Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Breif sound dropouts

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DjCity 3:05 PM - 9 April, 2012
Hello.

I have had this issue for a while but it seems to be getting worse.

I play and the music will stop for a half second or so. The program just hangs for that brief half second or so, then resume. There is no limiter light, the cpu is not spiking, there is nothing that gives any warning. This happens 3 to 5 times in a 4 hour show.

I am using
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM 250GB Hard Disk
1.5TB Seagate GoFlex External HD
ITCH
Numark NS6

HELP PLEASE
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:20 AM - 10 April, 2012
Hey Dj City,

Lets try and see if it's to do with the info being sent from the NS6 or the external HD.
Firstly have you tried unplugging external HD and seeing if it still does this without the connected HD?
Not sure if you have done this before but can also do run through the optimization guide just to make doubly sure it's not an issue with Mac.

Try a few different USB cables and also make sure that you aren't using a USB if possible, but if you do use one make sure it's a power one. There could be an issue with the signals on the USB ports also. We will need to investigate that too.

Let me know how you go with these first steps.

Link: serato.com

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 4:34 PM - 10 April, 2012
Hey Dave,

I have optimized the laptop a long time ago. I never have bluetooth on and wifi is always turned off. I am not using a usb hub. I have the NS6 plugged into the right hand side usb port, the external HD is plugged into the firewire 800 port (also on the right hand side). Nothing is plugged into the left side of the laptop except the power to the macbook pro. There is an open usb port on the left side of the macbook pro but it's not in use.

I will try a new usb cable but I don't think that's the issue.

I will let you know about the rest as soon as I get the chance to check them.
DjCity 4:35 PM - 10 April, 2012
The sound glitches don't seem to be usb dropouts. I think it's something else.
DjCity 4:19 PM - 11 April, 2012
All my music is on the ext HD. There is no way for me to unplug it and see if it gets better.

I can say that I have used different ext HD's with different usb cables and it made no difference. The problem is there with all the ext HD's.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:22 PM - 11 April, 2012
Hey Dj City,

Try putting a few songs on your Desktop and unplugging you ext HD. We need to establish this to troubleshoot correctly. Let me know how you go. It may not make a difference but at least when can then move on right?

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 12:21 AM - 17 April, 2012
I will try that this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I have also changed the usb port I use for the NS6. I am now using the port right next to the power.
d.barcalay@gmx.de 1:18 PM - 22 April, 2012
Hey i got the same Problem with my
Macbook Pro
2.4 Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067Mhz DDR3
TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF 500,11 GB
no extrenal HD
VCI 300 MK2
and also with a friends Novation Twitch and a white Macbook (dont now more details)
there we got a few sound dropouts per hour.
yesterday I got 2 brief sound dropouts at the beginning of my 3 hours set.

we had different USB Cabels with VCI and Twitch
never got this Problem with previous Itch versions
seems to be a Problem in Itch 2.2
Hey DjCiti do you got this Problem with previous Itch versions?

Regards
Dario Calay
DjCity 2:57 PM - 22 April, 2012
Nope. Problem is still there. I put music on the laptop with no ext and the problem of still there. it's on both 2.2 and 1.8.

The last two times I used itch I had the additional problem of itch doing strange things like on 2.2, I loaded up a track and the lights on the platter stopped working. I had no control over itch. I could play the tracks but I could not use pitch sliders out anything else. That might I had to use sync for the first time because I could do nothing else to match my songs. I could not turn sync off after applying it. It was like the controller was frozen. This was on 2.2.

Last night I used 1.8 and the Fx.s turned on by themselves. I could not turn it off. It was not applied but it was in blue as if I activated it when I had not. Again I was not able to turn it off.

What is going on?
DjCity 6:10 PM - 22 April, 2012
Damn spell check....

The problems are still there.
The last two times I used itch I had the additional problem of itch doing strange things like on 2.2, I loaded up a track and the lights on the platter stopped working. I had no control over itch. I could play the tracks but I could not use pitch sliders or anything else. That night, I had to use sync for the first time because I could do nothing else to match my songs. I could not turn sync off after applying it. It was like the controller was frozen. This was on 2.2.

Last night I used 1.8 and the Fx.s turned on by themselves. I could not turn it off. It was not applied but it was in blue as if I activated it when I had not. Again I was not able to turn it off.
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:28 AM - 23 April, 2012
Hey DJCity,

Lets look into the Drivers and Firmware, make sure the Firmware is up to date in the ITCH>SETUP>Hardware>Firmware.. Should just say if it's up to date. If not you can follow a link there to up date it.
Drivers can be downloaded from here: www.numark.com

Try these's two things now..Let me know how you go

Regards
Dave W
jroc453 4:11 PM - 23 April, 2012
I have had this issue since i bought my NS6. Scratch Live never does it but I get the freeze issue 2-3 times per night. No usb dropout light and my screen freezes for that half a sec as well. we need a fix for it.Im also using a ext fireWire 800 and have tried a different hd but still the same thing.
DjCity 10:20 PM - 23 April, 2012
When you say drivers, what do you mean? Please be very specific.
On the Numark page, I see..

