DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cheapest DJ Insurance for 1 Day Only

RiceCube 6:44 AM - 7 May, 2012
Hey guys, I've read the posts here about the various DJ insurance plans but it sounds like they're all 1-year plans (I used to get my annual insurance plans via N.A.M.E. for $300/year). Are there any insurance plans for less than 1 year? I don't DJ much anymore but I am doing a wedding for a buddy of mine at the end of this month and it's the only gig I'm doing this year. I'm not charging him that much so it would suck to have to shell out $300 for insurance for 1 gig. Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives or if there are any DJ insurance coverages for just 1 day or anything less than 1 year? Or am I stuck with going with the annual insurance plan? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
RiceCube 5:26 PM - 10 May, 2012
Anyone?
MexiKanMan 8:35 PM - 10 May, 2012
Find a locally owned small insurance provider in your area and see what they offer for an "event-based" premium. I found them from about 175-300 (depending on the policy). The locally owned "should" be cheaper.
msmonica32 8:56 PM - 17 July, 2014
Any updates to the above question for cheap dj services?
DJ JT Stevens 9:18 PM - 17 July, 2014
I've used these guys before and have never had an issue. You can get a one day, million dollar policy for $100 dollars.

www.eventhelper.com

Your cost might be different depending on the state, amount of people, etc. but you can see the price before committing.
djcristyle 7:01 PM - 19 January, 2017
This is the site I always use for 1-day insurance. It's only $39 for 2mill worth of coverage

www.actinsurance.com
DjRD 7:56 PM - 23 January, 2017
Quote:
This is the site I always use for 1-day insurance. It's only $39 for 2mill worth of coverage

www.actinsurance.com

Do you have to call them to get insured as a DJ or do you do it online because online says you have to call. Reason I ask is because I called and they said they will only insure if I'm promoting my business not actually djing. Let me know thanks.
Logisticalstyles 6:53 PM - 24 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

www.actinsurance.com

Do you have to call them to get insured as a DJ or do you do it online because online says you have to call. Reason I ask is because I called and they said they will only insure if I'm promoting my business not actually djing. Let me know thanks.

I just tried to get some insurance online and got the message to call. I called and was told that they don't do DJ insurance any more. They referred me to a number where I just left a voice message and am now waiting for a call back.
Logisticalstyles 4:00 PM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
I've used these guys before and have never had an issue. You can get a one day, million dollar policy for $100 dollars.

www.eventhelper.com

Your cost might be different depending on the state, amount of people, etc. but you can see the price before committing.

Hopefully these guys will be better than actinsurance.com. They never called me back..
Rebelguy 4:22 PM - 31 January, 2017
I'm lazy to go back and read all the previous post but out of curiosity, why don't you just get insurance for the entire year? This will only cost you a couple hundred dollars. Realistically if you are dealing mobile's throughout the year you should have insurance anyway. If anything happens at any of your events with even a hint that it could be caused by you, you will get sued. It's better to be safe than sorry. Plus eventually you will run into more venues that require a certificate of insurance. It's pretty standard in my area.
Logisticalstyles 4:47 PM - 31 January, 2017
Yeah, I know I should get a year long policy. This is just the second time I've ever been asked for it in over 20 years.
DJ Ness Nice 7:45 PM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
Yeah, I know I should get a year long policy. This is just the second time I've ever been asked for it in over 20 years.

Exactly, I've only needed it like 4 times in the past 6yrs, and for the events I needed it I would charge the client an extra fee for me getting it to cover the cost. Ive always done more clubs than mobile events. But I agree it def. is good to have if you do alotta mobile gigs.
Logisticalstyles 8:00 PM - 31 January, 2017
I'll get the year long policy probably next month. I just needed to have insurance today in order to book a gig, which I did.

By the way, www.eventhelper.com was very useful and quick to get me insured.
Rosstepher 5:22 PM - 11 April, 2017
It looks like there is a new company offering the cheapest DJ Insurance I've found. It's $59 for up to 3 days of coverage and just $5 to add someone on your policy as an additional insured, like a venue or event organizer.

I was able to apply for and purchase the policy immediately and download and email the required insurance documents to the venue in minutes. They look legit.
www.insurancecanopy.com
Rich leon 10:58 PM - 19 June, 2017
In reply to Rosstepher. I am looking into canopy..how did they work? well? i have a gig in 2 1/2 weeks for a grand opening..
Rosstepher 11:12 PM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:
In reply to Rosstepher. I am looking into canopy..how did they work? well? i have a gig in 2 1/2 weeks for a grand opening..

