DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Importance of getting your money up front

DJ Silk 4:29 PM - 18 December, 2007
So this past Saturday I did this private birthday party for this girl that was being held at a "hood spot."
Now normally I wait until the end of the night to get paid, but for some reason during the negotiation process I told her that I was to be paid upon arrival...before I took one piece of equipment out of my car. She agreed and so it was a done deal.

Now when I got to the spot, she was no where to be found so I decided that I would go ahead and at least set up. Eventually the Girl's Mom showed up. She came over and introduced herself and I asked her for my money. Now she tried to show me the money, and then tell me that she was going to give it to the owner of the club and that he would pay me at the end of the night. I laughed and told her that I was going to have to pack up and go home then. She paid me...everything was cool....until...15 minutes before the party was scheduled to be over a fight broke out.
The summary:
2 people stabbed
2 people recieved massages via chair to the back of their heads and shoulders
a club full of people exposed to pepper spray
me not getting home until 5am because the police detained everyone for questioning and it took about 3 hours for the detectives to show up and process the crime scene.

Now...the really messed up part is that had I not gotten my money at the beginning of the night I'd probably still be chasing the girl down for my money because she and her family jetted after the fight. I don't know if they got arrested, went to the hospital (mom got sprayed with spray) or they just bounced....but they were gone.

So...get your money at the beginning of the event.
DeezNotes 4:35 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
2 people recieved massages via chair to the back of their heads and shoulders

LOL!
Flipstyles 4:53 PM - 18 December, 2007
I ask for $100 or 25% (which ever is more) non refundable deposit. Unless I know personally who I am DJ'ing for I request payment in full, in cash prior to set up. I have yet to have a problem.
Dj K.Smith 6:22 PM - 18 December, 2007
I always do biz like that Silk... %50 deposit (non-refundable) and the balance 10 DAYS prior to the event... All it took was one check to bounce, Now I get all of my money before I even show up... If anyone else is serious, I'd strongly suggest the same to you as well.. Being a mobile, there are tons of ways for people to take advantage of us... Collect up front ALWAYS...
dj cubicle 6:24 PM - 18 December, 2007
SWEET!!!!

I'm no longer the # OF PEOPLE STABBED AT YOUR GIG record holder for the year.
DJ Silk 7:16 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
SWEET!!!!

I'm no longer the # OF PEOPLE STABBED AT YOUR GIG record holder for the year.


LMAO...Thank God the year is almost over.
WOW
DEEJAY 007 8:09 PM - 18 December, 2007
what's up silk. we have met a few times. what spot was it. I wonder if its the same one that I play at where someone got shot in the head right around the corner from the front door.
djaction 8:24 PM - 18 December, 2007
How has nobody asked this question yet?!:

What song were you playing when the brawl erupted?

=)
DJ Silk 8:32 PM - 18 December, 2007
What up 007. It was the spot called myplace in Newark Delaware. It is in the same shopping center as a Church, Liquor store, chicken spot, laundromate and convience store....real classy right? LOL

djaction...I was playing Flipside...Peedie, Freeway, Beanie.
I had just finished a baltimore house set and the party was really jumpin...oh well.
I should have played it earlier in the night...then at least I maybe would have gotten home earlier. lol
djaction 8:43 PM - 18 December, 2007
hahaha good shit man!
DJMark 8:56 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
What up 007. It was the spot called myplace in Newark Delaware. It is in the same shopping center as a Church, Liquor store, chicken spot, laundromate and convience store....real classy right? LOL


It's not really "hood" without a "no ID required" check-cashing store.
dj hoodat baller 9:12 PM - 18 December, 2007
sounds like some clubs i did in the past
techjitsu 9:26 PM - 18 December, 2007
Some of us old-school DJs learned to have a 'partner' roll with us to events; someone you can count on and is capable of being an asshole, while you still play the nice guy. When doing clubs, it is not rare to encounter a club owner that is NO WHERE to be found when it is time to pay you at the end of the night. Or, some clubs say they will give you a percentage of the door, but how can you count the people entering the club if you are in the booth?!?!

