Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

As a competitor at WMC VJ Challenge

DJ Lazor 7:52 AM - 30 March, 2012
I was at competition at WMC VJ Challenge this year.

There were many technical problems during competition.
Some djs have been turned off music by mixing board guy, even it hasn't reached to 6minutes. -----If they have big digital clock in front of djs and audience it would be easy to check it.
Even speakers were so low and audience couldn't hear music well, then I turned up so that they could hear, organizer told me if I don't turn down volume, I will be disqualified. He told me that during I was scratching.
Mixing board guy could turn down if that ends up disqualified, but organizer told me that during mixing and scratching. Any dj could have been disturbed with that.

-----I heard even at beat matching competition earlier day some djs even couldn't monitor themselves.---------

As organizing decks, they only had two turntables and two CDJs, they didn't even ask which ones we use before competition. That concluded we didn't have no time to set up. It should have been organized better if they asked us forehand..

After turntable DJ finished then CDJ should be next in this case they only had 1 set each, so that they will have time to prepare. But some turntable dj then next dj also used turntable they started prepare after set had done, so some audience have left with that blank moment...

I respect how hard to organize big competition like this, though if they put a bit more effort, it would be a great competition. Everyone could have a good time if things goes smoother.

Let me hear what do you think.
tomatoslice 4:10 PM - 30 March, 2012
unfortunately, some Dj things are not run or setup by actual Djs.
that sounds like one of them.

what we need is a respected DMC or ITF type of group.
hopefully, something like the Vj Conference will become the standard and/or premiere event.

i foresee Vj competitions being even more popular than Dj battles ever were.
PopRoXxX 4:30 PM - 30 March, 2012
yay! ^^^^
tomatoslice 9:25 PM - 31 March, 2012
hey Lazor,
how many people were at the event?
every time i see footage for last years comp and this year it seems like not many people.
DJMark 9:37 PM - 31 March, 2012
Reminds me of that thread in the main DJ forum here that got filled up by a bunch of Angry Sound Dudes obsessing over "red lights".

I'm all for good technical practices, but clearly there's much more deep-seated issues going on with some "Sound Guys". Guessing that with some of them, they might be in bands and there might be some of that old "DJ-Musician" feud at play.
DJ DisGrace 10:12 PM - 31 March, 2012
Quote:
old "DJ-Musician" feud

there is some hugging that needs to get done (NM)
DJ Lazor 10:52 PM - 31 March, 2012
Hey tomatoslice, I agree with you that. VJ competition is being more popular though there were like 30-50 people include Vdjs at WMC... place is not small, so it seems like almost empty there. So we needed more audience to cheer us up. I heard Beat matching and Scratch competition were more people there the other day.
tomatoslice 11:00 PM - 31 March, 2012
a "Beat matching competition"...that trips me out. there must be something more.
is it a "mix" competition or just a straight up "show me that you can match beats better than the next guy" competition?
i think i'd have to see it to know what it is because the latter just seems crazy to me.
DJ Lazor 11:01 PM - 31 March, 2012
Hey tomatoslice, I agree with you that. VJ competition is being more popular though there were like 30-50 people include Vdjs at WMC... place is not small, so it seems like almost empty there. So we needed more audience to cheer us up. I heard Beat matching and Scratch competition were more people there the other day.
DJ Lazor 11:04 PM - 31 March, 2012
Sorry for this duplicated post up there, I don't know how to delete...
Beat Matching competition seems just match bpm or something lol.

Mix Competition is a way better.
tomatoslice 11:04 PM - 31 March, 2012
omg, lazor has a time machine!!
DJ Lazor 11:06 PM - 31 March, 2012
Sorry for this duplicated post up there, I don't know how to delete...
Beat Matching competition seems just match bpm or something lol.

Mix Competition is a way better.
Demixl 12:31 PM - 11 September, 2019
Hahaha, dude, I thought you are having a challenge that is related to youtube, and you will show a video like www.youtube.com and you'll talk what you have to do, you know, things like that. Anyway, it is interesting, you think Vdjs are going to become more popular than DJ battles.
tomatoslice 4:30 PM - 5 October, 2019
i don't think a VDJ competition will EVER be more popular than a dj battle (at least from a dj side)...people that know nothing of dj skills may be more interested in video tho.