.OSX Driver 2.1.0

Serato Itch 1.8.125 OSX/Win (drivers included)

Which one do I download? What about the existing drivers? Where di I download the drivers to and how do I use (install) them?

Also, jroc453 has described the problem pretty well cause that's what is happening to me with the addition of the new problems I mentioned in my last post.

I did not have this issue with my NS7. Only with the NS6.
DjCity 10:27 PM - 23 April, 2012
Btw, Firmware is up to date.
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:47 AM - 24 April, 2012
Hey Dj City,

1)To be specific, the NS6 Mac driver : OSX Driver 2.1.0 is the latest on the Numark website.
2)Download it and install the the .dmg file. Make sure your NS6 is connected and ITCH is closed.

You can also try the follow instructions to calibrate the unit.
1. While holding the right Deck's SYNC button, turn the NS6's power on. HOT CUE BUTTONS 1-5 will flash.
2. Set both PITCH FADERS to the maximum position (closest to you).
3. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
4. Set both PITCH FADERS to the minimum position (farthest from you).
5. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
6. Set both PITCH FADERS to the center position.
7. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
8. On the left Deck's STRIP SEARCH sensor:
a. Touch and hold the right-most position (where you would ordinarily touch to jump to the end of a track). Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
b. Touch and hold the left-most position (where you would ordinarily touch to jump to the start of a track). Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
Note: Make sure the whole pad of your fingertip – not just part of it – is touching the end of the STRIP SEARCH sensor.
9. Repeat Steps 8a-b with the right Deck's STRIP SEARCH sensor.
10. Calibration is complete! You may start using NS6.

Let's try these things and see where that takes us. Let me know how you go.

Regards
Dave W
jroc453 4:44 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
Hey Dj City,

1)To be specific, the NS6 Mac driver : OSX Driver 2.1.0 is the latest on the Numark website.
2)Download it and install the the .dmg file. Make sure your NS6 is connected and ITCH is closed.

You can also try the follow instructions to calibrate the unit.
1. While holding the right Deck's SYNC button, turn the NS6's power on. HOT CUE BUTTONS 1-5 will flash.
2. Set both PITCH FADERS to the maximum position (closest to you).
3. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
4. Set both PITCH FADERS to the minimum position (farthest from you).
5. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
6. Set both PITCH FADERS to the center position.
7. Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
8. On the left Deck's STRIP SEARCH sensor:
a. Touch and hold the right-most position (where you would ordinarily touch to jump to the end of a track). Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
b. Touch and hold the left-most position (where you would ordinarily touch to jump to the start of a track). Press the left Deck's SYNC button.
Note: Make sure the whole pad of your fingertip – not just part of it – is touching the end of the STRIP SEARCH sensor.
9. Repeat Steps 8a-b with the right Deck's STRIP SEARCH sensor.
10. Calibration is complete! You may start using NS6.

Let's try these things and see where that takes us. Let me know how you go.

Regards
Dave W

damn!!! thats a lot of steps. What does calibrating do to the unit? Can you brick the unit if done wrong?
DjCity 8:45 PM - 25 April, 2012
Hey Dave,

I already had the latest drivers and my firmware is up to date.

I re calibrated the NS6 and I will let you know how it goes.
DjCity 1:38 PM - 28 April, 2012
I did a 4 hour show last night and had 3 droupouts, On the bright side, Nothing turned on that should not have turned on.

Dropouts remain.
DjCity 2:43 PM - 29 April, 2012
Last nights show, I had five or six dropouts. The limiter light never comes on, the usb light never comes on.

Please let me know there is some kind of fix for this.
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:46 AM - 30 April, 2012
Hey DJCity,

Is there any visual dropouts or is it just audio?
Have you analyzed all your files and made sure there is no corrupt files if there is remove or delete them. serato.com

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 1:58 AM - 30 April, 2012
Hey Dave. I'm only doing audio, no video yet.

All my music is analyzed and I hands no corrupt files.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:47 AM - 30 April, 2012
When I say visual i mean odes the program glitch at all, or is it just the sound coming from your NS6?
DjCity 3:11 AM - 30 April, 2012
Oh.

The program glitches. Everything freezes for that half second.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:41 AM - 30 April, 2012
Hey DJ City,

1) O.K thats interesting lets do some more tests, Firstly please let me know what your USB Buffer is set to in ITCH> Setup>Hardware>USB Buffer Latency ? Set it further to the right and see if the glitches still occur.

