DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Equipment in Garage Yes or No

DJ eXeS 2:47 AM - 27 April, 2012
I just rented a garage in my apartment complex. I got 2 1200's, 1 TTM 57, B-52 Sound System, and an additonal 12" self powered beringer speaker....

I want to store all my equipment in the garage...i go lots of mobile gigs and have to move my stuff at least twice a week. I live at the bottom floor of my apartment complex and it is a pain in the a$% to move that stuff a total of 4-6 times a week up & down those stairs etc...

I did not get the garage to store my stuff.. i got it for one of our cars. yet there is room now also for my equipment.

My question is if it will be safe there..by that I am talkin about the temperature during the day/night in the summer/winter. I am concerned about humidity since I live in the midest so it does get humid and hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter...
the garage is not isolated or heated/ac. it's a simple structured garage built out of wood.

Input would be appreciated guys. thanks alot

eXeS
sixxx 2:49 AM - 27 April, 2012
Do you have an alarm?

Where do you live?

thanks
DJ eXeS 2:58 AM - 27 April, 2012
no alarm...I know I should be concerned about it getting stolen but the neighborhood is pretty nice and i trust it.

u might say "don't trust any one"

but before i worry about that I would like know if it is a smart/okay thing to store the stuff due to the weather/climate.

I live in KC
DJ Dac 3:07 AM - 27 April, 2012
make sure you keep everything up off the ground, at least have it sitting on 2x4s or something and make sure its all insured and you should be good to go. i would be super anal about not moving anything when someone is around though
ekwipt 9:06 AM - 27 April, 2012
Don't trust nothing.

Get an alarm and big Rottweiler
DJ eXeS 3:14 PM - 27 April, 2012
lol...my first concern is the temperature tho. if it will damage by equipment over time in the summer or winter/ all year around
ZESH! 4:28 PM - 27 April, 2012
Your equipment will handle the heat. Just remember to take the vinyl with you...those will definitely warp.
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:41 PM - 27 April, 2012
I think you should be fine. I keep all of my stuff in my garage in my house, but granted it's a pretty finished garage. I actually tapped into my HVAC so I get some heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

But like someone else said make sure everything (at least your audio gear) is up off the floor. I have all my speakers on dollys which not only keeps them off the floor but also makes it easy to move around. My speaker poles, tables, etc... stays on teh floor, but anything electrical/mechanical is elevated at least a few inches.

Also, if it's the dead of winter and its cold, just give your gear time to warm up before you push it.
DJ'Que 5:02 PM - 27 April, 2012
I keep all my stuff in my garage and its safe. no alarm cos its under my bedroom and the window is always open.

I also have my burner under the bed or on top of my cdj case if needed.

but i'm good with 2 cars in the driveway.

also got a inside lock to.
ced_so_thoed 5:13 PM - 27 April, 2012
Quote:
I keep all my stuff in my garage and its safe. no alarm cos its under my bedroom and the window is always open.

I also have my burner under the bed or on top of my cdj case if needed.

but i'm good with 2 cars in the driveway.

also got a inside lock to.

ay
*sarcastic voice from carrying guns to gig thread* Why do you need a gun under the bed?
yep
DJ eXeS 6:25 PM - 27 April, 2012
so you guys are saying that leaving the TT's and mixer in their seperate flight cases is not enough?

what's the best and cheapest way to elvate them? 2x4? I have big plastic tubs in the garage where i could put them all on. good idead? then the b-52 sub is on wheels anyways will that do it?
str8nger 7:01 PM - 27 April, 2012
U should be fine man
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:57 PM - 27 April, 2012
its just to get them off the ground a little in case there is some water leaking in or something. just buy a dolly or 2, or just some 2x4 and stack them on top. you will be fine.
sixxx 8:20 PM - 27 April, 2012
You can leave vinyl in hot places AS LONG AS THEY'RE NICE AND TIGHT IN THE CRATE. They won't warp that way. nm
DJ Dac 9:10 PM - 27 April, 2012
Quote:
You can leave vinyl in hot places AS LONG AS THEY'RE NICE AND TIGHT IN THE CRATE. They won't warp that way. nm

hes right on this, my buddy gave me a box full of his brothers old vinyl that has been sitting out in a garage in phoenix for 25 years, not one record was warped...

I also leave my B52 sub in my garage, if i know I'm not going to use it for a couple months i will get painters tape and tape up the fan holes that are facing down, we have crickets all over the damn place and i figure any little bit to help protect it is a good idea. i put hooks in the ceiling so all my trusses/ lights hang up out of the way.
L2daGee 9:50 PM - 27 April, 2012
Quote:

Not entirely true, if the vinyl is packed too tight, the vinyl will melt in a smashed kind of way.
AdriaticBlue 3:32 AM - 28 April, 2012
Although you didn't ask, I must suggest getting a renter's (or other applicable) insurance policy that covers whatever is stored/placed in the garage. Make sure the amount you get covers replacement costs at a deductible you can handle. I just makes sense.

No matter high up your equip is off the floor, what happens if lightening strikes, if it's stolen or a small animal sneaks in to get away from the winter cold and gnaws on wires? You get the point. :-)

HTH.
sixxx 4:40 PM - 28 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Not entirely true, if the vinyl is packed too tight, the vinyl will melt in a smashed kind of way.

I did not say too tight like a virgin's pussy.
DJ eXeS 11:16 PM - 28 April, 2012
ok thanks guys. sounds like i could leave it in the garage then if i take care of a couple of things.
DJ GaFFle 8:06 AM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
ok thanks guys. sounds like i could leave it in the garage then if i take care of a couple of things.

Get some movers tarp or light sheets to cover things up perhaps. Someone could see you open that garage one day simply pulling your car out; you don't want them to notice your shiny DJ gear too.
DJ eXeS 3:30 PM - 30 April, 2012
word.
DJ SL1 3:38 PM - 25 July, 2016
My boy left his stuff in the garage and when we pulled it out it was messed up and looked all rusty (we live in Florida) ever since that day I've been sacrificing space in my house. I have a 30x30 garage with plenty of space and I'm still scared to put it in there. My friends was just a single car garage don't know if that will make things hotter or more humid or not.
Rebelguy 7:52 PM - 25 July, 2016
Why not buy a dehumidifier and leave it running in the garage?
DJ SL1 12:00 AM - 26 July, 2016
Not gonna be dumping buckets of water all day. And paying extra electric. And buying one just for that. And it may not even work well for that big an area not to mention that it's not sealed as well as a house.
Braswyn 6:47 PM - 14 March, 2019
Hi I suggest to watch good quality dehumidifiers gadgets-reviews.com
DTweed 11:49 AM - 16 March, 2019
Quote:
word.

I’d leave the speakers in the garage and then take the turntables and stuff up and down the stairs. I’d be more concern about that than the speakers which r easier to replace if anything happens