DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Can someone explain this whole ME Vs. Video-SL/Serato Video thing?

LilSwann 11:43 PM - 8 April, 2012
Ok I"m not a video DJ so I was just wondering what is it about ME that's so much better than Video-SL/Serato Video that has everyone in frenzy? I'm really just looking for facts because I'm kind of interested everyone here says ME is better I just want to know expand my knowledge a little bit I guess. Along with that what would Serato need to do with their video plug-in to make it equal or better than ME? Hopefully this won't turn into a bashing thread hopefully more a insight for Serato on what the video DJs are looking for as far as their video sets.
RogerRabbit 11:49 PM - 8 April, 2012
Did you already read here: serato.com
DJ Unique 12:03 AM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:

and have fun reading 1,449 comments...
LOL
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:14 AM - 9 April, 2012
that thread isn't really gonna give him the info that he's looking for
LilSwann 12:31 AM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:

Yea Ive been reading through that and like Dynamite said it doesn't really me the info I'm asking in this thread
popnwave 1:04 AM - 9 April, 2012
ME has a much more robust feature set. It's very stable and allows great features such as recording your video set, exporting to 3rd party programs with syphon and other neat stuff.
Taipanic 1:55 AM - 9 April, 2012
Adding to that ^^ M.E. is developed by someone who makes himself very available for feedback, feature requests, and support. M.E. has been in a constant state of improvement over the last two years and also does things like adding new transitions and effects almost every week. VSL on the other hand, remained stagnant for a very long time, no improvements or enhancements for almost a two year span.
DJMark 3:56 AM - 9 April, 2012
The bigest thing with ME: noticeably better video quality and performance.

Not a subtle difference at all.

I'm pretty sure the Serato developers have already read and heard more than they want to on the subject. :-)

I give Serato MAJOR SERIOUS props for allowing very open discussion on here about ME etc. They're way better in that respect than most companies would be.
skinnyguy 8:31 PM - 9 April, 2012
do you have a mac? go use ME. they have a demo.

then use SV.

report back to us what you can and can't do between the two.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:10 AM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
do you have a mac? go use ME. they have a demo.

then use SV.

report back to us what you can and can't do between the two.

Best advice right there. Try them both and see what the difference is for yourself.
DJRemixEnt 12:29 PM - 10 April, 2012
Serato Video/VSL = Geo Metro

ME = Maybach
------------------------------------------------

Features VSL & SV doesnt have that ME does:

auto/random transitions

advanced effects manipulation

logo on screen

media bank which auto loads ambient video and still image files to audio clips (SV and Video SL you have to manually assign ambient files to every MP3 which is a pain in the ass)

customizable preview and output windows

able to use a webcam

advanced output for projector use

quartz images

auto border fill

a shit load of effects and transitions

customizable output controls (brightness...etc)

delay compensation

record you sets internally (without the use of 3rd party software)

just to name a few
LilSwann 3:39 PM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
Serato Video/VSL = Geo Metro

ME = Maybach
------------------------------------------------

Features VSL & SV doesnt have that ME does:

auto/random transitions

advanced effects manipulation

logo on screen

media bank which auto loads ambient video and still image files to audio clips (SV and Video SL you have to manually assign ambient files to every MP3 which is a pain in the ass)

customizable preview and output windows

able to use a webcam

advanced output for projector use

quartz images

auto border fill

a shit load of effects and transitions

customizable output controls (brightness...etc)

delay compensation

record you sets internally (without the use of 3rd party software)

just to name a few

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for just a basic rundown but damn that's quite a lot of features I can now understand a little why all the video DJs are upset with the "upgrade" from Video-SL to Serato Video. Looks like you're missing out on a lot of things not being to use ME.
skinnyguy 12:45 AM - 11 April, 2012
aw man, u ruined the "surprise" for him....

i wanted him to try the good one first and notice it has just about everything we asked for..

then try sv....and when he attempts something that "should" be there, then the frustration will kick in.

then he will understand the frustration we are going thru and why there is such a big ruckus going on about it. vsl/sv diehards won't get it until they try it.
skinnyguy 12:52 AM - 11 April, 2012
the frustration also comes from us, ME users that have vsl/sv, asking for all these features and upgrades and things took too long. much too long. and ME came along and things got implemented and improved quite quickly. at such a quick pace, vsl was left in the dust and stuck at 1.2 for a long time. features and fx kept getting requests but they always came out on ME faster. then the whole change came along and vsl turned into sv. and was there anything extra added besides itch support? nope. just a name change (on the outside). internally it was re-written from the ground up but for us users, it gave us nothing. it's new structure is supposed to give us quicker updates now....but as you can see, serato has a LOT to catch up on. oh, and now ME isn't working with SSL 2.4.x. and higher.
skinnyguy 12:55 AM - 11 April, 2012
also, the ME users can't use newer hardware (61/62 mixers), unless we have to use a workaround with old versions of ssl. and we can no longer take advantage of whatever new features are added to ssl.

