch' in them so I'm not sure what DJ Gaffle was talking about.

The feel isn't bad if you get a pair that's not worn out and you need to keep the grit out of them.

The reason they failed was the problems mentioned earlier and the fact that people moving to CD's wanted advanced features, not a turntable that 'happened' to play CD's. They wanted to reduce weight....

If you're thinking of getting a pair talk to the guys at the SLDZ forum. There's a good chance you can find someone to let you work with a pair.
djshong 4:23 PM - 9 February, 2008
yea they did work very nice with serato no probs @ all.............
djbabyboy 9:28 PM - 9 February, 2008
Well Julls i don't know what the problem you are or was having, but i used mines out every weekend and practice on them everyday and night and no problem just like the few on this trend has said that they are not having any problems with their SLDZ & SSL. I am not the one who judges djs on what they have , if it works for them so beat it. i have had so many djs said that they did not know SLDZ played that good. Because everyone said go and get them Piss-neer and be like the norm. i am not the norm so fuckit. like i said before i will get 1200's next and keep my SLDZ.
Nice site DJShong, thinking about getting a pair or two of those.
djshong 7:05 PM - 10 February, 2008
Thanks......
Dj K.Smith 7:04 PM - 12 February, 2008
Quote:
I think K. Smith uses Denon CD's. He may be able to offer up some thoughts

Yes I do and have had no problems with them (no jinx)... They work for me... In the end, don't get what someone told you to get. Go somewhere, try out the decks you're interested in and make a decision that way...
djmoneyd425 7:12 PM - 12 February, 2008
...as long as it's not made by numark, unless you enjoy sending your decks in for repair a week after you get them back from the last repair job.
DJ GaFFle 7:34 PM - 12 February, 2008
Quote:
Gaffle i got those pair from Abe and have not had any problems with them and SSL, as a matter of fact to me i think they play better with SSL. Biut looking to get some 1200s next.

My experience with them came when Abe was talking me into getting back into DJ'ing in '05. He had those Technics SLDZ1200's and a mixer. It was a bad experience being used to turntables all my life and getting on those. It felt nothing like a turntable to me and that notch thingy on the platter irritated the f--k outta me!

Now that I'm back into spinning, I can deal with CD players. We sometimes use CDJ 800's at the club. It took some getting use to but I did notice my 'blends' were very exact in comparison to TTs. CDTT's track really well.

I'm just negatively bias on the SLDZ's because of the bad 1st/last experience with them.
DJ GaFFle 7:39 PM - 12 February, 2008
Quote:
Sheesh...

I have a pair and they work just fine with DVS systems. All the complaints are addressed when pairing them with a DVS. The major complaints were the 'digital' sounding scratch sound which was addressed in a firmware update, the marginal MP3 Support (up to 192kbps, CBR ONLY), the SD card headaches, and a few other things. When you pair it with a DVS these don't matter any more.

As for the platters, mine don't have a 'notch' in them so I'm not sure what DJ Gaffle was talking about.

www.djdeals.com

Those 2 notches on the platter...they're like warts that get in your way when you're manipulating the platter. Why are they there and what are they for?

I will say these thing look like a work of art. Now if Technics only made an ITCH controller that looked this good WITH the feel of a traditional 1200, it would be on...
Releaux 11:26 PM - 12 February, 2008
I use a pair of Denon S5000s and they work fine with SSL. I echo K. Smith's sentiments on choosing what works for you.
Mr. $weetlife 11:35 PM - 14 February, 2008
Quote:
...as long as it's not made by numark, unless you enjoy sending your decks in for repair a week after you get them back from the last repair job.

I can vouch for that! Good looking out DJmoneyd425, try to save our people some hard earned money and time!
MusicMeister 10:10 AM - 15 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Sheesh...

Those are for keeping the platter in place as you manipulate it.

I just wasn't clear in regards to what you mentioned...

www.djdeals.com

Those 2 notches on the platter...they're like warts that get in your way when you're manipulating the platter. Why are they there and what are they for?

I will say these thing look like a work of art. Now if Technics only made an ITCH controller that looked this good WITH the feel of a traditional 1200, it would be on...
Alixx J 11:10 AM - 15 February, 2008
I had the denon rackmount 6000 and they worked great with SSL, part from the buffer for moving the track back wasnt very long. With a CDJ i can spin the track back as long as i like, but not on the denon 6000, not sure what it's like on the other denon players.
djshong 3:07 PM - 15 February, 2008
Denon i'm gonna past i had the 5000's which where great proablly should of never switched to the 3500's which i got rid of for the technics SL-DZ1200 i did find a different platter record like switch is real smooth so currently i am satsified with these players actually like a 1200 to me...........
DJ Hi-Definition 11:31 AM - 29 January, 2009
i own a pair of DZ-1200 however my scratch live is on the way. Yes you can get these tables REALLY CHEAP ($515 each on amazon) and in my book there really nice tables.

these are my first tables (Upgrading to SL-1210MK5's) and there a great tool to practice on. i used othere CDJ's and i hate the "Jog W" i like the feel of a plater spinning under my finger tips but i havent used SL-1200 to compare yet. i'd say if you can find it for cheap... go for it
room213 5:16 AM - 31 January, 2009
Quote:
Go somewhere, try out the decks you're interested in and make a decision that way...

This should be made into a must read post before you can post in this forum.
DJ_PHAZE 4:48 PM - 31 January, 2009
They are great for more EDM application, for Turntablism and "spin backs" and tricks where you need to touch the platter nearer to the center... Tough shit. If they change that major design flaw (big ass screen in the middle og the unit) it would be a superb tool, and put Technics back in the digital realm instead of being ONLY The Epic Juggarnauth of Turntable construction!

they need to do something about the cheap ass feet tho, they always are the first to go.
DJDiablo 4:11 PM - 2 February, 2009
Guitar Center has them for an insanely cheap price considering how much they were when they came out. I stopped in yesterday and they were $3xx. I guess they're not selling and they practically want to give them away.
lvmez 4:59 PM - 2 February, 2009
i think i'm going to get a pair. if they are that cheap. they are great with serato. i'd like to use them with vsl.
Dj_Roger 5:32 PM - 2 February, 2009
I haven't jused the technics, but i own a pair of CDJ1000 and a pair of Numark HDX and i think the feeling is way better with the HDX
djbee64 6:19 AM - 4 February, 2009
i have a pair. great with ssl...no problems...but yeah...whateer makes you a better dj, go with that,,
DJHAROLDSQUARED 5:20 AM - 9 March, 2009
They (DZ1200's) work great with SSL. Just the way the deck should have from the get go. It's like I'm using the analog SL1200's. But whatever floats your boat.
jon-x 12:16 PM - 31 March, 2009
Hi guys

The SL-DZ1200 has a SD Card slot and can play SD Audio. Have anyone tried to insert the Serato timecode on the SD Card? It will be nice feature, because in this mode the CD tray isn't working - so in case of crash of the computer we can switch to play the "emergency CD" quick as possible.

