DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NYE Report

Logisticalstyles 5:13 AM - 1 January, 2008
So, everything is going well, until someone gets killed at my spot and noe I've been shut down. Fuck ATlanta!!!!!!
Logisticalstyles 5:14 AM - 1 January, 2008
NOW, I've been shut down.
Logisticalstyles 5:46 AM - 1 January, 2008
wait... He made it to the hospital alive. I might get to play the night out.
DJ'Que 6:00 AM - 1 January, 2008
w.o.w that stupid
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:12 AM - 1 January, 2008
I had a fight at my spot too tonight. Broke out at about 1:30am and we were out at 2am instead of 4am.
minc2_2000 11:13 AM - 1 January, 2008
i was doen a small sweet 16 and someone pulled at knife on the very last song. pshhh.
Dudley D 2:09 PM - 1 January, 2008
these grade schoolers know how to crank it.'

I played it 90 times tonight.

08! yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou!

in all honesty i have played it 4 times.

2 for $!

happy new year to yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou!

(ona side not i wonder if anyone played that @ the new year....

was is yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou?)
DJ GaFFle 2:22 PM - 1 January, 2008
Quote:
So, everything is going well, until someone gets killed at my spot and noe I've been shut down. Fuck ATlanta!!!!!!

What spot were you playing at?
DJ Rugged One 7:04 PM - 1 January, 2008
For me, the end of the night, not getting a ride back from my homie (Asshole !!!!), two of my homies never came so I can ride back(one had a reason and the other.....hhhmmm !!!!), paid $40 for a cab to go home with my tables and mixer etc. To top it all off, some jerk stole my winter coat !!! The end of the night was not good for me. Now I have a another reason to hate Massachusetts.
DJ'Que 7:17 PM - 1 January, 2008
Quote:
For me, the end of the night, not getting a ride back from my homie (Asshole !!!!), two of my homies never came so I can ride back(one had a reason and the other.....hhhmmm !!!!), paid $40 for a cab to go home with my tables and mixer etc. To top it all off, some jerk stole my winter coat !!! The end of the night was not good for me. Now I have a another reason to hate Massachusetts.
now thats deep.
DJDFECT 9:38 PM - 1 January, 2008
I had a bar brawl then a fire alarm. It was fun moving 250 pound speaker boxes when I was done.
Mr. $weetlife 9:47 PM - 1 January, 2008
The club I work at was hemming and hawwing on my rate. I guess they didn't understand that New Years is a huge night for working DJ's and rates inevitably go up. Some friends of mine from the club dropped my name to a guy that was throwing a huge party and we made a deal. Not even two hours later the club calls back and tells me they'll pay the rate and I got the rare satisfaction to tell my weekly that they waited too long and I got hired out from under them! On top of that clubs out here like to retaliate against DJ's and fire them for stuff like that but I still got my gig!

The party was INSANE! Just a F*&ing great night! Definetly great exposure and no homocides (haha)

Things always work out in the end my friend. Atlanta must be a whole other type of scene though!
DJ Rugged One 11:50 PM - 1 January, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
now thats deep.

yes it is and still feeling down..
frost-9 12:23 AM - 2 January, 2008
started at 9pm.. tried to hold back most of the heaters till after midnight.. got drunk. dj'd till 7am. went home. got laid. the end.
djransom 12:57 AM - 2 January, 2008
My joint ended @ 12:15. Cats didn't know how to act bangin and fightin @ the party. The club scene here in Chi leaves alot to be desired seriously. This party was @ Dave & Busters so it wasn't even a club.
deejayskor 2:20 AM - 2 January, 2008
yo ransom I though u was djin at prop house, for som reason. I saw abanner wit ya name on it the other day when I went to sell Carry some laptop stands
Logisticalstyles 2:35 AM - 2 January, 2008
I was at Underground Atlanta in a bar called Banana Wind. It used to be Fat Tuedays. Two idiots get to fighting in the bathroom and one guy gets a champange bottle craked over his head. For about and hour we were a homocide scene. They finally get word that dude stabalized and they let us re-open for the last 2.5 hours. I was expeting to make 3 grand I only left with 1300. At least I made my rent and bills money.
DJ Lil Vito 2:39 AM - 2 January, 2008
Crazy, fun night for me.

