DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mac Scmack!!! You DONT need a Mac....Contrary to what you may have heard!!!!!

Notorious Dj Mac 8:56 PM - 14 May, 2012
Ive been using SL for almost 2 years now. I started with a wack Gateway PC...It did the job...But when I wanted to start doing video, It wouldn't run the Video-SL or Serato Video. Being that Im not a "rich" DJ, I purchased a "used" Mac on ebay and It worked awesome!! After only 2 months, the Mac crapped out on me (motherboard issue) and I was back to the Gateway....So no more Video-SL.....Not having $1200 bucks to buy the cheapest MacBook Pro, I did some research and bought a Samsung NP305E7A. By far the best $449 bucks I have ever spent!!! I can run SL with zero latency and Serato Video with a 5 Latency......to date this PC has been flawless!!! I dont sell computers or work for Samsung. I just wanna let some of you DJ's out there, that are on a buget, know that you can do this Serato thing without spending a small fortune on a Mac!!!
spirez 9:42 PM - 14 May, 2012
Cool story bro.
Billy18bm 9:43 PM - 14 May, 2012
so your saying you do need a mac if you want to run video with a lower latency?
DJ Tecniq 9:45 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
+1000
skinnyguy 9:49 PM - 14 May, 2012
yay, you're the 1%.
the_black_one 10:03 PM - 14 May, 2012
so your name is "DJ MAC"???????
Joee 10:07 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

LOL.......
ced_so_thoed 10:07 PM - 14 May, 2012
ay
That's still gonna depend on somethings. My Windows laptop was doing the job but I couldn't record my mixes while djing without drop outs. I had to have a different laptop to record on. With the Mac, I'm able to dj and record at the same damn time. And I'm gonna see if I could do the video and record it too on the same Mac. Plus being able to partion the hard drive for Windows is neat.
yep
phatbob 10:10 PM - 14 May, 2012
I look forward to reading your help request when a Windows/USB drivers/Bios/graphics update inevitably breaks Serato Video for you at some point in the future.
str8nger 10:23 PM - 14 May, 2012
ok dj mac thanks for letting everyone know
DJ Ness Nice 10:33 PM - 14 May, 2012
my motherboard crapped out on me a couple weeks ago but there was a motherboard/video card recall on the model that i have and apple replaced it for free.. they will replace it for free up to 4yrs after purchase date even if its out of warrantee..
dj_craigmac 10:54 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

LOL.......

Not be confused with dj_craigmac...
Who loves MACs and owns 1 of every item they make except imac
djnonstopla323 11:01 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
Ive been using SL for almost 2 years now. I started with a wack Gateway PC...It did the job...But when I wanted to start doing video, It wouldn't run the Video-SL or Serato Video. Being that Im not a "rich" DJ, I purchased a "used" Mac on ebay and It worked awesome!! After only 2 months, the Mac crapped out on me (motherboard issue) and I was back to the Gateway....So no more Video-SL.....Not having $1200 bucks to buy the cheapest MacBook Pro, I did some research and bought a Samsung NP305E7A. By far the best $449 bucks I have ever spent!!! I can run SL with zero latency and Serato Video with a 5 Latency......to date this PC has been flawless!!! I dont sell computers or work for Samsung. I just wanna let some of you DJ's out there, that are on a buget, know that you can do this Serato thing without spending a small fortune on a Mac!!!
same thing happen to me bro macs are over rated
djdalite 11:03 PM - 14 May, 2012
HEY EVERYBODY!!

I just want to let you know you dont need a Lexus to get to your gigs, a Geo Metro will work just fine

dont believe da hype
Joee 11:04 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
HEY EVERYBODY!!

I just want to let you know you dont need a Lexus to get to your gigs, a Geo Metro will work just fine