2) Play around with ITCH, while you do have the program open run Activity Monitor from Utilities. When you get the drop outs, have a look at what the CPU is doing there. Let me know.
3) Dropout Log, in your Music>Serato> there is a Dropout Log, delete this file and when you re-open ITCH and play around and these glitches occur, check back in the Music>Serato> Look at the Dropout Log> if there is drop outs it should say... Let me know

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 10:00 PM - 30 April, 2012
Latency is set to 2Ms. I will try at 5.
I will let you know about the dropout log later when I finish my show that i'm setting up for now.
I well let you know about active monitor as well.
DjCity 10:27 PM - 30 April, 2012
First dropout and i've only been into it for 20 minutes. I got some weird shit going on. The monitor is not saying I have anything special going on but out generated a long warning list. How do I save that info so I can post it and maybe from there you can help me get this straight? I will be spinning till 9 pm east coast time.
DjCity 2:23 AM - 1 May, 2012
From the Dropout count log....

Limiter Indicator
Total Unmasked Dropouts: 0
Total Masked Dropouts: 0
Callback Dropout Indicator
Total Unmasked Dropouts: 1
USB Dropout Indicator
MIDI Dropout Indicator

From Console messages

4/30/12 5:45:48 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
4/30/12 5:45:59 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:45:59 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:20 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:20 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:25 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] 2012-04-30 17:46:27.396 loginwindow[29:107] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
HDAudio: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS
/DVCPROHDAudio,262): no suitable image found. Did find:
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
HDAudio:no matching architecture in universal wrapper
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] 2012-04-30 17:46:27.399 loginwindow[29:107] Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10017a330 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM loginwindow[29] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM loginwindow[29] Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10017a330 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM SystemUIServer[102] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM SystemUIServer[102] Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10063a470 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM loginwindow[29] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Con
tents/MacOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn,262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn:mach-o, but wrong architecture
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] 2012-04-30 17:46:27.710 loginwindow[29:107] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Con
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM loginwindow[29] Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10017f270 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM com.apple.loginwindow[29] 2012-04-30 17:46:27.711 loginwindow[29:107] Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10017f270 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM SystemUIServer[102] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
4/30/12 5:46:27 PM SystemUIServer[102] Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10063f5c0 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:28 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] (com.akamai.single-user-client[129]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13
4/30/12 5:46:28 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] (com.akamai.client.plist[130]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13
4/30/12 5:46:28 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[123]) Exited with exit code: 1
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM UserEventAgent[118] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPRO
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM UserEventAgent[118] Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x100118200 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM [0x0-0xe00e].com.lexmark.aio.lexnet01[136] e
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM [0x0-0xe00e].com.lexmark.aio.lexnet01[136] n_US
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM UserEventAgent[118] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
4/30/12 5:46:29 PM UserEventAgent[118] Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x10030a8a0 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[146] Mounted devices (
)
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[146] CleanMyMacHelperTool started as volume cleaner with cleanTrashes 1 cleanMacOSJunk 1 cleanWinJunk 1
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[146] Mounted devices (
)
4/30/12 5:46:33 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[146] CleanMyMacHelperTool exited...
4/30/12 5:47:37 PM com.apple.WindowServer[77] Mon Apr 30 17:47:37 DJ-Citys-MacBook-Pro.local WindowServer[77] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
4/30/12 5:48:16 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.xprotectupdater[19]) Exited with exit code: 255
4/30/12 5:55:21 PM MIDIServer[189] MIDIServer [189] starting; arch=x86_64
4/30/12 5:55:22 PM MIDIServer[189] PlugIn Numark NS7 MIDI Driver.plugin -- /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ does not contain a supported architecture.
4/30/12 5:55:22 PM MIDIServer[189] MIDIServer relaunching because a 32-bit driver was found
4/30/12 5:55:22 PM MIDIServer[189] MIDIServer [189] starting; arch=i386
4/30/12 6:46:25 PM SubmitDiagInfo[200] Cleaning up expired diagnostic messages database at path: /var/log/DiagnosticMessages/2012.03.31.asl
4/30/12 6:46:25 PM SubmitDiagInfo[200] Cleaning up expired diagnostic messages database at path: /var/log/DiagnosticMessages/2012.03.30.asl
4/30/12 8:58:07 PM [0x0-0x18018].com.serato.itch[186] Mon Apr 30 20:58:07 DJ-Citys-MacBook-Pro.local ITCH[186] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowList
4/30/12 8:58:07 PM [0x0-0x18018].com.serato.itch[186] Mon Apr 30 20:58:07 DJ-Citys-MacBook-Pro.local ITCH[186] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
4/30/12 8:58:14 PM com.apple.midiserver[189] OS version 10.8.0, Class name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNS6Tiger Corrected name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNS6
4/30/12 8:58:14 PM com.apple.midiserver[189] OS version 10.8.0, Class name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNS7Tiger Corrected name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNS7
4/30/12 8:58:14 PM com.apple.midiserver[189] OS version 10.8.0, Class name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNK14Tiger Corrected name PGKernelDeviceNUMARKNK14
4/30/12 8:58:14 PM com.apple.midiserver[189] OS version 10.8.0, Class name PGKernelDeviceXONEDXTiger Corrected name PGKernelDeviceXONEDX
4/30/12 9:00:02 PM Pages[218] <MM_MMTransaction: 0x3253520>(transactionID=92BDE327-6523-4604-8D8C-408BF8D17AF6 uri=/internetservices/iworkapps/iWorkShare.plist transactionState=kDMTransactionHadError httpStatusCode=-1 contentLength=-1 bytesTransferred=-1 isSuccessful=NO isFinished=YES)
4/30/12 9:02:24 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] ([0x0-0x12012].com.apple.Console[162]) Exited: Killed
4/30/12 9:02:24 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[97] (com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent[125]) Exited: Killed
4/30/12 9:02:25 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory
4/30/12 9:02:25 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

