Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Getting Frustrated with USB dropouts

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dstro619 4:54 AM - 26 January, 2008
I've tried almost everything i've read about on this fourm and what i've gotten from calling tech support. My laptop is ONLY used for scratch live. Every so often i get the nice USB light with a pop / click at a gig.

I'm running a HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop:
Vista 32 Bit
AMD Turion 2.00Ghz
1982 MB RAM

I'm using Scratch Live 1.8.0
Buffer Setting is at 15
Scren Updates 60
Cache 30

I was told vista can't use Ratt reports :( Any input would be GREAT!!! My laptop seems to meet over the min requirements to run scratch live. I'm also a turntablist and my main thing is to have the buffer below 5 so i can cut and beat juggle. I do plan on getting a mac in the future but for now i really need to get this worked out...To many gigs coming up and i can't afford buying vinyl anymore:(

And i have all the USB driver & BIOS updates for my laptop. I'm also running a laptop cooler plugged into the USB also but i've had problems before the fan.
Dstro619 6:19 AM - 26 January, 2008
Also would XP benefit me more or should i stick with vista?
Logisticalstyles 4:27 PM - 26 January, 2008
You should try it with 1.7.4. I have heard mixed reviews about Vista and 1.8. I would go with XP if I had the option to do so.
Dstro619 8:13 PM - 26 January, 2008
My scratch live came with 1.7.4 and i was having the same usb problems so i upgraded to 1.8.0 and the same usb problem occured.
I'd have to go out and spend some more dough on XP so i would like to stay with vista if possible.

Thanks for the reply :)
Dstro619 8:15 PM - 26 January, 2008
In the task mgr while scratch live is running the cpu is only using 17% outta 100%...I just checked, don't know if that will help solving my problem.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:27 PM - 28 January, 2008
Windows machines have all sorts of things running in the background on startup.
Make sure the wireless internet or network connections are disabled as well as any anti virus software.

You should be able to get your usb audio buffer a lot lower than 15 on that computer.

Have you gone through the Vista optimization stuff? --> scratchlive.net
Dstro619 2:08 AM - 30 January, 2008
All my wireless internet connections are disabled as well as my anti virus software.
I've already done everything on the vista optimization except defragement my HD, I currently have 67.8 GB free of 105 GB. I'll post back if the defragementing helped.

Thanks
Dstro619 2:36 AM - 1 February, 2008
I've heard in another thread about getting a PCMCIA USB card...Is that gonna be a better card then what's in my laptop already?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:59 PM - 1 February, 2008
It often times helps. You could also try using a power adapter for the SL1.
Dstro619 6:23 AM - 2 February, 2008
Cool..I've had the power adapter since i got the sl1
djmel 4:59 AM - 3 February, 2008
here is the solution for fixing drop out( as i found this cured my issue completely,) if u defrag your cpu drive and or defrag the drive you keep you mp3 on, this will and should fix the drop outs,also please try to put the max amount of mem in the comp you using and set page file setting to the max u can set it at and also what i found to work is if u hit control alt delete and right click scratch live in the processes tab and hit set priority and set the ssl to low, this will drastically improve the performance of the ssl(( to the point where my ssl does not drop hardly if at all)). i hope this works for all as this has worked for me.....( just a dj trying to help )
djmel 3:02 PM - 3 February, 2008
dstro619. word of advise and from personal exp. get off of vista and most of your issue disappear.
AmphetaMarinE 3:26 PM - 3 February, 2008
Quote:
dstro619. word of advise and from personal exp. get off of vista and most of your issue disappear.