dont believe da hype

the geo works, BUT, the lexus will get you there in style ;)
DJ GaFFle 11:25 PM - 14 May, 2012
Such a controversial thread title. I'm gonna get tons of attention when I post it...
DJ Tecniq 11:36 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
my motherboard crapped out on me a couple weeks ago but there was a motherboard/video card recall on the model that i have and apple replaced it for free.. they will replace it for free up to 4yrs after purchase date even if its out of warrantee..
Words of Big Sean
ced_so_thoed 11:46 PM - 14 May, 2012
ay
So just because y'all had problems, you're saying we should stop buying Mac? I had a problem(s) with 2 Toshiba laptops, Western Digital external hard drive, Dodge Stratus, 2 Cadillacs, and my current vehicles Chevy Avalanche and BMW 528i. Shit happens. But I'm not gonna just say don't buy it. It's man made. If it's man made or man maintained it will fail because it has the potential to do so. There are going to be many products better than the favorite. But that is not going to change things. It's all personal preference and affordability.
yep
DJ SPAIR 2:19 AM - 15 May, 2012
Contrary to what you might have heard you don't need a mic stand in front of you while you Dj. =0
DJ EZSMOOTH 2:22 AM - 15 May, 2012
Contrary to what you might have heard, you don't need Serato to DJ, VDJ will work if your on a low budget!

.. right?
ta2423 4:00 AM - 15 May, 2012
Huh? What? Peeps are using computers now?
Jader 4:22 AM - 15 May, 2012
you just jinxed yourself
DJ'Que 4:30 AM - 15 May, 2012
So I can run Sv demo or off player with a PC @ 5 on the usb buffer shit. Im on it.

Might funny this past sat we had a issue and I mean dropouts, couldnt get the drivers installed on the pc for my 62.

on top of that the laptop took 5hr's to load the serato folders.

And im not playing.

Hooked up my mac loaded up and ran good all night.

And u said you can run vsl on a 0 latency (pc's cant go that low)

And sv on a 5.

Do show us.
RogerRabbit 5:44 AM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:

And im not playing.

Lol then your Crates folders on your mac were already populated - tell the whole truth.
HYDRO MATIC 12:51 PM - 15 May, 2012
So moral of the story really is: "Buyer beware when buying used gear off eBay!"

Thanks I have now been warned....
phatbob 1:39 PM - 15 May, 2012
That's true enough, but on the flipside in the last 5 years I've bought 3 MacBook Pros from eBay, and all 3 are still going strong today...
phonze 1:59 PM - 15 May, 2012
the way I see it, if you're gonna use a PC it's best to keep it dedicated for DJing and nothing else. For a Mac, you can use it as your own personal as well as DJing and not have to worry about stability issues for the most part.
Dj Ready Red 2:20 PM - 15 May, 2012
I was a MAC man till my MAC took drop and went to a Dell Studio 1555 and love I use for everything but have it optimized when I use it for Dj'n with no problems never misses a beat the past years when the SL 1 or my 57 no issues period
Notorious Dj Mac 2:41 PM - 15 May, 2012
Most of you all ALL missing the purpose of my post. A MacBook Pro obviously works the best, Serato was designed around it. With that being said, I'm sure none of you are getting Qbert money or Jazzy Jeff money at your shows, and I was just offering an affordable alternative to a Mac. As for the "Lexus" and "Metro" post.....A good DJ can rock a party with a Kazoo!!!! And the name came way before the PC game....lol.....And I'm only able to run SL in Zero Latency....Serato Video will not work that low....I have to set it at 5 for that to work.....And this was only pertaining to normal DJ use....I have no idea how it may work with the bridge or ableton or any thing other than SL and Serato Video
Notorious Dj Mac 2:46 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Contrary to what you might have heard, you don't need Serato to DJ, VDJ will work if your on a low budget!

.. right?

Absolutely....lol.....but I don't know about you but I like vinyl....But I don't like carting crates of records!!!
Notorious Dj Mac 2:47 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

LOL.......

HAHAHA.....Name came WAY before the PC game!!!! lol......But now that I look at it, pretty funny shit!!!!
Notorious Dj Mac 2:50 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:

I wish I had that luck.....Mine was an early 2008 MacBook Pro.....It was awesome....Prob my favorite notebook ever....I just have a had time justifing a 1500 dollar purchase when a 450 one is doing the job.....But im def not anti Mac by any means!!!
Notorious Dj Mac 2:52 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
So I can run Sv demo or off player with a PC @ 5 on the usb buffer shit. Im on it.

Might funny this past sat we had a issue and I mean dropouts, couldnt get the drivers installed on the pc for my 62.

And im not playing.

And u said you can run vsl on a 0 latency (pc's cant go that low)
Serato Video will run @ 5.....Im not sure about Video SL.....I upgraded to SV befor I got this PC...But regular SL with SL1 interface works on zero

And sv on a 5.

