Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Poll: What tools do you use to convert videos?

marx 5:18 AM - 19 December, 2007
you have to add to the poll:

tmpgenc

super converter
D-Twizzle 5:21 AM - 19 December, 2007
Sony Vegas!
Matt G 5:33 AM - 19 December, 2007
marx, put one of those in as "Other". If enough people put it in as other then it'll get automatically added as a selectable option I think.
marx 5:52 AM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
marx, put one of those in as "Other". If enough people put it in as other then it'll get automatically added as a selectable option I think.

done
DJMaxMusic 1:00 AM - 20 December, 2007
FCP for custom edits.
VisualHub for conversions.
Handbrake for DVD conversion
djmelny 4:40 AM - 20 December, 2007
I found a new one and is the best so far....Actually a video editor show it to me FFMPEGX it work nice....but got it give to handbrake not bad
LaJollaDJs 6:19 AM - 21 December, 2007
There should be 4 polls.

1. MAC OS : From DVD

2. MAC OS : From separated .VOB music videos already on hard drive (I use VisualHub)

3. XP/VISTA : From DVD

4. XP/VISTA : From separated .VOB music videos already on hard drive
Dj Silver Glass 8:51 PM - 22 December, 2007
Ripping - ImTOODvd Ripper
Converting - SUPERconverter
Video Creation/ Editing/ Some Conversion - Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects
QECRUSH 5:41 AM - 23 December, 2007
EASY CD CREATOR 10 - WORKS PERFECT! Rips MPEG-4 WITH AAC CODEC! Takes about 25 mins to Cache the DVD and about 4 hours to rip it. The final folder size is a hair under 1000MB in size too.
Demon 10:21 AM - 26 December, 2007
VHS to Beta to Snapz Pro X. Yall cant fade my quality!
DJ_Rambo 6:16 AM - 27 December, 2007
Ripping to VOB - Smart Ripper 2.41
mp4 encoding - Sorenson SQUEEZE and Vegas Pro 8 (both do h264 with aac)
editing - Vegas Pro 8
djsteel 10:27 AM - 28 December, 2007
This poll is cool.
Killbill 7:45 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
editing - Vegas Pro 8

@DJ_Rambo, I didn't see the h264 option when using Sorenson Squeeze? Can you give me a screenshot of your settings. Also does it allow encoding in batch?

Question for anyone: Who's using quicktime pro? Does it have the option to convert from VOB to h.264? Or maybe does it allow you to rip straight from DVD to h.264? I was thinking of upgrading to quicktime pro.

So far i'm using:
DVD decrypter to rip dvd's into VOB
SUPER: to convert(it doesn't work 100%). Handbrake doesn't at all for me.
DJ_Rambo 12:01 AM - 29 December, 2007
Advanced Video Coding (AVC), is also known as H.264, and thank god, yes squeeze does batch.. I will try to get you a screen shot as soon as I get a minute (may take a few days, Im kinda swamped with the holiday)
djmelny 4:49 PM - 29 December, 2007
i have over 200 videos is there a program were i can just zip it and do it at once...convert,,,,,from mpg to mpg4
DJ Lil Vito 5:59 PM - 29 December, 2007
Quote:
i have over 200 videos is there a program were i can just zip it and do it at once...convert,,,,,from mpg to mpg4

Are you using a mac?
djsteel 12:56 AM - 30 December, 2007
Visual Hub for mac or Magic video converter
teetrance 5:58 AM - 2 January, 2008
what settings do you guys use for Magic video converter?
dj syko 9:46 AM - 2 January, 2008
what program converts dvd movie (vob) to mpeg4?
DJ Grandpa 11:41 AM - 2 January, 2008
Well, I'm new to Mac... What program do you use for easy ripping DVD (Handbrake is't easy)? I have VisualHub for converting to MP4.
djmelny 7:04 PM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Are you using a mac?

using mac 2 months old...somebody say to use final cut....and like zip it
djmelny 7:05 PM - 2 January, 2008
whats the defaulft mode for mpg4 example from mpg to mpg4 what config should i use
gmoney1975 11:06 PM - 2 January, 2008
I have all my files ripped to VOB already. I downloaded Handbrake, so I could utilize the scratch recommended settings (plug-in), but it won't recognize the .VOB file. They show up in the 'Input' line, but I get an error message. I deleted the other files (VIDEO_TS...) that are ripped with the VOB file (2 or 3 other files each time I rip a VOB), so I guess that is the issue (handbrake is looking for one of those identifying menu files...which I don't need, so delete...cuz I don't want to rename 3 or 4 files for every VOB). Any suggestions?
BTW, I have had good success with imToo MPEG convertor (which I purchased a few months back), however it does not offer increased 'Key Frame' settings. This is an issue because when I cue up tracks mid-point or do instant doubles, it takes the video a few seconds to 'catch up' with the audio position.. so I thought I would give handbrake a try.
Dj_KaGeN 4:08 AM - 3 January, 2008
Handbrake is seemingly worthless to me also.... I have a ton of .VOB [in serious need of converting] and handbrake refuses to convert and also gives no error log..

I need a BATCH process... Handbrake is only good for one at a time..
DJBIGWIZ 8:25 AM - 3 January, 2008
Actually, with Handbrake, you can (at least on the ver. I'm using for MAC) add more .VOB's in the Queue using the "Add to Queue" button or the short cut (command + B)
Matt G 10:08 PM - 3 January, 2008
Handbrake is designed for ripping and encoding from DVDs, so it needs all the extra files in the VIDEO_TS directory. It's no good for converting lone VOB files (if it even can?).
LaJollaDJs 8:29 PM - 4 January, 2008
Can serato please release the BEST batch process for Mac using Visual Hub to convert lone VOBs?

It takes SO long to convert that I don't ever want to have to do it over again.

Also, I currently have my VOBs titled as follows:

Artist - Title [ 100 BPM - DVD Album - Genre].VOB

Is there a mac tool that can fill in my MP4 tags from the file name once I'm done with the conversion process?
LaJollaDJs 8:30 PM - 4 January, 2008
Sorry...

I just saw this post that answers some of my questions:

www.scratchlive.net
DJ REMINISE (NEW ZEALAND) 10:57 AM - 8 January, 2008
Hi im rippin my dvds to vob format,Im wanting to rip my videos to the best quality I can get.Is vob the best quality?ive compaired it to mpeg2 on big screens & vob is heaps sharper.cheers
D-Twizzle 3:49 PM - 8 January, 2008
video-sl doesn't currently support vob or mpeg1/2. you will need to transcode to mp4 for now.
Matt G 9:28 PM - 8 January, 2008
VOB essentially is MPEG-2. When you rip your DVDs to VOB you're probably leaving the video data unchanged, but when you rip them to MPEG-2 you're probably reencoding them (possibly at a lower bitrate) which will lower the quality.

Either way, D-Twizzle is right, VIDEO-SL currently does not support MPEG-2 so neither will play. At this stage it's best to transcode to MPEG-4 or h.264 depending on the power of your computer.
Killbill 9:52 PM - 8 January, 2008
Quote:
At this stage it's best to transcode to MPEG-4 or h.264 depending on the power of your computer.

Wonderful, I think it's the best format/codec to use.
DJBIGWIZ 10:04 PM - 8 January, 2008
Matt, out of MPEG-4 and h.264, which do you recommend?

I've been using h.264.
Matt G 11:16 PM - 8 January, 2008
I believe it can depend on how powerful your computer is, but my pick would be h.264 in an mp4 container with careful attention to getting the keyframe spacing right. Second to that would be a specific MPEG-4 codec in a container that matches best with it. An example might be Apple's MPEG-4 codec in an mp4 container, or XVid or DivX in an avi container.

h.264 will require more processing power than an MPEG-4, but will give higher quality video for the same file size.

