DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DIY: how to "paint" technics 1200s black

DJPolska 6:30 AM - 10 June, 2012
whats up everyone, i did one of my tables couple months ago and then finally did the other one today, wanted to make sure it all works good.

I decided to shoot a small diy video on it so check it out if anyone is interested in paint or more accordantly plasti dipping your tables black or possibly other colors.

plasti dip is the coolest stuff ever haha i got addicted to it when i found out about it...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Anu 10:22 PM - 10 June, 2012
Good stuff .......I like the LED kit on your bike also.....
str8nger 1:27 AM - 11 June, 2012
i would never do that to my 1200s. that is just sloppy in my opinion. but each to there own.
Logisticalstyles 2:56 AM - 11 June, 2012
Yeah, I agree that it does look sloppy. I think you should have taken the turntable apart instead of just taping off certain areas. Painting just the metal chassis would have looked a whole lot better. Does the Plati-dip peel off?
DJPolska 6:09 AM - 11 June, 2012
how does it look sloppy? if you are talking about the pitch slider then thats because i didn't finish cleaning it up with the razor when the video was taken.

it looks about 10x better then the stock tables. If they were brand new, then of course i wouldn't do this. But mine are god knows how old and not best condition.

Yes it peels off and looks very good. To take apart the turntable, and get it powder coated your looking at about 100-300 bucks if you take it apart yourself, or 400-500 if you someone like pimpmyturntables.com to take care of you.

THIS IS REVERSIBLE PROCESS. i can peel the whole thing off in literally one piece in about 90 seconds lol

I take care of my equipment, and trust me this does look good :) especially for 5$.
AKIEM 5:30 PM - 11 June, 2012
Won't it peal off from use tho?
Logisticalstyles 5:43 PM - 11 June, 2012
I think it looks sloppy because you covered over the 33/45 speed buttons, and the power switch. Also as you pointed out you didn't clean up the pitch slider. You also sprayed the stuff on the base of the tone arm. That's why, In My Opinion, it looks sloppy. Taking the turntable apart costs nothing but time and it only takes about 30 minutes to do that. The end result regardless of whether you are using powder coating, spray can, or Plasti-dip would look much more cleaner than just taping off some areas.
str8nger 6:13 PM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
I think it looks sloppy because you covered over the 33/45 speed buttons, and the power switch. Also as you pointed out you didn't clean up the pitch slider. You also sprayed the stuff on the base of the tone arm. That's why, In My Opinion, it looks sloppy. Taking the turntable apart costs nothing but time and it only takes about 30 minutes to do that. The end result regardless of whether you are using powder coating, spray can, or Plasti-dip would look much more cleaner than just taping off some areas.

Yea! Totally agree
AIRX ONE 6:14 PM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
i would never do that to my 1200s. that is just sloppy in my opinion. but each to there own.

+1 .... sloppy... if you are going to do something do it right
djaction 7:28 PM - 11 June, 2012
considering what 1200's were worth and ARE worth.. and the fact that they are no longer made..

why the hell would you opt to spend $5 instead of having it done professionally for $200-300?

Can't help but think of it being the same as rattle-can spray painting a $120k benz instead of having it professionally painted
DJPolska 3:38 AM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
considering what 1200's were worth and ARE worth.. and the fact that they are no longer made..

why the hell would you opt to spend $5 instead of having it done professionally for $200-300?

Can't help but think of it being the same as rattle-can spray painting a $120k benz instead of having it professionally painted

AGAIN THIS IS NOT PAINT!!!! spray paint is a permanent solution, a terrible solution indeed.

yes you could do a 120k benz, this is a 62k s5.
www.dipyourcar.com

its like vinyl wrap so it can be peeled off.
AKIEM 3:50 AM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
DJPolska 3:51 AM - 12 June, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com

here is a small follow up for you guys, i show you how easy and clean the plasti dip comes off if you decide to remove it. I cleaned it up a bit, i remove it from the rpm buttons, as well the power switch. check it out
DJPolska 3:52 AM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

it will not peel off. It sticks very well to the surface, if it can handle snow rain and power washing, i don't think there is anything that a turntable should go through that will make it peel ;)
AKIEM 3:54 AM - 12 June, 2012
Interesting.
str8nger 4:23 AM - 12 June, 2012
i think you can do it right if you where to mask everything properly do the prep work done right it would look a little better, but i still would not have the balls to spray my 1200s........ i rather buy 12"skinz in black....
DJPolska 4:37 AM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
i think you can do it right if you where to mask everything properly do the prep work done right it would look a little better, but i still would not have the balls to spray my 1200s........ i rather buy 12"skinz in black....

i was thinking about buying the faceplate while ago as well. But what kind of prep work? there is really no prep work involved with plastidip besides the platter taping off.

everything else is easier to be peeled off after it dries vs taping it off and there is a good reason for that, but you would have to watch the tutorial videos on youtube from dipyourcar.com

this causes zero damage to the turntables, otherwise i wouldn't do it.