Unfortunately I haven't Panasonic card reader so I can't try.
Leo Mann 10:26 PM - 20 January, 2011
I have a pair of dz's that have been sittn unused for about 4 years but I want to use them again. I also want to put ssl time code on sd card but I can't seem to find that mystery panasonic card reader. If anyone has it can I mail you some sd cards to put the time code on there?
Laz219 10:31 PM - 20 January, 2011
I'm not directly familiar with the DZs but they just use SD cards right?
All you should need is any standard USB-SD card reader that would be available for a few dollars in most shops.
Leo Mann 11:59 PM - 20 January, 2011
sldz1200 plays cd/mp3/sd card. i have a card reader but it doesnt work. the panasonic card reader comes with some special software i think to install files on the sd card and if its not used the dz will not read it. its one of the reasons i stopped using it. i got tired of burning mp3's and when i got ssl i just used my 1210's, but i really liked using my dz's so i'm looking for someone to help me put ssl time code on my sd cards.
Laz219 12:11 AM - 21 January, 2011
I assume it needs a certain folder structure then that the program creates, I had a bit of a dig around then but because they weren't too popular there isn't much information out there.
Leo Mann 12:15 AM - 21 January, 2011
yea. i guess i can start searching ebay for a panasonic card reader. i hate to just see my dz's collecting dust. those were my babies!
Laz219 12:19 AM - 21 January, 2011
I did see some listed on the UK ebay, already finished but at least there are still people selling them.
aj5000 12:22 AM - 21 January, 2011
The softwear/hardwear never made it to the US when I had mine before Serato now ( I wish I kept them to use with serato) I couldn't fine it. Only on some japan website but it could have changed. but it was a card hub reader with the softwear.

Good luck man there nice decks I wish I kept them for serato dam still not over that hahaha
Leo Mann 1:15 AM - 21 January, 2011
i was gonna sell them at one point to buy other gear but when i looked at them they were just too damn sexy to get rid of so i kept them in the coffin and put it under my bed. they sleep warm at night! once i get a card reader i will bust these classic beauties out again. i know they would work wonderfully in absolute mode with serato that way i can use the cue and sample banks and loop functions built in the deck. wouldnt need any dicers!
mastermind 2:03 AM - 21 January, 2011
1st.... where have you been. those cd players are a fail!!

2nd... The stupid software and card reader are close to imposible to find and once you do so good luck getting it to work properly

3rd... the truth.they sucked
Leo Mann 2:15 AM - 21 January, 2011
They have their faults but I still like them. I've had them since they came out and never had any real issues with them besides the sd card reader. I just want to play with them again, it's been awhile.
pdidy 2:19 AM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

My boy had a pair and they had a terrible feel to them (platter-wise). They've got this irritating notch on the platter too (not sure what it's for). I'd suggest a Pioneer CDJ 800 or some Denon as an alternative. .

this is exactly why i hate them, they feel terrible but they look great.
aj5000 3:13 AM - 21 January, 2011
To me there bad with CDs and as cd players but with serato there not that bad at alll
DJMark 3:41 AM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:

As CD players they were pretty bad...I remember them seeming to take forever to load a CD, the display in the middle was tiny and hard to read, and there was a real bad problem with scratching if keylock was turned on.

But none of those issues would really affect their usability with control CD's and Scratch Live, except for when the CD's are first loaded.

The "feel" thing would be the main issue, I guess...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:01 AM - 21 January, 2011
Technics screwed up by not putting some effort behind workign out the bugs in these jawns.

The Technics name is so strong that a LOT of us would have patiently waited for them to be stable.

Even I would have bought one...

Just to have...

That is a VERY sexy piece of equipment.
Dubplate10" 8:44 AM - 21 January, 2011
I had one of these in my setup (2x1210's and this Decks) all I can say is that its total rubbish.

Looks nice but thats about it.

Sold mine after 5 months and got Serato and just use the 1210's now.

Dont waste your money IMO - What mastermind is very true.
_Stuart 7:01 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
sldz1200 plays cd/mp3/sd card. i have a card reader but it doesnt work. the panasonic card reader comes with some special software i think to install files on the sd card and if its not used the dz will not read it. its one of the reasons i stopped using it. i got tired of burning mp3's and when i got ssl i just used my 1210's, but i really liked using my dz's so i'm looking for someone to help me put ssl time code on my sd cards.

no special software is required, there just standard wav files with the last 3 letters after the . in the filename set to what panasonic/technics use.

just copy them to your pc then rename them to .wav
edit in your preffered program, save at 44.1 khz wav file then rename them back to the technics/panasonic file extention
Leo Mann 8:21 PM - 21 January, 2011
I gonna try that when I get home. I will format the sd card in the dz and then change the ssl time code file into a .wav and drag and drop in the sd card.
FunkyRob 4:54 AM - 22 January, 2011
_Stuart, have you tried this?

I sought out the Panasonic RFA1869 card reader and bought a crappy ass little mp3 player that came with it.

I had to use the bunk music library program on a pc to make anything readable on the players.

Anything higher than a 128 AAC file was hit or miss, mostly miss. So I imagine that a wav file would have issues. From past experience the decks won't read anything higher than a 1GB SD card and those are hard to find because they are so small now.

It was easier for me to skip all this and just use the Control CD's that came with my SL1.
valdini 1:46 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

As CD players they were pretty bad...I remember them seeming to take forever to load a CD, the display in the middle was tiny and hard to read, and there was a real bad problem with scratching if keylock was turned on.

But none of those issues would really affect their usability with control CD's and Scratch Live, except for when the CD's are first loaded.
The "feel" thing would be the main issue, I guess...

They were good looking garbage. Ends

Every DJ that was paid $$$$ to support them ditched them as soon as they could.

Awful piece of kit, don;t get started on the keylock on those, you thought SSL was bad!!!!

K
_Stuart 5:26 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
_Stuart, have you tried this?

I sought out the Panasonic RFA1869 card reader and bought a crappy ass little mp3 player that came with it.

I had to use the bunk music library program on a pc to make anything readable on the players.

Anything higher than a 128 AAC file was hit or miss, mostly miss. So I imagine that a wav file would have issues. From past experience the decks won't read anything higher than a 1GB SD card and those are hard to find because they are so small now.

