Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

FYI: Howto Get itch output through macbook pro speakers

ed209 10:03 PM - 1 June, 2012
I figured out how to get sound from my vci-300MKII to play through my macbook pro speakers and thought I should post it. You need an RCA -> 1/8th stereo cable. Plug the RCA master outs into the line in on your macbook. If you open up sys prefs -> sound you'll see the signal coming into your line in, but there is no way to route that sound to the internal speakers directly.

You need to use a program to read that incoming signal and route it back through your speakers. I use the free program called "LineIn" which is available here:

rogueamoeba.com

Select input as line in, and output as Internal speakers and then click pass-thru, you'll now here your itch master out through your laptop speakers.

Hope that helps other people that just wanna bring their laptop and vci-300 with them and not mess around with additional speakers.
Panotaker 1:11 PM - 2 June, 2012
I tried it and it does work, but there is a huge delay, so it is useless for me, unless I am doing something wrong. I got a 13" mac with only one headphone jack.
Raef 3:56 AM - 4 June, 2012
I'd be curious to know if this truly does work and if so, is there a delay in output sound as panotaker has mentioned?
10:57 PM, 4 Jun 2012
Discussion moved to ITCH General Discussion
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:58 PM - 4 June, 2012
Thanks ed209,

Ill move this into the General Discussion area as I'm sure a lot of people will be able to benefit from this :)

Take care,
Scott
DJPrice_inMD 1:24 PM - 5 June, 2012
i have used this with great success many times. Works great for running your Itch setup into USB computer speakers. I don't know what delay Panotaker is talking about because the LineIn app is simply allowing your input line signal to be routed into your output line on the computer. I use an NS7 and have had zero issues. Also works well with the BassJump portable subwoofer with a little configuring.

If you do use USB speakers then make sure you select them as the output in the app however or the music will come through the computer speakers while all other computer functions like iTunes will run through the USB speakers.
Panotaker 6:57 PM - 5 June, 2012
I ran it through the regular built in computer speakers on the laptop. I thought that is what you was talking about doing. I had a huge delay running it that way through my 13" mac. I don't see what the advantage is to run it through external USB speakers. Might as well just run external speakers straight from the back of the NS7. Are you able to run the built in speakers on a laptop without a delay? I would like to be able to do that so I can practice with my VCI-300 without needing extra speakers, just the built in laptop speakers.
ed209 11:15 PM - 10 June, 2012
I've got no delay with my macbook pro speakers, but I'm running it into the linein plug. Not sure what you need to do if you only have one 1/8th in jack. Do you have any options for setting whether that plug is an input or an output within system prefs?

I don't run any external speakers, just the built in laptop speakers.
H2o 3:29 PM - 11 June, 2012
I do this regularly, outputting to a set of Logitech speakers connected to my headphone port.

I do experience audio delays every once in a while, the fix is very simple:

close LineIn, reopen it, and voila - delay gone.

No idea why it happens, but that's the fix that works every time.
DJPrice_inMD 10:47 PM - 12 June, 2012
I do this in a variety of combinations and have never had any delay issues. I do use the Line In on my MBP (which Apple sadly seems to be getting rid of on MBA and the new MBP retina). These days I do usually just run an external speaker out of my NS7 because I just wasn't getting enough thump to really hear the different tones when I used LineIn. Plus I worry that this solution will damage the computer speakers long-term if I am not always as careful with the gain as I should be.
internetdarwin 11:00 PM - 24 April, 2013
I know this thread is old, but I figured I throw in my thoughts in case anyone is still having the delay issue. The delay problem is very real and I've experienced it on my 15" MBP. How I got around the line-in delay: Use GarageBand. Whatever internal mechanism GarageBand uses to pipe the line input to the internal speaker output bypasses the software based solutions from free programs that you can find that claim to do the same thing.

Open up Garage Band then go to add a new "real" instrument track, then to the lower right hand side you will see some settings for Input Source, Monitor, and Recording Level.

Set the input source to your line in.
Make sure that "monitor" is checked (this will pipe the audio back out through your speakers, with zero perceived delay) and adjust the input record volume for clipping. Hope this helps someone in the future checking these threads.

Oh and make sure to turn the metronome off if you also want to record your session with garageband as well: Command-U or Control menu -> Metronome.
Rasta Four-Eyes 4:26 AM - 20 August, 2013
This was an excellent thread to discover. Works great. Thank you.