When going for an MPEG-4 codec I believe the choice of container is important because the playback tools (Quicktime and whatever plugins you've got installed for Quicktime) are optimised better or worse for different combinations. So while for example Quicktime might be happy to play XVid inside an avi, it might be less happy to play XVid inside an mp4. The exact combinations of MPEG-4 codec to container that work best are beyond my current knowledge though.
DJBIGWIZ 12:54 AM - 9 January, 2008
Thx. here is how I've been ripping:

/Users/DJBIGWIZ/Desktop/NSP.mp4
Length(s) 239.99 (Samples: 11519507, Timescale: 48000)
Size 65.01 MB
Movie Tracks:
VideoType: avc1, (
AVC CodingAVC Coding) 720x480
Component 1) ireP, H.264 (Perian) v.30002, Decompresses video stored in H.264 format.
Component 2) lppa, H.264 Decoder v.40004, Decompresses images stored in the H.264 format.
Audio Tracks:
AudioType: mp4a (48000kHz, 16bit)
Component 1) lppa, MPEG-4 Audio v.10008, MPEG-4 Audio Decompressor component
Frame rate: 23.98 per second
Keyframes: 409 (min: 1, max: 16,avg: 14.0)

My specs are
MBP ver. 10.4.11
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz RAM

do you think these are the best specs?
Matt G 3:24 AM - 9 January, 2008
I'm not the expert, but it's looking good to me. H.264 (AVC) inside an mp4 container, and good keyframe spacing (average of 14).
DJBIGWIZ 3:45 AM - 9 January, 2008
cool.. thx
dj syko 9:44 AM - 9 January, 2008
handbrake works you just gotta do some work in the beginning,
pick chapter 1 to 1 then save as (name of artisr and song ) and select save as type =mp4
then quere it
then select 2 of 2 and save as (name of artisr and song ) and select save as type should still be mp4
and que this also when your done naming em all then click on encode and let it do the rest , when it's done 10 hours later you will have all 40 or so tracks in mp4 format and seperated by chapters and labled by artist and song .
when you are naming em , goto promo only's website and look up the video you are ripping and click on printer friendly version , use this as a refrence, you can copy paste the name or song and artist (so you don't even have to type in the info just copy , paste)
also some of the songs will say chapters 2,3
when they do then on handbrake instead of putting 2 - 2 . you enter 2 - 3 and the next one stays the same 3 to 3 unless its 3,4 on the promo only list ,
it's really pretty easy , and the computer does most of the work don't forget to enter the v-sl preset.
j_dim 7:50 PM - 10 January, 2008
Still dont get how you guys get Handbrake to convert the PO videos without the end part of the video getting cut off.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:40 AM - 15 January, 2008
doh
First time with handbrake and cant get it to work :(
Elbon 11:31 PM - 18 January, 2008
Handbrake sucks! Anyone know of a program that will convert AVI files to the rquired by video-sl?? If so could you post it up on here along with the settings you use. Thanks :)
DJ Mad Matt 11:38 PM - 18 January, 2008
You could try Xilisoft Video Converter 3 .. Thats what I have and it converts most of what I have
Elbon 12:02 AM - 19 January, 2008
is that freeware?? And what settings are you using for the vids to work on video-sl?
DJ Mad Matt 12:15 AM - 19 January, 2008
Its free to try ... like $35 to buy ... These are how my vids are encoding ... not sure if its a good setting to use or not ... waiting to find out from some others what they think ..

C:\Video Rips to h264\CHEMICAL BROTHERS F-Q-TIP Galvanize.mp4
Length(s) 202.60 (Samples: 18234216, Timescale: 90000)
Size 55.75 MB
Movie Tracks:
VideoType: avc1 (h264 encoded by FFMP), 640x480
Component 1) lppa, H.264 Decoder v.40004, Decompresses images stored in the H.264 format.
Audio Tracks:
AudioType: mp4a (48000kHz, 16bit)
Component 1) lppa, MPEG-4 Audio v.10008, MPEG-4 Audio Decompressor component
Frame rate: 29.97 per second
Keyframes: 35 (min: 107, max: 238,avg: 171.8)
Elbon 12:48 AM - 19 January, 2008
i had similar settings like that but yours seem alot worse than mine.. I received a reply from Matt G stating:

the keyframes in that file are really far apart (average of 105 frames apart, where optimal is around 20), which puts a lot more pressure on your CPU. Coupled with your CPU being below the minimum system requirements, I think that explains why you're getting stuttering.

The Pentium D CPUs are a lot less powerful than the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo CPUs, which makes the GHz measure of them a little misleading.

There's an article on converting DVDs using Handbrake that might be helpful: www.scratchlive.net

Otherwise, in whichever program you're using to do the conversions, you'll want to look out for keyframe settings and try for a setting of a keyframe every 20 or so frames.

Also, look to see if you've got VIDEO-SL configured to use the largest buffers you can. That will help too.
Elbon 12:50 AM - 19 January, 2008
or check this post mad matt:

www.scratchlive.net
Elbon 1:03 AM - 19 January, 2008
Matt G,
I converted a VOB file i had in Handbrake exactly as described and the frames is an average of 50.... isnt it ment to be 20?? what the?? cant wait til video-sl can play avi files :) if ever..
DJ Mad Matt 1:04 AM - 19 January, 2008
Damn ... Well .. I'm not sure how to adjust the keyframes in that program so that might have been $35 down the toilet.

My biggest issue is I have like 4,000 Vids ripped already to tons of different formats

mpeg1
mpeg2
divx
avi
(few vob's)
mov

etc. I need a batch program that I can set up that will allow me to load a complete directory and no matter what type of file it was originally, it will spit it out in h.264 mp4 properly tweaked for serato.
Elbon 1:21 AM - 19 January, 2008
DJ mad matt,
My exact problem, I am sure we are not alone on this one.
anyone out there have a converter or knows of one that they have used to convert avi files and had it work in video-sl??
Matt G 10:16 PM - 20 January, 2008
Quote:
Matt G,
I converted a VOB file i had in Handbrake exactly as described and the frames is an average of 50.... isnt it ment to be 20?? what the?? cant wait til video-sl can play avi files :) if ever..

Elbon, keyframe spacing of 50 is much better than 200+ :) It may well be good enough to get decent performance.

VIDEO-SL can play avi files now. Possibly you don't have the necessary codecs installed. Try playing the same files in Quicktime and see if they work. If not then it might help to install the Divx codec from www.divx.com
DJ Mad Matt 12:29 AM - 25 January, 2008
What company makes the "Super" Program? better yet ... What is the official site?
Elbon 3:15 AM - 25 January, 2008
Matt G installed that codec and still doesnt work, plus i installed a whole heap of other codecs and still nothing..
Julius 3:34 AM - 26 January, 2008
anyone here uses promo only. when I convert some tacks even when it shows that it is only on one track only half the video coverts so I have to use 2 tracks from the dvd then at that point I get all the video for that track converted plus the 2nd track. Anyone has this problem?
DJ Mad Matt 11:04 PM - 26 January, 2008
Quote:
What company makes the "Super" Program? better yet ... What is the official site?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller Bueller Bueller ... hahahaha
D-Twizzle 11:30 PM - 26 January, 2008
i'm sure google could have helped you
www.erightsoft.com
DJ Mad Matt 11:39 PM - 26 January, 2008
hmmmm ... thats the one I downloaded first and AVG picked the exe up as being a virus. When i googled it there were a few that had the name "super" in them.
DJ Mad Matt 1:00 AM - 27 January, 2008
Which software allows you to batch and also has the proper keyframe settings? Im at a loss .. I cant get anything to convert properly.
Julius 10:07 AM - 27 January, 2008
I just got a program for $45 that looks like its working great to convert my music video's called Aimersof DVD Ripper. It is easy to work with but takes a long time to convert. for a DVD that I have with about 40 songs on it, it's taking about 35 hours. But the cool thing about is that you can have it set with all the songs and names to rip. It can do the hole CD for you with track numbers. so just drop the cd and come back later to see the finish work.
DJ Ambassador Jr. 1:26 AM - 29 January, 2008
For those of you using Macs who are ripping DVDs, you can also get good results with Roxio Toast 8 by using the 'Media Browser' (in Toast) to export DVD clips to Quicktime H.264 format (and other formats as well) with lots of advanced encoding options including custom keyframe spacing.
Brevin 1:16 AM - 30 January, 2008
i just spoke with a rep at screenplayvj.com and he told me all i need to do is download mpeg-2 from apple in order to click and drag their videos into serato (rather than ripping and converting) does this guy know what he is talking about?
Brevin 1:27 AM - 30 January, 2008
i just spoke with a rep at screenplayvj.com and he told me all i need to do is download mpeg-2 from apple in order to click and drag their videos into serato (rather than ripping and converting) does this guy know what he is talking about?
Brevin 1:32 AM - 30 January, 2008
Brevin 1:35 AM - 30 January, 2008
VJ Justin Allen 1:40 AM - 30 January, 2008
I am sure someone will tell you not to get too excited posting here. I know that video is exciting, but please control yourself!

Also I answered your question in another post you made.
DJ Mad Matt 1:43 AM - 30 January, 2008
Doug Howard is the one you need to talk to at ScreenPlay ... I havnt called him yet to talk to him about this but, plan on doing it soon. Actually Id rather get the vob's or better yet mov's done the good way so I dont have to convert them.
matt212 2:09 AM - 30 January, 2008
Damn Brevin....you should read up on that.
en.wikipedia.org
Funkytownstopsix 2:27 PM - 1 February, 2008
In case anyone wants to know what I did here it is. I have a PC and it worked on my dual core and my P4 with no issues. Videos run on Vista and XP using SLV

I use a free program called DVD Shrink to rip the DVD's and you can do it by chapters or take what you want, Promo Only has issues becasue sometimes they have 2 vob files for one video. You can reaurthor and make them one. It rips fast and is very stable.