if we want to use the new mixers the way they were intended (without a sl box), we can no longer use ME and we are being FORCED to use something far inferior.
DJRemixEnt 1:27 AM - 11 April, 2012
Quote:
aw man, u ruined the "surprise" for him....

i wanted him to try the good one first and notice it has just about everything we asked for..

then try sv....and when he attempts something that "should" be there, then the frustration will kick in.

haha
LilSwann 3:58 PM - 11 April, 2012
@Skinnyguy I would love to be able to test both out but I'm not even setup right now in the studio to do so that's why I wanted a rundown. I did look at ME's website and saw all it could do and was quite impressed. Just looking at the features almost wants me to start getting into video but as you said with a rane 62 it won't work :( and I definitely want to cop me a 62 so hopefully Serato sees all the feedback and does something. Even with me not doing video even I can tell nothing really changed with Video-SL to SV besides it probably running a little smoother (based off a youtube vid I watched) and a name change. As far as features I don't see anything myself.
skinnyguy 8:01 PM - 11 April, 2012
comparing features between the two is one thing.

understand our frustration and you'll see why this is such a big deal for us.
DJRemixEnt 8:36 PM - 11 April, 2012
everybody is saying how they wished Serato would get SV up to par with ME, but im wonderin how many ppl would go back to SV if/when it caught up to ME.
LilSwann 8:50 PM - 11 April, 2012
Quote:
comparing features between the two is one thing.

understand our frustration and you'll see why this is such a big deal for us.

Trust me I understand just be simply looking at what you're missing initially.
DJ'Que 10:06 PM - 11 April, 2012
Quote:
everybody is saying how they wished Serato would get SV up to par with ME, but im wonderin how many ppl would go back to SV if/when it caught up to ME.
+1

Serato didnt Give inklen the ok from the jump. so why do it now.

I understand the frustration but it should all be on inklen site and not here.

yeah ME has the Best features and kills SV by a land slide.

but its not there product and was never supported.

Where Is Big Wiz at??????????????
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:31 AM - 12 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Serato didnt Give inklen the ok from the jump. so why do it now.

I understand the frustration but it should all be on inklen site and not here.

yeah ME has the Best features and kills SV by a land slide.

but its not there product and was never supported.

Where Is Big Wiz at??????????????

+1
DJRemixEnt 1:10 AM - 12 April, 2012
Quote:
I understand the frustration

i'm not frustrated... if i have to use 2.3.3 and a ttm57 for the next five years, im cool with that. im still gettin the job done and still havin fun doin it! to me that's all that matters.

and to answer my own question... i'd stay with ME even if Serato stepped thier game up with SV. Serato has the audio game on lock and ME has the video game on lock...that's just the way it is.
skinnyguy 4:00 AM - 12 April, 2012
Quote:

i would...or i would bounce between the two.

but progressing at the rates they were before, even if serato sped things up a bit faster, serato will never catch up.

serato has to code and debug for 2 platforms. that's gonna take a lot of time for testing and debugging.
Dj Nyce 1:54 PM - 13 April, 2012
Quote:
@Skinnyguy I would love to be able to test both out but I'm not even setup right now in the studio to do so that's why I wanted a rundown. I did look at ME's website and saw all it could do and was quite impressed. Just looking at the features almost wants me to start getting into video but as you said with a rane 62 it won't work :( and I definitely want to cop me a 62 so hopefully Serato sees all the feedback and does something. Even with me not doing video even I can tell nothing really changed with Video-SL to SV besides it probably running a little smoother (based off a youtube vid I watched) and a name change. As far as features I don't see anything myself.

you could always use the 62 with an SL box. i've tried it out and it works extremely well. SL2 off of Craigslist for $250 ftw!
Asu 4:01 AM - 13 November, 2012
i Heard a rumor...NI Traktor is adding video soon and ME is gonna be the standard plug in...question is how many of you will try it out?
bboysupafly 4:03 AM - 13 November, 2012
Here's a video review I made for MixEmergency and explain some of its functions.

30 Minute clip
Watchwww.youtube.com
Asu 4:43 AM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Here's a video review I made for MixEmergency and explain some of its functions.

30 Minute clip
Watchwww.youtube.com

+1
Asu 4:44 AM - 13 November, 2012
ME 2.1 works with serato DJ/Live now wow nice...
DJ Unique 7:14 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
i Heard a rumor...NI Traktor is adding video soon and ME is gonna be the standard plug in...question is how many of you will try it out?

I would try it.
Not sure if I would buy Traktor though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:20 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:

Id be down to give it a run
phatbob 7:37 PM - 13 November, 2012
I own both products, and that would be awesome... Haven't heard that rumour anywhere that I would take seriously though.