Rich Leon,
It did what it had to do and you can't beat the price! I especially liked how quick it was with immediate download of the documents.
J-Duz 10:04 AM - 22 June, 2017

great find my friend!
Rich leon 5:43 PM - 25 June, 2017
thank you very much..but the gig was underbid to another person..irritates me..i didn't even bid that high but the guy underbid me by like 50-75..may not seem like much. but with gas and paying my mc guy....plus id like to make profit.
Brotha Onaci 4:13 PM - 5 August, 2017
Just got equipment coverage from www.musicproinsurance.com. The short term event insurance plans don't seem to cover equipment. This one covers equipment anywhere that it may be (including computers and software) for 1 year and is only $150. It pays for itself after one gig. Let's hope i never need to file any claims.
D.J. Esc.O.S. 3:36 AM - 28 January, 2018
I just wanted to point out to you guys, that most insurance companies will decline any claims, and coverage all together if you play anything but pop/country. If you read in the terms of the policy, if you play Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, Rave, Dance, Fast tempo remixes ect... that you are in violation of the policy. Make sure what ever service you use, that you speak with underwriting and clarify exactly what you are going to be doing. If not you may be liable for any damages that could arise. I do numerous events throughout the year, and never had needed a claim and that's what the insurance company expects, an easy dollar from us, and then to top it of if there is one they have easy outs, to redirect the financial burden. Also double check on your yearly insurance plans, as most policy's also note that if you move locations say from one bar to another, or from one wedding to another, that the policy is voided as well. Read the fine print and be safe out there!
Rebelguy 4:41 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
I just wanted to point out to you guys, that most insurance companies will decline any claims, and coverage all together if you play anything but pop/country. If you read in the terms of the policy, if you play Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, Rave, Dance, Fast tempo remixes ect... that you are in violation of the policy. Make sure what ever service you use, that you speak with underwriting and clarify exactly what you are going to be doing. If not you may be liable for any damages that could arise. I do numerous events throughout the year, and never had needed a claim and that's what the insurance company expects, an easy dollar from us, and then to top it of if there is one they have easy outs, to redirect the financial burden. Also double check on your yearly insurance plans, as most policy's also note that if you move locations say from one bar to another, or from one wedding to another, that the policy is voided as well. Read the fine print and be safe out there!

I use travelers. I’ve never had an issue with my claims or asked what music I play.
rambo_nyc 5:37 PM - 12 July, 2018
www.insurancecanopy.com

I used them and event helper

but canopy is cheaper

and they do ask about what Genre you play (idk why) But it didnt change anything on my policy and I asked if they cover pop hip hop with no problem and the agent said yes
17tr2 8:48 PM - 12 July, 2018
Quote:
www.insurancecanopy.com

I used them and event helper

but canopy is cheaper

and they do ask about what Genre you play (idk why) But it didnt change anything on my policy and I asked if they cover pop hip hop with no problem and the agent said yes

I can't stress this point highly enough. Never go by what an insurance agent tells you. If the coverage is not clearly stated in print, you're not getting it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, or just doesn't know. Read the policy before you buy it. Also be aware that even if you have a legit claim, its another matter getting a company to pay it. If you're playing a set, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tape it. A lot of DJ's do that anyway.
DjDio 5:57 PM - 17 July, 2018
Every insurance provider I find, including The Event Helper, only provide general liability insurance. How do you guys go about covering damage to rented / personal gear? I'm putting on a show with 3 full sets of Pioneer CDJ 2000 nexus and three large QSC sound systems. I own some of it, borrowing some from a friend, and renting some. So my Inland Marine policy only covers my personal gear.
How do I get the rest of the gear insured against damage?
Thanks!
17tr2 9:01 PM - 17 July, 2018
Quote:
Every insurance provider I find, including The Event Helper, only provide general liability insurance. How do you guys go about covering damage to rented / personal gear? I'm putting on a show with 3 full sets of Pioneer CDJ 2000 nexus and three large QSC sound systems. I own some of it, borrowing some from a friend, and renting some. So my Inland Marine policy only covers my personal gear.
How do I get the rest of the gear insured against damage?
Thanks!

Whoever you are renting the gear from should have their own insurance. Only 1 policy can pay in the event of a loss, so it probably wouldn't make sense to insure that. As for your friends gear, his HO policy would cover it under normal circumstances, but since he's lending it to you for business purposes, 99% it won't be covered. I would say your friends gear is yours and get an endorsement for it on your IM policy. You bought it from him. Make sure you list the actual equipment, take pics and provide serial numbers. Also, you really need to read an IM policy very carefully before you sign it. If its not in black and white, you will not recover it if there is a loss.
Rebelguy 9:47 PM - 17 July, 2018
I am insured through Travelers. I carry a 2 million dollar liability policy along with $50k in gear coverage. This coverage also covers gear I rent up to 10k.
dj nickyz 4:06 AM - 14 June, 2019
I just used this company. I think its cheaper than canopy

www.next-insurance.com
Rich Events 7:40 PM - 20 June, 2019
I Just used Verifly today Its the best, its fast Via the app, apple or android. and only $13.43
Per day.
BeezBeez 8:27 PM - 23 February, 2020
I use Athos Insurance. They have always been helpful, understand the industry and are very patient with my questions.
www.athosinsurance.com
DJ Jay Dubs 2:56 AM - 3 April, 2020
I use PEEP Insurance - www.peepinsurance.com $175/yr (like $14/mo). Why only get insurance for a day if you are doing this as a pro. You can get sued anytime.