There is people that put sl boxes into their 1000 dollar mixers etc, this is really nothing harmful and i think it looks real good. NO NOT POWDERCOAT good, but better then what they looked like before.
AIRX ONE 5:11 AM - 12 June, 2012
BIG WAST OF TIME .... work on your skills
RogerRabbit 5:28 AM - 12 June, 2012
It does look that bad - you can always get a black pitch slider decal & stickers to make it look more official.
www.ebay.com
DJPolska 6:34 AM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
It does look that bad - you can always get a black pitch slider decal & stickers to make it look more official.
www.ebay.com

yeh i could but i really don't mind the pitch slider being silver, not that serious.

its not a waste of time cuz it took me literally 10 minutes to do (not including time between coats).
LOL
Anu 7:59 PM - 12 June, 2012
If your TT's scratched up and faded this shit is easy.......

It could be done cleaner but FuK iT.....

This stuff is durable .....
DjWillKill 8:50 PM - 12 June, 2012
i did this a while back to my 1200. The one thing i did was took the table complete apart. the one thing that sucks is that the sides are now starting to rub off because of taking them in and out of the case. but this 10 dollar solution is great and it peels right off.

gallery.me.com
DjWillKill 9:37 PM - 12 June, 2012
My Process. I plan on making a video when i redo my first 1200. ill also show how easy this stuff can come off.

1. Strip Table. Put screws in a bag and label where you took them from. (makes putting the table back together much faster)
use this guys video if you dont know how to do that.Watchwww.youtube.com

2. Clean Table. Remove all stickers and dirt as much as possible.

3. Mask off the bottom the electrical cover. you want to block off all of those vents. (With this process you could probably leave the motor and main board in. i took mine out to be extra careful.) You also want to mask and cover the whole underneath the plate where the cables from the light, start/stop and pitch fader connect to the main board. Screw electric cover back on the plate.

4. After prep find a clean area to paint. shake plasti dip for about 1 to 2 minutes. when spraying the faceplate start spraying away from plate and move toward it about 6 inches away for best results.

5. i recommend 6-8 coats for the best look. waiting about hour in-between coats.

6. let the dip set for about a day before reassemble.

imgur.com
Dj Bacik 1:35 AM - 13 June, 2012
This is how you do it. Stripping the tables is worth it for the finished product.

www.facebook.com
DJPolska 5:12 AM - 14 June, 2012
it is worth and it is not worth, there is nothing that stripping would allow me to dip that i didn't dip now. The pitch slider you can't dip, otherwise you will cover the numbers.

Yeah there is different techniques on using plasti dip, after all my motorcycle has parts plasti dipped i looked into it a lot. If i was going to hustle with taking the table apart, of it would go for a nice candy powder coating job :) .....maybe soon.
DJPolska 5:18 AM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
i did this a while back to my 1200. The one thing i did was took the table complete apart. the one thing that sucks is that the sides are now starting to rub off because of taking them in and out of the case. but this 10 dollar solution is great and it peels right off.

gallery.me.com

thats a nice job there, but you took yours apart and i didn't take mine apart and there literally is no difference between my job and yours. The pitch slider i messed up on one of the slightly but that was totally my fault and i actually put an extra coat on it to fix it.

taking apart the turntable is very time consuming, or so it seems like. And mine sit in a coffin, so i don't think it will be an issue with rubbing off.
fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net
AIRX ONE 6:58 AM - 14 June, 2012
never mind your stuck in your half ass way lol ... stopped fallowing this
DJRUDEBOYY 11:15 AM - 14 June, 2012
you guys are all bitching at him for what he did to his decks... plasti dip peels off!!!
DJ'Que 2:51 AM - 15 June, 2012
thats the same stuff they put on tool handles. peels right off but its only 1 color...... black..

paint and powdercoat comes in many.

