DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hip Hop Heads: 1st and/or Most Memorable Hip Hop Moment

the Snowman 3:29 PM - 21 May, 2012
Well, they say death comes in 3's. I don't know about that, but we have recently lost "M.C. A" of the Beastie Boys, Donna Summers, and now Robin Gibbs. This got me to thinking about my love of Hip Hop Culture (MC'ing, DJ'ing, Graffiti, and Break-dancing) .

What's that!? What do Robin Gibbs and Donna Summers have to do with Hip Hop? For me, EVERYTHING!

Hip Hop and Disco are synonymous for me, as I grew up on both. Also, Hip Hop was Uptown's answer to the downtown scene of Studio 54 and such. And they were both vilified by the mainstream public and predicted to die an early death. Unfortunately that was true of Disco (yeah, I know we have Nu Disco, but it is just that, "nu"). However Hip Hop is approaching it's 35th Birthday (I base that on the timeline of 1978 to present).

I remember those early days of Hip Hop, when all the samples were based on Disco songs ("Good Times", "Pull up to the Bumper", "Genius of Love") and rappers wore sequined, skin tight outfits with platform shoes. And they danced!! Run DMC and LL Cool J were the "New" School and Run DMC's "Rock Box" was the first Hip Hop Video every played on MTV (remember when they were commercial free and just played videos!!?)

Anyway, enough of an old man rambling on (when I was a boy, it used to snow 12 feet...!).

I was in high school when "Rapper's Delight" came out, and while it was ok, the over saturation of the song at the time, didn't define it as a Hip Hop moment for me.

My first first/favorite Hip Hop moment came for me when I heard "Super Rhyme" by Jimmy Spicer (I'm Sup, Sup, Super Rhymes...!). THAT was a defining Hip Hop moment for me. I lived in rural South Jersey, and the bus ride to school was about 20 minutes. This almost 15 minute epic was long enough to last the entire ride...lol
Watchwww.youtube.com

That and Kurtis Blow's "Christmas Rappin'" are the reasons I fell in love with Hip Hop. My other memorable Hip Hop moment is living in Atlantic City, NJ in the early 80's and using spit, some aluminum foil, and about 3 hangers to pull in the Mr. Magic show on 'HBI, just so I could have the fresh NY shit on cassette tape for all the Jersey suckas! I ALWAYS carried a boom box up on the boards!

What is your 1st/most memorable hip hop moment(s)? Sorry if this thread is a repeat, didn't see another.

In the infamous words of KRS-One: "Rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live."
DJ GaFFle 6:25 PM - 21 May, 2012
Heading to the cafeteria in college and and hearing this obnoxiously iLL but infectious screeching noise coming from this guy's dorm room window. He had a boom box blasting a song I had never heard, Public Enemy's "Rebel without a Pause".

That song, "Top Billin" and "I Know You Got Soul" by Eric B. and Rakim held the year down. Hip Hop was alive and well...
Chrisjin 7:01 PM - 21 May, 2012
When that Youtube sensation "Crank Dat" was everywhere. Hip hop was birthed
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:13 PM - 21 May, 2012
yo mtv raps..... quite possibly. Hard to say though, my early memories are from the early 80's.
pdidy 7:42 PM - 21 May, 2012
The summer of 1979, Bedstuy Brooklyn block party, I saw Good times by Chic getting scratch for the 1st time.......
I knew I had to be a dj from that moment.......
MrMoody 8:05 PM - 21 May, 2012
The first time I saw the documentary "Style Wars" on PBS...I was hooked. Follow that up with "Wild Style" and it was a rap (pun intended).
DJ Alkemy 8:17 PM - 21 May, 2012
Seeing my cousin and his breakdance crew perform on national TV. He got me into Hip-Hop due to him having the vinyl of Beastie Boys Licensed To Ill and me loving the cover. I been into Hip-Hop ever since and still follow it with a huge passion to this day.
the Snowman 9:23 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Heading to the cafeteria in college and and hearing this obnoxiously iLL but infectious screeching noise coming from this guy's dorm room window. He had a boom box blasting a song I had never heard, Public Enemy's "Rebel without a Pause".

That song, "Top Billin" and "I Know You Got Soul" by Eric B. and Rakim held the year down. Hip Hop was alive and well...