I have only been doing mobile gigs for the past few years, and I ALWAYS get paid BEFORE the event. I don't know if the clubs are still shady...
djmarvel 10:04 PM - 18 December, 2007
my fave


"oh we didnt make that much money at the door"
dunkle 10:29 PM - 18 December, 2007
F@@k a door. Get a set fee. Club owners will always be shady.

I think the late great Big Baby Jesus had it right when he said "Bitch Better Have My Money!"
Discobee 10:50 PM - 18 December, 2007
Lessons learned:

1) Get your money up front
2) Don't DJ at "hood spots"
3) Don't get stabbed or shot
4) 1.8 is good
D J L.P. 3:22 AM - 19 December, 2007
Im a local Dj in hampton Va. Ive only done a couple of house parties and reunions so far. How much do yall charge for stuff like that. I know radio djs can make a killing in da clubs but so far Ive only copped around 150 for a gig.
J_Static 8:02 AM - 19 December, 2007
wow, what a fun party!!!!

I get half up front before gig and the other half is given to me either mid-gig or the second I step of the decks....
DEEJAY 007 12:54 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
What up 007. It was the spot called myplace in Newark Delaware. It is in the same shopping center as a Church, Liquor store, chicken spot, laundromate and convience store....real classy right? LOL

djaction...I was playing Flipside...Peedie, Freeway, Beanie.
I had just finished a baltimore house set and the party was really jumpin...oh well.
I should have played it earlier in the night...then at least I maybe would have gotten home earlier. lol

naw I have never played there before. I'm sure we could trade stories for days. like the time the girl wanted to see if she could take her weave out of her had and put it back in the bag. she wanted to return the hair when she found out that her "baby daddy" had not paid for me, lol lol. those were the days
sixxx 2:40 PM - 19 December, 2007
100% payment BEFORE I even load shit in my truck. Or, if that makes the customer uneasy, I will receive the money *CASH only* when I arrive to the gig and BEFORE I unload anything or even think about setting up.

Corporate parties or the like where there's actual contracts is a little different but not much.
J_Static 2:42 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Corporate parties or the like where there's actual contracts is a little different but not much.


Puh-lease! Even corpy's get the "F U, Pay me" treatment, but in a more professional manner
sixxx 3:10 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Corporate parties or the like where there's actual contracts is a little different but not much.


Puh-lease! Even corpy's get the "F U, Pay me" treatment, but in a more professional manner


Well duh.... A little different, but not much. Obviously, I'm not going to expect a corporation to pay me in cash. I will however get paid in advance and wait until the check clears before I do the event.
DJPremium 3:31 PM - 19 December, 2007
No doubt, I remember something like this from a few years back.
I was playing a college party at a large club they rented out. Now we didn't get paid up front and there were like 5 djs scheduled. At about 1:30 two records into my set a fight broke out in front of the club. Cops were already there and the party got shut down.
Me and my djing partner made it out just in time to see the girl who organized the party hop in to a cab. so we rolled up quickly on some rick ross 'where my money' and got paid just before she took off. We ended up being the only djs paid that night..
DJ Silk 4:41 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Corporate parties or the like where there's actual contracts is a little different but not much.


Puh-lease! Even corpy's get the "F U, Pay me" treatment, but in a more professional manner


Well duh.... A little different, but not much. Obviously, I'm not going to expect a corporation to pay me in cash. I will however get paid in advance and wait until the check clears before I do the event.


How about the New York NAACP Youth chapter got me for payment. The check bounced, and they never sent a replacement check...despite their claims that it was in the mail.

You just never know when you're going to get got
dj hoodat baller 5:33 PM - 19 December, 2007
One time i did a gig at Pasans in Berkley in 95 and this fucked up as promoter named Damount stiffed me for a hole month and said he did not make that much money and the place was packed and would pay me bull shit and i told him i charged $300 from the start so i got mad and said you owe me and i want my money now.