plus will give your decks a higher resale value and better look.
Osmosis Brown 1:45 PM - 23 July, 2012
I think it looks alright, mate. Really not sure why everyone has ragged you over it. Even if you had devalued them so what? As long as you like them its ok, eh?
pdidy 10:22 PM - 23 July, 2012
WOW , I guess its true djs can be dumb as rocks......This stuff peels of therefore causing no damage what so ever. So if you want to resell this is a much better option than real paint because you can easily and quickly go back to original condition. I personally don't like face plates and this is a quick and inexpensive option that looks great. I will definitely be doing mine soon. Thanks DJPolska.
anthracite98 10:18 PM - 25 July, 2012
Can this stuff be painted over? Plasti coat, then paint the plasti; then razor off knobs etc...

and do you really use the #'s on the pitch sliders that much that its a problem to leave the plasti on? or just use a white paint pen, or stickers...
Logisticalstyles 11:37 PM - 25 July, 2012
Now THAT would definitely look sloppy as hell. Just my opinion. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Any customization of MY turntables has to enhance the overall appearance and/or performance of the turntable.

I just now watched this 2nd video and I like it a little better after you peeled off the excess paint. But I still think it would have been way better and not too much more work to take it apart and plastidip it. And I still don't like the texture of the stuff.

Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

here is a small follow up for you guys, i show you how easy and clean the plasti dip comes off if you decide to remove it. I cleaned it up a bit, i remove it from the rpm buttons, as well the power switch. check it out

Also, I don't think anyone ever said the turntable was being damaged, we get the fact that it peels off. It just doesn't look that great to some of us.
MelonHead 1:40 AM - 27 July, 2012
Quote:
this is a quick and inexpensive option that looks great. I will definitely be doing mine soon. Thanks DJPolska.

+1
NutBar 2:25 AM - 12 December, 2012
Don't really understand why you'd pay a heap of money for two quality decks and not go to the effort of pulling them apart to spray them.
Anyway, that's what I did to my decks. Now I'm looking for something to recreate the logos. I've seen the stickers, but they look a bit rubbish.
I'm thinking of getting these. They look pretty sweet. Anyone used them?
www.ebay.com
VDJ ASTRO 8:48 PM - 16 December, 2012
Your gear your money I love custom shit so if this makes you love your gear do it I bought faceplates for everything including my headphones and mixer so I paid a shit load and it prob looks the same
DjCity 10:28 PM - 12 October, 2013
Interesting.
DjCity 6:22 PM - 22 October, 2013
Anyone still monitoring this thread?

I want to do this to a set of my older techs.

How would plasti dip work on the side of the platter?
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 22 October, 2013
since it was non-destructive I tried it out.
it looks really cool, murder blacked out - but if you move your decks regularly it will start to peel at friction points the edges like mine did. if all they do is sit in your bedroom or whatever, its fine
DjCity 6:41 PM - 22 October, 2013
Thanks Akiem

Everything I have is in cases. Both sets of techs, mixers, and controllers.

I figured it's worth a shot to try the stuff out. Real inexpensive way to change up my older decks and not permanently alter them.

Do you know if I could use plasti dip on the side of the platters and sand it off of the strobe dots?
AKIEM 6:45 PM - 22 October, 2013
you can cut it off with a razor
thats whats kinda cool
but it could start to peel from those places it doesnt wrap around a surface
DjCity 6:48 PM - 22 October, 2013
That's a WHOLE LOT OF CUTTING!

Imma give it a try though. If it don't come out right, I can just peel it right off.
DjCity 4:25 PM - 9 February, 2014
I'm getting ready to plasti dip my tables.

I want mine to be white with the pearlizer then gloss finished.

How many cans of plasti dip will I need to do both turntables?
AKIEM 6:30 PM - 9 February, 2014
btw - makes sure you realize its only temporary and will eventually peel. The more coats the less chance it will peel at a thin spot where you handle the deck. And there is really nothing you can do about it eventually coming up at the edges.

I would only recommend it for a 'home deck'.

Its a lot of work for a temporary look - fun tho
DjCity 8:01 PM - 9 February, 2014
My tables mostly stay at home but they are in cases at all times.

They come out for shows where "I" am showcased. For regular shows, the controller comes out.

How many cans of plasti dip will I need to do the job properly on both tables?

