DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato controllers???

Rebelguy 5:32 AM - 27 September, 2005
I know a lot of people use Serato in conjunction with vinyl but I am wondering what else people are using. It would seem to that players like the Denon higher end model (DN-S5000) and the Technics player would be pretty much useless as most of the extra bells and whistles aren't used. I am not playing favors to Pioneer either. The CDJ-1000 is an overpriced player for what it does. What would be the most economical but solid approach? CDJ-800, DN-S3500 (again a lot of features would go unused). Maybe Rane should consider coming out with their own controller.
skinnyguy 11:20 AM - 27 September, 2005
for cd? i would go with the dn-s3500....or the s1000 if you wanna go cheaper.
DJ MDX 4:14 PM - 27 September, 2005
Just a little correction everything works on the Denon DN-S5000 except 2 features...key correction (MT) that does not work on any other OEM either w/SSL...so the 2 are Tail Echo and Alpha Track.

It is hard to say between the CDJ-800 and the DN-S3500 because no one has really put the DN-S3500 thru it's proper tests (other than Denon Reps)

If the DN-S3500 is all it is supposed to be...then I will buy a pair but not b4 I fully test them myself. If not I will stick with my DN-S5000's. I tried the CDJ-800's but I stuck with the DN-S5000's instead.

On a side note you can probably get DN-S3000's at close out prices now if you act fast enough and you can probably get a DN-S5000 very cheap from guys jumping the gun early and selling them to get the DN-S3500's

Good luck.
Rebelguy 5:24 PM - 27 September, 2005
In regard to the DN-S5000 and the DN-S3500 also, do the samplers, loops and hot cues work in conjunction with serato. What about the effects on the DN-S3500? I know that all these functions would work if you stiil integrated Music CDs along with your Serato library, but if you wanted a total Serato experience would they function?
nobspangle 6:18 PM - 27 September, 2005
Sampler doesn't work (not in the conventional sense anyway) loops and hot cues work fine.
Not sure what effects the 3500 has, it's pretty easy to work out what will work and what won't.
Effects that just involve changing the speed (with the pitch) of the CD or the position on the CD, or the direction of play will work fine.
Effects that change the speed without changing the pitch, or the pitch without changing the speed, or effects that mix the sound with other sounds (like echo delays) will not work.
DJ MDX 3:31 AM - 28 September, 2005
Here is a FAQ I put together.

www.prodjforums.com