DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Powerbooks in October???

cutrix 4:07 AM - 4 October, 2005
hey for all the APPLE INSIDERS on this forum... i know there is talk or heresay that apple is going to have one last update on their powerbooks until the mactels come out.

My question/concern is that I am going to or want to purchase a new 12" 1.5 ghz and i kinda need it very soon. But i dont get paid till friday, anyway, am i gonna be pissed if i buy one and then apple comes out with a faster one like a week later.

Basically, does anyone really know when the UPDATED powerbooks is gonna come in october, if at all??

And i really dont want to wait a year for the mactel powerbooks, so if anyone knows when, if at all, the new powerbooks will come out, let me know!

thanks
diego vega 6:10 AM - 4 October, 2005
In a www.macrumors.com forum thread I read some people were speculating that new updates "could" come around October 7 or 11 including iPod, Powerbooks and Powermacs. But in reality no one can really confirm... but in my personal opinion Apple should update their Powerbooks which have gone without updates for a long time!
feniks 2:01 PM - 4 October, 2005
still waiting for the G5 Powerbooks...
Rebelguy 2:50 PM - 4 October, 2005
I thought they couldnt do the G5 notebooks because of the heat issue???
feniks 9:52 PM - 4 October, 2005
Quote:

they've been saying that for years now. the rumor is that they are close to getting a G5 into a powerbook....but who knows how long this will take. i've been hearing rumors of the G5 powerbook for over 4 years now.
lancota 10:38 PM - 4 October, 2005
I'm lookin at buyin another Powerbook (switched back to PC and I friggen hate it....) Anywho, the way I see it, I'd rather have a genuim Powerbook till apple gets the intel mac's fully established (year or so).

I know, I know there's that Rosetta thing... and in therory it should run everything fine... but products like SSL and FS need a nice un-hindered machine to run on. The way I see it, the next update I'll get for my powerbook, the intel macs will be fully established.

I'd wait till at least after Oct. 13th before you run out and buy one tho... you never know what could happen.
cutrix 12:43 AM - 5 October, 2005
yeah, thats what im thikin. i have a gig tho the 11th, oh well...
diego vega 3:13 AM - 5 October, 2005
Yes I think it will be ideal to update to the latest revision of the PPC Powerbook (whenever it comes in the next months and whatever chip it uses, either a faster G4, dualcore G4, or even G5 if at all possible) and then a few years later when the Intel switch is established and revision B Intel Powerbooks are out then update to that.
cutrix 3:46 AM - 5 October, 2005
that was my plan exactly, i figure i can sell my old PB for some cash thatll help me out al ittle bit for when the swtich to intel comes through. but i need somethin a little faster than what im workin with right now in the powerbook field.
DJ Irv 4:19 PM - 5 October, 2005
Rumor Rumors Rumors. Apple is promising Mactels by June 2006, but I think the update will come sooner like Jan or Feb of 2006. I am sure that Serato already has a developer mactel and are or will be working on the port. From what I here a lot of people have already got Mac OS running on PC laptops. If you find an intel roadmap for 2k6 you will probably seed dual Pentium M chips coming in the first half. I bet Steve Jobs worked something out with Intel where they will ship or announce the first Dual 1.6Ghz Pentium M although the clock speend might higher.

speculated roadmap
www.engadget.com
building a Mactel
www.uneasysilence.com

disclaimer: Fry your computer and it sucks being you! DJIRV will not be held repsonsible for any damages that occur during or after the install process.
DJ 3pm 1:14 AM - 6 October, 2005
cutrix- spec out your machine online at the apple store and check to see how many days the estimated ship time is. this usually drops from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks or something when they are about to speedbump.

apple is cool about it though, they will usually ship you a newer machine if they announce something after you have ordered but before you are scheduled to recieve (like the mac minis that just got bumped upto 1.5ghz with 8x superdrive).
Butang 3:52 AM - 6 October, 2005
Quote:
cutrix- spec out your machine online at the apple store and check to see how many days the estimated ship time is. this usually drops from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks or something when they are about to speedbump.

apple is cool about it though, they will usually ship you a newer machine if they announce something after you have ordered but before you are scheduled to recieve (like the mac minis that just got bumped upto 1.5ghz with 8x superdrive).