How much pearlizer, how much glossifier?
AKIEM 10:35 PM - 9 February, 2014
It depends on how many coats you want - I did several coats with one can.
DjCity 6:41 PM - 10 February, 2014
Thanks.
I'm thinking one can of each will do it.
I'm hoping to get at least 3 coats. Hopefully 4 coats on each table.
DjCity 6:44 PM - 10 February, 2014
I want to do the tonearm joints but I'm not willing to take the tonearm apart.

Removing the whole tonearm is no problem but disassembling the tonearm is kinda more than I want to do.
DjCity 5:59 PM - 1 March, 2014
I've started the project of customizing my 1200's.

The platter will be red as well as parts of the tone arm hinge. The tonearm itself will probably be red as well.

The faceplate will be pearl glossy white.

I'm taking my time on this and will post pics when done.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:13 PM - 1 March, 2014
You need "Before" pics...
DjCity 10:48 PM - 1 March, 2014
Ok.
DjCity 5:41 PM - 3 March, 2014
DjCity 8:12 PM - 3 March, 2014
Anybody know how to remove the start/stop button and the 33/45 buttons?

I'm ordering red ones but I have never replaced them before.
AKIEM 8:19 PM - 3 March, 2014
Red ones?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 PM - 3 March, 2014

Ok, is it me or are those 12's in already GREAT cosmetic condition?

You must be doing this just because you want to...

Also, double take on this...

Quote:
Quote:

Red ones?

I'm not quite following you here....
dj jamalot 11:39 PM - 3 March, 2014
once you open the bottom you will see how to remove the start / stop and on / off
dj jamalot 11:42 PM - 3 March, 2014
i changed all the led's in my 1210's last year it's pretty simple if you have some mechanical / electronic know how... if not just visit you tube there are hundreds of tutorials on there.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 PM - 3 March, 2014
But aren't the CURRENT LED's red?
DjCity 12:02 AM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Red ones?

I'm replacing the actual silver stop/start button and the 33/45 buttons with red buttons and the black on/off knob with a red one.
AKIEM 12:06 AM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Red ones?

I'm replacing the actual silver stop/start button and the 33/45 buttons with red buttons and the black on/off knob with a red one.

From where?
DjCity 12:10 AM - 4 March, 2014
I got options.

Henray customs but his are pricy.

Ebay is looking kinda good. I'm watching a few.

Beyond that, I'm still searching.
AKIEM 12:31 AM - 4 March, 2014
boom - hadnt seen those before - thanks

I will tell you that the dicers are going to be a problem with friction on the rubber coating.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:36 AM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

Ok, gotchu.
ninos 1:37 AM - 4 March, 2014
i plasti dipped all the chrome on my truck to black, stuff works wonders! just make sure to spray a lot of coats so if you do need to peel of it will peel wayyyy easier
DjCity 2:14 AM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

I will tell you that the dicers are going to be a problem with friction on the rubber coating.

I'm doing the dicers too.
dj jamalot 2:17 AM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I'm doing the dicers too.

Not if you take em all the way apart then after you spray let dri the scrape each hole with your razor knife.
nm
AKIEM 2:21 AM - 4 March, 2014
hmm. My tables lasted maybe a year but started pealing at the corners. If they stayed in the cases it would be fine. I pull mine out every night. I might be changing that tho.
DjCity 2:39 AM - 4 March, 2014
Mine STAY in their cases!

I just ordered Red TCV from Serato for 50% off.

I'm either going to paint the needle (cart) red and white OR just get some Ortofon Concord Digitrack.

Anyone used em?

I used to use DJ's and Nightclubs and loved em. Never used the Digitracks.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:06 PM - 4 March, 2014
Haven't heard anything really positive about the Digitracks. PANKS all day.
DjCity 7:54 PM - 4 March, 2014
Progress report...

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

Have not done the faceplate yet. That will most likely be the last thing I do.
What you see above is the 1st coat to be followed by 2 more coats within 48 hours.
AKIEM 8:30 PM - 4 March, 2014
and thats all plasti dip?
DjCity 8:34 PM - 4 March, 2014
Nope.

Just the faceplate will be plasti dip.
AKIEM 8:38 PM - 4 March, 2014
is that krylon?
DjCity 8:57 PM - 4 March, 2014
Is an enamel paint but not krylon.

I'm doing that paint job by hand with brushes.
I wanted to try to do the job without taking the joint apart.

I will have to take it apart to install the new buttons when they arrive but by then, I should be finished at least one table.
DjCity 8:59 PM - 4 March, 2014
I figure if I like the outcome, I can peel the plasti dip off and do it permanent.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:18 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Progress report...