Then I use a program that I recommend to anyone that does not understand containers and codecs called Super C , that program is the shit and it's also free and it does all kinds of conversions. I just wish it ripped directly from the DVD via chapters.

As A PC guy I tried lots of programs but this combo is the best that I found to work for me. Every PC is diffrent so try and find your combo or that one program,,, like Im too ripper is damn good but it didn't rip the correctly every time, may due to coverting directly from DVD.. If you are like me,,,,, I don't want to pay for shit as I just brought the mixer and the plug in and now videos.

Just so you know I never got handbreak to work correctly even with serato settings. Anyway good luck and I hope this helps someone.
Dj onyx 3:54 PM - 1 February, 2008
Quote:
In case anyone wants to know what I did here it is. I have a PC and it worked on my dual core and my P4 with no issues. Videos run on Vista and XP using SLV

I use a free program called DVD Shrink to rip the DVD's and you can do it by chapters or take what you want, Promo Only has issues becasue sometimes they have 2 vob files for one video. You can reaurthor and make them one. It rips fast and is very stable.

Then I use a program that I recommend to anyone that does not understand containers and codecs called Super C , that program is the shit and it's also free and it does all kinds of conversions. I just wish it ripped directly from the DVD via chapters.

As A PC guy I tried lots of programs but this combo is the best that I found to work for me. Every PC is diffrent so try and find your combo or that one program,,, like Im too ripper is damn good but it didn't rip the correctly every time, may due to coverting directly from DVD.. If you are like me,,,,, I don't want to pay for shit as I just brought the mixer and the plug in and now videos.

Just so you know I never got handbreak to work correctly even with serato settings. Anyway good luck and I hope this helps someone.

Yup! This One is confined to be working on PC's. For some reason I'm having problem with DVD Decrypter for having audion unsync when converted to MP4. Thanks funk!
m0nster 3:57 PM - 1 February, 2008
If anyone wants to try using autoMKV i suggest it. It's great for pc's, and does x264.

forum.doom9.org
Dj Mayhem 10:14 AM - 12 February, 2008
Quote:
i'm sure google could have helped you
www.erightsoft.com

This website looks so shady, im a little worried...
Dj Mayhem 7:22 PM - 12 February, 2008
how big are your guys mp4's usually? if i set to 2500 and 20 keyframe interval? audio is 160kbps

My first attempt created a larger file than the original :P oops.

My second created a 133mb file (compared to a 200mb vob).

I think automkv is working best for me, does anyone havce a xml profile they could send me?

Thanks for everything so far guys, you have a great community here.
Funkytownstopsix 7:24 PM - 12 February, 2008
Most of mine are around 55mb to 85mb..
djchrismix 8:55 PM - 16 February, 2008
I am having a problem with visual hub for mac, no matter what settings I make, I seem to not be able to get higher than audio at 165kbps. Also, if I use higher than the standard quality, the file is almost 100MB.

Can someone please post their settings for visual hub for mac that is producing files with higher than 165kbps audio and total file size in a decent range of 50-60MB.

Thanks.
djpuma_gemini 8:29 AM - 17 February, 2008
Im having the same problem. SSL sees the bitrate as 128 it sounds better than 128 but id like to have 192 or 320 even better.
djpuma_gemini 5:54 PM - 17 February, 2008
OK I took the original file and used quicktime pro to convert one at 224 and the other at 320. Loaded the vids into ssl built overviews and they show as 224 and 320.
I also have my other video from visual hub. SO we have 3 of the same vids with 128, 224 and 320. When I load them into ssl and checkout the waveforms. I don't see a difference from those 3 audio tracks.

Maybe Im wrong, but I don't think it matters if you set the bitrate higher with visual hub or quicktime, the file size does get bigger but the waves are the same.
Ill have to add them to audacity and check out the spectrum of each track to see if there is a difference.
Dj Mayhem 7:06 PM - 17 February, 2008
I could be wrong here, but you probably wont SEE a difference in ssl with the wave forms, MAYBE in audition or something where you can really zoom in. But the only other way to tell is filesize and what you hear.
Nappa 1:18 PM - 21 February, 2008
Has anybody tried the DVD to MP4 Converter

link here:
(www.macvideoconverter.com)

I used the trial and is seems to work a little faster than visual hub. It has ID3 tag support, Batch conversion, and a lot of conversion options
djsteel 1:05 AM - 1 March, 2008
No but if it works let me know I'll get it too if you like it and let you know what I think.
andygatr 8:50 PM - 1 March, 2008
I bought DVD to MP4 Converter and the registration code didnt work. I'm waiting on a report back from the support team.

I also tried to download HandBrake, and all it does when I open the DMG is bounce up and down on my toolbar and disappear. It doesnt install, it doesnt load, nothing.

Anyone else having this problem?
djsteel 9:42 PM - 1 March, 2008
Hand brake is ok but visual hub files work so much smoother.
Dj onyx 3:04 AM - 3 March, 2008
+1 on visual hub.
DJ Cykophuk 9:21 PM - 4 March, 2008
Quote:
Has anybody tried the DVD to MP4 Converter

link here:
(www.macvideoconverter.com)

I used the trial and is seems to work a little faster than visual hub. It has ID3 tag support, Batch conversion, and a lot of conversion options

Do you know the max audio quality?
dj rockola76 3:00 PM - 9 March, 2008
Quote:
editing - Vegas Pro 8

Hello, I just purchase the Sony Vegas Platinium edition, wich cost me $ 130,
I'm new on the market,and I don't no anything about converting videos, Is the vegas will do all the work? or I need another program? I have a Promo only videos wich are VOB format, CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROCESS OF CONVERTING? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FIRST? The version of Vegas have two diferents parts DVD architect studio /Vegas Movie With one is the one I need?

CAN SOME BODY WALK ME TO THE PROCESS OF CONVERTING??????

THANKS

ROCKOLA76
Demon 7:38 PM - 9 March, 2008
Anyone have this and rip?

www.amazon.com

Question is, this dvd has features where you can change audio/video angles. etc...Can you rip the same video with the different remixes, acapella, etc?
djsteel 7:12 PM - 10 March, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
editing - Vegas Pro 8

Hello, I just purchase the Sony Vegas Platinium edition, wich cost me $ 130,
I'm new on the market,and I don't no anything about converting videos, Is the vegas will do all the work? or I need another program? I have a Promo only videos wich are VOB format, CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROCESS OF CONVERTING? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FIRST? The version of Vegas have two diferents parts DVD architect studio /Vegas Movie With one is the one I need?

CAN SOME BODY WALK ME TO THE PROCESS OF CONVERTING??????

THANKS

ROCKOLA76

Hey bro its pretty easy. Vegas is an editor it can convert but you won't want to do it that way.

I'm not a PC Expert but what I use for PC right now is magic Video converter which only batch converts files. I have a friend that uses DVDRIPPER PLATINUM with this you can just putthe dvd in and it will convert the vob's to MP4's

If I used a PC thats what I would use.
Rockstar JC Flores 9:49 PM - 27 March, 2008
I tried using dvdripper, but it only came up with one file from the whole dvd, i got audio but no video? Does anyone know how come?
djsteel 11:05 AM - 28 March, 2008
Yes we know how come.
Funkytownstopsix 12:15 PM - 28 March, 2008
lol......humor....
Rockstar JC Flores 1:55 AM - 30 March, 2008
lol @ dj steel. well dude, i'm a big fan of yours, i been watching your videos and i saw the comparison you made between vdj and serato live, big f*n difference. lol. i just bought a macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram, do you still use the same program to rip dvds as 1gigs, from your promo only discs? also what program would you recommend be used to remix or mashup videos? lol, oh and do you create your own instrumentals since the videos from promo only don't come with intros, at least most of em, cuz i know some do.
thanks for the humor,
JC
Rockstar JC Flores 2:20 AM - 30 March, 2008
Also, as for video, i'm a complete noob, so I know i'm gonna get alot of smirks, "dude are you serious" looks when reading this, but I'm new to video sl, and I really wanna know if i got everything right from reading the video forums.

Also, I will post the specs up, so you guys know what I'm working with, and could recommend the best possible for video ripping and that I can play vids with no problems.

