Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ, expansion packs and supported hardware

ITCH vs. MIDI

DJ MoRice 7:48 PM - 28 January, 2008
I've been hearing about the new ITCH systems and I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between ITCH and MIDI.

Is ITCH higher resolution than MIDI? What advantage does it have over using a MIDI controller using Scratch Live?

Also, on an urelated note. Is the serato site extremely slow for everyone or is it just me?
Steve W 11:28 PM - 28 January, 2008
The key to the ITCH design is that each product is developed in cooperation with Serato to ensure the tightest possible integration. It just so happens that MIDI is the underlying transport in the two products announced so far, so the hardware can be used with other MIDI software.

However one of our requirements is that the platters have a resolution close to that of Scratch LIVE control vinyl, which is far in excess of any off the shelf MIDI controllers. Existing software may need to be modified to accept the high resolution MIDI data from ITCH hardware.
nik39 12:37 PM - 29 January, 2008
Quote:
It just so happens that MIDI is the underlying transport in the two products announced so far, so the hardware can be used with other MIDI software.

Sorry, I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?
DJ BICHIN 5:53 PM - 14 June, 2008
Quote:
It just so happens that MIDI is the underlying transport in the two products announced so far, so the hardware can be used with other MIDI software.

I, as well, do not quite understand this. Please explain in more detail. Thank you.
Sam 3:22 PM - 28 June, 2008
They generate MIDI data, so they can be connected to software that can be controlled by MIDI, and used to control that software.