The first time I heard Eric B. and Rakim's "Eric B is President", I knew the Hip Hop game had changed forever! That was the same year that Run DMC dropped "Raising Hell" with "My Adidas" and Peter Piper". The next year, BDP dropped "Criminal Minded" and Hip Hop began its' Golden Era.
the Snowman 9:29 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
The first time I saw the documentary "Style Wars" on PBS...I was hooked. Follow that up with "Wild Style" and it was a rap (pun intended).

Wild Style for me is still the best movie on Hip Hop culture...bar none (even if it comes across as a B Movie). And one of the best soundtracks: Double Trouble, Busy Bee, Cold Crush...
Thundercat 10:14 PM - 21 May, 2012
1st? When I got back to the States from Germany (Army Brat) and heard Rapper's Delight on the radio; 1980

Most memorable? That's a lot tougher. More like a period than a single event. 1982: The year of Planet Rock, Buffalo Gals and The Message (the album). Also, Mr Magic's Rap Attack moved to WBLS in July of 1982.
Chrisjin 12:30 AM - 22 May, 2012
Seriously, first time I was exposed to the sound of hip hop was when my brother copped a copy of "Do The Right Thing" and that opening title got me like WOW
SpareChange 12:36 AM - 22 May, 2012
If I'm being completely honest it was Chaka Khan's - I Feel for you that did it for me..that was the first time I had a favorite song as a child and that video had me thinking I was a b-boy and wanting to be a DJ.
CMOS 12:47 AM - 22 May, 2012
Things that popped into my head as i read this, first memory and notable moments:

My older brothers friend used to come through with dope electro (the real electro) mixtapes in the 80's had the boombox with the shoulder strap n everything. I got my ass beat a few times for lifting them tapes. One of the tapes had had a dj cuttin up some james brown, and had paid in full on the other side, im pretty sure i rocked that song like 500 times in a row.

Remembering watchin ppl walkin through the neighborhood with half a lionleum floor to breakdance on the corner.

Seeing naughty by nature live at radio city music hall (them and trilogy opened for Prince).

Seeing black sheep perform choice is yours at an under 18 club in Brooklyn. Another ass whoopin for sneaking out to that show.

Method man n redman at palladium, sick ass show, meth jumped from the dj booth to the stage.

Dmx live at tunnel.
the Snowman 2:31 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
1st? When I got back to the States from Germany (Army Brat) and heard Rapper's Delight on the radio; 1980

Most memorable? That's a lot tougher. More like a period than a single event. 1982: The year of Planet Rock, Buffalo Gals and The Message (the album). Also, Mr Magic's Rap Attack moved to WBLS in July of 1982.

I remember cats used to have juggling/scratchin' routines of Planet Rock that took up the whole side of a 90 minute tape...and that's all! No other songs...it was like a thing for a minute, where you just rocked doubles for as long as you could...or until the tape ran out!
Nicky Blunt 3:33 AM - 22 May, 2012
Earliest memory? Damn that's tough prob beat street @ a friends house.

Most memorable moment? For me it was seeing cutmaster swift on terry wogan. LOL
(personal fave moment that is)

Watchwww.youtube.com

For all the UK headz!

Actual most memorable moment?

Seeing my first ever dmc championship. I was hooked on skratching from then on.
the Snowman 2:56 AM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

For all the UK headz!

Wasn't Cutmaster Swift like the first DMC champion or something?
dj_soo 5:11 AM - 2 June, 2012
this blew my adolescent mind:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:51 AM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
The summer of 1979, Bedstuy Brooklyn block party, I saw Good times by Chic getting scratch for the 1st time.......

Block parties and jams in the park were sooo dope back then. DJ's cutting up :
Good Times
Sing Sing
Dance To The Drummer Beat
Love Is The Message
Funky President
DJ Alkemy 8:34 AM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

For all the UK headz!

Nah, Swift won it about five or so years in. He won it the year after Cash Money. Chad Jackson (hear the drummer) also won it before him.
the Snowman 1:35 PM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
this blew my adolescent mind:

Watchwww.youtube.com

that would do it...dope!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:52 PM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
Well, they say death comes in 3's. I don't know about that, but we have recently lost "M.C. A" of the Beastie Boys, Donna Summers, and now Robin Gibbs. This got me to thinking about my love of Hip Hop Culture (MC'ing, DJ'ing, Graffiti, and Break-dancing) .