Mac Book Pro. not sure what version, but here goes:
2 gigs currently installed but i bought 2 (2 gig sticks at 800mhz pc 6400)
1 tb, harddrive with firewire 400 and 800
160internal harddrive
2.4ghz,
256mb geforce 8600gt
2 cdj1000mk3's,
rane ttm57sl mixer
and pioneer 909 as a backup in case i have to mix cds, or when i do vinyl with the regular sl-1 box, and
2 vestax pdx1000 mk1's with stanton .305 needles and ortofon digiwax needles.

and i keep reading goods and bads with handbrake and visual hub, can anyone recommend the best? also, since i had virtual dj before, all my files are .vob right now, and i keep reading that either re-ripping the dvds with one file at a time is the best but takes forever and then doing with this other program as a batch, works good.

also, can anyone point out the thread on how to set up the programs?
my bad for being a complete noob, but i got tired of using vdj, and the only reason i hung on so long with it was the sampler, since i can play my drops independenetly from the decks.
lvmez 7:07 AM - 30 March, 2008
use mactheripper for promo only vids and then use visual hub. easy and videos are perfect. that's what i use and besides it being a pain in the ass to convert videos, it's not that hard. steel and sixxx posted a step by step.
Dj Mayhem 10:40 PM - 30 March, 2008
its so much easier on mac to do the video encoding its silly. but thats because of the mac community, and because of the format serato prefers.

I still preffered ripping on pc because of lmoffice.com (unfortunately their server is down at the moment)

but it will title all your videos for you, and combines the chapters that promo only creates for intros to songs. i saves SOOOO MUCH TIME. especially when you are just starting to rip in your collection.
Rockstar JC Flores 5:02 PM - 31 March, 2008
thanks guys for hittin me back, thats whats up. so mac the ripper and visual hub. So i'm assuming that i rip the promo only dvds into mactheripper and then use visual hub for encoding or converting into mp4? right? nice, ok, lvmez could you hit me up where i can that step by step from steel and sixxx? like keywords or so that i can their posts in the forums? and dj mayhem, nice dude, so imoffice works for windows? does it also work for mac? see cuz i have another laptop, its a core 2 duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, 160gb harddrive, 1.67 ghz, and windows xp media center as os, this is the laptop i currently run serato on, until i can finish reading upon the mac, lol, still nervous in trying mac out, but you guys have pointed out alot of good stuff about it.

thanks for the prompt respose,
and look forward to hearin back from ya,
JC
Dj Mayhem 12:04 AM - 2 April, 2008
There is not a mac version. their webserver is back up.
skinnyguy 7:10 PM - 7 April, 2008
i guess nobody uses/used Freez?
djykcor1 2:27 AM - 10 June, 2008
please someone respond to this...
scratchlive.net
Demon 3:13 AM - 10 June, 2008
No. Do a damn search.
Dj Mayhem 1:38 AM - 11 June, 2008
/ fail
djykcor1 6:03 PM - 13 June, 2008
been doin searches and nobody gives a straight answer especially on the pc side of things...
itchie 8:32 PM - 13 June, 2008
handbrake sucks...
djykcor1 12:00 AM - 14 June, 2008
so then tell me what to use,ill use anything that works...
Dj Mayhem 9:52 AM - 15 June, 2008
a mac.
Elbon 1:16 AM - 19 June, 2008
it is lame how you gotta convert your videos to a certain format!! simple as that!! scratch live is an awesome program, no doubt about it, even what they are achieving with video is awesome yet the whole converting Bullsh$t, thats definately for the tip, if virtual DJ can do it without converting vids then the team at serato should have no issues at all, just not sure what they are trying to do with video-sl, the damn thing should be able to play AVI's at a bare minimum LOL
Dj_KaGeN 1:57 AM - 19 June, 2008
you mean you don't live having to keep 2 libraries?
[1 for .mp4, the other for .VOB]

I fully understand.
DJ-Phat-AL 3:38 AM - 19 June, 2008
I have 4 different libraries.. I am running out of room quick.

Not cool..

but I have to say that MP4 is very portable though. Serato needs to improve quality of video output though.
PhoenixUK 1:11 AM - 26 June, 2008
I play mp4 vids, encoded at 3000k and 160 aac audio using handbrake. I playback at medium-high quality setting in VSL, and i gotta say, it's superb. A couple of my venues have supersized lcd projector screens, around the 120 inch mark, and the picture is perfect.

I use a macbook pro and the apple dvi-composite adapter. OSX 10.5.2.
VJ Nick 9:54 PM - 17 July, 2008
I've been using cinematize2 for pc. and it has worked out well. It is a convenient way to convert chapters too. I've been riping them to mpeg-4 format. When I load the next video though, the output video seizes up. I love Serato, but Virtual Vinyl never did this. It maybe something that I'm doing durring the compression proccess, but I don't know what?
-nick
VJ Nick 9:56 PM - 17 July, 2008
I meant... "It's a convenient way to COMBINE chapters" :)
-Nick
DVDJ ©RUSH 7:28 AM - 18 July, 2008
No probs here Nick Roonie G put me on to this about 4 years ago and it works great... I'll post my setting for mp4 shortly send me a pm to remind me...
PhoenixUK 2:28 AM - 20 July, 2008
Roonie G, now there's a blast from the past! That guy's a legend !
Bassick 11:27 PM - 31 August, 2008
Hey folks! I hear everyone uses about the same software for ripping. I just wanted to add this one to any peeps that need the DRM ripped from any protected iTunes media. Try Tunebite Platinum. It's $40 but works effeciently. That's it! Any questions, just hit me up!
PhoenixUK 1:37 AM - 4 September, 2008
So, how much commission you on from them? I hope it pays the legal fees !! Now back to the topic in hand .....
Dj Rocky 2:10 AM - 4 September, 2008
Thanks for the tip Bassick!
DJ Jon Brown 2:51 AM - 5 September, 2008
I see a lot of people are using Handbrake (props to who ever started the poll...awesome). I like handbrakes ease of use (the queue is great and no need for two programs a la mactheripper and visualhub solution). So, two questions...

1. I see some people say that the handbrake converts are not as smooth. Anyone using handbrake having an issue with smooth file playing?

2. I converted a video with a 2000 bitrate and got a file almost half the size of the 3000 bitrate setting. Do you think I'll see a noticeable difference with the smaller file. If so, will I see it on 50 inch plasmas or just on bigger screens where a projector is displaying the video.

Thanks for your help everyone. This forum is a huge help.

DJ Jon Brown
PhoenixUK 4:30 PM - 5 September, 2008
Hey Jon,

I use HB to rip from PromoOnly and Mixmash DVD's.

I rip at 2600, as i feel it is the best compromise between file size and quality. I play 6 nights a week, some venues have plasmas/lcd's and some have projectors. The files i use, ase generally way better quality than the in-house systems that some of the venues use for automation durin the day, and the only comments i have had about the quality have been about how good it is.

I have noticed the occasional stutter in encryption with HB, but it is rare, and could have been more due to the encoding PC being too overworked, rather than the software being at fault.

In conclusion, HB rocks, and i recommend 2600, and dont forget to use the extra settings in the serato .hb settings file.

Good luck.
matt212 5:42 PM - 5 September, 2008
I tried HB before I went with the Ripper/Hub combo. I decided to stick with the combo over HB because I noticed quality difference and playback difference.
PhoenixUK 6:03 PM - 5 September, 2008
Are you a mac or windows ssl user matt?
matt212 6:06 PM - 5 September, 2008
Mac
DJ Jon Brown 8:50 PM - 5 September, 2008
Hey Phoenix & Matt-

FYI-I'm a Mac user...not sure if it makes a difference. I see you Phoenix is a PC guy. Phoenix, I'm using the serato preset for handbrake and the only thing I planned on changing was the bitrate from 2000 to 2600 per your suggestion. You mentioned "extra settings". What do you mean by "don't forget to use the extra settings"?

Matt-What setting do you use in mactheripper and then more importantly, in VisualHub once you've ripped it?

Thank you guys so much...you're going to end up saving me a ton of time from having to figure it out on my own. Much appreciated!

Jon
matt212 10:28 PM - 5 September, 2008
Mac the Ripper doesn't really have settings, I just rip the individual chapters. As for Visual Hub, I use these settings. I used 2500 when I was using my Macbook, but since I got my Macbook Pro, I now convert at 3000 bitrate.

i78.photobucket.com
DJ Jon Brown 2:27 AM - 6 September, 2008
Matt-

You rock! Thank you very much!

I'm going to try both yours and Phoenix' methods and see how my laptop runs.

Thanks!

Jon Brown
PhoenixUK 5:54 PM - 6 September, 2008
Actually, i use a Macbook Pro 2.6 4gig running osx 10.5.2 :)

The only thing about those settings matt is the size .. 680x480 ?

I suppose it depends on what you are ripping from, but most dvd's are 720x576.
If you resize, you may get some quality loss.

I did try the ripper and hub route, but it seemed a lot of work, for not a lot of improvement.