+1000000

I got a new laptop recently, and LG e300...
It comes with Windows Vista, and I got heaps of dropouts...
Upgraded the RAM to 2048MB, STILL got dropouts... ALL THE TIME!!!
So a week after buying it, I wiped it and installed Windows XP (Luckily LG have all the XP drivers for this laptop on their website...)
Anyway, since loading XP on the laptop, I have not had ANY USB Dropouts. At ALL :D
And I run with the USB Buffer set all the way to the left.
Also, I have found that the laptop is HEAPS faster now too :D
djmel 5:30 PM - 3 February, 2008
click start. control panel. system icon.advanced tab.performance setting tab, hit the advanced tab. change the program setting to background, change to page file setting to near the max amount of physical ram you got in the comp. next please make sure you defrag your main hd and the ext hd if you have or use one. last, when you start up serato, hit cntrl alt dlt. hit the processes tab and right click ssl, set the pocessor priority to low. then any thing else running in the processes tab that you know your not goin to use while using ssl, kill them. or a better way is to hit start, run, type ms config and under services tab hit hide all microsoft srvc, and then uncheck all the other itmes your not going to use while running ssl. restart your comp. you should be in heaven at the 36th wu tang chamber at this should fix the drop out issue.(( but i cant stress enough about defraging your hd))
Dstro619 5:50 AM - 11 February, 2008
Thanks for the reply djemel. I did defrag my harddrive and i also tried to set the priority to ssl on low but it made it worse...The waveforms became shakey and alot more usb dropouts.
And also at this point i'm thinking about getting xp but i just would hate to have the same problems after doing so.
Muzzat 6:43 AM - 11 February, 2008
i'm guessing that the external power supply didn't help???
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:12 PM - 11 February, 2008
Have any of these suggestions allowed you to drop your usb audio buffer lower than 15?
djmel 10:24 PM - 13 February, 2008
well heres what happen with me now....my ssl1 will work fine for about couple of hours till slow but surely, i have will HAVE to move the buffer back up to the max.((if i put it any lower it will not pick up the coded vinly correctly,it will just distort out and the speed will flux up and down))even if i shut it down and start it back up, it will do the same thing till some few moments later, and i have a good chill mat on my laptop and i defraged my laptop hd and my ext hd(lt=dell inspirion 1501 7200rmp internal hd, 4gigs of physical ram .ext hd segate free agent pro usb/esata,have not tried the esata yet but will today just got my card yesterday) but hey zach s check the steez god, i never had this prob with beta releases that came out. holla back
djmel 10:35 PM - 13 February, 2008
muzzat .with me, no like i said the ssl1 will work fine for a couple of hours till slowly but surely it will just totaly render it self useless untill i set the buffer all the way up to the max.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:04 PM - 13 February, 2008
Hey Mel,

Please start your own thread and we'll help you over there.
Need to keep the current discussion on track.. thanks!
djmel 11:08 PM - 13 February, 2008
ok im stupid for real. start my own thread meaning start my own topic joint??? help me out for real for real((no pun intended))
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:14 PM - 13 February, 2008
Yes:) start another topic for your specific problem.
djmel 11:22 PM - 13 February, 2008
ok bet will do now
djmel 11:22 PM - 13 February, 2008
but in what section / catagory.
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:27 PM - 13 February, 2008
If its an issue with SSL than add it to the 'help' section.
djmel 12:21 AM - 14 February, 2008
i just did. check it out
scratchlive.net
djmel 9:54 PM - 15 February, 2008
dstro try this move ((it worked for me last night)) run serato, hit control alt delete, and click process tab, right click serato, where it says set affinty, -im deeming you have a dual core- click off one of the cpu useages, and this should fix it. it worked for me, holla back let me know if you some help. peace god.
LTeezy619 7:14 AM - 25 February, 2008
HP Pavilion dv6000 is the first thing wrong here....I have gone through 3 of these from HP and im on my 2nd complimentary one. They are just pieces of shit. I use a macbook for ssl and i also get dropouts.
Matt Reverie 1:10 PM - 25 February, 2008
Buy a mac.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:38 PM - 25 February, 2008
Dstro,

Did you get your dropout issue sorted out?
djmel 5:45 PM - 25 February, 2008
yes i did. did u get the video link i sent you. come to find out it was the fact i was using dual core. if i set the affinty on the processor to use just one and not both the issue disappears.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:54 PM - 25 February, 2008
Sorry mel I was asking Dstro since this is his thread.
It looks like Shaun is helping you in your other thread.
djmel 5:55 PM - 25 February, 2008
oh man my bad god.