DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jazzy Jeff and MP3's @ 192

Niro 8:12 PM - 21 October, 2005
I remember reading the scratch article and also in one of the threads here and it stated " that he uses MP3's at 192 " and something about how no ones has said anything about the sound quality.

Well here it is, I went to the masters show and heard your set and the sound quality was not that good. It sounded really muffled. I would blame it on the club's system, but it was noticeable because it sounded different from the other DJ's that came on before and after you.

Your set was dope, but like I said the sound wasn't the best.

Thanks
S
nik39 8:16 PM - 21 October, 2005
Hehe, isnt that the wrong place to complain about his set? He has his own website including an open forum.
joshua 9:55 PM - 21 October, 2005
hehe, glad somebody noticed....
Josh
AKIEM 12:21 AM - 22 October, 2005
I notice 192 mp3, but for some reason some of them can pass okay.
I try to keep at 320 or wav. Im not sure what advantage you get from 18,000 songs on your hd. Im going to keep mine at about 2000, and archive the rest.

but Ive also found that allot of dl mp3s sound better the my encoded vinyl.
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 1:35 AM - 22 October, 2005
Since my harddrive crashed I will be reripping into .wav format.
Niro 1:39 AM - 22 October, 2005
I'm not complaining, I'm just stating that "there is a difference" since his interview has been quoted here a few times. It was the first time I saw a hip hop DJ use serato or FS live and that is one of the reasons why I stayed away from serato as long as I did, because of the sound quality I heard. I couldn't see the stage when he first came on and just thought something was wrong, but than I saw him and he was using a powerbook. That turned me off to the whole thing, until I started to learn more about mp3's and wave files.

I'll keep it short, simiply I could tell and so could a lot of other people there, but like anyone is going to go up to DJ Jazzy Jeff and say something. Most people were just stoked to see him live.

I am also a big believer in Wav and I just use a 400Gb seagate external. Works perfect, got 2 of them a Fry's for $250 a piece.
djHSL 3:10 AM - 22 October, 2005
Another factor in the WAV vs MP3 discussion ... when time stretching comes to SSL, you'll find that MP3s don't stretch as well as WAVs. The "inaudible" frequencies thrown away by compression algorithms are part of deciding when/how to stretch a signal.

Death to geek audio!!
djViBE 3:48 AM - 22 October, 2005
DAMN NERDS!

hahaha, j/p.

really? i dont notice a real big diff between my 192s and wavs. i mean there is a slight diff, but i guess its minimal since i re-eq em normalize and also wave hammer em. sometimes i do other stuff like de hiss and pop filter em but then i gotta go back and briten up the highs...

i think if you kno how to do production and kno how to process your files, the mp3 thing isnt so bad. but i definately need my samples adn scratches to be wavs
nik39 1:02 PM - 22 October, 2005
djHSL, interesting point!
DJ MDX 2:06 PM - 22 October, 2005
Quote:
Another factor in the WAV vs MP3 discussion ... when time stretching comes to SSL, you'll find that MP3s don't stretch as well as WAVs. The "inaudible" frequencies thrown away by compression algorithms are part of deciding when/how to stretch a signal.

Death to geek audio!!

Well, I am not so sure.

As it is now there are CD TT's that offer this already with .wav or .mp3 and the ones I use do a great job at both.

With that said, I remember the SSL Team saying that P 'n T will blow away any/all on-board OEM MT/Key Lock that are on the market presently.

I am also sure these "Geeks/Nerds" are way ahead of average potential problem thinker.

In my opinion Rane/Serato is pro-active not re-active company and will have all this panned out b4 final release.
CS-80a 5:48 AM - 23 October, 2005
I think it all depends on how the MP3s are ripped not just the bit-rate. Mp3s encoded with Lame 192 or standard Lame VBR are very hard to tell from CD originals in a blind test.
CS-80a 5:48 AM - 23 October, 2005
I think it all depends on how the MP3s are ripped not just the bit-rate. Mp3s encoded with Lame 192 or standard Lame VBR are very hard to tell from CD originals in a blind test.
feniks 5:17 PM - 24 October, 2005
arrrrgggh! the dreaded double-post monster has reaered it's ugly head...
RL Music 3:57 AM - 25 October, 2005
Niro...and all the other "golden eared" users,

I made the same observation a few times while hearing him and others play out live, and always came to the same conclusion. You have to take into account what mixer he uses on the road with SSL. I know he uses a Pioneer mixer, sent into an aux line on the main mixer at the club or thru a PA system. THAT is what makes it sound like crap, not the encoding of the 192 mp3. I've made "blind" tests using my Urei mixer, Pioneer cdj's, Technics DZ1200's, and SSL, and I cannot tell the difference. When I use my SSL for hiphop stuff and scratching, I break out my old numark mixer and the quality of the sound degrades dramatically. Sounds muffled and dead overall, until I fiddle with the eq's a little.

And before I get questioned I currently use:

SSL (320kbps mp3's)
Technics DZ1200's
Urei 1620 rotary mixer
numark DM1002X "scratch mixer"
12" Powerbook w/external Lacie Mobile 80GB drive
joshua 5:31 AM - 25 October, 2005
rocking the urei, is that the re-release or an old school original?
proud bozak owner myself
LONG LIVE THE ROTARY MIXER!!!! :-D
Josh
feniks 7:02 AM - 25 October, 2005
RL Music 7:05 AM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
rocking the urei, is that the re-release or an old school original?
proud bozak owner myself
LONG LIVE THE ROTARY MIXER!!!! :-D
Josh

Rocking the original...embarrased to admit that some of the inputs are just now showing their age.
Rebelguy 5:19 PM - 25 October, 2005
Feniks...the custom console you have is really nice. You build it yourself???
feniks 8:58 PM - 25 October, 2005
yes sir. took me all of a month to finish it completely as it was the first time i had built one of these. however, i could probably knock one out in about a week now that i know how to do it.
joshua 6:35 AM - 26 October, 2005
yea i hear ya rl, i think all mine are gonna have to be replaced, but considering i got it on ebay for like 500 bucks, i knew it was gonna be a fixerupper, but once it's restored, it will be WELL worth it...
Josh