DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ 850 VS. 900?

Edward Netter 10:47 PM - 26 May, 2012
Good afternoon everyone,

I've been using DJ controller for the last few years and would like to invest into more conventional DJ equipment. I already bought a DJM-800, a SL2 box and now hesitating between the different CDJ models. I'm not sure I want to invest into the CDJ-2000 (pricey and apparently going to be replaced soon), that's why I'm hesitating between the 850 or 900.
I will use them at home, mostly to control Serato (CD and HID), but I want to be familiar playing with a USB key as well. That's why I need your experience and advice regarding those 2 models?
As a Serato user, do the extra features on the CDJ-900 are useful and worth the price?
Is the feeling/experience really different between those two?

My goal here is to get home, a set up who will allow me to be familiar with what I'll find in clubs (i.e. CDJ-1000/2000)...

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Cheers,

Edward.
djvtyme85 7:33 AM - 27 May, 2012
i just went ahead and brought a 900 over the 850. The main reason being the slight price difference between the upgrade, vinyl tension adjust on the platter (as im coming from 15 years using turntables), larger display (bad eyes lol) & slip mode. In your case I would go with the 850 because your coming from a controller and some of the reasons i chose a 900 were solely based on wanting the closest to turntable feel. Also, you cant go wrong the 1000 mk3 as this what will be at most clubs. The prices are similar to a bar of 850s new etc
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:23 AM - 27 May, 2012
Was in the same situation as you too. Ended up buying the 900 because of the LAN Link. All I need is one USB key. Then I wanted something that looks super close to the 2000 but not for the price.
Heard nothing but great news about the 850s too.
The other thing that pushed me towards the 900 was the early HID support for Scratch Live. The support didn't come for 850s and 350s for a long while. Just felt Pioneer / Serato rated the 2000/900 higher in terms of "support".
Asu 3:40 PM - 16 January, 2014
well now we have the 900 Nexus...was thinking about getting the 850's but these 900 NXS are sleek,color LCD and the link feature is very cool when playing off one USB instead of 2 plus other features...