Then he said if you want to dj hear again you better calm down.

So i thougth to my self for a minute and said fuck it i do not want to dj here any more so i jammed his little fucking ass roughed him up a little and went in his pockets and took out $500 and threw the rest of the money at him and said on my way out the door i guess i do not want to dj here any more.

Sometimes you have to use a little street justice.

Please do not try this at home kids
J_Static 5:39 PM - 19 December, 2007
Nice disclaimer at the end there Grand T!

Yea I don't do that get paid depending on how well the party goes or it depends on what the promoters make off the door!

Ur door doesn't concern me unless I'm getting % on top of my DJ pay!
sixxx 6:57 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Corporate parties or the like where there's actual contracts is a little different but not much.


Puh-lease! Even corpy's get the "F U, Pay me" treatment, but in a more professional manner


Well duh.... A little different, but not much. Obviously, I'm not going to expect a corporation to pay me in cash. I will however get paid in advance and wait until the check clears before I do the event.


How about the New York NAACP Youth chapter got me for payment. The check bounced, and they never sent a replacement check...despite their claims that it was in the mail.

You just never know when you're going to get got


That's why if I ever get a check (which is rare) I will make sure I don't deposit it into my account. I go to the bank where the check was issued and get cash.
sixxx 6:58 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
One time i did a gig at Pasans in Berkley in 95 and this fucked up as promoter named Damount stiffed me for a hole month and said he did not make that much money and the place was packed and would pay me bull shit and i told him i charged $300 from the start so i got mad and said you owe me and i want my money now.

Then he said if you want to dj hear again you better calm down.

So i thougth to my self for a minute and said fuck it i do not want to dj here any more so i jammed his little fucking ass roughed him up a little and went in his pockets and took out $500 and threw the rest of the money at him and said on my way out the door i guess i do not want to dj here any more.

Sometimes you have to use a little street justice.

Please do not try this at home kids


I have 2 1200's from a club that didn't want to pay me. :P
J_Static 7:00 PM - 19 December, 2007
Sixxx is admitting to stealing in a public forum, and they say Mexicans are DUMB!

Smart Sixxx, real smart! Hahaha!
sixxx 7:03 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Sixxx is admitting to stealing in a public forum, and they say Mexicans are DUMB!

Smart Sixxx, real smart! Hahaha!


I didn't steal it. It was a trade for my services. And they say PR's can read.

hahaha!
J_Static 7:18 PM - 19 December, 2007
Yea mofo we can read! I read that u have some clubs turntables since they didn't want to pay u!

Aka stealing! Haha!

I guess those ESL classes didn't help u!
sixxx 7:21 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Yea mofo we can read! I read that u have some clubs turntables since they didn't want to pay u!

Aka stealing! Haha!

I guess those ESL classes didn't help u!


Did you read "I stole some turntables"..... Nope. You didn't.

In ya face! :P
J_Static 7:24 PM - 19 December, 2007
Hahaha! Ur retarded! That's what u meant though u f*ckin dolt!

In yo face + a full open hand slap to the face
sixxx 7:34 PM - 19 December, 2007
lol @ full open hand slap to the face. hahahahahaha
dj hoodat baller 7:35 PM - 19 December, 2007
J and Sixxx comedy at its best you two make my day
J_Static 7:37 PM - 19 December, 2007
Oh and another nomination for Sixxx & I for "Best pair of Jokesters/comedians on the SSL forum"
dj hoodat baller 7:38 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Oh and another nomination for Sixxx & I for "Best pair of Jokesters/comedians on the SSL forum"

+1 you two have my vote for sure.
sixxx 7:39 PM - 19 December, 2007
Alright. Two nominations in less than 30 minutes.

I'll get to keep the Serato Whammy (aka Grammy) or whatever the award is and J_Static can eat paint chips.
J_Static 7:42 PM - 19 December, 2007
You mean u get 2 keep the cum stains on your shirt and the celebratory knee pads given to you by the serato team!