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

Have not done the faceplate yet. That will most likely be the last thing I do.
What you see above is the 1st coat to be followed by 2 more coats within 48 hours.

I see you're dead azz...

Keep it up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:20 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

Hmmm.....

I was with you until that point....

But I'll reserve judgement until the finished product....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:22 PM - 4 March, 2014
Not to be picky....but you painted over the Anti-Skate and Tone Arm Height adjustment indicators....

You meant to do that?
DjCity 11:35 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Not to be picky....but you painted over the Anti-Skate and Tone Arm Height adjustment indicators....

You meant to do that?

Yeah. I have a marks on them that only I can see so I'm still in control.

If I can find the height adjustment and anti skate indicators in white, I will just swap them out.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:37 PM - 4 March, 2014
Alrighty then...
DjCity 11:44 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm.....

I was with you until that point....

But I'll reserve judgement until the finished product....

I'm being an artist here man...
Cut me some slack.
besides, I can take the tone arm off but I can't take it completely apart.
I don't know how to totally dissemble it and I'm not willing to try.

The tone arms are brand new and calibrated. I'm not trying to fuck that up by trying to totally dissemble them.

Good paint, paint brushes, steady hand and a desire for good looking 1200's is all I got.
 6 11:45 PM - 4 March, 2014
" The tone arms are brand new and calibrated. I'm not trying to fuck that up by trying to totally dissemble them."

Yeah. Don't fuck with them. nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
I'm being an artist here man...
Cut me some slack.

Oh, you already get a pass via the Break Mix you posted...(Which I STILL have to do)

Quote:
Good paint, paint brushes, steady hand and a desire for good looking 1200's is all I got.

I only was wondering about the "Brush" thing more than the "Disassembly" part because, theoretically, spray would give you a better finish vs. possible brush streaks....but work it out dude.
DjCity 12:06 AM - 5 March, 2014
The platter will not be done by brush. Just the intricate parts.
AKIEM 12:13 AM - 5 March, 2014
some of those things I wouldnt do either. but Im going to reserve judgement as well.
(plus I dont want to be a bit**ass)
DjCity 12:26 AM - 5 March, 2014
In the end, if I don't like it, I will ebay them AFTER I get a new pair.

I'm diggin the Reloops but I GOTTA keep a pair of Techs!
DjCity 2:53 PM - 6 March, 2014
Platter progress report

imageshack.com

imageshack.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:55 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Platter progress report

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

How the HELL did you keep the integrity of the dots?
DjCity 3:00 PM - 6 March, 2014
I wanted mine to be unique. Everyone else still had silver borders around the dots.

Mine are all red with just the dots silver.
DjCity 3:05 PM - 6 March, 2014
I've got my buttons on order, I've got my white let's on order.

I'm moving right along.
dj jamalot 3:09 PM - 6 March, 2014
From the picture it looks like he used an abrasive pad maybe scotch brite... it ain't rocket science.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:16 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
From the picture it looks like he used an abrasive pad maybe scotch brite... it ain't rocket science.

Ok, I see what you're saying now...
DJ VEE 4:19 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I see what you're saying now...

I think he's saying he painted his silver...

Quote:
I wanted mine to be unique. Everyone else still had silver borders around the dots.

Mine are all red with just the dots silver.
DJ VEE 4:20 PM - 6 March, 2014
Meaning he individually painted the dots silver.
dj jamalot 4:22 PM - 6 March, 2014
Wow that's a lot of work, I would just polish them out with the abrasives using the motor to spin the platter...or a buffer.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:24 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

Nah....

Looks like he used an abrasive, and also mentioned that as while there is usually the silver "Line" above and below the dots, he wanted to eliminate that by JUST scrubbing the dots....

Maybe it's the light, but it looks like he may have rubbed off a little red on both the "Lines" above and below a set of dots. lower right hand shiny side...but again, it could be the lighting.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:25 PM - 6 March, 2014
Looked at the first pic again, yeah it's the lighting....

Good Detail.
dj jamalot 4:26 PM - 6 March, 2014
Maybe it's the light, but it looks like he may have rubbed off a little red on both the "Lines" above and below a set of dots. lower right hand shiny side....

My point exactly...^^
DjCity 4:26 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

Maybe it's the light, but it looks like he may have rubbed off a little red on both the "Lines" above and below a set of dots. lower right hand shiny side...but again, it could be the lighting.

