Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Handbrake Causing Lines?

SCOOTERHOT92 11:32 PM - 24 January, 2008
I use the video sl preset in handbrake except all I tweaked was the crop margin on top and bottom to 1. Reason being is because some videos were outputing with wierd red and green and white noise jut a hair at the very top and bottom of the laterbox margins and this seem to clear the problem up. I have noticed though sometimes the videos appear to have some motion problems when there is alot of stuff going on in the scene....they appear to be horizontal lines sometimes in the video for a second or two. Can this be fixed or is this something handbrake creates?
a-swift 12:45 AM - 25 January, 2008
do you see the lines on your TV and your laptop screen or just your laptop screen. And when I say TV I do mean television. Not a second monitor, a projector or some other device you have hooked to your 2nd video port.
Serato, Support
Matt G 1:49 AM - 25 January, 2008
That sounds like interlacing, which is something that exists in the source material. In Handbrake's picture settings you want to turn on deinterlacing. Give that a try.
a-swift 3:00 PM - 25 January, 2008
Quote:
That sounds like interlacing, which is something that exists in the source material. In Handbrake's picture settings you want to turn on deinterlacing. Give that a try.

I've seen this reply too many times on this forum. Deinterlacing introduces loss. Period. There is no way around it. I'm not sure telling people to deinterlace is the right answer. A better answer would be to help them try to understand what interlacing is, why its there and what they can do to get rid of it. I think the most important part of that explanation would be to point out that deinterlacing introduces loss, and really the only advantage is it makes the picture on your computer screen look better. The TVs already handled interlaced images properly and that's what the audience sees anyway.
Serato, Support
Matt G 12:03 AM - 26 January, 2008
Quote:
The TVs already handled interlaced images properly and that's what the audience sees anyway.

The interlaced content of one video is mixed with the content of the video on the other deck. The final output is not interlaced, thus no TV is going to be able to deinterlace it. If the TVs could cope with multiple streams (and the mixing done at the TV) then they could be made aware that one of the streams is interlaced and potentially deinterlace it. But that's not real world right now.

If you want to avoid the loss of deinterlacing then the only viable option I'm aware of is finding replacement source material that isn't interlaced to start with.
a-swift 2:28 AM - 26 January, 2008
matt, i think what you're trying to say is serato's output is progressive. so forget what i said.

but the part about combining interlaced sources you wrote is not true. time based corrected sources can output and final interlaced image no problem with hardware and software can do it as well. just because serato doesnt do it doesnt mean it cant be done.

now im glad i deinterlaced all my videos, losses and all.
Serato, Support
Matt G 9:58 AM - 26 January, 2008
It's true that the TV can't do the deinterlacing, but VIDEO-SL potentially could, yes.
dj doggfather 5:36 AM - 28 February, 2008
i see lines even when i watch them on my pc using quicktime player...its like the player cant keep up with the video in some cases.....but i use a mac when i play and still got the lines...the videos are in mov. format...dont know why it does that but it dont do that with mp4 files i get from internet sites???
sixxx 6:38 AM - 28 February, 2008
dj doggfather. You need to deinterlace when converting.
djpuma_gemini 6:46 AM - 28 February, 2008
Sixxx, jumping on the de-interlacing bandwagon. I don't mind some loss to make video look smooth.

I'm not trying to spin some 1080p stuff here. As long as I don't see bad pixelation, I'm ok.
dj doggfather 7:34 AM - 28 February, 2008
ill look on the program i use...would that be what its called on the MAGIC CONVERTER program???im running it now so ill look after but thanks for the advice sixxx....
sixxx 8:28 AM - 28 February, 2008
No problem doggfather. I'm a new teletubby too. So, I'm learning as I go. :)
dj doggfather 1:41 AM - 29 February, 2008
that is awesome sixxx....aint we all tho!!!!
Fullynuts 7:04 AM - 7 July, 2017
If anyone else ever ask what deinterlace and interlace is. To make it short : When you watch videos sometimes you could see horizontal lines from top to bottom flickering and moving. This is caused by interlacing. Deinterlacing is to remove the lines and turn the video into progressive. To deal with interlacing, people usually use VLC www.videolan.org containing anti-interlacing option to directly play your video without annoying horizontal lines. Or download some third-pary programs like Deinterlacer Free to directly convert your deinterlaced video into a progressive one.
www.videoconverterfactory.com