Do show us.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 PM - 15 May, 2012
When you can get mix emergency to work on a pc let me know
ced_so_thoed 4:43 PM - 15 May, 2012
ay
I would like to see a dj shut the club down with a a kazoo. And I'm sure just running Serato would work. But I multitask. I dj, record, vdj, download, and edit through 1 comp and the Mac does it well.
yep
sixxx 4:53 PM - 15 May, 2012
The problem with Video SL is that it looks like shit compared to Mix Emergency. So, yes, you do need a Mac as Mix Emergency won't run on a PC.
Notorious Dj Mac 6:31 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
The problem with Video SL is that it looks like shit compared to Mix Emergency. So, yes, you do need a Mac as Mix Emergency won't run on a PC.

What are u even talking about??? This is a Serato forum....I'm sure ME has a support fourm somewhere!!!
Notorious Dj Mac 6:32 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
ay
I would like to see a dj shut the club down with a a kazoo. And I'm sure just running Serato would work. But I multitask. I dj, record, vdj, download, and edit through 1 comp and the Mac does it well.
yep

Thats some serious multi-tasking.....are you doing all that in the club???
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:34 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

What are u even talking about??? This is a Serato forum....I'm sure ME has a support fourm somewhere!!!

What hes saying is VSL is a shit product so to put on the best show you should use mix emergency, which only runs on mac
ced_so_thoed 6:35 PM - 15 May, 2012
ay
I'll record a set in Serato while djing in the club at the same damn time. I haven't recorded a video set in the club yet. I only edit when doing radio mixes.
yep
Notorious Dj Mac 6:35 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
When you can get mix emergency to work on a pc let me know

SV works fine for me!!!! No need to even try!!!!
Notorious Dj Mac 6:43 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What hes saying is VSL is a shit product so to put on the best show you should use mix emergency, which only runs on mac

But you have to understand that my comments were directed at SL and Video-SL...I have no idea what else my PC will or will not run.....Serato Video works awesome for me.....I can mix, cut, scratch, and blend.....Thats all I need!!! I don't need all the fancy shit and aesthetics that I'm sure ME has....Different strokes for different folks my man!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:51 PM - 15 May, 2012
Joee 7:01 PM - 15 May, 2012
MAC's FTW---------> img805.imageshack.us
Papa Midnight 7:08 PM - 15 May, 2012
Oh gosh, did someone REALLY have to start another one of these damned topics? Some people like Mac OS, some people like Windows. Some people like the other so much, they ignore every other topic in this section and jump this one to over 50 post in less than 24 hours so they can come defend their beloved Operating System? Is it really that important?
DJ Remy USA 7:28 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
ay
I'll record a set in Serato while djing in the club at the same damn time. I haven't recorded a video set in the club yet. I only edit when doing radio mixes.
yep

really at the same damn time.....ghetto...just had to point it out as it has been your second reference to "same damn time" which is a wack song that should be turned off "double time"
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:33 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

really at the same damn time.....ghetto...just had to point it out as it has been your second reference to "same damn time" which is a wack song that should be turned off "double time"

Talkin bout 2 whack songs at the same damn time
In two seperate threads at the same damn time
ced_so_thoed 7:39 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

Talkin bout 2 whack songs at the same damn time
In two seperate threads at the same damn time

ay
I'll respond to both of y'all

wait for it...

at the same damn time
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:41 PM - 15 May, 2012
At the same damb time?
Joee 7:44 PM - 15 May, 2012
MAC ...... img805.imageshack.us

i like my mac's ;)
ced_so_thoed 8:01 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
At the same damb time?

ay
adjacent near the abreast confound allotment.
yep
Notorious Dj Mac 9:06 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Oh gosh, did someone REALLY have to start another one of these damned topics? Some people like Mac OS, some people like Windows. Some people like the other so much, they ignore every other topic in this section and jump this one to over 50 post in less than 24 hours so they can come defend their beloved Operating System? Is it really that important?

Well thats def what it turned into.....I dont give 2 shits about osx or windows.....I just want something that works thats in my budget....I found it and thought id share.....These crazys took it to another level....lol
ced_so_thoed 9:53 PM - 15 May, 2012
ay
you're responsible for your thread the activity that goes on it so you are guilty and should be kicked in the nuts by Ray Lewis and that bend it like beckham dude

at the same damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yep
Notorious Dj Mac 12:20 AM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
ay
you're responsible for your thread the activity that goes on it so you are guilty and should be kicked in the nuts by Ray Lewis and that bend it like beckham dude

HAHAHA...Right on Bro!!!!

at the same damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yep
DJMark 12:41 AM - 16 May, 2012
Cool Thread Bro!