I spin at a club on the campus of Penn State and even though school's out we still had 800+. We did a two hour live-to-air radio mixshow, and I had the floor bumping from 10:30 on... I got a little tipsy around 1 AM and did a lot of dropping of tracks, but the crowd ate it up.

Happy new year guys!
Hawk 3:02 AM - 2 January, 2008
I did a private party in a huge apartment. I set up early in the day and when I came back around 10 pm to start my set, the iPod (a 30 gb video model) I had left for the host to play in case there were people there before I arrived had disappeared. Just Lovely.
DJ Lil Vito 3:08 AM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:
I did a private party in a huge apartment. I set up early in the day and when I came back around 10 pm to start my set, the iPod (a 30 gb video model) I had left for the host to play in case there were people there before I arrived had disappeared. Just Lovely.

All of my private mobile events come along with a contract that makes the client responsible for theft/damage to gear.
sixxx 3:09 AM - 2 January, 2008
Mine was cool. The mix I did for midnight worked out perfectly. (Celebration by Kool and The Gang --> Holiday by Madonna ---> 1999 by Prince---> Newer Shit) It worked out perfectly. This is the first year I pre-record something for midnight since I wanted to dance with my girl.

Then, the power went out at the club at 1:08 am. hahahaha. Crazy weather in Bakersfield last night. Windy!!!!! Bunch of power went out in the city. It was cool cause my girl and I got to go home and relax. :)
DjWoody 3:22 AM - 2 January, 2008
-----------------
PICTURES
-----------------

FOOD
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com

CROWD SHOTS
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com

BACKSTAGE
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com
www.djwoody.com

ENTIRE GALLERY
www.djwoody.com

-----------------
VIDEOS
-----------------

----- YOUTUBE (Crappy Quality) -----
The Countdown Only
- DJ Luis from Super Estrella played the Discotech Countdown but he also added the video to it. Than Enrie took over.
Watchwww.youtube.com

----- HI-QUALITY -----
All the videos including the Countdown.
www.djwoody.com

I played at the Hollywood Palladium for the Super Estrella 107.1 FM & 102.7 KIIS FM's NYE Party aka HOLLYWOOD ON SUNSET & LA DESVELADA SUPER ESTRELLA. I was scared we weren't going to be packed because of so much competition in Hollywood, plus let's face it, our DJ's were not A-Class DJ's. In the main room we had Enrie (Movin 93.9 & Power 106), DJ Drew (102.7 KIIS FM), DJ Luis (Super Estrella), DJ Morales, and off course ME! That's a pretty small lineup for a 4000 capacity venue. Yet, we still pulled it off and thousands of people showed up. I think the best set of the night goes to DJ Enrie. He rocked it!!!!

I snuck in a bottle of Absolut (Grey Goose didn't fit in my back pack), A Bottle of Hypnotiq, and 2 Cranberry Juices! hahaha. People thought I was drinking Cranberry juice all night!!! hahaha Yeah Right! lol... I really liked the fact that the promoters took care of us. They fed us!!!! In our dressing room back stage they gave us Baja Fresh burritos, rice, beans, chips, and salsa. Than on the second floor they had a mini buffet set up for us. It was all you can eat WOLFGANG PUCK short ribs, mashed potatoes, salad, and veggies. SO YUMMY!!!!

Right before the venue opened, Super Estrella interviewed me live on the air!!! That made me feel like a star! hehe They were like "SUPER ESTRELLA LIVE, WITH US WE HAVE THE OPENING DJ OR SHALL WE SAY ARTIST FOR THE NIGHT, DJ WOODY." Than they started asking me questions! Hehehe that felt good. This was my first big scale event, as you can tell I was a bit too excited!!!

