Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato software stops functioning when idle for a few minutes or longer

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ_Simple 9:19 PM - 9 April, 2012
I'm not sure if it as an issue with my laptop or the program itself but I find that when I have Serato open and I use another program for a few minutes or more, that Serato stops functioning. I have used other programs in the past for far longer, with Serato open and haven't had the problem I'm having now. I can load tracks and switch from relative to internal or even absolute mode but the track will not play in any of the modes, nor will any of the cue points work even though I can press the buttons with my mouse. I also use the Dicers and they do not work. Neither will any of the buttons or knobs on my TTM 57 so basically the midi stops working and the tracks won't play. I turn the mixer off and back on and the program works again and so will the buttons and knobs on the 57 but the dicers won't work. So I exit Serato and open it back up and then it's back to working fine again. The other thing that I've had a problem with is audio drop out. The wave form completely disappears and the audio drops out completely. It doesn't happen very often but I have had it happen at a couple gigs recently. It usually only cuts out for a second and then comes back in but it has cut out and not come back at all before and I had to switch to vinyl so I could restart the program in the middle of my set. This was happening before I got the update and I had hoped the update would have fixed the problem but it is still happening. If I can eliminate serato as the problem then I will know that I need to have my computer looked at. Could you please help me in figuring out what the problem is? I got all the most recent updates for my laptop as well and I don't hold too much information on my laptop's hard drive. I have an external hard drive that carries most of my music when I DJ.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 9:38 PM - 9 April, 2012
What other program are you running? Are you using an external HD with Scratch Live? Have you turned all your sleep settings to never?
DJ_Simple 8:53 PM - 10 April, 2012
I'm usually just running safari or finder to look for tracks and sometimes Mixed in key, I don't do a whole lot of other things when I'm using Serato at home. When I'm at my gigs the only thing running is Serato without any internet connection and I still get drop outs. I have only recently begun having problems when I run other programs though. I have used multiple programs in the past and left Serato open only to come back to it and have no problems with using it again after leaving it sit idle. I am using an external HD and I haven't found a way to change the sleep settings on it but the only thing I've noticed about that is that it may take a few seconds longer to load a track in Serato because the HD has to wake up to access the track i'm loading.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 11:24 PM - 10 April, 2012
If you have already set your sleep settings for the Mac to never, then it must be the drive causing the issue. Try duplicating the issue without the drive.

Also, never leave Scratch Live idle - it will not function correctly. Restart the program if you walk away for a while.
12:00 AM, 25 Apr 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
9:13 PM, 25 Apr 2012
DJ_Simple attached a file: serato error report.rtf
Download· Permalink
DJ_Simple 9:14 PM - 25 April, 2012
I wasn't able to re-create the problem without the external HD attached however I just had the problem happen again but this time I was using serato with no other programs and I had not left it sitting idle. It happened while I was practicing at home just now. I had to force close serato and I copied the error report that was sent to apple. I attached the file incase that will help.
DJ_Simple 9:19 PM - 25 April, 2012
Just to add what happened exactly this time was I noticed the hardware controls on my Rane ttm57 were not functioning again (group select, B1-B6 buttons, P1/P2 knobs, J1/J2 switches) so I turned the mixer off and on again. Then after I had started playing music again for only a few minutes, the audio stopped playing but the wave form in the program was still going as if the song was playing but then I lost the wave form as well. I was able to load another track to that deck but had no control on the track meaning I was unable to play the track. I went to close the program and restart it but then it wouldn't close so I had to force close the program.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 9:49 PM - 25 April, 2012
Jus to be clear - you did not have ANY issues when you were not using the drive - right?

Then, when you connected the drive - thats when these issues started?
DJ_Simple 5:57 PM - 26 April, 2012
I tried with out the drive once but it happens so infrequently even when the drive is attached. I haven't had time to try it for very long without the drive attached since almost all of my music is on it and I have to get work done. I had it happen again today when I started the program. the sound dropped and then the wave form dropped out but I was able to get it back without restarting anything. I can try using my old external HD because I never had issues with that one and it has all the music I need on it since it's my back up. I just don't like to use it because it's a lot larger than my the other one and requires an outlet. The newer HD is USB powered and a lot smaller.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:33 PM - 27 April, 2012
Thats probably your problem. The new drive is getting too hot. Its not externally powered and its not well ventilated.

Try with the other older drive.
DJ_Simple 6:22 PM - 2 May, 2012
I tried it with the other drive and it seems to be working fine. The drive I was having problems with is well vented and has never over heated but I imagine it may just be getting wore out from all of the use it gets. I think I've had that drive for about a year now and I use it for hours everyday.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 7:34 PM - 2 May, 2012
Yea sounds like its time to replace it.
DJ_Simple 7:41 PM - 2 May, 2012
Ok, so (go figure) not long after I sent that last response saying everything was working fine I have yet another problem. It's the same problem I've been having with the other hard drive attached but I just had it happen again with the older hard drive attached. the Serato program was not responding and neither were the controls on my 57. I turned off the 57, then turned it back on and it started working again. I also had to unplug the USB and plug the USB back in again on my Dicers to get them to work again because they were lit up but when I pressed the buttons nothing would happen in Serato. I plan on getting a new HD that connects via firewire so I can use the two USB ports on my mac for the serato and dicers but right now I have to use a USB hub to connect the dicers and 57 to my laptop. I feel like using the hub is causing some of the problems.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 3:39 PM - 3 May, 2012
Yes the Hub is the problem. You cannot connect the 57 into a Hub. The 57 must allways be plugged into the computer directly.
DJ_Simple 5:14 PM - 4 May, 2012
Thanks, I'm going to buy a HD that connects via firewire so I can use the two USB ports for the 57 and the dicers. I don't often have problems when running the 57 through the hub but you're right Serato and the 57 don't like that setup!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 6:03 PM - 4 May, 2012
Good choice. I think that will run better for you.
7:00 PM, 18 May 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.