*drum sound*

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waiter and please would someone get Sixxx a napkin!
dj hoodat baller 7:45 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Alright. Two nominations in less than 30 minutes.

I'll get to keep the Serato Whammy (aka Grammy) or whatever the award is and J_Static can eat paint chips.


J can eat paint chips Rofl.

What award do i get i know i should get atleast most watched theard or a theard that gets the most attention amnd has the most drama
J_Static 7:48 PM - 19 December, 2007
+1 for Grand T getting the "Thread w/the most drama" award!
dj hoodat baller 7:50 PM - 19 December, 2007
i guess i am the drama king LOL
sixxx 8:28 PM - 19 December, 2007
grand t gets the award for the most run-on sentences. :P
sixxx 8:28 PM - 19 December, 2007
and J_Static... there you go again with your crazy and wild fantasies. haha
J_Static 9:46 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
and J_Static... there you go again in my crazy and wild fantasies. haha


Whoa! This is where I draw the line, jokes over! LA MIGRA!
Sal_Flip 2:23 AM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
SWEET!!!!

I'm no longer the # OF PEOPLE STABBED AT YOUR GIG record holder for the year.


I had one this year and that was enough for me. Another DJ I know was doing a private party in a not so nice part of the city. A fight broke out and some pulled a gun and started shooting. 2 people got hit so did his mackie. Crazy stuff.
DJ-A 6:26 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^sometimes mackie's that i have used desirved to get shot...
The Little Trooper 7:44 PM - 20 December, 2007
About 5 years ago when I was working for a concert production company, we got a call from an underground venue (read: rave cave) saying they needed a sound and lighting setup for DJs every weekend. We had enough gear to more than satisfy their needs and cut a deal with them that we would install a system for $2000 a month. We set it up as a "leased install" where we left it set up all the time, and they gave us a key to the venue so we could have access to do maintenance. This was a great deal for us because we literally had this gear laying around, it was left over from a previous install that had renovated and scaled down their system (the VIP club in DC).

Specs for anyone who cares:
16 18" subs
8 15" + 1" horn tops running in bi-amp
4 3400W QSC amps, DBX processing
2 12" DJ monitors with a QSC amp
(they provided the booth equipment)
6 Martin scanners with a controller


3 weeks in and everything was going great. Venue was happy to have a crazy new system (their old set up was a bunch of mis-matched crap). They were getting bigger crowds and more popular DJs.

Then they decided after the 4th week we had given them too much because they were constantly telling DJs to turn it down. they wanted to cut the system and price in half. We agreed, so long as they paid full price the first month. We were really busy with events and didn't have time to go remove anything for another week. No big deal. The next week, week 6 into their lease, we made it out one day in the afternoon. The locks had been changed. We called the owner and his partners. Finally found out from a partner that the owner had skipped town to California, leaving his 2 partners no money to run the place.

With the locks changed we couldn't get in at our convenience anymore, so on Friday night we all met down the street at like 3am, after all our events had ended. We could tell the place was in full swing, and then after everyone in the company (12 of us) had arrived, we all went in and demanded to be paid our $3000 or the lease would be over effective immediately.

All they could come up with was $1000 in cash. So one of our guys went up to the DJ and explained what was going on. He was glad someone was standing up to them and could feel our pain, and also said they tried to pay him with a bag of coke instead of cash. He was happy to shut down.

From there we just started taking our stuff out piece by piece. What had taken 2 guys a full day to install and set up was back on the truck in under 90 minutes.
sixxx 7:54 PM - 20 December, 2007
lol @ a bag of coke.
J_Static 7:56 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
lol @ a bag of coke.


yea no shit, hope it was a nice bag
DJ-A 8:04 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^prob a bag with a 2 liter in it... but the "coke" was the special christmas edition with santa on it...
DJ-A 8:05 PM - 20 December, 2007
i'm sure the next week would have been a frozen turkey
J_Static 8:16 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
lol @ a bag of coke.


hahaha, "here's an 8ball and fifty bucks kid, now get to DJ'n!"
The Little Trooper 8:44 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
lol @ a bag of coke.