Still, whatever works for you. If one thing worked for everyone, we'd all be bored !! ;)
DJ Jon Brown 7:21 PM - 6 September, 2008
Phoenix-

I had originally questioned whether your method would work for me because I thought you were using a PC (looked at your Forum Profile). This changes things a bit since I'm a Mac guy as well.

Just to be clear, I'm using the Handbrake VIDEO-SL preset. I will use the 2600 bitrate. Anything else I need to change. Size, "extra settings" that you mentioned, etc?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice.

Best, Jon
matt212 10:11 PM - 6 September, 2008
Yeah Phoenix...it's just a little more work for a little bit of improvement. What was a lot of work for me with handbrake was going back and checking every file to make sure the whole song was ripped and didn't bleed into the next track. The way it wouldn't correctly ripped the DVD's into the correct chapters was enough for me to stop using it.

As for the size...when we were all trying to figure the correct format for VSL, the 680x480 and 720x480 worked the best so I just stuck with that. Maybe I need to rethink now since I got the same MBP as you...except I'm running 10.5.4 with a 500GB internal HD. haha
PhoenixUK 4:09 AM - 7 September, 2008
I ran 10.5.4 and it gave me no end of problems so i had to time machine it back to 10.5.2.

I have not had any problems with handbrake like the chapter bleedng ones you describe.

Jonathan, make sure that you have "de-interlace" set to at least "slower", not sure if nathan updated the online .hb file for this, but apart from that, mine is the same as the .hb that you downloaded.

Unfortunately, things do perform slightly differently on everyones own setup, so it's mpossible for any of us to say .. "do this and it will work" but we're always happy to pass on anything that we have discovered, and i hope it helps you work out what works best for you.
djgaetano 2:23 AM - 2 October, 2008
Does any one know what is the easiest way to convert mov to mp4 and vob to mp4. I know some use HB. Hb has not been working for me. I run PC. I tried ImTooDvd. The problem I am having with that is now the file takes forever to drag from Hard Drive to the serato libray. Then once it is there the video seems to be lagging behind the audio a bit. I set all the rcommended setting, maybe I'm missing something.
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE??? I WOULD BE WILLING TO PUT SOMEONE ON A PAYROLL IF THEY CAN CONVERT ALL OF MY VIDEO FILES FOR ME. I'M IN THE PHILLY AREA? S.O.S.

Thanks in advance!
Dj Rocky 4:05 PM - 2 October, 2008
djgaetano, Get Visual hub. There are several threads explaining the settings on this.
lvmez 7:18 PM - 3 October, 2008
visual hub discontinued.
dj vmb 7:39 PM - 3 October, 2008
:(
Dj Rocky 9:58 PM - 3 October, 2008
Quote:
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE??? I WOULD BE WILLING TO PUT SOMEONE ON A PAYROLL IF THEY CAN CONVERT ALL OF MY VIDEO FILES FOR ME. I'M IN THE PHILLY AREA? S.O.S.

Do you have that many files?
djmelny 5:23 AM - 10 October, 2008
make that 2 i have also about 900gigs that i need to convert
Yona 2:16 AM - 27 October, 2008
Quote:
visual hub discontinued.

I was going to purchase it today but discovered the same thing. I already use HandBrake for ripping but want a more flexible program for conversions Does anyone have anyone other suggestions for conversion programs(for macs) or where to I can still find Visual Hub? Thanks
XRM5 11:08 PM - 14 November, 2008
On a Mac, I have the best luck ripping VOBs with Mac the Ripper, converting them to hires QuickTimes with MPEG Streamclip, doing whatever work I have to do on them, then exporting to mp4 using After Effects.

Adobe has different export options than all the QuickTime-based applications. It lets you get down into the iPod spec and tweak things with really good results.

I think if people really want to jump in the video game they should throw down the combined $1200 for educational versions of FCP studio and CS Production Premium. You might as well throw Ableton 7 on that list of required tools too. I know that's expensive, but this is an expensive game.
DJ-A 10:03 PM - 17 November, 2008
Quote:
I know that's expensive, but this is an expensive game.

That's the truth... it seems like getting something is never the question... it is when are you actually going to get it...

my advise: don't build your way up to getting what you really want. and don't buy cheap.

If your getting into DJ'n and want a RANE 57 then go buy it. You will kick yourself if you think about how much money you spent on other stuff while you were trying to afford it.

Buy Quality, buy it to last, treat it good.
Dont be cheap, you'll never be able to afford anything except shit if you get paid worth shit...
DJ Reaction 1:30 AM - 19 November, 2008
I use iSkySoft Video converter for my MAC, not sure if you can use it for PC but its a great program (not free) you can convert ANY video to mp4 or whatever else you want while being able to change all specifics about encoding etc..check it
D-Twizzle 3:12 AM - 19 November, 2008
nice to see reaction spinning videos now.. holla
PhoenixUK 6:38 AM - 23 November, 2008
Just an observation, in HB, if you have the "2 pass" set in the video settings, this seems to offset the video and audio slightly. I have had much better results with this UNTICKED, and i have noticed only a VERY slight difference in video quality, only after blowing it up on a 100" lcd projector screen :)

My vids are 2500k h.264 AAC, with all the rest of the settings as per the VSL template.
DJ FLAVOR 2:10 AM - 24 November, 2008
For EVERYONE using HandBrake <-----------------------------------

www.scratchlive.net
DJ MDX 2:23 AM - 30 January, 2009
Visual Hub seems to be no more - at least according their site.

So for Mac users what is the next best option.

I only need to go from MPEG2 as all my source files come to me already in this format.

I just used Handbrake and the Video-SL script but it does not seem to be the best quality.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
mizu 5:08 AM - 30 January, 2009
you van still run visual hub through the sourceforge link. This link
transcoderredux.svn.sourceforge.net

you will need to install xcode in order to run it. They have renamed it to filmredux. But it works the same if not better.
Lord Motavious 12:33 AM - 3 March, 2009
Im just started playing around with HandBrake. Does anyone know what the best setting is for Average Bitrate(kbps)?
matt212 12:58 AM - 3 March, 2009
DJ Tecniq 6:53 AM - 18 May, 2009
I don't know why no one has metioned this yet but I use a program called Total Video Converter it is the easiest most fastest program to convert video to all major formats. I just installed Video SL 1.1 and had probs viewing video's. Used total video converter to convert to mp4 format and works wonders the quality is amazing. It is not even listed in the poll and should be listed. You can even make the audio bitrate higher and maximize the audio sound for video's. It's literally the best program!
DJ Tecniq 6:56 AM - 18 May, 2009
Forgot to mention u can convert many video files at once using Total Video Converter it's the shizz
J Studda 7:26 PM - 18 May, 2009
is there a program that removes the DRM protection from vids off itunes
Funkytownstopsix 1:38 PM - 19 May, 2009
LOL Rookie...
J Studda 2:49 PM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:
LOL Rookie...

Thanks for the complement but still doesn't answer the question. Thought these forums were for dj's and vdj's to come to and have conversations and help each other out. Not giving away trade secrets but damn!! Yea i'm a NOOB to the video world... so what we all started somewhere. Now, if you can answer the question great, if not please don't ruin this thread with your ego sir greatness of dj'ing!! DAMN.
D-Twizzle 3:33 PM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:

Yes, but we're not suppose to talk about that on the forums.
J Studda 3:41 PM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, if you can will ya tell in an email? My e-mail is [email address removed] Thanks
DJ DisGrace 3:43 PM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:
You can even make the audio bitrate higher and maximize the audio sound for video's.

whoa.... don't waste ur time doing this Tecniq
Funkytownstopsix 3:59 PM - 19 May, 2009
Like I said rookie....they will ban you for that is all.. That use to be me a few years ago..Live an learn.... Dooo be doo be doooo.....
Funkytownstopsix 4:00 PM - 19 May, 2009
To answer your question I don't have a clue. But I bet if I wanted to I could find on the world wide web....
J Studda 4:51 PM - 19 May, 2009
Quote:
To answer your question I don't have a clue. But I bet if I wanted to I could find on the world wide web....

