DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Am I getting played?

Logisticalstyles 3:20 PM - 23 December, 2007
I'm in a situation at my bar and I thought I'd get the opinion of some other DJs.
This is kinda long winded so read at your own risk.

I started spining at this bar where my wife worked at to help her draw a crowd. She was the bartender and there wasn't much entertainment besides the TV or satellite radio. There were a couple of other clubs in the immediate area, but they were all kinda struggling as well. At first I was coming in for free because it was my wifes gig, and having a DJ made a huge difference in the bar's revenue and my wife's tips. I mean a huge difference. After 2 months of free services (Friday and Saturday) they still didn't want to pay me. The manager pulled some shady business on me one night and both me and my wife quit messing with them. Needless to say they missed the good money, and we worked out a deal to get me back in there. My wife now works the door for me and we split the money 50/50 with the bar. They give me a $100 gaurantee for coming out plus the 50/50 split. That's the verbal agreement we have. During the winter this sucks big time, but during the spring, summer, and fall it's great. On average I was making $1100 on Saturdays, and maybe $500 on Fridays. This went on for several months, so in September I left my day job (on good terms) and have been strictly a DJ since then. During this time I installed my lights and my big sound system in the bar. I have my bass bins, an amp rack, and tons of cable in that place. I purchaesd and did a lot of things that the owners wouldn't do to make everybody a lot of money.

Now here's the messed up part. At this years staff christmas party the manager comes in and tells us that the bar is being sold and the sale takes place Jan 1. The new owners will take over the club and everything in it. So now I know , in the back of my mind, that I have to have all of my stuff out at the end of New Years Eve just to avoid any confusion about who owns what. Not a problem. I already began removing some of my lights. The word from the current managers is "Nothing will change. Everybody keeps thier jobs." Yeah Right. I've been in enough clubs to know that a new owner will make some changes. I have a feeling they are not going to like spliting the door with "the DJ". I put that in quotes because I am so much more than "the DJ". I had flyers made up for my night,I have banners outside the club, I installed and maintain the sound system, my wife works the door and collects the money, I created a theme night for Fridays and I keep it jumping on Saturdays. I'm not just a DJ, I'm a promoter/sound man/DJ. I feel I actually deserve a bigger cut of the door. Maybe 80%.

Well, last night one of the managers comes up to me and says that there is going to be another meeting with the new owners this Thursday, and I should come to be a part of it. He says " They might make some changes to your agreement, like instead of a $100 gaurantee make it 250, but only %30 of the door." I don't know what to think about that. He may be just talking out of his ass because he doesn't know what his job will look like a month from now either. Or he could be giving me a heads up on the situation. I know it would make the winter more profitable for me, but that would kill my Spring/Summer/Fall money. I'm not stressing it too hard, because my old job has already offered to bring me back on Jan 22. and New Year's Eve should be a good night. I just don't like the way they are leaving me out of the loop until the last minute. I mean this is my money, and I am the entertainment for the night. It's like Plies says I AM THE CLUB. Am I being greedy and unreasonable? Or was I just getting over big time and my gravey train has finally come to and end?..... Or, Am I Getting Played?
j cue 4:16 PM - 23 December, 2007
try for a limited contract over the winter period, to be reviewed by all parties before the spring and summer. you should be able to put a clause in there for that. if they dont offer a contract,, stay away!
Dj Ready Red 9:19 PM - 23 December, 2007
As Sal Flip stated have a sit down with the mew owners they may brought the clup of what they saw on your nights! It's good that your getting your equipment that you have there! that always can cause a problem later!
djdonnydee 7:43 PM - 24 December, 2007
take a 100% at the door ...their makin their money at the bar....way more!. their the ones that are greedy. the only thing u might have to pay is the bouncers which is almost nothing. your doin all the work to bring ppl in. u spent the money makin flyers ,banners etc.... fuck that. the promoters here in jersey take the door, hire djs ,pay djs and maybe pay half for the bouncers. if they dont agree with u then take ur business down the block to another bar/club/lounge. the bars down the block know from word of mouth u packed that place out.
Mr. Goodkat 9:04 PM - 24 December, 2007
Quote:
take a 100% at the door ...their makin their money at the bar....way more!. their the ones that are greedy. the only thing u might have to pay is the bouncers which is almost nothing. your doin all the work to bring ppl in. u spent the money makin flyers ,banners etc.... fuck that. the promoters here in jersey take the door, hire djs ,pay djs and maybe pay half for the bouncers. if they dont agree with u then take ur business down the block to another bar/club/lounge. the bars down the block know from word of mouth u packed that place out.

