DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Adjusting turntable settings

DJ-A 3:18 PM - 11 January, 2008
I dont know a lot about adjusting weight and anti-skate on turntables... I thought I had everything fine, and now it seems that on my left TT that when i scratch the stylius goes left and right.

I had tried to adjust things a little, but anything i do doesnt seem to improve it.

will someone please help me trouble shoot, or give me ideas to try when i go home today
tommy tea 3:38 PM - 11 January, 2008
Stylius-wise, most companys give the spec and recomendations for the needles on their website. Find them and reset your weights/tonearm etc...and see if it still happens.
DJ-A 4:16 PM - 11 January, 2008
i think the weight is fine. i figured it may be the anti-skate, but it doesnt seem to change anything if i mess with it.

what confuses me more is that it was fine the last time i used it... maybe having a slight tilt on the floor was throwing it off?
Dirty Digits 6:02 PM - 11 January, 2008
Weight and Anit-Skate settings vary on the type of stylus/ cartridge in use.

What carts are you using man??
DJ-A 9:24 PM - 11 January, 2008
SHURE White Lables
SELECT 10:06 PM - 11 January, 2008
From what I can tell you dont know who the anti skate works. If your scratching I would suggest to never use the anti-skate.

To see the anti-skate work move the weight adjustment on the back of the tonearm all the way the back until the tonearm floats. Now use the anti skate. Notice how it pushes the tonearm back towards the start of the record. I guess back in the days people had problems with the needle skipping forward. When you scratch it move the stylus slightly back and forth with the movement of the record. With the antiskate your adding even more pressure to the side of then stylus. Thats why your stylus moves even more.
DJ-A 10:10 PM - 11 January, 2008
so with anti-skate at zero it wont have any pressure to move it side to side? i thought that with a tone arm with and curve in it that the design made it have pull toward the outside, so anti skate was to counter balance it so that it would not pull and it would just follow the grooves.

so to make so it stay straight and not go side to side i figured that anti-skate had to be adjusted
Hawk 11:56 PM - 11 January, 2008
I bought White Labels a couple years ago and replaced them with Shure M44-7's pretty quickly. The White Labels just aren't for scratching. Sorry!
tommy tea 1:01 AM - 12 January, 2008
Backing up the last guy, I've read the white labels are great needles, good responce, sencitive etc... just not suitable for scratching.
DJ-A 7:21 AM - 12 January, 2008
at least they look cool...

still though the stylius shouldnt be going left and right when i am scratching...
Mr_Marbles_ 10:49 PM - 17 January, 2008
is the sound skipping or is it just rockin back and forth in the groove? I think a little bit of wiggle is ok because it is in a groove. remember, as long as u stay in the groove of the record there shouldn't be a problem.
Logisticalstyles 12:46 AM - 18 January, 2008
Have you checked the screws that hold the tone arm in place? There's three of them and they do get loose every now and then.
DJ-A 7:57 AM - 18 January, 2008
I have not checked to see if they are loose, i move that system around a lot too, so thats a good idea.

Mr Marbles, I use relative mode, so no skipping, no gaps like it is leaving contact with the groove either.
djrocket 2:44 PM - 19 January, 2008
make sure the height is set to the proper level
bassµnkie 8:10 AM - 23 January, 2008
"Have you checked the screws that hold the tone arm in place? There's three of them and they do get loose every now and then."

This might fix my problem to (it's the same thing almost to the carts i'm using). How tight should they be, and are you talking about the three screws that look like this?
||
| |
\ /
•=====*====•
||
||
||
||
||||___
||||
+

The dots below the weight are where the screws are, and the * is where the third one is?
Can you guys read that diagram? th + is supposed to be the needle...yeah...
bassµnkie 8:14 AM - 23 January, 2008
piss!! it messed up and took the spaces out.

whatever

****|*|
***|***|
***\***/
?====?====?
****|*|
****|*|
****|*|
***|||||___
***|||||
*****_****
bassµnkie 8:15 AM - 23 January, 2008
Damnit i give up on the diagram thing.
the top is the weight
the bottom is the needle.
look at your table, youll figure it out.
fuck.
djbriguy 2:24 PM - 23 January, 2008
Quote:
at least they look cool...

still though the stylius shouldnt be going left and right when i am scratching...

moving side to side is normal. check sixxx's videos about the m447 23 degree angle...

mounted normaly, it will move side to side. this is normal.
imagehosting.2illegalaliens.com

mounted at 23 degree angle, it moved up and down.
imagehosting.2illegalaliens.com
DJ-A 3:08 PM - 23 January, 2008
^^^Briguy, that was a big help. i'll stop worrying that something is wrong. maybe from where i stand it is just easier to see if move on one TT than the other