What's that!? What do Robin Gibbs and Donna Summers have to do with Hip Hop? For me, EVERYTHING!

Hip Hop and Disco are synonymous for me, as I grew up on both. Also, Hip Hop was Uptown's answer to the downtown scene of Studio 54 and such. And they were both vilified by the mainstream public and predicted to die an early death. Unfortunately that was true of Disco (yeah, I know we have Nu Disco, but it is just that, "nu"). However Hip Hop is approaching it's 35th Birthday (I base that on the timeline of 1978 to present).

I remember those early days of Hip Hop, when all the samples were based on Disco songs ("Good Times", "Pull up to the Bumper", "Genius of Love") and rappers wore sequined, skin tight outfits with platform shoes. And they danced!! Run DMC and LL Cool J were the "New" School and Run DMC's "Rock Box" was the first Hip Hop Video every played on MTV (remember when they were commercial free and just played videos!!?)

Anyway, enough of an old man rambling on (when I was a boy, it used to snow 12 feet...!).

I was in high school when "Rapper's Delight" came out, and while it was ok, the over saturation of the song at the time, didn't define it as a Hip Hop moment for me.

My first first/favorite Hip Hop moment came for me when I heard "Super Rhyme" by Jimmy Spicer (I'm Sup, Sup, Super Rhymes...!). THAT was a defining Hip Hop moment for me. I lived in rural South Jersey, and the bus ride to school was about 20 minutes. This almost 15 minute epic was long enough to last the entire ride...lol
Watchwww.youtube.com

That and Kurtis Blow's "Christmas Rappin'" are the reasons I fell in love with Hip Hop. My other memorable Hip Hop moment is living in Atlantic City, NJ in the early 80's and using spit, some aluminum foil, and about 3 hangers to pull in the Mr. Magic show on 'HBI, just so I could have the fresh NY shit on cassette tape for all the Jersey suckas! I ALWAYS carried a boom box up on the boards!

What is your 1st/most memorable hip hop moment(s)? Sorry if this thread is a repeat, didn't see another.

In the infamous words of KRS-One: "Rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live."

You and I are cut from the same cloth.

RESPECT.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:54 PM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:

NOW I know why I like you.

Man, it's good to see cats on here who REALLY know their history...

Or should I say, grew up in a certain era....

RESPECT GIVEN...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 2 June, 2012
For me? Well, I wanted to be a DJ before HipHop even came around, so I was doing pause button tapes from the radio, but I was in Vacation Bible School, and some kid walked by with "Grand Master Flash's Wheels Of Steel, and it was a HipHop mission from that point...

Then stuff like Buffalo Gals and 2,3, Break came out and it was a wrap.

I thought Chuck Chillout was the ILLEST DJ ever at the time..
the Snowman 11:01 PM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
For me? Well, I wanted to be a DJ before HipHop even came around, so I was doing pause button tapes from the radio, but I was in Vacation Bible School, and some kid walked by with "Grand Master Flash's Wheels Of Steel, and it was a HipHop mission from that point...

Yeah, I still play 2, 3, Break and "Rock the House"! Damn, those were the days...
Nicky Blunt 12:43 PM - 3 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

For all the UK headz!

Cutmaster swift was the 3rd DJ from the UK to win the DMC world title. Roger Johnson Was the first winner ever in 1985 he was from the UK, Then Chad Jackson in 87 Then Cutmaster Swift in 89.