Yeah *exception* of Mac mini. Apple did not gave people a choice of which one(newer / older) they'll get. I think kinda messed up thing to do. God only knows about PB deal for now... and all of us will find out next Tuesday @10:00 AM pacific time for the "Truth"...
Wes_Wes 7:14 AM - 6 October, 2005
The New Mac's will be announced on October 12. Say posted.
DJ Irv 1:40 PM - 6 October, 2005
October will announce little stuff like 100mhz speed bump and faster superdrives. They might even make super drives standard. But the Mactels i think are a few months off.
DJ 3pm 9:06 PM - 6 October, 2005
Quote:
But the Mactels i think are a few months off.

i guarantee there will be no mactells released this year.
SpinThis! 11:39 PM - 6 October, 2005
I guarantee that too. There will not be any products from Apple that have Intel CPUs in them this year. I guarantee there won't be any G5 PowerBooks either.

The PowerBook update is just a speedbump. If you can wait a month or so, it'd be worth your while if you're in the market. Most likely this will be the last or second to last G4 update to the laptop line before Apple comes out with the Intel chip based laptops.
cutrix 1:59 AM - 7 October, 2005
yup, the mactel switch wont happen mid next year, plus intel is being kinda shafty...apple is trying to up the release date, but intel isnt ready for the switch...so it might be later next year. we'll see. i heard that the announcements will happen the 12, next wed for the new ipods, powerbook updates, and powermac updates.

i guess i can wait till then......
skutch 7:52 AM - 7 October, 2005
you dont want a first gen mactel anyway. wait till they work the kinks out.
DJ Irv 2:10 PM - 7 October, 2005
intel has been ready for the switch. Intel only needs to provide the chips and intel has plenty of chips to provide apple. Intel will not talk about the Mactels because Apple is really crazy about that NDA thing. Apple is busy working out the bugs in MacOS X86. They are stating the PB not being ready until June, but I bet they will crank them out in Jan or Feburary.
eru 1:59 AM - 8 October, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

they've been saying that for years now. the rumor is that they are close to getting a G5 into a powerbook....but who knows how long this will take. i've been hearing rumors of the G5 powerbook for over 4 years now.

they have been saying it because it's true.

that's why they're switching to intel. a G5 powerbook is a pipe dream...
Idlemind1999 4:30 AM - 9 October, 2005
Quote:

I'm breaking my neck looking for the picture I found. It was a picture of a "theoretical" powerbook G5. I think some guys got together and figured out in their estimation what it would have to look like to deal with the heat issue with (then) current technology. It was about 4 inches thick. It wasnt a real picture so much as a joke with some scientific basis... If I find it I'll post it.
Butang 3:26 AM - 10 October, 2005
Quote:
I'm breaking my neck looking for the picture I found. It was a picture of a "theoretical" powerbook G5. I think some guys got together and figured out in their estimation what it would have to look like to deal with the heat issue with (then) current technology. It was about 4 inches thick. It wasnt a real picture so much as a joke with some scientific basis... If I find it I'll post it.

Yeah I've seen that one too!
DJ Irv 2:21 PM - 10 October, 2005
actually IBM was able to produce a low power G5 a few months back that might fit in a powerbook, but Apple is not going to waste their time with it.
BriChi 7:35 PM - 20 October, 2005
There out, the new powerbooks!!
DJ Dynamight 8:35 PM - 20 October, 2005
nice, on the wishlist...
feniks 5:20 AM - 21 October, 2005
not much of an update....simply better screen resolution and slightly better battery time. no processor speed bump whatsoever.
JohnDP1 9:11 AM - 21 October, 2005
funnily enought there will NEVER be a G5 Powerbook as the switch to Intel will oblige Apple to use new names and since the G5 is already taken they will either call theMacintel processor G6 or with a completely different name.

So as far as i know, there will really never be a true G5 Powerbook...
SpinThis! 10:21 PM - 22 October, 2005
feniks: they added digital sound in/out to the 15" model and a couple other video-related improvements as well, but like you said: not much of an upgrade. I think a lot of us were expecting 1.8 or 2 ghz machines.
Thebasementwonder 1:16 PM - 25 October, 2005
Guys it would be sensless for APPLE to bring a brand new machine now when they invested millions into the intel brand cpu. Stop hoping for a new PB and wait till the new ones come out in late in the year. Me i dont want a new machine now. The new PB's are not even new just added features which I personally wont waste my hard earned money on. Save and wait till the new year
Rebelguy 5:17 PM - 25 October, 2005
Or just buy a PC laptop right now.
SpinThis! 11:19 PM - 25 October, 2005
If you get paid to work on your laptop and you actually require one now, waiting doesn't do anyone any good-- it's a moot point.
DJ Irv 12:28 AM - 26 October, 2005
I think what most people are trying to say is that they are not impressed by the new PB's.