"Look kid I know we promised you $50, but this coke is worth way more than that, and it barely cost us a thing since we got a quantity. Now get to hustlin'"
DJ-A 8:49 PM - 20 December, 2007
and as soon as your addicted you'll keep coming back here to get more, and when your skills suck ass you'll keep coming back and we'll take all your money
sixxx 12:35 AM - 21 December, 2007
lol @ diet coke. hahahaha
DJ Silk 12:42 AM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
About 5 years ago when I was working for a concert production company, we got a call from an underground venue (read: rave cave) saying they needed a sound and lighting setup for DJs every weekend. We had enough gear to more than satisfy their needs and cut a deal with them that we would install a system for $2000 a month. We set it up as a "leased install" where we left it set up all the time, and they gave us a key to the venue so we could have access to do maintenance. This was a great deal for us because we literally had this gear laying around, it was left over from a previous install that had renovated and scaled down their system (the VIP club in DC).

Specs for anyone who cares:
16 18" subs
8 15" + 1" horn tops running in bi-amp
4 3400W QSC amps, DBX processing
2 12" DJ monitors with a QSC amp
(they provided the booth equipment)
6 Martin scanners with a controller


3 weeks in and everything was going great. Venue was happy to have a crazy new system (their old set up was a bunch of mis-matched crap). They were getting bigger crowds and more popular DJs.

Then they decided after the 4th week we had given them too much because they were constantly telling DJs to turn it down. they wanted to cut the system and price in half. We agreed, so long as they paid full price the first month. We were really busy with events and didn't have time to go remove anything for another week. No big deal. The next week, week 6 into their lease, we made it out one day in the afternoon. The locks had been changed. We called the owner and his partners. Finally found out from a partner that the owner had skipped town to California, leaving his 2 partners no money to run the place.

With the locks changed we couldn't get in at our convenience anymore, so on Friday night we all met down the street at like 3am, after all our events had ended. We could tell the place was in full swing, and then after everyone in the company (12 of us) had arrived, we all went in and demanded to be paid our $3000 or the lease would be over effective immediately.

All they could come up with was $1000 in cash. So one of our guys went up to the DJ and explained what was going on. He was glad someone was standing up to them and could feel our pain, and also said they tried to pay him with a bag of coke instead of cash. He was happy to shut down.

From there we just started taking our stuff out piece by piece. What had taken 2 guys a full day to install and set up was back on the truck in under 90 minutes.


I luv the gangsta!!!! 12 guys showing up on a busy night to either get paid or repo the gear...GANGSTA
marknonsense1 1:06 AM - 21 December, 2007
I alway ask for the money up front unless it's over a set min... I may even ask for it 2 weeks b4 if I know others may want that date. I once had a girl send her dad to ask for money back cause of the samething (Fighting) I was like sorry it's a flat rate then he said don't you think that's a bit much for only 1.7 hrs. I had to talk a lot about how they were getting a deal even after the fact that it was only less then 1/2 the time.

Long story short, they had someone try to jack me for my serato bag with over $3k in it. If It wasn't for my friend and his little friend I think he would of got it.

Now if people ask me to DJ in some parts I get the money way b4 and give my girl the address. If anything goes wrong I text and her and she'll have cops there within mins.
a DJ 2:02 AM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
I alway ask for the money up front unless it's over a set min... I may even ask for it 2 weeks b4 if I know others may want that date. I once had a girl send her dad to ask for money back cause of the samething (Fighting) I was like sorry it's a flat rate then he said don't you think that's a bit much for only 1.7 hrs. I had to talk a lot about how they were getting a deal even after the fact that it was only less then 1/2 the time.

Long story short, they had someone try to jack me for my serato bag with over $3k in it. If It wasn't for my friend and his little friend I think he would of got it.