1985 - Roger Johnson (UK)
1986 - DJ Cheese (USA) - Brought scratching into the battle
1987 - Chad Jackson (UK)
1988 - DJ Cash Money (USA) - Helped invent the transformer scratch
1989 - Cutmaster Swift (UK)
1990 - DJ David (Germany)
1991 - DJ David (Germany)
1992 - Rocksteady DJs (Mix Master Mike, DJ Q-Bert, and DJ Apollo) (USA)
1993- /1994[1] - Dreamteam (Mix Master Mike and DJ Q-Bert) (USA)
1995 - Roc Raida (USA) - X-Men (a.k.a. The X-Ecutioners) [2]
1996 - DJ Noize (Denmark)
1997 - DJ A-Trak (Canada) - youngest ever world champion aged 15, Kanye West's tour DJ
1998 - DJ Craze (USA)
1999 - DJ Craze (USA)
2000 - DJ Craze (USA)
2001 - Plus One (UK) - Scratch Perverts
2002 - DJ Kentaro (Japan) - The first Asian winner, obtained the best score ever to the DMC World DJ Championships.
2003 - Dopey (Canada)
2004 - ie.Merg (USA)
2005 - ie.Merg (USA)
2006 - Netik (France)
2007 - Rafik (Germany) - Holds record number of 6 world DJ titles
2008 - DJ Fly (France)
2009 - DJ Shiftee (USA)
2010 - Ligone (France)
2011 - DJ Vajra (USA)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:15 PM - 3 June, 2012
Quote:

1986 - DJ Cheese (USA) - Brought scratching into the battle

This guy kept me on my toes since he was the next town over....
4mydawgz 5:11 PM - 4 June, 2012
Walking into Sam Goodie at age 12, and purchasing the Onyx Bacdafucup tape.
DJ GaFFle 6:59 PM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I still play 2, 3, Break and "Rock the House"! Damn, those were the days...
I
I got'em on wax. Same here.
Esco... 7:21 PM - 4 June, 2012
Hmm, I started listening to hip hop when I was 16, so about 6 years ago. I guess the best moment was walking into Sam Goody's, seeing the Illmatic 10 Year anniversary cd and deciding right there and then that I was going to buy it, based on everything I'd read about it. Been bumping it since and loving it.
DJ GaFFle 7:29 PM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
Hmm, I started listening to hip hop when I was 16, so about 6 years ago. I guess the best moment was walking into Sam Goody's, seeing the Illmatic 10 Year anniversary cd and deciding right there and then that I was going to buy it, based on everything I'd read about it. Been bumping it since and loving it.

Great indoctrination CD right there buddy!
Esco... 8:05 PM - 4 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Great indoctrination CD right there buddy!

The first time I heard Represent off that album. I couldn't stop hitting rewind. Same thing happened when I first heard Tearz by the Wu. Then I became obsessed with Liquid Swords. The first 2 years of me "discovering" hip hop were amazing. It was an indescribable feeling, that I don't feel anymore unfortunately.
FunkyRob 11:52 PM - 5 June, 2012
1. Hearing Rappers Delight on the radio on KSOL in 1979

2. Seeing this episode of "That's incredible". We were poppin' and doing the wave and stuff in my neighborhood, but this was the first time I saw breakdancing.

Watchwww.youtube.com

3. Seeing Beat Street in 1984 and for the first time really seeing what was going on in New York, learning about the whole tie in with Graffiti, DJing and Rap.
studio17 8:24 AM - 6 June, 2012
Quote:
Seeing Beat Street in 1985 [East Germany] and for the first time really seeing what was going on in New York ...
jajoja 1:02 PM - 6 June, 2012
Rappers Delight 79 paying $2.39 for the album and playing it everyday on my parents hi-fi till I knew all the lyrics. We talking a full 15 minutes of music. @Johnny M finally admiting those tapes were pause button twenty eight years latta!!
DJ Remy USA 3:17 PM - 6 June, 2012
What really grabbed me into hiphop was Bone Thugs N Harmony Creepin on tha come up CD. After that I was hooked on hiphop. East 1999 Eternal was my shit as well and I think my favorite Hiphop Album still

I loved anything that was produced by DJ Premire those sampled beats were just magic to me. Mass Appeal by Gangstarr sticks out as a child hood favorite.
DJ Remy USA 3:18 PM - 6 June, 2012
I saw someone mention Liquid Swords by GZA which is very dope albume
EdT2000 4:06 PM - 6 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Seeing Beat Street in 1985 (UK) and for the first time really seeing what was going on in New York ...

Collecting the Streetsounds Electro series and setting the tape deck to record Mike Allen's Hip Hop show on Capital FM. I was hooked and started buying everything I could lay my hands on.