It's a lighting thing.
DJ VEE 4:27 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Wow that's a lot of work, I would just polish them out with the abrasives using the motor to spin the platter...or a buffer.

Lol! That would be a lot of work. Talk about going cross eyed. I bet you would regret that decision about half way through. Lol.
DJ VEE 4:29 PM - 6 March, 2014
Can't really tell on my iPhone.
dj jamalot 4:30 PM - 6 March, 2014
Not as much as painstakingly painting each dot who would do that???
DjCity 4:31 PM - 6 March, 2014
I still have work to do. It's a slooooow process but i'm making progress.

The platters are not finished yet. The pics are just progress reports.

Soon, I will be able to do the faceplates but not until I finish the detail work on the tonearm assembly.

Sloooooooow process as I paint, wait for paint to dry, paint again, wait for paint to dry.
dj jamalot 4:31 PM - 6 March, 2014
what makes better sense paint the whole platter and take off what you don't want...

Or sitting there like an idiot painting dots LOL!
dj jamalot 4:32 PM - 6 March, 2014
Are you really painting dots?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:33 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

Sheeett....

That's a LOT of dots...
dj jamalot 4:34 PM - 6 March, 2014
There has got to be a better way!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:35 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Not as much as painstakingly painting each dot who would do that???

I seriously doubt he's painting EACH dot.

LMAO.
dj jamalot 4:36 PM - 6 March, 2014
i could polish the paint off with my dremel and make them shine like diamonds... it's aluminum
it will buff out like glass...

nh
DjCity 4:37 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Are you really painting dots?

Hell NO!!!

Hahaha...

I wish I could though. Even though I would not WANT to. If I could get better results, I would have if there were a way to do it.

I would not be finished till summer though.
 6 5:20 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

lol

nm
DjCity 5:06 PM - 8 March, 2014
dj jamalot 5:17 PM - 8 March, 2014
i want to see the after 1 year of use pics bcuz that paint iz gonna come off...
DjCity 5:25 PM - 8 March, 2014
Those pics are before touch up detail work.

Quote:
i want to see the after 1 year of use pics bcuz that paint iz gonna come off...

What makes you think that?
dj jamalot 5:41 PM - 8 March, 2014
if you don't powder coat them the paint wears off...Watch.
dj jamalot 5:43 PM - 8 March, 2014
but hey they look good but paint on plastic...or metal not good...

the bright side is you already kno what to do!
DjCity 5:53 PM - 8 March, 2014
Yeah. I feel you.

This is just an experiment on an old pair of 1200's.

I have another pair and my Reloop RP8000's are ordered and on their way soon.

This is good practice though. I wish I knew how to power coat.
dj jamalot 5:56 PM - 8 March, 2014
you have to send them out for powder coat but it's hella durable... but since they are an extra set no biggie plus you got the reloops coming your good great experience for you tho.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:12 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
Progress report

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

So, do you already have a design picked out in your head, or mapped out?

Or are you kinda doing this as you go along...
DjCity 6:20 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Progress report

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

So, do you already have a design picked out in your head, or mapped out?

Or are you kinda doing this as you go along...

A little of both.
Mostly mapped out though. I have a design in my head and 99% is going according to plan.

I've done the touch up work for the most part. Will do more when it dries.
Almost ready to do the faceplate.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:25 PM - 8 March, 2014
Yeah, I see how you can add or subtract some things as it progresses.

Keep it up.

Any ideas of what you're gonna do with the counter weight?

Keep it black, or something else?
DjCity 6:48 PM - 8 March, 2014
Counterweight will be red and white.

Progress report

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

when the Red dries on the counterweight, I will apply the White
AKIEM 6:49 PM - 8 March, 2014
Can't say you weren't warned about the wearing... Good work tho.
DjCity 6:54 PM - 8 March, 2014
Thanks.

If/when the paint wears off...

I have no idea. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
DjCity 7:26 PM - 8 March, 2014
DjCity 10:26 PM - 8 March, 2014
Progress report
Started the faceplate with the plasti dip.

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
Might as well

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

Ok, I'm mad you painted the screws on the headshell red...

lmao.
Henry GQ 1:53 AM - 9 March, 2014
anyone know wheree to find the decals? and i when i say that.. i mean the decals that ARE NOT one big sticker.. i mean like separate letters.. i have seen some greta paint jobs but then seen the sticker outer line... it looked shitty!
ninos 2:05 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
anyone know wheree to find the decals? and i when i say that.. i mean the decals that ARE NOT one big sticker.. i mean like separate letters.. i have seen some greta paint jobs but then seen the sticker outer line... it looked shitty!

pretty sure henrys customs has em
AKIEM 2:07 AM - 9 March, 2014
(I wasnt going to mention the screws......) still following tho!
DjCity 2:57 AM - 9 March, 2014
I'm replacing the with ortofon digitracks.