It was easier for me to skip all this and just use the Control CD's that came with my SL1.

i would have to agree, just use the serato time code cd's

i dont use my sldz, its just there collecting dust, lol.
if technics would have continued to support and improve the sldz like pioneer did with the 1000's then it would have been a great bit of kit, but in there infinite wisdom they decided to can it :(
O.B.1 11:35 PM - 23 January, 2011
ever get that "pac-man" effect when scratching?
DJ G Syde 7:15 PM - 11 March, 2011
Speaking from personal experience, I have been using the Pioneer CDJ 800MKII's for several years. True workhorses if you ask me. I've tried the Technics from another DJ and could definitely feel a difference. They don't perform quite as nice as the 800's. If anything, I'd upgrade to Pioneer 900's, 1000's or 2000's. Not rollin' in that kind of bread yet.
AKIEM 7:18 PM - 11 March, 2011
yeah - Im sure you would feel a dif - the Techs plater is rotating...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:57 AM - 12 March, 2011
Man, don't HATE on the Techs...

They LOOK great.
DJMark 10:30 AM - 12 March, 2011
Quote:
Man, don't HATE on the Techs...

They LOOK great.

LOL, looks like you've been reading a certain thread about headphones...
Kbombz 5:10 AM - 13 June, 2011
I was wondering if anyone could help me out... I have a pair of SLDZ's and I bought them from a friend in December... I can't cue the CD's, when I hit the cue button it takes me back to the first beat of the song. I have Searto SL1 that was given to me by a friend, when I tried using it with my tables it was acting crazy. I'm trying to figure out whether it's just not compatible with my laptop or if the Serato is broken. I must say that the tables so lag at times, mostly when I'm switching between songs. I know the tables probably need to get some work done, I don't know..
SELECT 1:59 PM - 13 June, 2011
Watch how bad the technics is compared to the other decks- Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Alkemy 4:20 PM - 13 June, 2011
Im selling the Technics SH-MZ1200 mixer. I didnt know they were so pricey. I want a basic scratch mixer and Ill install an innofader. I have no use for a 4 channel mixer at all.
pdidy 5:35 PM - 13 June, 2011
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me out... I have a pair of SLDZ's and I bought them from a friend in December... I can't cue the CD's, when I hit the cue button it takes me back to the first beat of the song. I have Searto SL1 that was given to me by a friend, when I tried using it with my tables it was acting crazy. I'm trying to figure out whether it's just not compatible with my laptop or if the Serato is broken. I must say that the tables so lag at times, mostly when I'm switching between songs. I know the tables probably need to get some work done, I don't know..

I assure you, this person is not your friend.....
_Stuart 9:01 PM - 13 June, 2011
www.usersmanualguide.com

the cue system on these is odd compared to pioneer, you really need to read the instructions several times to get to grips with how cue/stop and cue pads work on sldz 1200's, no easy way to explain it really.
sorry dude....
_Stuart 9:02 PM - 13 June, 2011
as for the lag, iv'e never had an issue with serato playback, but make sure your pitch lock on the sldz 1200 is off because it will interfere with the serato time code signal if its on
DJ'Que 10:06 PM - 13 June, 2011
been using my sldz1200 for about 2 years now with serato and vsl. no issues what so ever. they kill pioneers without a doubt. spinning platters omg. compared to non spinning platters.
i23.photobucket.com
i23.photobucket.com
i23.photobucket.com
i23.photobucket.com
i23.photobucket.com
I doubt all these people will tell you there a piece of shit when I use them. I get more comp. then I did with my 1200 and cdj1000.
aj5000 11:41 PM - 13 June, 2011
there is nothing wrong with the SLDZ1200 if you use it with Serato now as a CDJ with regular cds shit good luck with it. i'm trying to look for somebody that is selling them.
there a great Player with serato and would love to add them to my collection.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:12 AM - 14 June, 2011
I want one, just to have...
O.B.1 7:09 PM - 14 June, 2011
Quote:

just one?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 AM - 15 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

just one?

Yes...

I have no need for 2. I just want one to say I own one....
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:11 AM - 15 June, 2011
If they redid these as midi controllers they would rule.
AKIEM 1:52 AM - 15 June, 2011
Quote:
If they redid these as midi controllers they would rule.

was thinking I would do a mod....
Kbombz 10:36 PM - 20 June, 2011
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with the SLDZ1200 if you use it with Serato now as a CDJ with regular cds shit good luck with it. i'm trying to look for somebody that is selling them.
there a great Player with serato and would love to add them to my collection.

If you're interested in buying them... Let me know if you'd like to check them out. I'm willing to sell em at 350 a piece. I'm going to take them in to get checked out at an audio repair shop so we'll see what the verdict is on that. I tried reading the manual a few times but I'm still a bit confused on how everything works. :P
pdidy 5:47 AM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

just one?

Yes...

An that will be all they are good for. Trust me when i tell you they are SHIT-TY cd players and are undeserving of Technics name.
www.skratchworx.com
Dubplate10" 7:54 AM - 21 June, 2011
What pdidy said!
MrMoody 3:14 PM - 21 June, 2011
^^^ I co-sign. Bought one when they first came out. Was on Ebay in less than six months.
Dubplate10" 3:24 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
^^^ I co-sign. Bought one when they first came out. Was on Ebay in less than six months.

How much did you use it within that 6 months?

I used mine around 20 times in 3 years, least I sold it in mint condition so didnt loose too much money :)
MrMoody 4:00 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

How much did you use it within that 6 months?

I used mine around 20 times in 3 years, least I sold it in mint condition so didnt loose too much money :)

I used it pretty often in my home studio. It didn't live up to the hype, so I sold it.
I made the mistake of pre-ordering it, before actually testing one in person. I learned my lesson. Always do a test drive before you buy!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:22 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

just one?

Yes...

An that will be all they are good for. Trust me when i tell you they are SHIT-TY cd players and are undeserving of Technics name.
www.skratchworx.com

That review is HEARTBREAKING, but on point.

They should try going the "controller" route...

***can't believe I said that...***
DJ Guayo 12:40 PM - 19 August, 2011
Dammit... They are selling a pair for $550 in my area with cases... I so want to buy them and try to make them work.... but reading all these posts keep telling me they are shitty..... :-/
MrMoody 12:57 PM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:
Dammit... They are selling a pair for $550 in my area with cases... I so want to buy them and try to make them work.... but reading all these posts keep telling me they are shitty..... :-/

Save your money, trust me.
DJ'Que 4:39 PM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:
better jump on them I been using mines with serato and vsl for about 2 years now 4 nights a week. with no and I mean no problem. I even used real cds when we were changing dj's. if I was in your area I would buy them real fast. i see these bad post about them but gig with them 4 nights a week.
the_black_one 5:23 PM - 19 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
better jump on them I been using mines with serato and vsl for about 2 years now 4 nights a week. with no and I mean no problem. I even used real cds when we were changing dj's. if I was in your area I would buy them real fast. i see these bad post about them but gig with them 4 nights a week.

here u go sanantonio.craigslist.org
BattleFunk 5:30 PM - 19 August, 2011
sold mine and got CDJ1000's instead, they're awful =(
FunkyRob 5:50 PM - 19 August, 2011
The get the job for me at my mobile gigs. Feels & looks just like a turntable.