My most memorable moment was hearing Public Enemy do Rebel Without A Pause for the first time. They were live on some show in the UK and said this was the first time they had ever played this new track of theirs. I already had Yo Bum Rush The Show, which I thought was an OK album, but I just knew this new record was going to change Hip Hop forever....
FunkyRob 9:22 PM - 6 June, 2012
Quote:
Rappers Delight 79 paying $2.39 for the album and playing it everyday on my parents hi-fi till I knew all the lyrics. We talking a full 15 minutes of music. @Johnny M finally admiting those tapes were pause button twenty eight years latta!!

Did you memorize the words at the end when all 3 guys are rapping at the same time?
FunkyRob 9:27 PM - 6 June, 2012
I need to add this to the list.

Seeing Herbie Hancock perform Rockit live on the Grammy awards in 1983 and figuring out where that wick, wick, wah, wick, wick, wick, wah sound was coming from.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJJorel 3:13 AM - 7 June, 2012
Being able to sit down and have a dinner with KRS-One himself...it was with me and about 5 other people...

Don't care if anyone believes me or not...
Steve Dub. 7:58 PM - 7 June, 2012
I used to DJ for a company that throws concerts in Hollywood and got to open for a TON of my favorite hip-hop artist but the most memorable was getting to kick it and drink/smoke with Souls of Mischief before their show. 93 till infinity is one of my top 3 favorite songs of all time (next to TROY and Runnin)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:35 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:

LOL, who dat?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Did you memorize the words at the end when all 3 guys are rapping at the same time?

I've got a version of Rapper's Delight where it must have been one of the early mixdowns because at the end it goes on for like a full extra minute - I thought I was buggin when I heard it.

Like the unreleased version and whatnot.
jajoja 5:59 AM - 8 June, 2012
Why dont u have a mac?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:35 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
Why dont u have a mac?

LOL! Oh, aitte...whaddup dude?

BTW, I was makin' pause button tapes from the time of being in Cub Scouts (DJ Scorpio's mom was the Den mother), until I started borrowing equipment.... :-)
pdidy 8:57 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

NOW I know why I like you.

Man, it's good to see cats on here who REALLY know their history...

Or should I say, grew up in a certain era....

RESPECT GIVEN...

Man you have no idea, I uses to hustle 25 cent packs of fire cracker just so I could make money for 12 D cell batteries (used per day) for my boom box(members.tripod.com) + ( brainsonfire.com ) so I could walk all over the hood with my boys sportin my latest pause button mix tape of Good times,bounce rock skate, Big Beat and Rocket in the pocket by Cerrone.....True Story...
pdidy 9:46 AM - 8 June, 2012
In 1989 I was one of the hottest scratch djs in my hood. My boy told me he wanted me to battle some dj named DJ Scratch from Albany projects in Brooklyn. I had no idea who dj scratch was or the fact that he was 1988s New Music Seminar Battle For World Supremacy DJ Champion. So me, my boy an 2 of my homegirls go to dudes crib for a battle. Long story short...... dj scratch destroyed me so bad with body tricks and scratch techniques i had NEVER seen before..........I couldn't mix for weeks an wanted to quit djin.....In about 6 months i master every body trick and scratch technique so it only made my stronger..........Memorable Hip Hop Moment
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:16 PM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
In 1989 I was one of the hottest scratch djs in my hood. My boy told me he wanted me to battle some dj named DJ Scratch from Albany projects in Brooklyn. I had no idea who dj scratch was or the fact that he was 1988s New Music Seminar Battle For World Supremacy DJ Champion. So me, my boy an 2 of my homegirls go to dudes crib for a battle. Long story short...... dj scratch destroyed me so bad with body tricks and scratch techniques i had NEVER seen before..........I couldn't mix for weeks an wanted to quit djin.....In about 6 months i master every body trick and scratch technique so it only made my stronger..........Memorable Hip Hop Moment

Ha! NICE! In 1983/84 my cousin was friends with DJ Cheese and often said he thought I would WIN against Cheese in a battle, so he went to go set it up. He and Cheese lived in Plainfield the next town over, and I was the guy in my hood who was known as the "DJ with the Glasses" that would "wreck" you.

He went to go set up the battle, and Cheese said something about he only battles for "Equipment", and I was good with that, but the problem was that I didn't OWN any equipment, so it never went down....