I don't know what any of this means. All I know is that itch is not working properly for me with the NS6 where it used to work flawless with the NS7 that I no longer have.

I had several dropouts in the 3 hours I was playing tonight. The activity monitor did not show anything spiking or anything else at all using resources. Just itch and that was usually under %50.

Any of this stuff make sense to you? Please let me know what I can do at this point.
Serato, Support
David Wood 5:22 AM - 1 May, 2012
O.k I want you to move your latency up to 20. See if it makes a difference.

I'll continue to look into it tomorrow, but i think we are getting closer mate.

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 7:32 PM - 1 May, 2012
With latency at 5ms, itch was not as responsive as I like or need it to be.
At 20ms I imagine it will be almost unusable. I am not a big scratch-er cause the crowds don't wanna hear that all night but I do scratch in my sets. At 20 latency, I will be unable to scratch.

I'm really hoping you see something to help me so itch will run smoothly with NO dropouts and with my latency no more than 2ms.
DjCity 9:37 PM - 1 May, 2012
I want to re analyze all files just to be tripple sure I have no corrupt files.

How can I do that and NOT change bpm's of any of my songs? My library is from 52bpm to 165bpm.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:26 PM - 1 May, 2012
Hey Dj City,

There shouldn't be much difference in Latency between those points. Can you please try this and see, we need to test all possibilities to gather information to find out what your issue is. Don't go on doing stuff like analyzing, follow my steps please.

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 10:30 PM - 1 May, 2012
Ok. I will give it a try at 20ms.

I wanted to be sure that I have no corrupt files. I do not see any but If I re analyze them all, I will be %100 sure that no files have been missed and no files have become corrupt.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:39 PM - 1 May, 2012
Yeah, i understand that.

Can we just stick to what we are doing for now, just don't want to go off track when we are close, let's do that after o.k :)

What we know now is that it is Dropouts between the computer and controller. We also know that it's not CPU plus other things which could cause that. We are closing the door slowly to find the cause :)

Once we have established that latency is or isn't effecting these drop outs we have a better direction.
DjCity 11:03 PM - 1 May, 2012
Oh. I understand. Or at least I think I understand.

How are you able to determine that it's between the the computer and controller and what do you mean that it's not cpu plus other things?

I just want to understand so I know what to look for in the future.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:10 PM - 1 May, 2012
When you were running Activity Monitor, were you watching Memory usage or just cpu, Memory is on a different tab?
Because if you are out of physical memory then the OS will be using the hard disk for virtual memory and that could slow things down to the point where a dropout happens.

Just had a thought after talking with an developer, How many crates and files are in the library? Do the dropouts happen in relation to any navigation activity or interaction with the computer or controller (let's say within 5 seconds of moving a control or using the keyboard/GUI)?
DjCity 11:24 PM - 1 May, 2012
I was looking at cpu mostly. I looked at memory but I can't have both screens up at the same time so looking at cpu made more sense.

I have 4gb physical memory.

I have an awful lot of crates and subcrates. The dropouts to not correlate with loading tracks, scrolling files or crates or moving anything on the controller or the gui.

It's completely random. Or at least it appears that way to me as I can't tie the dropouts to any activity at all.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:43 PM - 1 May, 2012
Let's just go back and double check the Memory in Activity Monitor... Be good to see if it's spikes at all..
I know it's taking a while but once we know what it isn't, it's easier to see what it is :)

let me know how you go.