I don't need any of the button sample pad thingys because I just load in SSL control CD's and leave them in there all night.
Leo Mann 9:58 PM - 22 August, 2011
anybody got the ssl timecode on sd card? i need that. willing to pay
pdidy 4:44 AM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
anybody got the ssl timecode on sd card? i need that. willing to pay

ssl time code is free so no need to pay for it. just go here to get it and put it on your own card...serato.com
FunkyRob 6:32 AM - 23 August, 2011
The signal IS free, but the task of putting it on an SD card that will play on this unit is not so easy.

need a panasonic brand card reader

A special Panasonic Jukebox windows app that can convert the audio to a protected AAC file.

Kind of hard to find.

I bought a complete Panasonic SV-SD80 portable mp3/aac file player a while back, but still haven't really had the time to mess with it. If your lucky to find one of these long discontinued items, it comes with everything you'll need if you want to put tracks on an SD card for the DZ1200 to read.

I haven't bothered since I just use Serato CD's. One of these days, I'll play with it.
Dubplate10" 11:02 AM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:

Save you money!!!!
agzilla23 12:19 AM - 12 November, 2011
Slightly off topic..but it's a last desperate attempt after searching all over the net...

Does ANYONE have a copy of the SL-DZ1200 firmware 2.3 files for the Technics CD Deck?

I REALLY need to update the firmware on this one i've got so i can use it... If ANYONE can hook me up i would be really grateful... blessings and good karma, great fortune and luck shall fall upon the one who hooks this up!!!

So yeah... basically if anyone knows the deal...can help..please PM me or email agzilla1@gmail.com

Thanx!!!!

Zz.
DJ'Que 12:33 AM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
agzilla1@gmail.com
I just sent it to you.
agzilla23 12:57 AM - 12 November, 2011
My man... Sometimes the world is a beautiful and amazing place....

You just made my day...

I thank you....

Much Respect. One Love.

Zz.
FunkyRob 1:45 AM - 12 November, 2011
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that myself.

agzilla, keep in mind that you need a 64 MB SD card or smaller to put that on. It apparently won't work on a larger one.

Them little memory cards are hard to come by.

This guy explains, but sadly not in English.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Cuervo 3:46 AM - 12 November, 2011
justnoize 5:00 AM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
agzilla1@gmail.com
I just sent it to you.

Can you e-mail me too? Jmartinez88@me.com?
the_black_one 6:26 AM - 12 November, 2011
dude... just post it on here so folks can have access to it. That is NOT against forum rules.
justnoize 10:36 PM - 12 November, 2011
Quote:
dude... just post it on here so folks can have access to it. That is NOT against forum rules.

Justnoize Likes this
DJ'Que 7:42 PM - 13 November, 2011
Quote:
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that myself.

agzilla, keep in mind that you need a 64 MB SD card or smaller to put that on. It apparently won't work on a larger one.

Them little memory cards are hard to come by.

This guy explains, but sadly not in English.

Watchwww.youtube.com
I used a sony 32gb to install mines
DJ'Que 7:46 PM - 13 November, 2011
If anybody else needs it.
www.mediafire.com
dj SoniQ 8:51 PM - 6 March, 2012
Err, Thanks for putting up the file, but its no longer. Can you please upload again? or email to djsoniq@soundwisefx.com

Thanks!!!
DJ'Que 9:22 PM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Err, Thanks for putting up the file, but its no longer. Can you please upload again? or email to djsoniq@soundwisefx.com

Thanks!!!
Sent
dj SoniQ 9:55 PM - 6 March, 2012
Got it! thank you!
ral 7:52 PM - 20 March, 2012
just saw 3 pieces used of this cd player in nearby gc - for $200 - thinkin' of gettin' 1. hmmmmm.
ral 7:57 PM - 20 March, 2012
anyone tried using this vinyl surface? www.senseihaus.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:52 PM - 20 March, 2012
Must be from Craigslist :)
FunkyRob 12:05 AM - 21 March, 2012
ral,

senseihaus has a really shitty reputation of taking months to ship out orders.

the folks that have them, seem to really notice a difference.

www.facebook.com
ral 2:26 AM - 21 March, 2012
thanks man
InTheMix_NY 8:05 PM - 14 June, 2012
Need SL-DZ1200 V 2.3 update

Please help

email to InTheMix@comcast.net

or post link to file
O.B.1 7:27 PM - 16 June, 2012
I got to finally try out a pair of Technics SL-DZ1200's - a club I performed at in Japan had them as their in house set-up, along with on of those old school Technics DMC mixers.
Needless to say, it was less than ideal - platter control was janky, and absolutely no cut adjustment on the fader... at least I had an SL1 box and dicers.
dj madi 3:39 PM - 22 July, 2012
I've had my dzl1200's since 2005.I had problems since the day I had them.One of them, when I was playing cdr's would make a static/scratchy noise when playing tracks.If I had a cdr that had 20 tracks on it,the player would start acting crazy at track 12.I took it in to authorized techs in 2008 and they tried to charge me for work that they did not fix.Thats a whole other story.I only got them as a backup to my 1200's so I wasn't concerned about the problem.I bought serato in 2007 and used them with my regular turntables.I started playing out more and didn't want to drag my 1200's out cause i've had my babies since 95,to make a long story short they work fine with serato.I even bought the deck plates from sensihaus,(that is another story)But when the plates finally(hint) arrived
I noticed they vinyl plate felt very heavy. So i just spin with the vinyl plate off.The feel is much better using them without any slipmats or vinyl covers.
dj madi 3:50 PM - 22 July, 2012
I still prefer my 1200's over these.I ONLY USE THE CD PLAYERS WHEN I AM DOING A MOBILE GIG.At home Its the 1200's.
DJ'Que 4:33 PM - 22 July, 2012
Quote:
I've had my dzl1200's since 2005.I had problems since the day I had them.One of them, when I was playing cdr's would make a static/scratchy noise when playing tracks.If I had a cdr that had 20 tracks on it,the player would start acting crazy at track 12.I took it in to authorized techs in 2008 and they tried to charge me for work that they did not fix.Thats a whole other story.I only got them as a backup to my 1200's so I wasn't concerned about the problem.I bought serato in 2007 and used them with my regular turntables.I started playing out more and didn't want to drag my 1200's out cause i've had my babies since 95,to make a long story short they work fine with serato.I even bought the deck plates from sensihaus,(that is another story)But when the plates finally(hint) arrived
I noticed they vinyl plate felt very heavy. So i just spin with the vinyl plate off.The feel is much better using them without any slipmats or vinyl covers.