listen to him, don't back down at all. you did there, you can do it somewhere else. surely thoughout this time period, you made some friends that will back you at another nearby spot.
Logisticalstyles 1:22 AM - 26 December, 2007
Sal and Ready Red made some good points, and that's where my thinking is right now. I do plan to go into the meeting Thursday with an exact idea of what I want. I would love to get a higher percentage of the door. But at the same time I want to get a higher gaurantee for coming out. Last week I only made 250 for over 14 hours of DJing. I did the same amount of work and played just as well, but there were not enough people there. That was beyond my control. That's part of the risk of being a promoter. Ideally I would like to get 500 for coming out and providing sound, and maybe 30% of the door.

However,

I did get an offer from another club in the same area. It's not even 20 yards from my current spot, but it only holds half the capacity. I know if I moved my banner and sound system across the way my regulars would follow. I have had other people tell me that as a promoter I do desreve 100% of the door. If I was already getting 100% of the door winter time wouldn't have been quite as tight, financialy speaking. I think alot also hinges upon wether the new owner intends to bring in his own sound system, that would eliminate a need for my system and cause me to charge alot less.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:25 AM - 26 December, 2007
Another for 100% of the door. If they don't agree, stick with it for another Month or two and use it to build up your promoter skills. Start building a email list, create a MySpace page (if the crowd is into that), get a physical address list, etc and most importantly, build a name or brand other than your own DJ name and the club.

Right now if that club is hot and people know it as "Club Microwave" with "DJ Button Pusher". Try and turn it into "Button Push Fridays" to take the thunder away from the Club so when and if you move people will know the "Button Push Fridays" are now at Club XYZ.

If you are bringing in a whole system, absolutely no reason you should get just 1/2 the door.
Old School Joe 7:29 PM - 26 December, 2007
You need to get whatever agreement you and the new owners make in writing and make sure you get a copy of the agreement. I would keep that and the receipts for the soundsystem you bought together.
ChrisS 4:06 AM - 28 December, 2007
all the talk about money, dont forget GET YOUR SHIT OUT QUICKLY If anything of yours is in the club at 12midnight on jan 1 it all belongs to the new owner.

take everything out and use a mobile setup for new years or you risk it all.

dont bring your stuff back until you work out a signed contract with serial numbers of all your equipment. i have been in companies that were bought out and it is the law when they take ownership ANYTHING inside belongs to them. this is the #1 rule to ANY job, never bring in personal items besides pictures etc..
Logisticalstyles 3:09 PM - 28 December, 2007
Yeah, I agree. I'm going in today to move stuff around and make it easier to be completely out of there at the end of NYE. I'm going to put my light on a light stand, and I'm going to take out some of the bigger subs. I might have one of my boys there to help me load out at the end of the night.

I went over my records for the last 6 months and realized that I averaged 500 a night, which is what I originally asked for when I started this gig. I think I would much rather get a set price for what I do. Right now any percentage of the door is still a rip off for me. Last Saturday the doo only made $500, if that much.
Logisticalstyles 8:54 PM - 18 January, 2008
I worked out a deal with the owner and I am glad to say I was NOT getting played. I got what I wanted. Thanks for the advice guys.