It could be related to the number of crates and files in your library and how your RAM is managing it..
housedj 3:55 AM - 4 May, 2012
definitely change the stock usb cable that came with your ns6, replace it with a new one.
i had very similar problems as you, up until i replaced the stock cable.. i believe there is a bad batch of stock cables
happened randomly on all versions of itch, getting worse as itch got newer , now on 2.2 even more so. seems like the latest version is more demanding on the usb connection
DJH_PGH 4:18 AM - 4 May, 2012
Hey NS6 USERS - PROBLEM (kinda) SOLVED!!!

A Numark Tech Support Rep (who is a DJ with an NS6 and mbp) and I figured it out !!! ( I am, by NO STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION an apple / Serato tech support kinda guy but I'm gonna give the explanation a shot...here goes...)

It has to do with 32bit vs 64bit kernel on Mac's. Basically, with the NS6 and Serato ITCH; a 2.4 GHz Processor is the minimum requirement. That's what my laptop has (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Dou) and if it is also 64 bit kernel then I am basically running ITCH via the NS6 at its minimum required processing speed and "occasionally" I have 'less' then is required. Has to do with allocating memory for overviews for all 4 decks.

OK...(my head hurts)... There are 3 ways to fix this problem. (2 by the user's and 1 by you guys)

#1. (END USER) Buy a new computer that is larger than a 2.4 GHz

#2. (END USER) Even if the DJ is not and will not EVER use line's 3 & 4, he must put Decks 3 and 4 on the line/mic settings and NOT on "PC" (I do this both at the top of each channels fader AND on the rear of the unit). {So basically I have decks 3 & 4 set to 'mic'} SINCE I HAVE DOE THIS...NO DROP OUTS! You can load a song to 3 & 4 but the overviews are grey.

#3. (SERATO) Give NS6 users the option to run ONLY 2 decks (like the NS7 set up)

I have an NS7 too and it run's flawlessly!!! SO even though my 2.4 GHz Processor is underpowered for the NS6, it is fine for the NS7 because it only has 2 decks and not 4.

Now THAT is a GOOD reason for you guys to give us DJ's the Ability to shut off Deck's 3 & 4 on the screen.

Hope this hes everyone.

The first step is ADMITTING you have a problem...

"Hello, I am Harold and I am a DJ with an equipment addiction..."
NS6 ... Check !
NS7 ... Check !
2 CDJ 1000's and a 57 ... Check !
2 Technics 1200 MKII's and a SL3 box ... Check !
DjCity 2:09 PM - 4 May, 2012
House DJ...
I will try a new "High End" USB cable and see if that helps.

DJ H...
I will try your remedy too. I only use two decks anyway so why not set the others to mic/line.

Dave...
I will set latency to 20ms even though I think it will perform like crap.

I just want my issue to be fixed.
DJH_PGH 3:15 PM - 4 May, 2012
I ran activity monitor on mine and I am at 60 to 75% of CPU when running my ns6 on my 2.4 ghz 64 bit mbp. Can some one at Serato verify and explain this to us ns6 users before I go drop $1600 on. 2.8 ghz Mbp
DjCity 3:19 PM - 6 May, 2012
I forgot to run activity monitor last night.

I only had one dropout last night. I changed out the USB cable from the stock to a gold plated cable.
I ran at 20ms latency. I had a hard time spinning at 20ms. nothing was sharp or on point so i'm really hoping that there is a fix for my (our) problem cause I can't keep spinning at 20ms.

As far as the line/pc goes, I already run with ch1 and ch4 in line mode. I did not change both of them on the back though. I will try that next.

Dave, tell me what you need me to do. If I need to repeat a step because I did something extra (cable)or forgot to run activity monitor, just let me know.
DJH_PGH 8:05 PM - 6 May, 2012
DJcity,
I bit the bullet and bought a new 13" MBP 2.8 GHz Intel Dou Core from the apple web site. I love my NS6 too much plus I have an NS7 too. I also can use the upgraded speed. The 2012 13" MBP is twice as fast as my 2012 MBP and has 3 times the hard drive. Im just gonna take a couple more gigs this year to cover the cost and try and sell my old laptop.

Peace
DjCity 11:02 PM - 6 May, 2012
DJH...

I might have to do the same thing. I love my NS6 but the droupouts are making me want to look elsewhere.

The cost of a new mbp is kinda steep for me right now. I just purchased 4 QSC KW181's so my money is funny right now.

I'm HOPING Dave can get to the bottom of my issue both for me and everyone else that has the same problem.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:03 AM - 7 May, 2012
Hey Dj City,

Lets try something. Go to the Apple > About this Mac > More info > System Report > Applications > looking down the bottom after it loads, 64-Bit (Intel): Yes? or No? if it says yes, lets try booting in 32bit mode and see if it makes any kind of difference, just wanted to give it a go.
support.apple.com
Regards
Dave W
DJH_PGH 11:34 AM - 7 May, 2012
Dave w - can you confirm the Numark tech rep's thoughts that a 2.4 ghz at 64bit kernel is just barley at spec for an ns6/ns7 ? Also , I just ordered a new 2012 macbook pro (13" 2.8 ghz i7 with 4 gb ram). Can I now rest assured that my little audio " glitches " will be gone?