The production was TOP Notch! We had a JBL Vertec Concert Sound System, Intelligent lights, Bright LED Strobes, 2 DJ Setups - one with Turntables & Serato, and one with DVJ's & Serato. We also had confetti cannons, aerialist dancers, and much more!

The vibe was excellent, and honestly, it turned out way better than I expected. None of us knew our timeslots until literally 10 minutes before doors opened. I opened the night. I thought I was going to play to an empty dance floor, but I didn't. That place filled up quick!! Since Super Estrella - Spanish version of KIIS FM - was throwing the party, I thought it was going to be mainly Spanish rock & Spanish pop!!! I was wrong! There was very little Spanish music. I played for almost two hours, I warmed up the crowd with some house, and some house remixes of Justin Timberlake & Beyonce. Than I went into Mashups & Breaks, than the last part of my set was mostly my remixes, edits, and reworks. People were eating my work like it was free food. Hahaha Since this was NYE, and it was more of a concert than a club, every DJ played nothing but big hits from beginning to end. Everyone had to shine.
DjWoody 3:23 AM - 2 January, 2008
Ooops.. I forgot to include my Tracklisting.

---- TRACKLISTING ----

1.- Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
2.- Justice - We Are Your Friends
3.- Dave Spoon - At Night
4.- Yilmaz Altanhan - Eighties
5.- Justin Timberlake - Lovestoned (Tiesto Remix)
6.- Beyonce - Beautiful Live (Freemasons Remix)
7.- Miguel Bose, Paulina Rubio - Nena (Remix)
8.- Gloria Trevi - Todos Me Miran (Remix)
9.- Luis Miguel - Ahora Te Puedes Marchar (Electro Remix)
10.- Sean Kingston - Beautiful Sugar (Mashup)
11.- 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake - Ayo Technology (Rock-It Scientists Electro Remix)
12.- John Farrugio - Back To The Old School (Pt 1)
13.- DJ Kevin Scott - Soulja Boy Cranks The Cream
14.- The Freaks - The Creeps Klutch (The Creeps vs 7 Nation Army)
15.- David Guetta - Love Is Gone (DJ Woody Rework)
16.- Starkillers - Diskoteka (DJ Woody Rework)
17.- Green Velvet - Shake N Pop (DJ Woody Rework)
18.- Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (DJ Woody Rework - Dirty South Remix)
19.- John Farruggio - Party Like It's Hot
20.- Discotech - Flashing Lights Break
21.- J-Kwon Vs. Notorious B.I.G. - Tipsy
22.- Discotech - People Everyday (Break)
23.- Chaka Demus And Pliers - Murder She Wrote
24.- Keyshia Cole, Missy vs. Notorious B.I.G. - Let It Go Juicy (Dirty Rock-It Scientists Edit)
25.- Khia, Mickey Avalon, Fatman Scoop, Timbaland - My Dick, My Neck, My Back (Rock-It Scientists Dirty Edit)
26.- N2Deep vs Nelly Furtado vs Fatman Scoop - Turn Off The Hotel Lights
27.- Montel Jordan - This Is How We Do It
28.- Felli Fell - Buck In Here (DJ Woody Rework)
29.- Eve - Tambourine
30.- Daddy Yankee, Fergie - Impacto (DJ Enrie Clean Intro)
31.- Angel & Khriz - Ven Bailalo (DJ Caos Remix)
32.- Fatman Scoop - Party Anthem
33.- Crooklyn Clan - Be Faithful
34.- DJ Woody - It's Woody Bitches!!!
35.- Casa de Leones - No Te Veo (DJ Woody Rework)
36.- Match & Daddy - Pasame La Botella (Remix)
freshtodeath 3:49 AM - 2 January, 2008
Sucess here. Sixxx I l also premade my midnight set so I could dance with my girl (on mixmeister).

