DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

External Hard Drive & Laptop Choice

beezwax 5:27 PM - 24 October, 2005
i know i'm probably covering old ground here but perhaps someone can help.....

i'm planning to buy scratch live soon as i will be doing a lot more travelling and will be unable to take my usual 400 pieces of vinyl to gigs. reliability is the key factor and i want to use uncompressed files rather than MP3's to get the best sound quality with a high spec sub-notebook or mini-laptop. don't want to go above a 12" screen - any ideas or recommendations? (anyone used a flybook, toshiba U100, JVC, or Sony T2?)

i currently have a toshiba portege 4010 (933Mhz, 256Ram, 20Gb Hard Drive) and i want to use this for scratch live in the interim with a reliable hard drive that i can use with the new laptop when i buy it. i know it meets the minimum requirements but is it really good enough? i'm hoping that if the toshiba is good enough then i'll get away with using one of the ultra portables in the long run.

has anyone else used a similar spec laptop with an external hard drive? and what HD should i buy? i've read all the posts re firewire vs. USB2.0 so i'll try and get one with both but i'd really appreciate some direction on make and model.
also, how much space will i need for 100hrs of uncompressed music plus the OS & SL software?

sorry if this is old news, i'm really not looking forward to moving away from my trusty vinyl (i even find CD's unreliable and frustrating!) and i'm not exactly a computer expert so i'm always very suspicious of reliability - the laptop and hard drive are pretty big investments too so i can't afford to get it wrong. thanks in advance for your help.

b.
Wes_Wes 6:22 PM - 24 October, 2005
First off, I highly recommend you steer away from the uncompressed music idea. Unless your an audio engineer, your not going to be able to tell the difference. Now if you download most of your music, they the quality of mp3's will differ. I ripped all music myself and I consider my ear's to be better than the average person but still not an audio engineer. My compression specs are, at least 192kbs. I also use a Variable Rate Compressor that compresses the song based on how much information (sound) it needs to compress.

As far as the hard drive, The Lacie's are the basic external hard drives that I would recommend. If you want something slightly more reliable, look into the Western Digital external drives. If your looking for something more reliable than that, Glyph Technologies makes excellent fire wire drives but they are pricy.

Finally, I'm not sure how stuck on a PC you are, I would leap and make the investment in a Mac laptop. I can't explain how reliable they have been to us. I have used a PC all my life and would recommend a mac over a PC for SSL.
Wes_Wes 6:25 PM - 24 October, 2005
Also, to give you an idea of how much hard drive space you will need for 100 hours of uncompressed music, roughly 650 Gigabyes. I think this is completely ineffecient and using such large files will make SSL run poorly.

Insert Moderator Here < >
nobspangle 7:22 PM - 24 October, 2005
Wes you're a bit out
WAV audio 10MB per minute

100hrs = 6000 mins

60000MB
that's about 60GB not 650

So for 100hrs music + OS you'll be fine with an 80GB drive.
Wes_Wes 7:46 PM - 24 October, 2005
Yes, I noticed that...
DJ 3pm 9:51 PM - 24 October, 2005
Quote:
i know it meets the minimum requirements but is it really good enough?

to do what with? are you a house dj who does long blends? are you a hip-hop dj who scratches alot?

with an older laptop, you'll probably need to set the usb buffer higher, like perhaps 15. you shouldn't notice if you just blend, but dramatic record movements might be dodgy with a high buffer setting.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:36 PM - 24 October, 2005
*Moved to general/resolved*
beezwax 11:07 PM - 24 October, 2005
i do a bit of both. usually mix house, breaks, D&B and hiphop in the same set which is why i need so much music. i'm not an audio engineer but i used to run a hifi shop and i can tell the difference between most MP3's and CD's and i would like to keep the music uncompressed so i can easily burn standard CD's when i do a gig without serato (my CDJ's won't play MP3's).

is there any noticeable time lag with serato? i've always been spoiled with a good monitor so i can't stand delays of any kind. really keen to use a mini laptop but if the general consensus says i need a higher spec then i won't take the risk.
as for the mac i'll consider it but am having enough trouble learning PC's....
Rebelguy 11:33 PM - 24 October, 2005
Although many people still stand by the Macs, I have had absolutely no problems with running Serato three days a week, 4-5 hours at a time on a PC. In fact, my friends that are currently using Serato and have had crashing issues have been on Macs. Not trying to start a flame war, just letting you know that there are less costly but just as reliable options.
joshua 12:47 AM - 25 October, 2005
well beez, mp3s will burn as cd audio as well, but i'm sure you kenw that.
as far as laptops, i run a mac and a pc (mac mini and a toshiba laptop) and have zero problems on either one, so that's all about personal preference.
Josh
spinjin 2:39 AM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
Although many people still stand by the Macs, I have had absolutely no problems with running Serato three days a week, 4-5 hours at a time on a PC. In fact, my friends that are currently using Serato and have had crashing issues have been on Macs. Not trying to start a flame war, just letting you know that there are less costly but just as reliable options.