Thanks, got it
DJ Tecniq 12:14 AM - 21 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
You can even make the audio bitrate higher and maximize the audio sound for video's.

whoa.... don't waste ur time doing this Tecniq
Do you know of a better way? Please give your input, I just downloaded handbrake but haven't used it yet. Is that better? I only have the demo of video sl 1.1 cause i wanted to try it out first before I buy and I'm not using the 57
Funkytownstopsix 3:38 PM - 21 May, 2009
I think what DJ DisGrace is saying,,,,u can down on bitrate but not up. Audio quality will be lost. It's like taking a picture and blowing it up times two it will look like shit but you can down times two with no adverse effect picture looks fine but just smaller.
DJ Tecniq 9:49 PM - 26 May, 2009
Quote:
I think what DJ DisGrace is saying,,,,u can down on bitrate but not up. Audio quality will be lost. It's like taking a picture and blowing it up times two it will look like shit but you can down times two with no adverse effect picture looks fine but just smaller.
interesting, cause I have increased the volume on some videos and there is actually a huge difference, the waveform itself is even bigger than it used to be and the audio output is noticeably higher but not clipping
ChrisD 11:45 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, if you can will ya tell in an email? My e-mail is [email address removed] Thanks

J Studda,

Please don't use these forums to discuss activities of questionable legality.
J Studda 11:12 AM - 29 May, 2009
Ok no problem.
eye357 11:33 PM - 9 June, 2009
Quote:

Also how do I get Herion through the airport....LMFAO!!!!
Funkytownstopsix 3:27 AM - 10 June, 2009
UR Funny Eye ,,,,LMAO that was funny.... remember big brother is watching for key words so don't be suprised if you get a visit from you local DEA agent..
PhoenixUK 6:14 PM - 10 June, 2009
It's a good job he "deliberately" mis-spelt it then ;) Cunning as a fox :)
eye357 8:58 PM - 10 June, 2009
Yeah thats the ticket..I misspelled it ...thanks for the clean up PhoenixUK...made me look smart but we know the truth......lol. But as for Funky...as long as I am not as Dumb as Jerry Jones to actually brought back Adam (I am a shit'em gangster alcoholic) Jones. What a dummy Jerry Jones is!!!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS!!! LMFAO
DJ-Phat-AL 10:34 PM - 10 June, 2009
ok... it's old and only funny to you when trying to make fun of the cowboys.
eye357 1:00 AM - 11 June, 2009
come on phat al u really gonna cosign that move? Jerry snould sign O.J. too !!!
Millz 2:17 AM - 11 June, 2009
Go Steelers
DJ-Phat-AL 9:29 PM - 11 June, 2009
Eye... you crack you up... and that's about it.

I can see you hanging out with a bunch of people and you think you say something funny and you look around for people to be laughing with you and .... ** cricket sounds **

I can also see you doing the same thing and trying to do a high five with someone and they just look at you leaving you hanging...

or at least I would.
Funkytownstopsix 12:58 PM - 12 June, 2009
Eye knows a lot about the Cowboys and far to concerned to be a Giant's fan. Why is he watching every move,,,ahhuuuuhhhh he is a undercover Cowboys fan. He must be I don't know what happened in the off season with the Giants but he knows what color Jerry Jones piss is, u got to be close to know that,,,, you can't fool us...EYE your a Cowboys fan....
Funkytownstopsix 1:01 PM - 12 June, 2009
Last act like Plexeco Buress and shoot yourself.
Millz 4:31 PM - 12 June, 2009
Go Steelers ;)
Millz 4:31 PM - 12 June, 2009
...and Go Pens while Im @ it
eye357 5:45 PM - 12 June, 2009
pure evil guys u are...lol
DJ Jinnai 7:17 PM - 17 June, 2009
Ok I've just downloaded this free program called dvdvideosoft video to ipod converter. It can output to 640x480 AAC (HIGHEST SETTING). I'm doing a batch conversion of some files. The end result looks really nice, and is working PERFECT on video-sl (running the converted vids through the offline mode).

www.dvdvideosoft.com

see if that works for you guys. I'm liking the results on my side.

I'm running an Asus vista64 Intel Centrino 2 laptop, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9800m 512MB videocard.

Has not been tested on DRM files... only DRM-Free avi/poorly recorded mp4 files.
Disco_DJ 2:59 PM - 1 July, 2009
I neeed some help. I have 10,000 video files that we converted to mpeg2 that were originally used for Virtual DJ. Now we have switched to Scratch live. I tried to convert these files using compressor from final cut. The files convert flawlessly to h264 but the sound isn't converting with them? Quicktime pro also doesn't recognize the sound of the original mpeg2's? Is there a way to get the sound to work? Something with mux or demux? I don't understand this? Is there an easier program for mac that will do batch conversion to h264 from mpeg2? I can't get visual hub to work because I am running Tiger in my office, not leopard. I also tried handbrakewith no luck also.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Funkytownstopsix 5:05 PM - 1 July, 2009
If you have PC then most programs on these fourms can do what you want. Try MPeg Streamclip its a mac program, Swift tuned me on to it. if I have problems which I do with mac on conveting from time to time I use it and it works fine for the most part. I have the same issue with one video that Streamclip can't get the audio to work with all other work fine. If you do find a way to get it to work post it on here so we will know.
DJ Cykophuk 5:20 PM - 1 July, 2009
Quote:
I neeed some help. I have 10,000 video files that we converted to mpeg2 that were originally used for Virtual DJ.

Eric, I've found that mpeg2 files don't play well with Final Cut when it comes to bringing in the audio. I did a batch conversion to DV using Visual Hub (there is a as Final Cut preset), then imported to Final Cut to get around this.

Amos
Disco_DJ 6:08 AM - 4 July, 2009
Mpeg Streamclip works great and it is pretty fast too compared to other software I have tried. What are the best settings to get the most out of the videos? I know what The Rane Scratch Live guys say to make the settings but the videos just don't look as crisp as they do with Virtual DJ. For example I have a 3 minute mpeg 2 file that is 158mb. If I make the settings at 740x480 that should be a good ratio but then how big do i want to make the mpeg 4. I set it to best quality and it came out as 214.3mb. Would it be best to try t6o get the mpeg 4 around the same size?

Thanks, again,
Eric
Funkytownstopsix 8:13 PM - 4 July, 2009
Try adjusting the quality to get desired effect. Reduce quality to 50 percent and take it from there if you like the way it looks while played then you have found your settings.. I don't use it to covert much as I do all my converting on my pc. I dare not say what you need to set streamclip to as the video Gods will chime in. I will tell you who knows most about it and the would be A-swift he can tell you anything about it.... Good luck grasshopper.
BossRoss 5:26 AM - 28 July, 2009
Anybody ripping Promo Only Videos know how to get to the "Ambient" section on each disc? I know they have their own "title chapters" on the disc, but Handbrake doesn't read them? Had no issues whatsoever extracting the music videos themselves, just the three "ambient" video trax included on each disc. Anybody have/solve this issue?
Dj Wunder 2:39 PM - 31 August, 2009
Handbrake users: I see that the max audio quality is 160kbps, are we really ok with this? Bedroom Dj's please don't reply, I'm really concerned about this for nightclub use. Video is a nice add-on, but I'd never want to sacrifice the audio...I guess I'll find out at my next vid gig on saturday, but if someone could chime in before them and save me the on-the-job-testing that would be dope. Thanks
skinnyguy 6:23 PM - 31 August, 2009
supposedly 160 kbps on aac is equivalent to 320 kbps mp3
PhoenixUK 9:00 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:

Yeah, and Santa has the Easter Bunny as a pet !!

I believe it's pretty hard to get the quality up for audio in an mp4. There are apps that do it. like Sony Vegas for eg, but these are VERY expensive, and are not as configurable as handbrake for converting video.

I find it best to use an app that can demux etc. But then serato has issues reading the bitrates and bpm of the final muxed files.

Rock ---(Me)--- Hard Place !!

Handbrake produces excellent video results, and the audio is good, but not great.
I regularly use handbrake'd files in clubs, on Funktion 1 sound systems, and they sound ok.

Hope this helps.
Dj Wunder 9:17 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, and Santa has the Easter Bunny as a pet !!

I believe it's pretty hard to get the quality up for audio in an mp4. There are apps that do it. like Sony Vegas for eg, but these are VERY expensive, and are not as configurable as handbrake for converting video.

I find it best to use an app that can demux etc. But then serato has issues reading the bitrates and bpm of the final muxed files.

Rock ---(Me)--- Hard Place !!

Handbrake produces excellent video results, and the audio is good, but not great.
I regularly use handbrake'd files in clubs, on Funktion 1 sound systems, and they sound ok.

Hope this helps.

Aggh! It does help but Aggh! "O.K."? Don't know how I feel about "O.K." Sometimes with all this digital Dj'ing I forget what shit is supposed to sound like, then I throw on a record or a good CD and I'm like-WOW, are these the sounds/beats/dimensions/feeling of the music that I've been missing?
PhoenixUK 9:26 PM - 31 August, 2009
A 320k mp3 sounds great over any sound system. 160k AAC ... not so much.