Good shit Woody.. Keep doin it big!
djlenza 4:51 PM - 2 January, 2008
looks like everyones night was interesting, mine sucked! im the resident dj at my club, spinning 3 nights a week. but for NYE, they had 3 djs spin. 1 in the main room, 1 downstairs in the bar area, and 1 outside on our patio (tented and heated)

we open at 7pm, they put me downstairs so i was stuck playing disco, 80s and 90s dance stuff from 7pm-2am, got no time in the main room, had to listen to all the regulars and my friends bitch and moan "when are u going upstairs, why is some other dj up there blah blah" they guy didnt even do a countdown....they patio dj who just spins reggae didnt show up til 10 and had some other dj spin all night, but he did make a postive comment that if there is ever another big event at the club and the dj with the most seniority (ME), doesnt get the main room he wont dj the event

all and all the whole night was a downer, exept the part where i had more people in the bar area for most of the night and the bottle of moet i took from the bar for my own champagne toast!
djransom 5:03 PM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:
yo ransom I though u was djin at prop house, for som reason. I saw abanner wit ya name on it the other day when I went to sell Carry some laptop stands

They did that banner before they even got a confirm on whether or not I was doing the event. I was tryna get there to make that money that nite after my joint ended abruptly, but they were good on the DJ though. So you're the reason Carry now has the laptop stand in the back room. Good biz. I had the chance to use it Friday nite and man was it convenient. I haven't used a laptop since I broke my iCurve early last year.
DJ Silk 5:19 PM - 2 January, 2008
I played at Shampoo in the 21 and up Lounge. I played old school hip hop all night. It was uneventfull until........MY FREAKIN SERATO STARTED ACTING UP ON ME!!!!!!!
And since Serato has worked flawlessly for me for the past 3 years I had no back up vinyl, and I had left my ipod in the car.
For about 10 minutes I had the spinning wheel of death....but the tracks that were loaded played.
Fortunately my room was pretty empty (other then the girl, and her friends that came to see me), and I had some hot breakbeats playing.
I'm not sure what happened...but it didn't bother me too much at the time, and especially now after reading the other stories.

Happy 2008 guys!
JayDJ130 5:59 PM - 2 January, 2008
Happy 2008 Serato Fam! Here's a link to some video and pics of my night. It was a great!!

djjdmusic.blogspot.com
JayDJ130 7:02 PM - 2 January, 2008
here's another video I found on youtube from my event. That's the countdown I made playing. Worked perfectly!! The Final Countdown Baby!!! The 2008 was behind me on the stage. Of course I had to cue up my countdown and get off the stage QUICK before that went off.

Watchyoutube.com
The Little Trooper 8:16 PM - 2 January, 2008
Pictures from my event: sideshowbob.darkravers.net

I am in the first 3 on the third page.

Happy New Year to everyone!
frost-9 8:22 PM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:
Pictures from my event: sideshowbob.darkravers.net

I am in the first 3 on the third page.

Happy New Year to everyone!

wow... a real body builder chick. yikes.
The Little Trooper 11:30 PM - 2 January, 2008
that's a dude standing behind her.
jayfunk 1:50 AM - 3 January, 2008
i did 2 (thats right 2!!) NYE at Navy Pier. one was for Kiss Fm 103.5 here in chicago and the other a private event at the childrens museum in Navy Pier. MURDERED both and had a great time.

Till 2a and my woman doesnt want to talk to me or be with me at all. she even went to her mom's to say the night cuz she was sick of me being the "DJ" all the time. what happened was that i was kinda sort of a dick to her cuz i was working. i was in my "DJ" mode trying to think of songs ahead/trying to hype the crowd up and was paying no attention to her. she was sick of me picking work over her. cant blame her though, i deserved it. worked every NYE for the past 13yr...
DJ-A 4:41 PM - 3 January, 2008
^^^ I totally hear ya... i told my wife not to come because i wasn't there to entertain her... she came anyway, I was a little rude and told her to stay out of my way... but I know where you're coming from... sounds like my wife was cooler about it though.
DJ-A 4:51 PM - 3 January, 2008
Oh, and I dont know how long you and your lady have been together, but my wife knows not to mention anything that annoys her about me being a DJ... I've done it for a l-o-n-g time, and the way i see it is that it's nothing new, and i was DJ'n long before she came around. if she didnt want a relationship with a DJ, she should have never started a relationship with one
DJ_Motion 6:01 PM - 3 January, 2008
^^^^ I was with a gf for 2 years and she gave me the ultimatium. Dj or her on new years eve. I applaude you guys who are married and/or have a gf while dhing.... That is rough to handle....