Then, was too late for me to start battling people for equipment because my reputation preceded me and cats already knew better, plus I was on the High School radio station using this - >> www.djjohnnym.com and was killin' it...on the air...local MC's and all...in 1983/84...the Radio Station manager thought I was gonna break "the needles" cuz I was "scratchin"..lol...

Who knew it would then turn into what it has...

I actually tried to battle a local cat (DJ Hollywood) who was #1 in the area and would let me on SOMETIMES, and at one party, I was talkin' smack, and he proceeded to WAX ME, on SL-B1's using Good Times and Pickering needles...

Now, I put up a DECENT fight, but it was obvious who won, lol...body tricks, behind the back and all of that...he killed me.

However, that DID put me on the map and I gained respect, so it was on and poppin' after that...

The Good Ol' Days.
the Snowman 1:57 AM - 9 June, 2012

Man I remember that boom box by JVC. They used to have one with a smaller speaker for 8 tracks...I think it was yellow. Damn those were the days!
the Snowman 1:58 AM - 9 June, 2012
My first boombox only took 8 D Batteries, but I remember getting a strap for that baby, since I took it EVERYWHERE, and it would start feeling heavy.
Nicky Blunt 10:54 AM - 9 June, 2012
Quote:
My first boombox only took 8 D Batteries, but I remember getting a strap for that baby, since I took it EVERYWHERE, and it would start feeling heavy.

D muthafucka D!!! Learn to speak english Allright!!!!

hahahaha

Good times indeed!
the Snowman 7:23 PM - 9 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

D muthafucka D!!! Learn to speak english Allright!!!!

hahahaha

Good times indeed!

lol...one of my favorite movies. I went to see "Do the Right Thing" in Manhattan the night it came out, and it was the first, and only, movie I ever attended that got a standing ovation at the end. Blew my mind...
Paris Pinkney 8:41 PM - 15 June, 2012
LL Cool J auditioning in Krush Grove - classic. "Yo box!"
Hassle 11:53 AM - 16 June, 2012
my most memorable hiphop moment was a surprise Group Home concert at a club in Brooklyn. Lil' Dap just got outta jail that week and he killed it. Smoking weed in the streets with Juju of the Beatnuts outside before the show enhanced the experience.
fadedp 9:09 PM - 18 June, 2012
CMC WITH CHUY GOMEZ...bay area stand up!!
canicypher 3:54 AM - 19 June, 2012
First CD i bought with my own money was 36 chambers..i was maybe 11or so...I remember copping Reasonable Doubt when I was 13...been my fav album ever since...

I remember me and my cousin taping the 45 minute DMX, Noreaga, Canibus freestyle on hot 97 (although, they were pretty much all verses they had already) but was still dope.

I remember spending countless hours in record stores starting around '98 (when i started djing)....first records I bought were Canibus - 2nd round KO and lord tariq & peter gunnz Deja Vu...doubles of each.

I loved digging and discovering all the classics from b4 my time too..the 96 US dmc finals really sealed the deal on me wanting to become a DJ..also seeing A-trak win the DMC...kid was like a yr or two younger then me and i saw him and was like yes-that's what i want to do...although didn't get quite as nice as him lol.

I loved growing up in "my" era of hip-hop...36 chambers, illmatic, reasonable doubt, only built for cuban linx, Moment of truth, bacdafucup, shut 'em down, ready to die, every tupac album, the chronic, doggystyle, legal drug money..underground shit i was bumping like bumpy knuckles, buc fifty, killarmy, A+, Jurassic 5, dilated, Em and royce b4 slim shady lp...the movie The Show, Juice (loved the dj battle scene) Scratch, mixtapes like Dirty Harry, Tony Touch's 50 MC's, dj clue, dj juice. All this made me discover and love the era's before mine as well.

I miss that hip-hop...
Nicky Blunt 10:54 PM - 19 June, 2012
Quote:
I miss that hip-hop...

+1
the Snowman 3:21 AM - 21 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I miss that hip-hop...

+1

+1000....sometimes it makes me wonder, "is this what my moms felt like when true soul music started disappearing in the late 70's, or my grandparents when doo wop started to disappear in the late 50's?"...damn it's a bitch seeing an era end