I know there were originally issues with putting mp3 audio in an avi etc, but not sure what the status is now, but avi video is not as good as mp4 :(

Might be worth you getting the trial of Sony Vegas and converting a few vob's with it to see what you think?
Dj Wunder 9:28 PM - 31 August, 2009
Yeah I'm gonna do that. Rather try that out and maybe spend a few bucks on it than cringe when I drop a track
PhoenixUK 10:25 PM - 31 August, 2009
It's not really "cringe" bad ... customers don't notice, but hey, why buy the best software, laptop, mixer, amps and speakers, and settle for average audio quality ?!
Joshua Carl 10:41 PM - 31 August, 2009
160 aac is equal to 320 mp3

its been talked about plenty of times on here.

*its in Wiki
*one of the serato gurus validated it
Joshua Carl 10:42 PM - 31 August, 2009
question is... you have to question the ORIGINAL rip.
you cant shoe-shine a dirty boot and call it new
Dj Wunder 11:46 PM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
160 aac is equal to 320 mp3

its been talked about plenty of times on here.

*its in Wiki
*one of the serato gurus validated it

That's a fair statement. The topic has been so beat to death I forget that it really all depends on the ORIGINAL rip. I'm off to test. See y'all in a few!
Culprit 5:38 AM - 2 September, 2009
u guys are still using mp3s?!
DJDAMNAGE 7:22 AM - 7 September, 2009
whats mp3s? lol
skinnyguy 8:11 PM - 7 September, 2009
i use mp3s as coasters and to fix the uneven leg on my table =P
Millz 10:27 PM - 9 September, 2009
/me wav's to all u guys
DJPolska 6:47 PM - 18 September, 2009
I am converting mpg to mp4 (h.264 exactly)
what bit rate should I use?? the mpg files are exact DVD rip, no quality loss.
PhoenixUK 7:06 PM - 18 September, 2009
depends on your system .. i use 3500k with 320kaac audio, and im running a 4gb 2.66ghz mpb with 512k dedicated nvidia grafix.
DJPolska 7:07 PM - 18 September, 2009
i got the same MBP 2.66ghz.
PhoenixUK 7:10 PM - 18 September, 2009
should be fine then, apart from the known issues with the nvidia card and v-sync. search for info on that if you haven't already. it just makes the video jerky with v-sync on.
DJPolska 7:18 PM - 18 September, 2009
i read a little about it..but what is v-sync exactly?
Joshua Carl 7:49 PM - 18 September, 2009
I was encoding around 3300 to 4000.
then after much reading and debate the general consensus was that was overkill.
if properly ripped from the source 2500-3000 should be just fine.

remember, you cant polish a questionable file by juicing the KBs up.

I find that even though the 3500+ files worked well, the 2700 files worked
flawlessly. load time was instant and whatnot
PhoenixUK 8:11 PM - 18 September, 2009
hmmm, i might drop the rate on my next batch, and see what the results are. I am fussy about the "blacks", if they've got lots of discoloration etc. I'll give it a go though :)
Funkytownstopsix 12:25 AM - 19 September, 2009
no matter how high the rate black seem to come out blocky or fuzzy
Joshua Carl 12:28 AM - 19 September, 2009
guess:
horizontal or vertical deblocking? (or using a certain de-interlaing mode?)

are the originals like that?

Alot of pros judge gear and picture quality by the "blacks"
IE if its black, and its a off gray, or not jet-black...it needs work.
alot of the newer tvs, if theres a black screen, you cant even tell the
tvs power is on.
DJPolska 2:33 AM - 19 September, 2009
i have mpg files that are about 6-7000kbps.
I convert to h264 mpeg4 format at 3500bit rate and quality is okay but the video is interlaced..how do i avoid that? regular mp4 does not interlace but quality also is not as good.
DJDAMNAGE 5:42 AM - 21 September, 2009
Use Handbrake and go to Picture settings/deiterlace- slower
DJPolska 6:27 AM - 21 September, 2009
visualhub did the job well...no more interlacing and pretty good quality
DJPolska 9:19 PM - 21 September, 2009
but now im having with the sound quality issue......im so lost.
DJ DELI MUSIC 6:35 AM - 5 October, 2009
Question:
I convert my videos with handbrake. Most of them are AVI or MPEG2. I use the preset which you can download on the serato support.
Everythings works, but if I play the videos on serato the picture just freeze like after 1:00 minute. I alreday tried to convert with more key-frames (25 or 29.97) but it wont works.
Does anybody have the same problem or knows what I do wrong?
Culprit 3:44 PM - 5 October, 2009
Quote:
Question:
I convert my videos with handbrake. Most of them are AVI or MPEG2. I use the preset which you can download on the serato support.
Everythings works, but if I play the videos on serato the picture just freeze like after 1:00 minute. I alreday tried to convert with more key-frames (25 or 29.97) but it wont works.
Does anybody have the same problem or knows what I do wrong?

Post this in the help section of the forum you will have better luck there,
djpiojo 8:33 AM - 6 October, 2009
What programs does everybody use for converting videos that are in different formats?
djpiojo 8:34 AM - 6 October, 2009
I forgot to mention that I need it for a mac
J Studda 10:04 AM - 6 October, 2009
Quote:
What programs does everybody use for converting videos that are in different formats?

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I need it for a mac[/quote

Handbrake it's free!! If you want high quality and the ability to edit the videos then it's Final Cut Pro]
djpiojo 3:33 PM - 6 October, 2009
Maybe I did not ask correctly, What programs should I use to encode them to mp4 coming from a different format like Mkv?
djpiojo 3:39 PM - 6 October, 2009
Have in Mind I've already tried MPEG Streamclip and It doesn't work. Well to be exact it does work but it takes forever and it outputs and very low quality video. Even when I load the video it tells me the software is not compatible with that format.
And as we all know visualhub is not longer with us so I don't know what software to use...?
Funkytownstopsix 5:26 PM - 6 October, 2009
media coder if you want somthing that will convert fast but you need the correct settings which can be found on this website. This program is also for PC. I use my mac more so I use Mpegstreamclip pretty much for everything now.....
DJPolska 7:33 PM - 6 October, 2009
Visual Hub works most of the time. Not always...i get a problem where when I encode from mpg to mp4...sometimes ill get the video first (no audio) and then once video is over....the audio starts playing!!! its a same file. WEIRD..anyone with that issue? (doesnt happen to all videos)
Redline DJ 7:32 PM - 11 October, 2009
why cant i find a download link for Visual Hub?
Steve Dub. 7:38 PM - 12 October, 2009
Because visual hub is out of business.
Charlie Five 8:40 PM - 12 October, 2009
I still use Visual Hub. Whatever the last version was. I haven't used a better encoder.

Anything better Steve Dub (that you use)?
Steve Dub. 9:20 PM - 12 October, 2009
I'm still using visual hub to convert stuff.
Steve Dub. 9:21 PM - 12 October, 2009
Using Vegas for edits although I'm thinking of moving to FCP because I've never been happy with the quality of my edits even when rendering @ 400,000,
Culprit 10:44 PM - 12 October, 2009
Quote:
I'm still using visual hub to convert stuff.

Have you tried the latest mediacoder? It works really really well and is very easy to use. I use ffmpeg command line at the moment for ripping dvds using almost identical settings as smashvidz since their quality is above par.

Quote:
Using Vegas for edits although I'm thinking of moving to FCP because I've never been happy with the quality of my edits even when rendering @ 400,000,

Are you using the sony main concept encoder? My settings were 3k @ 320 AAC and always came out great quality and even playable on the pc w/ vls running no higher than 70% CPU both videos playing.

I wonder why main concept encoded videos play the best on my pc..
Funkytownstopsix 11:01 PM - 12 October, 2009
sup Culprit.... as always i need to get those settings for media coder.. xml
Culprit 12:16 AM - 13 October, 2009
damn I dont use it anymore =]

Let me download the latest mediacoder and send you them. I used just the basic ones and they work great man. Im a little confused with the newer versions in regards to deinterlacing becuase they added more options.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

[www.mediacoderhq.com] - Download Link

[www26.zippyshare.com] - Mediacoder Preset

Give it a shot, let me know how it works.
Culprit 5:01 PM - 14 October, 2009
Quote:
sup Culprit.... as always i need to get those settings for media coder.. xml

You try it out yet?
khy 6:16 PM - 4 November, 2009
ok i think i've found a good alternative to handbrake for pc users

Xilisoft MP4 convertor

as far as I can tell this app saves all your settings unlike handbrake, allows batch editing, just load all your files in one go and it will automatically create the new files based on the source name in your designated destination folder, plus it's fast... and you can tweak how it utilizes your pcs cores but by defualt is set to max speed...

not free but you can easily download a working version from the bay of pirates...
Culprit 9:55 PM - 4 November, 2009
Quote:
ok i think i've found a good alternative to handbrake for pc users

Xilisoft MP4 convertor

as far as I can tell this app saves all your settings unlike handbrake, allows batch editing, just load all your files in one go and it will automatically create the new files based on the source name in your designated destination folder, plus it's fast... and you can tweak how it utilizes your pcs cores but by defualt is set to max speed...

not free but you can easily download a working version from the bay of pirates...