I had that static & scratchin sound. Then found out on YouTube what it was and it was a 10 minutes fix. Took of the top display and cleaned the cd eyes on both. Just used them yesterday. Hell i use them all the time.
dj tres 5:45 PM - 8 February, 2013
I am gettting a pair for cheap today. me personally i got a numark NS7 and reason why i love platters that spins, it give me that old school feeling i remember but with a new school twist. tats why i am getting them. After reading some yall posting, some good some bad, but i always say this every Dj is comfortable with different things, different programs and software. Some the bad is mostly because of people comfort.....
davelive 4:14 PM - 10 February, 2013
Here a video I made about using the DZ-1200s with Serato

youtu.be
DJ DisGrace 4:37 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:

youtu.be

I want to see someone cutting on one, then I may reconsider all the bad reviews. This product failure was not publicity driven, it's just a bad product. Plain and simple.

Nice bootleg Urrrsher video...
davelive 4:48 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

I want to see someone cutting on one, then I may reconsider all the bad reviews. This product failure was not publicity driven, it's just a bad product. Plain and simple.

Nice bootleg Urrrsher video...

Like the video said, the product had issues and it was abandoned before the firmware was released that fixed a lot of the issues. I would like to see someone do a cutting demonstration too.

The Usher video was just used for the demonstration only as a joke and was deleted after making this video. I find it pretty pathetic you had to point that out because it makes you come across as just being a jerk. Thanks for your opinion.
DJ DisGrace 5:05 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Like the video said, the product had issues and it was abandoned before the firmware was released that fixed a lot of the issues. I would like to see someone do a cutting demonstration too.

Don't get me wrong. Your video made some good points, but it's an uphill battle in this case. There are just too many bad reviews, pre- and post-firmware. The only other guy on the forum that maintains it's a quality product argued for months that his component out video recording on a DVD burner was "high quality".

If Technics ever did make a new version of the DL1200 with some buil-tin midi control and HID support, it would be a game changer!

Quote:
I find it pretty pathetic you had to point that out because it makes you come across as just being a jerk.

You must be new around here.... Video pirates get no love around here. Welcome to the forum!
davelive 5:22 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. Your video made some good points, but it's an uphill battle in this case. There are just too many bad reviews, pre- and post-firmware. The only other guy on the forum that maintains it's a quality product argued for months that his component out video recording on a DVD burner was "high quality".

If Technics ever did make a new version of the DL1200 with some buil-tin midi control and HID support, it would be a game changer!

Actually component out video recording is high quality but since the recording is going to a DVD burner it can only be in "standard definition". Component video can do up to 1080P HD and doesn't have copy protection/encryption like HDMI does. That other guy actually sounds like he knows what he is talking about honestly.
DJ DisGrace 5:28 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
....argued for months that his composite out...

autocorrect fail
davelive 5:33 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
....argued for months that his composite out...

autocorrect fail

Ahhh...yeah huge difference between composite and component. Composite out is horrible.
Cuervo 6:04 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:

youtu.be

How the Technics SL-DZ1200 works with Serato SL? I have the chance to buy one just like new for $250. I am looking for something lighter than the Technics 1210, whats the weight of the DZ-1200?

Can i use one DZ-1200 with instant doubles right?
davelive 6:36 PM - 10 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

How the Technics SL-DZ1200 works with Serato SL? I have the chance to buy one just like new for $250. I am looking for something lighter than the Technics 1210, whats the weight of the DZ-1200?

It seems to work well with Serato SL using serato timecode CDs or timecode SD cards
It weighs 5.8 kg (12.8 lb.)

All specs and manual for the DZ-1200 here: service.us.panasonic.com
MusicMeister 1:39 AM - 11 February, 2013
All the problems with the DZ's are pretty straightforward. Some are a problem based on the time it was released, some were firmware issues, and some were just poorly thought out on the product.

Here's a run down on my own knowledge and experiences with the product. I'll list all the known issues first:

1. Scratching sounds like ass but it was fixed with firmware. Lots of videos on this issue, but it was fixed in firmware and the upgrade process is pretty simple.

2. SD cards don't support MP3. They support a copy protection scheme that requires a specific software, SD reader, and is basically a nightmare. In general, it sucks. Period. Don't even try using SD cards unless you plan to record samples on them direct from the decks for playback.

3. MP3 CD support is lackluster at best. They limit you to 128kbps CBR or less. You can't use VBR on the decks or higher bit rates.

4. SD cards have to be pretty small. IIRC, under 2GB.

Niceties:

1. Active turntable can have a nice 'feel' and at one point vinyl was available to put on the tops.

2. The display is nice and will 'turn' if you opt for a different layout.

3. All the problems basically disappear once you hook them up to a DVS and drop in timecode CD's. ;)

I used mine for years without any issues at all with both an SL1 (when I worked with a friend who had one) and the M-Audio Conectiv (Torq). I loved them but over time I moved on to controllers more and more and finally sold them a while back and moved to either a controller or turntables.

All in all, if you get them cheap they're nice as long you can live with the limitations.
DJMark 3:13 AM - 11 February, 2013
I don't think one big issue was ever fixed with firmware, and is a deal-killer by itself:

They're probably the slowest-loading CD players ever made. Seemed like it took forever from the time a CD was put in to actually being able to play something.

That by itself was my main reason for never even considering them (though they sure looked awesome at first glance).

The 1986-era looking tiny display was another major issue.
Laz219 5:18 AM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
I don't think one big issue was ever fixed with firmware, and is a deal-killer by itself:

They're probably the slowest-loading CD players ever made. Seemed like it took forever from the time a CD was put in to actually being able to play something.

That by itself was my main reason for never even considering them (though they sure looked awesome at first glance).

The 1986-era looking tiny display was another major issue.

With timecode though....it doesn't matter. One CD load at the start of the night and you're set.
davelive 5:26 AM - 11 February, 2013
MusicMeister is correct.

The SD cards are limited to a MAXIMUM of 1 GB so they are pointless for music. The only possible use for them I can see is using timecode on them to control a DVS. Then at least you wouldn't have to use a CD. Even though, as Laz219 says, load either 1 CD or 1 SD card in the deck and you are set if you are using a DVS so load time isn't a problem then.

I just loaded a music CD into my DZ 1200 and timed how long it takes to load the CD and be able to play. It is 7 to 8 seconds. I guess that would be pretty slow. I don't recall how long other CD deck takes to load a CD.
Cuervo 11:26 PM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

It seems to work well with Serato SL using serato timecode CDs or timecode SD cards

Ok, so i only paid $200 for the DZ-1200, I am using the TTM57, Kontrol X1 and one Technics DZ-1200, it works pretty well.

I have the files to do the firmware update I only need the SD 32MB card.

