DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Kelly Clarkson? Sublime? Jessica Simpson?

DJLorrence 10:09 PM - 7 October, 2005
Anyone ever mix this stuff in a primarily hip hop set? what was the result?
bush 11:44 PM - 7 October, 2005
Ye the mixer blew up
Rebelguy 11:45 PM - 7 October, 2005
Depends on the crowd. One of my biggest songs a month or two ago was the Kelly Clarkson song. This was at primarily white and asian parties but it did work? Which Sublime...Smoke Two Joints...that one is hot. Not a big Jessica Simpson MUSIC fan...she is hot though...haha.
Wes_Wes 5:48 AM - 8 October, 2005
White girls love Kelly Clarkson, I drop it after humps but. I stay in rock or 80s rock after kelly.. Like Gorillas feel good inc.. etc.
DJBlisk 6:42 AM - 8 October, 2005
Kelly Clarkson blows up with mainstream crowds.
Ras Gonzo 7:54 PM - 8 October, 2005
You should check your brain out for even thinking of mixing Sublime with that CRAP. Kelly Who?
DJLorrence 9:19 PM - 8 October, 2005
be nice, i spin for the people not my own selfish, self centered entertainment.
DJLorrence 9:20 PM - 8 October, 2005
EGO
edging
god
out
Ras Gonzo 1:41 AM - 9 October, 2005
If you play Sublime you play for the PEOPLE. Playing that other stuff you play for the MASSES. Sublime is sacred, that other stuff isn't. Bigtime clash, fo-pa. If I was at that party I would be VERY upset at the DJ who mixed that. That's like mixing Jimi Hendrix w/ Shakira, or the Beatles w/ Allanis Moreashit, or Primus w/ Dolly Parton, etc...
DJLorrence 2:18 AM - 9 October, 2005
well i guess you would wanna kick my ass, but that would never happen big boy. lol.
Ras Gonzo 2:52 AM - 9 October, 2005
I'm a lover not a fighter...
djjstylz 3:29 AM - 9 October, 2005
obviously you have to play for the crowd. If you are at a small hiphop bar then you play hihop, if you play a big hiphop club then you have a wider variety of hiphop to play, sometimes you do a gig where the crowd is mixed and you get those kelly, jessica and britney requests. If you don't play it there the crowd won't be happy. You gotta be versatile and be able to pick up on the vibe of the crowd.
DJ Lee 10:28 AM - 9 October, 2005
My buddy dropped "Cecelia" by Simon & Garfunkel in the middle of a Hip Hop set on a dare.......believe it or not, they ate it up....

I heard Doc Martin drop "Bad boy Leroy brown" by Jim Croce in the middle of a set once and killed it....

Sometimes going into left field works......
Then again......sometimes the room will just stare at you like you are a retard.

LoL

I guess it's all about spinning whatever you decide to spin....with serious conviction.
DJLorrence 12:05 PM - 9 October, 2005
awesome input this forum rocks, oh sorry for getting smart with you Gonzo, im just very sensitive about my DJing, i just want to do the best i can!
sixxx 6:16 PM - 9 October, 2005
With DJ'ing (mixing), the possibilities are endless; whether they work or not, that's a different story. :) Furthermore, even if you "kill" it at one venue with one crowd doesn't mean you'll do it again when you try it again. So many variables.

10/4
DJ 3pm 7:00 PM - 9 October, 2005
i've got a snoop dogg sublime remix track that works good for the hip-hop crowd.
Ras Gonzo 7:53 PM - 9 October, 2005
Quote:
awesome input this forum rocks, oh sorry for getting smart with you Gonzo, im just very sensitive about my DJing, i just want to do the best i can!

No problem, I'm just as sensitive about Sublime. To me they are my fav band ever. Their music helped me through some tough times in my life.

Field Marshall is a boss DJ...
Ras Gonzo 7:59 PM - 9 October, 2005
Quote:
i've got a snoop dogg sublime remix track that works good for the hip-hop crowd.

Is it DOIN' TIME? If so, thats a sick track. Also, Trey from the Pharcyde does a pretty sick remix of it as well...
DJ 3pm 11:28 PM - 19 October, 2005
Quote:
Is it DOIN' TIME? If so, thats a sick track. Also, Trey from the Pharcyde does a pretty sick remix of it as well...

nope, summertime
Ras Gonzo 11:46 PM - 19 October, 2005
It's actually called "Doin' Time" not "Summertime" check it:

DOIN' TIME by Sublime

summertime and the livin's easy
bradley's on the microphone with ras m.g.
all the people in the dance will agree
that we're well qualified to represent the lbc
me and louie, run to the party dance to the riddim it gets harder

me and my girl we got this relationship
i love her so bad but she treats me like
on lock down like a penetentury
she spreads her lovin all over and when she gets home theres none left for me

me and louie, we gon run to the party dance to the riddim it gets harder

oh take this veil from off my eyes
my burning sun will some day rise
what am i gonna be doin for a wife say i'm gonna play with myself
show them how we've come off the shelf
so what

bradley on the microphone with ras m.g.
gee me and louie we gon run to the party dance to the riddim it gets harder

evil i've come to tell you that shes evil
most definately
evil ornery scandalous and evil
most definately
the tension is getting hotter
i'd like to hold her head underwater

me and my girl, we've got a relationship
me and my girl, we got a relationship
mmhmm my girl
we got a relationship
oh and my girl
(we got a relationship)

take a tip, take a tip, take a tip from me
all the people in the dance will agree that we're well qualified to represent the lbc me la la louie everybody run to the riddim it gets harder

summertime and the livins easy

(and we can do it like this in the place to be)

she spreads her lovin' all over
and when she gets home there’s none left for me
[chorus]
oh take this veil from off my eyes
My burning sun will someday rise
so what am i gonna be doin' for a wife
said i'm gonna play with myself
show them how we come off the shelf
[chorus]
evil i've come to tell you that she's evil most definately
evil ornery scandalous and evil most definately
the tension is getting hotter i'd like to hold her head underwater
Dj Ryme 11:58 PM - 19 October, 2005
Sublime - Date Rape, works good in the club (not for a black crowd though)hype song that most peeps know, even hip-hop heads like me.
DJ 3pm 2:29 AM - 20 October, 2005
Quote:
It's actually called "Doin' Time" not "Summertime" check it:

gonzo- i know you are a sublime head, but the track i have is called 'summertime', i stumbled acrossed it a few years back when i was looking for a lost boyz track. it does sample/remix 'doin time', but doesn't share the title/credits.

it is definately a bootleg, and isn't even cd quality (so i rarely get a chance to play it outside the house). i have yet to find a 'legit' and/or cd-quality copy of it.
Ras Gonzo 7:06 AM - 20 October, 2005
My bad. Check this site out and look at all the free Sublime bootlegs. Theres one album of all "Doin Time" remixes, one w/ Snoop Dog, maybe it's the same track, just labled wrong?

Check it:

www.sublimearchive.com
DJ 3pm 2:37 PM - 20 October, 2005
ras gonzo- you're the shit man! apparently i have had some whack cassette tape sounding dub of 'doin time (downtown mix)' this whole time! thanks man, this is getting dropped into my next session for sure.
Ras Gonzo 10:09 PM - 20 October, 2005
no problemo, enjoy.