I got lazy.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:58 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
I got lazy.

>:-(
Henry GQ 9:26 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

pretty sure henrys customs has em

damn they do excellent work. holy shit.
DjCity 6:00 PM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I got lazy.

>:-(

Ok.

Hangover has dissapated and laziness is over.

I'm going to strip the headshell and do it right.

I actually WANTED the screws red to match the headshell but I can do a better job than I did.

The faceplate is now pearl white.
Pics to come.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 PM - 10 March, 2014
Uh oh...

www.ebay.com
DjCity 11:54 PM - 10 March, 2014
Nice but not 3 stacks nice enough to me.

I stripped the pearl white and am doing the faceplate in white to match everything else that's white.

Looooong process.
DJ VEE 12:47 AM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Uh oh...

www.ebay.com

I like the 45 adapter.
Mike_P 12:54 AM - 11 March, 2014
Looking good DJcity!

Quote:

I haven't seen individual letters. But the trick to the decals is to put a couple coats of clear coat on them (and the rest of the face, of course) once they are in place.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 AM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Nice but not 3 stacks nice enough to me.

LOL! I know, I'm just sayin...

If you do a good enough job, you might be able to charge some n00b a lot of cheese...
DjCity 2:01 PM - 11 March, 2014
I already have 2 orders for me to customize.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:23 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
I already have 2 orders for me to customize.

At 3G's? Lol...

Keep it up.
DjCity 3:28 PM - 11 March, 2014
I wish.
I'm doing them for $400 a pair.
dj jamalot 3:43 PM - 11 March, 2014
! But the trick to the decals is to put a couple coats of clear coat on them (and the rest of the face, of course) once they are in place.

Now that is providing the paint used will allow a clear coat and not get like jelly???
DjCity 7:02 PM - 11 March, 2014
Progress report...

I'm gonna strip everything and start from scratch.

It's nowhere near how it should be.

I've learned from the errors and next go round, it will be PERFECT!

www.dropbox.com
DjCity 7:04 PM - 11 March, 2014
I can simply take the Plasti dip off but I'm gonna do everything again with a different technique.

Use what I've learned so I can do it right after I strip everything down.
AKIEM 7:45 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:

Use what I've learned so I can do it right after I strip everything down.

yup
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:11 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:

Yeah, we wanna get to that 3G mark....
DJ VEE 10:35 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, we wanna get to that 3G mark....

If they turn out perfect you could do this for extra money... But we get a HUGE discount...
After all, we've been right here by your side, from your very start, cheering you on, tracking the discussion, sending positive energy... You get the idea.
You know... Come to think of it, we should get a cut of the profits. It's like we helped start this whole thing, you know, with the positive encouragement we provided. That's a very important and critical part of the equation.

However, if they turn out looking like shit, we don't know you! Lol!

Seriously tho, looking forward to see what you come up with next time around.
DJ VEE 10:57 PM - 11 March, 2014
Oh, please submit new plans to your new business partners for review, (our profits are at stake here).
dj jamalot 11:00 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This separates the good from the bad the ability to see imperfections and do something about it rather to put out garbage...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:02 PM - 11 March, 2014
Why do you think I was buggin' about them damn screws in the headshell....

We've got a booming business here....
DJ VEE 11:05 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Why do you think I was buggin' about them damn screws in the headshell....

We've got a booming business here....

You will be in charge of quality control then.
Perfect.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:07 PM - 11 March, 2014
Eh, make it Final QA, and we've got a deal...

****Goes to make rubber stamp****
DJ VEE 11:11 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Eh, make it Final QA, and we've got a deal...

****Goes to make rubber stamp****

Deal. (Don't spend too much money on that rubber stamp now).
DJ VEE 11:13 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This separates the good from the bad the ability to see imperfections and do something about it rather to put out garbage...

I agree with you 100%. But, we need to find you a position where you are completely out of contact with the stock holders and investors. LOL!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:14 PM - 11 March, 2014
Nah, I'm puttin' it on DJCity's credit card....

That way he has incentive to make the money back....
DjCity 11:21 PM - 11 March, 2014
Y'all got jokes...