I only have one question. Where do you buy the vinyl for this baby?
Cuervo 11:26 PM - 11 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Ok, so i only paid $200 for the DZ-1200, I am using the TTM57, Kontrol X1 and one Technics DZ-1200, it works pretty well.

I have the files to do the firmware update I only need the SD 32MB card.

pdidy 12:11 AM - 12 February, 2013
I wanted so bad to like these but they have by far the worst platter design and feel . These issues can never be fixed.
davelive 4:47 PM - 12 February, 2013
Quote:

Do NOT go to Senseihaus website to get the vinyl for the DZ 1200 decks. They will never ship the product to you. I ordered from them last month and had to get my money back by making a claim through paypal. If anyone else knows another place you can get the vinyl for the DZ 1200 decks please let me know.
Discobee 6:05 PM - 15 February, 2013
Option B: Buy one, or a pair of the Denon 3900 media player! Modern & current technology, spinning platters, smaller in size, and it reads CDs, MP3 CDs, USB drives and has Hybrid MIDI for use with Scratch Live. Easy breezy!
Cuervo 4:30 AM - 16 February, 2013
I been using the Technics DZ-1200 and i love it! Its perfect for Serato SL, I have 2 Technics 1210M5G one of them is packed in his box now.

I think the DZ-1200 is the perfect choice if you are a mobile DJ, I'll try to buy another one so I can keep my 1210 at home.

I tried the pioneer 850, 900 and 1000 and the denon 3700 but for me the Technics DZ1200 its the best cdj, I start djing using the technics 1210 thats why I love the DZ1200. Two weeks ago i had in mind to buy a pioneer 900 but I saw an add on CL, I only spent $200 and I am very, very happy with my choice, I only need the vinyl and the firmware update, I do not know if is necessary because the DZ1200 works fine with Serato SL.

If you want a nice and light set up just buy the TTM57 and two Technics DZ-1200 and you are ready to go, take advantage, there are too many DZ1200 at a very low price, I do not know why, I really do not know why.
d:raf 4:39 AM - 16 February, 2013
By "vinyl", do you mean this? www.ebay.com
Cuervo 4:51 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:

Yes, but I'll wait for a guy who is going to sell that "sleep disc" or "vinyl" + SD card with the Serato control tone.
pdidy 6:11 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:
If you want a nice and light set up just buy the TTM57 and two Technics DZ-1200 and you are ready to go, take advantage, there are too many DZ1200 at a very low price, I do not know why, I really do not know why.

Well that would be because the DZ1200 is precised as the worst cdj in history by the most experienced and respected djs. The reason they can be had at such a low price is because the word is out and those who know are dumping them by any means necessary.
the_black_one 6:25 AM - 16 February, 2013
they joints are hot garbage....
phatbob 10:19 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:

That's an original replacement part.

There was a company making actual vinyl discs to fit, but they seem to have disappeared.

Guess making aftermarket parts for a player which most people think is junk, and sold very poorly, isn't the best business model.
davelive 1:41 AM - 17 February, 2013
There is a guy on the DZ 1200 facebook group that is going to start selling real vinyl discs to be used on the DZ 1200. He just posted what they look like today on there.
DJ DisGrace 2:27 AM - 17 February, 2013
Quote:
There is a guy on the DZ 1200 facebook group that is going to start selling real vinyl discs to be used on the DZ 1200. He just posted what they look like today on there.

Bot bad, only 10 yrs late to the party. Solid business model =P
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 AM - 18 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Chances are that a "cult" following will eventually develop....

it IS a very sexy looking piece of equipment.....
davelive 4:28 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:

He is starting because the other company that was making the discs stopped shipping them.

Quote:
Chances are that a "cult" following will eventually develop....

it IS a very sexy looking piece of equipment.....

+1
I think this is probably the main reason why there are still some that use this equipment and are willing to deal with the firmware updates and vinyl add ons to be able to make it valid to use.
DJ GaFFle 11:19 PM - 19 February, 2013
Do the aftermarket vinyls still have those rhino 'nipples' on them? (nm)
davelive 4:22 PM - 20 February, 2013
If there is a way I can post a photo in the forum I'll copy the photo of the vinyl for the DZ-1200 from the Facebook DZ-1200 fan group to this thread.
davelive 5:01 AM - 3 March, 2013
Here is a demonstration on using SD Cards on the DZ-1200 with Serato.

youtu.be
DJ'Que 7:55 PM - 3 March, 2013
Been using my sl dz 1200 for about 4 years now. No complaints at all. Yeah sensi haus also stopped shipping the vinyl and i got my money back.. I haven't used the sd slot on mines but I'm going to now
DJ'Que 1:03 AM - 4 March, 2013
Quote:
Here is a demonstration on using SD Cards on the DZ-1200 with Serato.

youtu.be
what format is the timecode recorded in.
davelive 8:28 AM - 10 March, 2013
Quote:
what format is the timecode recorded in.

AAC format at 128 (Highest quality format possible on the SD Cards on the DZ)
DJ'Que 8:22 PM - 10 March, 2013
what is the sd card formatted to
davelive 4:11 AM - 11 March, 2013
Quote:

Sorry. I don't understand the question.
the_black_one 4:22 AM - 11 March, 2013
fat
Quote:

fat32
davelive 4:43 AM - 11 March, 2013
I used the DZ 1200 itself to format the cards.
Leo Mann 8:24 AM - 3 April, 2013
Damn I miss my dz's. My house was broken into on Halloween and most of my equipment was stolen besides the shit I was using on a gig that night. Must of been some bitch boy that knew I was working that night. My place has more surveillance than scarface house now and I got me a hunting license for punk bitches too. My state got hunting licenses for everything now. Gotta love Texas!
A-rod 3:45 PM - 22 April, 2013
Damn sorry to hear that you had a break in! I know how that feels, lost a korgN1 keyboard ,2 korg Ms2000 racks, a roland 808 and a crate of records once from that years ago! Still ache's to think about that. I just saw this thread and coincidently have a dz1200 that has been sitting in my closet for about three years. After reading this I'd really like to get it back running. Here's the problem, It works fine except for the cd drive which is shot and the reason i put it away.. However the SD card reader seems to work just fine. So I need the firmware update and apparently the panasonic/technics "jukebox" program which I cannot seem to find. Any help would be awesome!
Fahari 12:29 AM - 5 June, 2013
Fahari 12:31 AM - 5 June, 2013
Repair your Technics SL-DZ1200. Click on links below:

faharisound.files.wordpress.com

faharisound.wordpress.com
Rock'n'Dj 4:21 AM - 24 October, 2013
KiSS... Dj styles and dj needs are as vast and varied as drummers are with their drum kits, the same effect can be achieved with a snare, base drum and high-hat as a dj with BSR turntables and 2 channel mixer... It's all up the the performer with what they are comfortable with to keep floors filled and energized. I've been spinnin' since 76', used 1200s when they first came out shortly thereafter, both on the road and in clubs. The switch over to the dz1200s was a natural one and I still knock socks off and rock dance floors to this day... my formula - Keepn' things simple... There's way too many buttons to push and options to keep most pilots busy. Anything with a motor will break down, software freezes laptops - rebooting takes time... Loading a dz1200 only seconds. I used to carry 3 carriages as backup for the 1200s now I carry 2 iPads as backup, enough to finish a gig... I still have the 1200s!
sesga 6:11 AM - 29 January, 2014
They are the best ever build,these days people like to go the easy way,controllers AUTO SYNC jummm scary,SOFT WARES ETC,they will make you work and learn like you are supposed to,whether you are a turntablist or just a dj trying to learn how to mix well,but people want to get perfect thinks and don't like to work it out and adapt yourself to all kind of situations,well respect every body it's free to play whit, whatever they want to,these decks will refine your ears,natural times and will make you a better dj,they don't help you at all,so I don't recommend them for people that prefers something easy,quality performance it's amazing,I have mines and I have not update them yet,and I will not do,that's how I like it,they make me work every time I play whit them,the best decks ever personally I'm convince of that,new technology has change our minds,everything that does not sound perfect or mix perfect like those dj sets whit controllers computers and AUTO SYNC jummm scary, IT'S not acceptable any more,I'm not against all this new technology I think it's amazing, but it's turning us into lazy dj's.,respect to everyone peace and work it out.,
pdidy 11:26 AM - 29 January, 2014
^^^^this guy is so Ashamed of them he made up a fake new name just to reply to this old thread......lol
Park's 10:10 PM - 12 March, 2015
I can make you Sd card for the DZ 😜
HighTopFade 4:32 AM - 17 March, 2015
SD Card works pretty good. Only downside is not being able to set the pitch range to 33 and 50%.

I'm guessing it totally eliminates the wear and tear on the CD mechanism.
Park's 6:31 AM - 17 March, 2015
That right, but who really need plus 33% & 50%
Park's 8:56 PM - 5 May, 2015
You get no wear & tear & no skipping CDs.
PopRoXxX 5:00 PM - 7 May, 2015
I'm probabaly SUPER SUPER late to this DZ party ......

But, damn bro (on this link): djworx.com
Park's 6:24 PM - 7 May, 2015
Check this out

www.facebook.com
Park's 6:24 PM - 7 May, 2015
no screen at all.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:01 PM - 7 May, 2015
Quote:
Check this out

www.facebook.com

You got a video of it working with a phone?? That I have to see......
Park's 7:10 PM - 7 May, 2015
YouTube link's

www.youtube.com

First mod - Watchwww.youtube.com

Second mod with no screen he moved the cd controller to the top right hand corner buttons - Watchwww.youtube.com
d:raf 8:26 PM - 7 May, 2015
PopRoXxX 4:14 PM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:
Check this out

www.facebook.com

That totally kills my link. lol!

Quote:
Second mod with no screen he moved the cd controller to the top right hand corner buttons - Watchwww.youtube.com

Awesome
HighTopFade 4:20 AM - 9 May, 2015
Seriously considering the original mod. I still need the display.
Park's 8:08 AM - 9 May, 2015
Why do you need the display ?
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:08 PM - 9 May, 2015
sad to think that if this technics cd player took off like the pioneers did we'd still have technics making dj gear
HighTopFade 3:41 PM - 9 May, 2015
Quote:
Why do you need the display ?

It's a CD Player. I still listen to CDs.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:46 PM - 9 May, 2015
This is awesome but that price is steep, not saying it's not worth but I got other things to spend 1500 on. At least the set I see on eBay is going for that much......

Wonder how much it'd be if I only had the midi option added.

As for the display I guess it's still needed for those times when I am playing a cd but that far and few inbetween anymore.
Park's 3:48 PM - 9 May, 2015
I have mine, still do gig's
every weekend & not modded, I don't think I could mod them, but I have real vinyl as the slipmat & it play's on a 1210.
HighTopFade 3:14 AM - 10 May, 2015
Nice to know these are still being used regularly.
Park's 11:04 PM - 21 May, 2015
Quote:
sad to think that if this technics cd player took off like the pioneers did we'd still have technics making dj gear

i wish it did.
DJ Vivacious 6:51 PM - 18 June, 2015
Hello, does anyone on here know how to use the SLDZ 1200 players with a pioneer DJM 850 mixer and Serato DJ
DJ Vivacious 6:52 PM - 18 June, 2015
I am aware that the Serato box is no longer needed and I am Using the settings as mentioned in the quick start guide
d:raf 6:55 PM - 18 June, 2015
Quote:
I am aware that the Serato box is no longer needed and I am Using the settings as mentioned in the quick start guide

Don't know where you heard that... from what I read about the 850 it's "Certified for use with Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Duo 2 DJ software " but not SDJ.
PopRoXxX 6:58 PM - 18 June, 2015
Yes. You need to get "Club Kit" from Serato to use Pioneer's 900Nexus & 850 mixers without a SL box
d:raf 6:59 PM - 18 June, 2015
^ Yup... I stand corrected. serato.com
Park's 2:07 PM - 13 October, 2015
Been running my DZ off sd card, don't use the cd drive. It never skips. Works perfect.
Alby alby 7:01 PM - 17 June, 2016
Hello, help me, i have 2 sl dz 1200 firmware 2.3,i want load mp3 on sd card.... Is possible on sd no panasonic and i no have sd read/ Write panasonic but i have normal sd card reader and Write.... Thanks
Park's 9:32 AM - 18 June, 2016
No you need the Panasonic card reader, Some Panasonic software called SD Jukebox & a Windows XP computer.

All the above is needed to put .mp3 on SD Card.
Alby alby 3:43 PM - 18 June, 2016
Ok, Where can find Jukebox free?... It is my email albastw@hotmail.com ,thanks for help me
Alby alby 1:51 AM - 19 June, 2016
Ok, i have download sd Jukebox v5 Witherspoon serial.... Now i have a sdxc 256mb, and use read /Write sd card of the PC, When i want format card of program Jokebox i see messagge no sd card.... The program not see drive Where is the sd card.... Can you help me for load mp3 on sd card?.... Thanks.... There is a guide on internet?
Park's 2:09 AM - 19 June, 2016
I'll say again you need the Panasonic SD card reader NO OTHER CARD READER WILL WORK.

You need Wondows XP & SD jukebox. Then the program may see the SD CARD.
Park's 10:20 AM - 19 June, 2016
Come & add you self to this page on Facebook, We will help you sort it out.

www.facebook.com
DJ Yaitanis 11:22 AM - 9 June, 2018
Quote:
All the problems with the DZ's are pretty straightforward. Some are a problem based on the time it was released, some were firmware issues, and some were just poorly thought out on the product.