Dj city , I hope this works for you my man, it will save you some cash. My luck, a dollar late and a day short!

Harold
DJH_PGH 11:43 AM - 7 May, 2012
Dj city, does this also happen on your ns7? I have both but only have the glitch on my ns6
DjCity 12:35 PM - 7 May, 2012
It's only on the NS6. The NS7 ran beautifully with no glitches or drop outs of any kind. The only problem I had with the NS7 was it's weight. Lol.
DjCity 12:38 PM - 7 May, 2012
On my NS7, the circuit board messed up and Numark did not have the parts to repair it so I got the NS6.

I love it but I hate the drop outs.
DJH_PGH 1:56 PM - 7 May, 2012
I hear ya, I would exclusively use ns7 except too damn heavy. Im doing a gig in FLA and its much easier to fly with an NS6 then anything else. Also, I wanted to throw this in for you and Dave W. I recorded my set and had 2 drop outs. The 2 quarter second Drop Outs were heard over the clubs sound system as well as thru my monitor BUT when I listen back to the recording the drop outs were not there??? So O=one has to make the assumption that it is possibly a sound card issue ? The recording is flawless and not a hint of a glitch but that night you heard 2 very quick losses of audio if you were on the dance floor. DJ City, have you noticed this ?
DJH_PGH 1:57 PM - 7 May, 2012
if a brand new MacBook Pro doesn't solve this issue, I will go back to my DJM600 and two CDJ's with SSL. That is by far the more stable of the 2 (Scratch vs Itch).
DjCity 4:32 PM - 7 May, 2012
I record a lot of my sets. I never thought about that (recording drop outs). I'm going to have a listen for that.

Dave, any suggestions on what DJ H of saying?
DjCity 4:34 PM - 7 May, 2012
Let me know how it goes with the new mbp and if it solves your dropouts.
DjCity 5:28 PM - 7 May, 2012
Dave...

Just checked and it is loading in 64bit

How do I load in 23bit and what does that do to the system or itch? Does it make anything run slower?

What's the difference between loading 64bit vs 32bit?
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:01 AM - 9 May, 2012
Hey DJ City,

The above instruction are there on the link. :)

Do a little mix or go back over some of your recorded mixes, if the popping sound doesn't come threw in the mix i need to know. There is something we can do if that is the case.

Regards
Dave W
DJH_PGH 2:17 PM - 9 May, 2012
Hey Dave (sorry DJ City I'm not trying to hijack your discussion)
When you say "popping Sounds" did you really mean Audio loss or sound drop out ?
I can confirm (at least on my end) that when I record with my NS6 and I have a Audio Loss or Drop Out, it is heard in the CLub BUT NOT ON THE RECORDING... The recording is perfect. Why is that ?
what can we do to fix ?
DjCity 12:14 AM - 10 May, 2012
I'm listening to a recording now and i'm not hearing any drop outs when I KNOW there were drop outs during the show.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:47 AM - 10 May, 2012
Hey DJ CITY,

Not sure what OSX your on DJH_PGH but try this guys.

Sounds like a driver issue as if the sound output is effected but not the recording internally. So lets remove the preferences and driver components and start again.

**MAKE SURE ALL PROGRAMS ARE CLOSED AND CONTROLLERS DISCONNECTED.

Macintosh HD > System> Extensions > Remove the NumarkNS6Audio.kext (You can trash anything in there actually, trash then empty trash then restart

User > Library> Preferences > NUMARKNS6.usbsettings.xml (Trash it)!

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > MIDI Drivers > Numark NS6 Driver.plugin (Trash it )!

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > HAL > NumarkNS6AudioHAL.plugin (Trash it)!

Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Window > Show MIDI Window > Remove midi NS6 icon if it's there.

Also trash anything related to the NS6 in the Applications such as Numark NS6 USB PANEL

After this process empty trash and restart your computer.
Re-download latest driver from Numark website: www.numark.com connect the NS6 and install, test and let me know if this helps.

Regards
Dave W
DJH_PGH 3:09 AM - 10 May, 2012
Dave,
Same thing for ns7fx too? I had an audio drop on it last night!

Dj h
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:20 AM - 10 May, 2012
Just the NS6 for now mate, one at a time, Audio drop out is going to be a different issue anyway i think.

Regards
Dave W
DJH_PGH 3:37 AM - 10 May, 2012
So basically I am Uninstalling EVERYTHING related to the NS6 ? Essentially erasing it from my laptop as if it never exsisted and then installing the drivers from NUMARK.COM like i just bought a NEW NS6 today?

my macbook pro (I am running OS X 10.6.8 see specs)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
SMC Version (system): 1.62f5
Serial Number (system): W80162YWATM
Hardware UUID: 75D5FE9A-D20B-5FE1-926F-FF73F5E38B49
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:48 AM - 10 May, 2012
Thats the one, if you've try anything else in this thread, give it a go.