The color scheme will remain the same but this time I'm going to use different materials and take it all apart.

Even the tone arm. (I'm gonna get some help with that part).

I'm not gonna use the plasti dip next time. It's cool if I'm doing simple one color but I'm going for detail.

It's going to be permanent this time around so it's gonna be slow, methodical and perfect! Wet sanded to a glass finish.

What's crazy is had the plasti dip worked out, I may have stopped there.
DJ VEE 11:23 PM - 11 March, 2014
Gotta love capitalism, isn't it great? I mean, here we are surfing this forum, and we stumble on to this gem. Now we might make some good money, without doing a damn thing, off of somebody else's ideas and hard work...
THANK YOU DjCity!!!
Now, we just gotta establish the brand and force him out somehow when he's not expecting it. We will need him to keep working for us though, I mean someone's gotta still do the work. We just wanna cash in. Hmm...

Hey DjCity! You got any weaknesses or bad habits we can exploit? Just askin? LOL!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:26 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Gotta love capitalism, isn't it great? I mean, here we are surfing this forum, and we stumble on to this gem. Now we might make some good money, without doing a damn thing, off of somebody else's ideas and hard work...

THANK YOU DjCity!!!

Now, we just gotta establish the brand and force him out somehow when he's not expecting it. We will need him to keep working for us though, I mean someone's gotta still do the work. We just wanna cash in. Hmm...

Hey DjCity! You got any weaknesses or bad habits we can exploit? Just askin? LOL!

You know what's crazy?

Is that this is EXACTLY how "Big Business" thinks...

Exploitation is the name of the game...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Y'all got jokes...

Look, you stay out of this....

lol.
DJ VEE 11:31 PM - 11 March, 2014
"I'm going to use different materials and take it all apart."

What's that going to cost?

"so it's gonna be slow, methodical and perfect! Wet sanded to a glass finish."

This will need further review... We have deadlines and shareholders to consider.
DJ VEE 11:33 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Y'all got jokes...

Look, you stay out of this....

lol.

Don't you have some turntables to finish?

LOL!!!
DJ VEE 11:34 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

THANK YOU DjCity!!!

You know what's crazy?

Is that this is EXACTLY how "Big Business" thinks...

Exploitation is the name of the game...

I know. I've worked for some of the biggest out there...
DJ VEE 11:36 PM - 11 March, 2014
They refer to it as "leverage". Lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:45 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:

Ha, the parent company that we subcontract for JUST put out a memo today clearing up ANY "Grey" area when it comes to giving "gifts" to contractors of ANY kind...

Before it was up to a certain dollar amount, now they said "Eff" dat all the way around...

Cats were getting real slick with theirs....

They nipped that right in the butt...
AKIEM 1:53 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, the parent company that we subcontract for JUST put out a memo today clearing up ANY "Grey" area when it comes to giving "gifts" to contractors of ANY kind...

Before it was up to a certain dollar amount, now they said "Eff" dat all the way around...

Cats were getting real slick with theirs....

They nipped that right in the butt...

what are you going to do now?

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:24 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:

nm

THEY got the memo...

Not me...
AKIEM 2:38 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
nm

THEY got the memo...

Not me...

guess ur still in the DJ game then LMAO
nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:48 AM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:

guess ur still in the DJ game then LMAO
nm

I guess....
richholland34 3:37 AM - 6 August, 2014
Why does everybody makes such a problem about the outside, while enough peoples still has the ancient rca's and tone-armwire and bad stator, which really is a problem and replacing all capacitor on the old mk-2 , has to be priority. Painting a technics ain't a miracle or something. High quality paint is the best standaart en you need polish and not cheap torque 'screwdrivers' Without good gear can't expect a good result. But 300 a 400 dollars for a paintjob is a ripoff ..... a mk2 ain't worth that amount of money. And it's just easy to do yourself with the help of a friend. Just make a large quality spraypaint in the color you want, then you'll won't have the problem with normal cans which sputters when they get empty.
And don't hurry.....
gr richard and if you,ve got a compressor and a spraypaint holder which you can use the thickness from the paint from, which ain't hugely expensivee, you get the best result....(second hand) bye
djscottydoo 10:56 AM - 29 August, 2016
www.dropbox.com

Plasti Dipped Black. Blue LEDs. Str8 Tonearms. Ultra Pitch Mod
Tip: Plasti Dip seams to dry fast. But give it time to cure