Now if people ask me to DJ in some parts I get the money way b4 and give my girl the address. If anything goes wrong I text and her and she'll have cops there within mins.

Damn that sucks. They had someone try to jack you the same night? What exactly happened when he tried to take it? I'm not sure what to do about that. Rather not get a gun, cuz if someone is really desperate there's nothing I can do, but then again I don't wanna run the risk of being hurt myself. I might just get insurance but I'm just a kid and not doing DJing full time.
ChrisS 2:17 AM - 21 December, 2007
hahahah, thats philly for ya silk lol
marknonsense1 2:18 AM - 21 December, 2007
Nothing much he just asked for it and I ran like a little bitch...lol just playing I walked out faster and let the homie know he was coming. We talked for a quick min and he just turned around and walked back inside. I chill with some crazy ass people tho.
techjitsu 2:47 PM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
About 5 years ago when I was working for a concert production company, we got a call from an underground venue (read: rave cave) saying they needed a sound and lighting setup for DJs every weekend. We had enough gear to more than satisfy their needs and cut a deal with them that we would install a system for $2000 a month. We set it up as a "leased install" where we left it set up all the time, and they gave us a key to the venue so we could have access to do maintenance. This was a great deal for us because we literally had this gear laying around, it was left over from a previous install that had renovated and scaled down their system (the VIP club in DC).

Specs for anyone who cares:
16 18" subs
8 15" + 1" horn tops running in bi-amp
4 3400W QSC amps, DBX processing
2 12" DJ monitors with a QSC amp
(they provided the booth equipment)
6 Martin scanners with a controller


3 weeks in and everything was going great. Venue was happy to have a crazy new system (their old set up was a bunch of mis-matched crap). They were getting bigger crowds and more popular DJs.

Then they decided after the 4th week we had given them too much because they were constantly telling DJs to turn it down. they wanted to cut the system and price in half. We agreed, so long as they paid full price the first month. We were really busy with events and didn't have time to go remove anything for another week. No big deal. The next week, week 6 into their lease, we made it out one day in the afternoon. The locks had been changed. We called the owner and his partners. Finally found out from a partner that the owner had skipped town to California, leaving his 2 partners no money to run the place.

With the locks changed we couldn't get in at our convenience anymore, so on Friday night we all met down the street at like 3am, after all our events had ended. We could tell the place was in full swing, and then after everyone in the company (12 of us) had arrived, we all went in and demanded to be paid our $3000 or the lease would be over effective immediately.

All they could come up with was $1000 in cash. So one of our guys went up to the DJ and explained what was going on. He was glad someone was standing up to them and could feel our pain, and also said they tried to pay him with a bag of coke instead of cash. He was happy to shut down.

From there we just started taking our stuff out piece by piece. What had taken 2 guys a full day to install and set up was back on the truck in under 90 minutes.


I luv the gangsta!!!! 12 guys showing up on a busy night to either get paid or repo the gear...GANGSTA


'Gangsta' would have been some knee-capping and b!tch-slapping. This was a little more 'pimp-handed'. Nonetheless, it's a definite good look!
I would have loved to have seen the looks on the faces of the partiers!!!
The Little Trooper 5:29 PM - 21 December, 2007
They were just glad that it wasn't a raid
J_Static 8:41 PM - 21 December, 2007
The above situation with someone trying 2 jack u for ur serato stuff is why HEAT is always with me! But its legal cuz one of my boys just to mention a few who like 2 tag along is one of SF's finest, so I'm covered!

Plus I have access 2 direct #'s to the 911 system where its direct 2 an operator & none of this waiting BS!
sixxx 9:54 PM - 21 December, 2007
Me too!
a DJ 10:06 PM - 21 December, 2007
I wish everyone could have their own little cop friend and direct lines to 911. 911 is a joke in ya town..
J_Static 10:20 PM - 21 December, 2007
^Haha! Most of the forum cats here know I'm entering law enforcement & most of my cop friends are like family and treat me as one of their own!

If u have the correct #'s in SF, 911 is never a joke!