Let's us know how you go.

Regards
Dave W
jroc453 7:15 PM - 11 May, 2012
Has anyone tried what Dave W said to do? I just saw this and might try it before my gig tomorrow, but hate messing with stuff like this right before a gig and wanted to see if it fixed the issue.
DjCity 9:45 PM - 11 May, 2012
I will do it on sunday. I don't do things like that till AFTER shows so I have time to correct anything that might go wrong.
DjCity 2:21 PM - 12 May, 2012
Dave...

HOW could I correct this if anything goes wrong?
JDforKing 3:01 AM - 13 May, 2012
Buying a new computer stopped my drop out problems. I've said repeatedly in these forum i feel that the Core 2 duo processor can't handle the ns6 without causing dropouts. Once i got my macbook pro with the i5 processor everything was fixed.
DJH_PGH 7:02 PM - 13 May, 2012
Jdforking, I agree. That's why I just ordered my new mbp with the 2.8 ghz i7. It has 4 gig memory . Tink that will fix it?

Dave & City, I did the reinstall of ns6 and started using itch 2.2 ( the latest one) I only had ONE drop out and I can't totally rule out the fact that it might have been a corrupt file r a low kbs song.

So, so far so good. BUT ... TO ALL ...
How does ITCH and LION GET Along?
DjCity 8:14 PM - 13 May, 2012
DJH

Did you do the re install on your new MBP or the old one?
DJH_PGH 8:24 PM - 13 May, 2012
old one, i havent got the new one yet. was not that bad and everything worked great
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:16 AM - 14 May, 2012
Hey DjCity,

As long as you only delete what i said to you'll be fine. It's not that dangerous what we are doing. Just go step by step then re-install driver.

Regards
Dave W
THE DJ LKP 9:04 AM - 14 May, 2012
hi, i had a random Google search for this as my screen has been freezing, and audio dropping out and glitching / repeating bits of songs over my 6-7 hour gig on a Saturday night. Seems that when I have been recording internally, it has picked up all of these glitches too.

I am now going to try out a new USB, setting both channels 3&4 to mic/line on the rear of the unit. I am running a 4 year old macbook, its only 2.1ghz but does have 4gb of RAM, but it works absolutely great for the most part, over 98% of the time.

One thing no one has mentioned is the fact that (with me at least) my NS6 actually freezes. The loop lights stop working, and the effects buttons also fail, but they can still be read by the macbook after the glitches have run their course. Thinking it could be a possible power surge through the unit, but generally very confused.

Any ideas??

LKP
DJH_PGH 10:43 AM - 14 May, 2012
sounds like the USB to me, I did...early on...swap out the original USB provided by numark for a better usb. What OS are you running ? Are you running lion ?

Also, did you try removing the drivers and reloading them ? Here is the instructions from Dave W (serato) -

Sounds like a driver issue as if the sound output is effected but not the recording internally. So lets remove the preferences and driver components and start again.

**MAKE SURE ALL PROGRAMS ARE CLOSED AND CONTROLLERS DISCONNECTED.

Macintosh HD > System> Extensions > Remove the NumarkNS6Audio.kext (You can trash anything in there actually, trash then empty trash then restart

User > Library> Preferences > NUMARKNS6.usbsettings.xml (Trash it)!

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > MIDI Drivers > Numark NS6 Driver.plugin (Trash it )!

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > HAL > NumarkNS6AudioHAL.plugin (Trash it)!

Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Window > Show MIDI Window > Remove midi NS6 icon if it's there.

Also trash anything related to the NS6 in the Applications such as Numark NS6 USB PANEL

After this process empty trash and restart your computer.
Re-download latest driver from Numark website: www.numark.com connect the NS6 and install, test and let me know if this helps.

Regards
Dave W
THE DJ LKP 11:43 AM - 14 May, 2012
great, Ill try that. Im currently running Snow Leopard, so there shouldnt really be any probs as far as that is concerned I think!

much appreciated

LKP
THE DJ LKP 5:33 PM - 14 May, 2012
currently totally screwed as I now cannot register my product thanks to Numarks amazing policy of not being able to register products from anywhere outside the US. No drivers, no way of replacing them at the moment. most defintely my fault, but is there anywhere I can re-download everything I have literally just trashed?
DJH_PGH 6:24 PM - 14 May, 2012
www.numark.com