Same here ... my Sony VAIO rocks ... really hard! I've had no problems with it running Serato or any program installed on it yet. Macs are awesome machines. Really, they are. But so are PC's ... ha ha!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 5:11 PM - 25 October, 2005
my dell 5160 inspiron has not let me down yet....but only when i was running FS2 though.
djViBE 5:25 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
my dell 5160 inspiron has not let me down yet....but only when i was running FS2 though.

no no, NI/FS let you down, not the dell, hehe ;)
beezwax 7:30 PM - 25 October, 2005
what spec is your vaio spinjin?

i want one of the 11" ones but the spec is a bit lame compared to it's bigger brothers.....

anyone else using 12" (screen) laptop or smaller??
beezwax 7:32 PM - 25 October, 2005
oh yeah,

think i've decided on this HD unless anyone has a better idea??

b.

"LaCie Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche 250GB Firewire 400
Ref: 300703EK
LaCie Hard Drive, Design by F.A. Porsche 250GB
Item Number : 300703EK
Capacity : 250 GB
Availability : Worldwide
Interface : FireWire: 2x FireWire connectors (6 pins)
Rotational Speed (rpm) : 7200
Interface Transfer Rate : 400 Mbits/s
Max Sustained Transfer Rate : 41 MB/s
Average Seek Time (Write) : <10 ms
Buffer : 8 MB
Size : 35 x 112 x 188 mm / 1.4 x 4.4 x 7.4 in. (HxWxL)
Weight : 900g / 31.7 oz.
Supported OS : Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 2000, Windows Me or Windows XP; Mac OS 9.1 or Mac OS 10.2.1 and greater
System Requirements : PC or Mac with built-in FireWire® interface
Intel Pentium II 350MHz-compatible processor or greater; iMac®, Power Mac® G3 and greater; minimum 32MB RAM
Note: LaCie’s Design by F.A. Porsche hard drives are pre-formatted as FAT 32 volumes and can be used across multiple platforms (Windows 98SE-XP; Mac OS 9 & 10). For optimum performance, the drive can easily be re-formatted in NTFS for Windows 2000/XP users or HFS+ for Mac users. For more information about formatting, please refer to the User’s Manual.
Comments : 1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Once formatted, the actual available storage capacity varies depending on operating environment.
Box Content : FireWire/IEEE 1394 6-to 6-pin certified cable*, External AC power adapter, LaCie Utilities CD-ROM

* iLink users must use a 4-pin to 6-pin cable (sold separately) and FireWire 800 users must use a 9-pin to 6-pin cable (sold separately).
Warranty : 2 Year Limited Warranty"
spinjin 9:55 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
what spec is your vaio spinjin?

i want one of the 11" ones but the spec is a bit lame compared to it's bigger brothers.....

anyone else using 12" (screen) laptop or smaller??

Hey Beezwax,

My VAIO has a 15.4" screen. It's a Pentium 4 machine - 2.8Ghz - so it's pretty capable of running the programs I use it with. I've had no problems whatsoever with my VAIO yet, and it's been over a year already.

At any rate, I think any platform (computer) will run any application without any problems, granted the machine is devoted strictly to it and nothing (or few) else. People must keep in mind that a large portion of the problems that occur with PCs originates from buggy software or program/device conflicts (not hardware, unless it's a well-built machine). Okay, just my opinion.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:16 PM - 25 October, 2005
how much? and why do they ask you to buy your own cables?

i would rather buy a FW/USB2 ext. drive....
DJ 3pm 10:23 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
i would rather buy a FW/USB2 ext. drive....

i second that. you never know when you'll need to hook up to a machine that doesn't have firewire or a machine with too few usb2 ports.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:36 PM - 25 October, 2005
thats right 3pm!

i have 1 pc desktop, 3 pc lappys, 1 imac, 1 macintosh.....

fw & usb2 certainlky comes in handy.
DJ 3pm 5:53 PM - 16 November, 2005
wow, i'm not a huge lacie fan, this is a great deal:

Quote:
LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme 1TB FireWire/USB 2.0 External Hard Drive, model no. 300798U, for $668 with free 2-day shipping, as a reader found. It's the lowest total price we've seen for a 1TB drive. It runs at 7200 rpm and features a 16MB cache.

what they neglect to mention is that this is actually a fw800(2ports)/fw400/usb2. only con against this drive is the 1 year warranty.

dealmac.com