I've been djing since 1999. SO for her to say that was not cool.
Dj Ruckspin 6:32 PM - 3 January, 2008
I was down here in Miami, It was crazy, celebs everywhere
DJ Young Herrera 6:43 PM - 3 January, 2008
A few pics from my NYE gig...

www.picturethisdetroit.smugmug.com
DJDFECT 9:06 PM - 3 January, 2008
jaydj, looks like a good night. i'll have to make the trip down there sometime. a few of my friends have spun there but i've never been.
jayfunk 9:16 PM - 3 January, 2008
DJ-A and Motion.......just a little background with me and the girl. we have been together for over 13yrs since high school. we met when we were 17 and im going to be 31 this year. she has supported me with whatever i do, she did ask me if i was tired of DJing in our 3rd year and i told her the same thing you told her. ive been DJing since 1990 as well, was even introduced to DJing in 1984 (my mother dated a guy who was a DJ and even put me in the DJ booth at the club/bar my mom sang at when she couldnt get a baby sitter). she just doesnt know how to handle it when my focus is work and not her, cuz when im not DJing, its her or my car (ahahhahahah) im going to get the "AHEM" this year but we'll see if i pop the question. im DJing all these places to make money for the damm wedding! that shit aint cheap!
dj_soo 9:22 PM - 3 January, 2008
i think you guys should show up to your lady-friend's jobs, hang out all day, and then get mad when they don't pay attention to you cause they're working.
DJ-A 9:29 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
i think you guys should show up to your lady-friend's jobs, hang out all day, and then get mad when they don't pay attention to you cause they're working.

that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!

isnt it the truth though
DJ Young Herrera 9:41 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:

Word!

+ five million gary busey's
jayfunk 9:43 PM - 3 January, 2008
hahahahhahh, thats the truth. see how they like it. take that take that!!!
djmarvel 9:54 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:

thats exactly what i told my girl frien, when we first started and what i tell my friends except, its how would you like it if i acted a damn fool in your cubicle
JayDJ130 10:11 PM - 3 January, 2008
Dj Dfect - I wasn't actually in the club on New Years. That was in the mall area. I used to DJ at the club, but don't anymore. Shoot me a PM when you're coming down though. I still go to the club all the time, so I could meet you there and of course talk serato talk. lol
djlenza 11:05 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:

i'd love to do that to my wife....but first she needs to get a job
DjRekTek 10:46 AM - 4 January, 2008
Had a good night overall...4 shots 151, 3 shots meister, 2 double shots jose', and 4 rum and cokes. Euqaled a great night on the tables and a great night iwth the crowd! until around 2 am. Then I felt like shit! Praying to the man and such.....thank god my better half was there to tear down all my equipment and even load it up with the help of her friends!
DjRekTek 10:47 AM - 4 January, 2008
Euqaled...O.K. so I still must be feeling it!
DJKelly 8:06 AM - 11 January, 2008
I DJ'd my resident club (LaCage in Milwaukee); and also premixed the midnite thing.. Also Sprach...(2001...) with the DJ Tools countdown, at 1 second the alarm clock/chimes from Pink Floyd and then HAPPY NEW YEAR.. cheesy (hey, this
IS Wisconsin...) but it worked. Attendance could have been better but still
was a great time. We have 3 DJ's, one opened @ 9, I was 11P-3AM, and the other
guy was 3-7AM. We also had confetti balloons (30# in each of 4.. !!!) and
balloon drop. Lots of positive feedback.
DJ-A 3:20 PM - 11 January, 2008
Here's a laugh from a few years ago... there was a balloon drop, and they put a few water-balloons up too, so everyone looked up and tried to catch balloons, so it was a direct hit for the people who tried to catch the water-balloons