Bottom right side
THE DJ LKP 8:31 PM - 14 May, 2012
nice one! all re-downloaded and installed... will check the ns6 in the morning
geekinthepink 11:38 AM - 15 May, 2012
Can you recommend a decent USB replacement cable? What's the difference between the different cables and how can you tell if a cable is of good quality?
DJH_PGH 4:17 AM - 17 May, 2012
New MBP and NS6 work great together. (Knock on wood!). I got the 13" 2.8 i7
DJH_PGH 8:40 PM - 21 May, 2012
City,
I got to say...the new MBP was the fix.
not a single drop out
I got all 4 channels running and the latency on 1 ms
and I did not have a single issue this entire weekend.
Friday 5 hour gig
Saturday 6 hour wedding
Flawless!!!
Hate to say it bro, but it is the specs on the 2010 MBP 2.4 64 bit kernel
DjCity 1:07 AM - 23 May, 2012
Great to hear and DANM...

A new MBP is gonna really set me back. I can't do one now cause I have other things that I HAVE to do.

But I WILL be getting a new MBP and I want mine superspeced.
DjCity 9:52 PM - 25 May, 2012
DJ H...

Did you get the quad core, dual core or what?

I'm looking into new MBP's now.
DjCity 9:56 PM - 25 May, 2012
Dual core, Quad core or intel core?
SG SOUNDS 4:33 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
City,
I got to say...the new MBP was the fix.
not a single drop out
I got all 4 channels running and the latency on 1 ms
and I did not have a single issue this entire weekend.
Friday 5 hour gig
Saturday 6 hour wedding
Flawless!!!
Hate to say it bro, but it is the specs on the 2010 MBP 2.4 64 bit kernel

How did you transfer your music and itch software to the new mac step by step...im gonna get me one of those 13 inch i7 matchbooks.
DJH_PGH 12:31 PM - 4 June, 2012
I got the i7 (2.8 Ghz) and I just did a migration from old mac to new mac via their migration tool
DJH_PGH 12:31 PM - 4 June, 2012
sorry,
I have been MIA for a while.
City, hit me at pghdj@hotmail.com
DjCity 9:26 PM - 24 June, 2012
DJ H....

I broke down and purchased this...

MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel i7
Originally released October 2011
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution

4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M

I'm hoping this will solve my problems.
DjCity 9:32 PM - 24 June, 2012
I'm gonna add more ram and I am thinking about installing a larger HD, like a Tb.
DJH_PGH 1:30 PM - 25 June, 2012
that i7 should def solve your problems. I run my NS6 on my new 13" i7 and I can set latency at "1". no more drop outs !!! Love it now. So worth the investment of a new Macbook Pro
Victor Stan 6:42 PM - 28 June, 2012
Hello. I am trying to remove everything ITCH and SCRATCH installed on my MBP and the last files I found are:

NumarkNS6AudioHAL.plugin
NumarkNS7AudioHAL.plugin
NumarkV7AudioHAL.plugin
SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin
XONE_DX.plugin

The problem is that it won't let me trash the files because it says they all are in use. I have no device connected, no app running (the app is long gone and deleted). I also checked Activity Monitor and there is no related process running, so what is keeping me from deleting the files and how do I do it?

Thanks!
Victor Stan 7:22 AM - 29 June, 2012
Ah never mind, I figured it out. Move files into trash, restarted then emptied with no problem. Guess that once they were moved, they wouldn't load up anymore. Still very disappointed with your software and the lack of an adequate uninstaller, ITCH/SCRATCH leave too much files and plugins that are in use after app deletion for me to trust...
Sand 5:42 PM - 30 June, 2012
Why buy a brand new MBP? Can't the processor just be upgraded instead via Apple?
Djtrampa 9:40 PM - 30 June, 2012
Well my case was not too bad because I had a pc and cold not handle the NS6 LOL.. used to freeze so I knew that I needed MBP true.. I got the same MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel i7
Originally released October 2011
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution

4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M
-------THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS LOST THE LOW gain on all song ON CHANNEL 2 but the other channel were working fine it did't crash and some song used to come out blank... (I used 2 channel to mix and had channel 1 and 4 on line for mic used ) I used channel 3 and 4 on one deck next thing you know It was working fine I had a few gig's never had this problem jet... until last night (it's ok) so far
DJH_PGH 11:53 AM - 10 July, 2012
Been almost 2 months & 2 dozen dj gigs since I bought the new MBP 13" i7. Not a single issue (knock on wood)!
DjCity 6:54 PM - 12 July, 2012
Since I got the new MBP....
I have been problem free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a pause, not a hiccup, not a stutter, not a freeze, not a dropout, not a limiter light, not a high cpu usage bar.

No problems whatsoever.

I'm happy again.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:27 PM - 12 July, 2012
Hey DJ City,

Such good news, really glad to here that. Hope that continues. I'll close this thread for now as it seems like your problem is solved.

Warm Regards

Dave W