LOL.
ta2423 4:16 AM - 16 May, 2012
I was hating on the fact that I would spend $2800 on the macbook I wanted. Stuck with PC for a grip and finally bit the bullet several years back. Now I have 3 Macs and my PC's do all the crap work like surf facebook for my kids. Pc does have its advantages. I dont have to share my Macs with the kids.
C'mon hustle up $700 bucks get on craigslist and buy one. All bs aside even after the new version. VSL sits all by itself and never gets played with. M.E. is where its at. No arguments. You can whine all day about a budget. Get your hustle on. I can kind of understand it if you are doing $25 gigs or freejaying for drinks. Thats your fault. Up your game and your gear will pay for itself as quick as you can put your hustle down.
It feels good to bust out the Mac at a gig, open it and turn on the power. You actually can hear the angels sing. I will never buy a brand new pc ever again. If you are selling yours I will give you $50 and throw it to the kids.
AIRX ONE 5:56 AM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:

+1 mine took a shit 3 times 3 yrs after the 3rd time last yr they gave me a brand-new 2011 in the the box :) no probs
sixxx 2:10 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But you have to understand that my comments were directed at SL and Video-SL...I have no idea what else my PC will or will not run.....Serato Video works awesome for me.....I can mix, cut, scratch, and blend.....Thats all I need!!! I don't need all the fancy shit and aesthetics that I'm sure ME has....Different strokes for different folks my man!!!!

I will say it again cause you seem a little slow.

I'm not talking about anything else other than THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO OUTPUT.
Yes. ME is far superior in anything else too but if the main thing you
should worry about (quality) sucks in VSL, then it's best to move on.

And btw, I DJed on a $500 macbook with VSL for 3 years.
ced_so_thoed 5:08 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:

ay
dead ______________________________________________________________
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:32 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i615.photobucket.com

I'm not talking about anything else other than THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO OUTPUT.
Yes. ME is far superior in anything else too but if the main thing you
should worry about (quality) sucks in VSL, then it's best to move on.

And btw, I DJed on a $500 macbook with VSL for 3 years.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:32 PM - 16 May, 2012
phatbob 5:40 PM - 16 May, 2012
LOL
djcrap 5:47 PM - 16 May, 2012

hahahahahahaha so you saying

SV/ vsl output = vcr

well as

ME output = dvd
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:55 PM - 16 May, 2012
Blu ray son!!
Chrisjin 7:28 PM - 16 May, 2012
Alienware son...I put my Mac aside now
Code:E 7:35 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
yay, you're the 1%.

+1
ced_so_thoed 8:07 PM - 16 May, 2012
ay
2 sons but whose the father?
yep
djcrap 10:58 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
ay
2 sons but whose the father?
yep

no Jerry springer intended son
Joee 10:59 PM - 16 May, 2012
is this a talk show? or a mac tread?
DJ Unique 11:40 PM - 16 May, 2012
The big Mac is horrible.
McD's should be ashamed of trying to feed that to us.
It's not even 100% real beef.
ced_so_thoed 11:41 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
is this a talk show? or a mac tread?

ay
yes
yep
DJ EZSMOOTH 12:31 AM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
The big Mac is horrible.

Unless your drunk.

Then that shit is fucking Filet Mignon
sixxx 4:08 AM - 17 May, 2012

hahaha
DJ Unique 5:26 AM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
The big Mac is horrible.

Unless your drunk.

If you're drunk in Los Angeles then it's Tommy's.
If you're in Queens NY then it's McDowell's Restaurant... Cleo makes a great burger.
Notorious Dj Mac 1:07 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The big Mac is horrible.

Unless your drunk.

If you're in Queens NY then it's McDowell's Restaurant... Cleo makes a great burger.

NICE!!!! Coming to America reference!!! Thats effing awesome!!!!
Papa Midnight 1:28 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The big Mac is horrible.

Unless your drunk.

On the days he's not being knocked over by Samuel L. Jackson that is.
Notorious Dj Mac 5:58 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The big Mac is horrible.

Unless your drunk.

On the days he's not being knocked over by Samuel L. Jackson that is.

HAHA....Usless trivia....That was Sam Jacksons first movie!!!!
Papa Midnight 6:41 PM - 17 May, 2012
You might want to recheck that: www.imdb.com