Here's a run down on my own knowledge and experiences with the product. I'll list all the known issues first:

1. Scratching sounds like ass but it was fixed with firmware. Lots of videos on this issue, but it was fixed in firmware and the upgrade process is pretty simple.

2. SD cards don't support MP3. They support a copy protection scheme that requires a specific software, SD reader, and is basically a nightmare. In general, it sucks. Period. Don't even try using SD cards unless you plan to record samples on them direct from the decks for playback.

3. MP3 CD support is lackluster at best. They limit you to 128kbps CBR or less. You can't use VBR on the decks or higher bit rates.

4. SD cards have to be pretty small. IIRC, under 2GB.

Niceties:

1. Active turntable can have a nice 'feel' and at one point vinyl was available to put on the tops.

2. The display is nice and will 'turn' if you opt for a different layout.

3. All the problems basically disappear once you hook them up to a DVS and drop in timecode CD's. ;)

I used mine for years without any issues at all with both an SL1 (when I worked with a friend who had one) and the M-Audio Conectiv (Torq). I loved them but over time I moved on to controllers more and more and finally sold them a while back and moved to either a controller or turntables.

All in all, if you get them cheap they're nice as long you can live with the limitations.

I stumbled on this Discussion last night (yes I read the posts to help with sleep) and thought, I have 2 of these somewhere in my house, and low and behold I found them this morning, in the original boxes in pristine condition. I guess over the years I had forgotten about them.

I can however see these units making some sort of a comeback now that Rane has released the Rane 12's. Which are no lighter than the SL1200's. These clock in at about 11.75 lbs - about as heavy as a 2000NSX. 12.5 x 12.5, the "Platter" is 9.5" from vinyl and 10.5" platter. The thing in the middle is useless and i can see pulling that out for the MOD however I dont see cutting one of my 12" ep's. You can get mods for this from Sam at Pimp my Decks.

They work pretty well and the signal to Serato DJ Pro, Traktor Pro and Rekordbox DJ is very clean. All of the functions on the actual deck dont work, so you need a S9 or T1 or a Mixer with alot of buttons. I sent mine up with a DDJ T1 and the total layout is less than 34" x 16" Not bad.
Park's 12:12 PM - 9 June, 2018
Highest bit rate is 192kbps & VBR works too.

1gb sd cards work & smaller ones work too. Anything bigger than 1gb like 2gb will not work in the DZ
HighTopFade 2:49 PM - 9 June, 2018
Quote:
They work pretty well and the signal to Serato DJ Pro, Traktor Pro and Rekordbox DJ is very clean. All of the functions on the actual deck dont work, so you need a S9 or T1 or a Mixer with alot of buttons. I sent mine up with a DDJ T1 and the total layout is less than 34" x 16" Not bad.

The layout area is the reason why I hang on to my pair. If full size turntables don't fit, DZ1200s it is. And if DZ1200s don't fit, then I'll settle using a controller. The extra time to setup doesn't bother me for the luxury of having spinning platters and a mixer with hardware effects. The Serato time code signal is on SD and I don't think this is something that will fail. My guess, it's less use on the CD mechanism which may fail. Regardless, I have time code CDs just in case. These are worth buying if you can get a pair on the cheap.
Dupie 11:44 PM - 7 September, 2018
Hey guys. Living in sa were tecks pulled out long ago. Quite intrested in the convertion sldz to mk2
Any coments if it worth it?
DaltonSR20 12:11 AM - 8 September, 2018
I hear is worth it but I personally haven't done so because I can't justify the price for this mod. I think roughly, the asking price for the mod is like $70-$90 and really it just comes down to a fabricated metal bracket that has a ball bearing attached to it with a spindle pressed in.

imgur.com

The kit comes with 2 spindles, 2 10 inch vinyls (which you could find all day at a thrift store/goodwill for $1 each), two 1gb-2gb SD cards with 8 hour time codes (you could also just burn a CDR with a 1 track mp3 that has the timecode that goes for as long as it can), and some instructions.

Stuart makes them, DJ J-Tek also uses a spindle for his 10" Technics Conversion (he attaches a tonearm to the DZ) but neither one of them are sharing what parts they use or how to make. I'll venture into sourcing some parts to do a DIY and share the knowledge.
v@l 8:46 PM - 6 November, 2018
Im did my mod myself with my on concept of what i wanted i have also added dicers inside rhe sldz will post soon
www.instagram.com
DaltonSR20 12:56 AM - 7 November, 2018
Quote:
Im did my mod myself with my on concept of what i wanted i have also added dicers inside rhe sldz will post soon
www.instagram.com

Where did you get the center spindles from?
Djmikz_ph 8:25 AM - 21 December, 2019
any updates or shares on this mod? Thanks!
Chino 9:54 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:

I have a set with this mod done. I run Serato timecode off of the SD card slot. Works well.
Quote:

I have a set with this mod done. I run Serato timecode off of the SD card slot. Works well.
Quote:

Djmikz_ph 9:26 AM - 25 January, 2020
Great! I just a set and now running with serato using the time code cd.
Need to find a new sound card.

Thanks,
Chino 4:56 AM - 26 January, 2020
Quote:
Great! I just a set and now running with serato using the time code cd.
Need to find a new sound card.

Do you need the Serato timecode on SD cards?
Park's 3:29 PM - 4 September, 2020
no you can us ads or sd cards, just sd cards don't burn out you laser
Park's 3:30 PM - 4 September, 2020
no you can us cds or sd cards, just sd cards don't burn out you laser
Chino 2:24 PM - 11 September, 2020
*UPDATE*

I have recently performed an MK3 mod to the SLDZs...

The 10" vinyl is no longer stuck to the plastic rotating platter using ultra thin velcro/double sided tape. Instead, I put a butter rug on the bottom of the vinyl & I use Phase. The feel is great!!

BIG SHOUT OUT to the guys over at the SLDZ Facebook group for improving on the MK2 mod design!!!
Chino 2:24 PM - 11 September, 2020
*UPDATE*

The 10" vinyl is no longer stuck to the plastic rotating platter using ultra thin velcro/double sided tape. Instead, I put a butter rug on the bottom of the vinyl & I use Phase. The feel is great!!

BIG SHOUT OUT to the guys over at the SLDZ Facebook group for improving on the MK2 mod design!!!
Djkom 1:18 PM - 12 September, 2020
Quote:
*UPDATE*

Any video showing this new mod ?
Chino 3:48 PM - 12 September, 2020
Quote:
Any video showing this new mod ?

Ill try to make a vid this week & let you know when its been posted.