Cant post stuff like that here bro, you can get threads locked so be careful.
djrayray0981 10:17 PM - 4 November, 2009
thread lock!!!!

khy - there are 3 simple rules to follow.1. Be nice to other's. 2. Not pass yourself off as an employee of Serato, or an employee of any Serato business partner 3 And don't be a Pirate Whore!!!
Joshua Carl 10:24 PM - 4 November, 2009
Quote:
thread lock!!!!

khy - there are 3 simple rules to follow.1. Be nice to other's. 2. Not pass yourself off as an employee of Serato, or an employee of any Serato business partner 3 And don't be a Pirate Whore!!!

thats not entirely true.... you can be this kinda pirate whore
cdn3.ioffer.com
djrayray0981 10:28 PM - 4 November, 2009
Blocked. Just like all your Youtube vidz you post up J.C. Very limited to what I can get into here at work. I'm surprised this site ain't blocked. It should be. I would get alot more work done. LOL!!!
khy 3:29 AM - 5 November, 2009
sorry! meant to say, buy it here -> www.xilisoft.com
dj vmb 9:48 PM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
thread lock!!!!

thats not entirely true.... you can be this kinda pirate whore
cdn3.ioffer.com

haha
djpuma_gemini 3:07 AM - 18 December, 2009
Sorenson squeeze. better blacks than Sony Vegas
Joshua Carl 3:08 AM - 18 December, 2009
serious?
shit Ill have to peep that, thanks!

I had been using the black restore effect in vegas
DJ-Phat-AL 5:13 AM - 18 December, 2009
That is all I use is Sorenson Squeeze
Joshua Carl 3:10 PM - 18 December, 2009
so, were rendering out of vegas a an uncompressed avi then converting in sorenson?

theres no generation loss?
(thats why I tweaked for so long to get my vegas renders money...I was trying to
avoid that)
simoneee 3:37 PM - 28 December, 2009
For Mac OS users: check this mac video converter
www.video-converter-mac.org
Solomonic 12:46 AM - 29 December, 2009
i use this Video Monkey software a lot to convert odd files types. It works pretty good.

videomonkey.org

It is based off of Visual Hub

Its also open source and free.

hope it helps someone
PopRoXxX 9:15 PM - 29 December, 2009
good lookin' out Solomonic! i've been using Visual Hub and was a little iffed (yeah - i said iffed) when i found out it was no more
chriscraze 6:32 PM - 31 December, 2009
I use my buddy Paul. he does all my converting. He's a nice guy.
DJ Watty 11:38 PM - 5 February, 2010
Quote:
sorry! meant to say, buy it here -> www.xilisoft.com

I bought this program today. Compared to NCH Toolbox that I had this program rocks, I did a batch of 100 files from MPEG2 to MP4 took about 4 hours. It can be run in the back ground no problem.
fcprod1 8:28 PM - 8 February, 2010
Anyone else have any problems with Xilisoft? I occasionally get the music to where is sounds like its skipping/studdering/jumping but only on like 1-2 videos out of 15. I have all my settings on high.
DJ KRAYZE 2:58 PM - 23 March, 2010
Toast 9 does a good job converting, but i cant choose the videos i want to pick from a Promo Only dvd. I have to convert the whole thing, no chapter split mode.
carter 3:34 PM - 23 March, 2010
Ripping to individual chapters with Mac the Ripper and to VOB with Streamclip.
Getting good quality with MPEG Streamclip, but I'm trying to figure out how to convert the 4:3 full screen frame size to 16:9 widescreen. I've tried setting the window size, cropping, just about everything. If someone knows how to do that, that would be awesome.
dj blackbelt 4:40 PM - 4 April, 2010
Quote:
Ripping to individual chapters with Mac the Ripper and to VOB with Streamclip.
Getting good quality with MPEG Streamclip, but I'm trying to figure out how to convert the 4:3 full screen frame size to 16:9 widescreen. I've tried setting the window size, cropping, just about everything. If someone knows how to do that, that would be awesome.

I have tried most of them batch programs but i was never happy with the quality after converting from .vob to mp4 until i tried using Avsynth.Do the IVTC method and the quality looks better than .vob files.You no longer see the annoying Telecine lines and the files are just smooth with Serato.

Thats what i found out.

As for 4:3 to 16:9 Widescreen > I think you convert to 640*480 then crop 60 top and 60 bottom Crop(0,60,-0-60)
carter 9:52 PM - 4 April, 2010
I'd love that too, but I don't have a PC at all anymore. Everything is on Mac. I'm still looking for a way to add the Avsynth scripting on Mac somehow.
dj blackbelt 8:00 AM - 5 April, 2010
Lucky i have a pc but i'm stuck on edits.
I'm using pc for Avsynth to ivtc promo only vobs.
I have a Mac and i wanna try editing using a swift method and im getting all confused now.I will soon figure out how to get quality edits somehow.
Good luck carter.
carter 3:09 PM - 5 April, 2010
I'm trying out the "Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine" and "Conform 25 to 24" in FCP. Haven't exported yet so we'll see.

Swift, aka Final Cut Technician...any thoughts on those two within FCP?
dj blackbelt 8:31 AM - 23 April, 2010
looks like u are screwed Carter if u do not have any windows no more.
Because swift declared that he has found no way to IVTC on the mac.

ATM, no other method is better that this serato.com
and its a learning curve.

No batch programs works because every file needs special love.lol
carter 4:49 PM - 23 April, 2010
Tried it on a some vobs on a friend's PC. It worked on a few vobs and on a few it didn't. I compared them with the mp4s that I had already done and couldn't really justify going through that process with every 29.97 vob that I have in order to get that little bit of quality back. I guess I don't care about my customers enough to spend that kind of time. LOL.
Culprit 8:29 PM - 23 April, 2010
Quote:
Tried it on a some vobs on a friend's PC. It worked on a few vobs and on a few it didn't. I compared them with the mp4s that I had already done and couldn't really justify going through that process with every 29.97 vob that I have in order to get that little bit of quality back. I guess I don't care about my customers enough to spend that kind of time. LOL.

Agreed. I would apply this technique to newer files, dont waist your time with older vobs.
dj blackbelt 6:24 AM - 24 April, 2010
Quote:

I understand that statement.
The method is time consuming but saying the quality difference is very little can be a bit misleading.
When i compared quality i was like, now my customers are gonna Love this.

i will never settle for less when it comes to this topic.
carter 9:46 AM - 24 April, 2010
And you have a right to not settle for less since it's your time. But in my experience dealing with vobs and conversion, there is very little difference in the files I've used to justify using that as the only method of conversion and claiming that it's "the right way" and everyone else is doing it wrong.
Funkytownstopsix 3:11 PM - 26 April, 2010
Hummmmm.... I would have to agree with Carter.. No need to go back and re-encode anything. Now for stuff that I want to edit for my own I will try dj Bretts way of doing things before I use A-Swifts way so it would come out the best it can. I don't have the time unlike other Dj's who are really good and thier only job is DJing, I have to work and then DJ when I can. Seems like BlackBelt has much time on his hands. And before you get fly blackbelt understand this....

Mr. Black Belt I am from the Shaolin Temple I am known as the KID with the Golden Arms ,,, Golden Arms for short....( it think it's because I am brown lookin guy). My style is unbeatable so there will be no need to qual with you as you will not beat me. I will just say BUDDHA BLESS YOU.... LOL what a play on words. Perception is 9 tenths of the law... Remember that in your travels and when you see me I will let you attempt to snatch the pebble from my hand.... Later Mate. : )
DJ Tecniq 8:17 PM - 12 June, 2010
Quote:
Anybody ripping Promo Only Videos know how to get to the "Ambient" section on each disc? I know they have their own "title chapters" on the disc, but Handbrake doesn't read them? Had no issues whatsoever extracting the music videos themselves, just the three "ambient" video trax included on each disc. Anybody have/solve this issue?
I just asked this same thing in another thread there has to be a way. If not then what happens when someone plays an mp3 track instead of a video? The screen would be just blank. This needs to be talked about. Handbrake does not convert the ambient files. There has to be some other video converter software to make this work w/ good quality. I actually used total video converter to convert the ambient but the loop of the ambient would not loop correctly in video-sl it would hang up it wasn't a constant loop. The quality was decent but nothing like handbrake.
RAYMIXX 11:18 PM - 14 June, 2010
Anyone using QuickTime Pro and what settings are u guys using?
DJ TURN SIGNAL 11:23 PM - 24 June, 2010
I use FLV Cruncher. it works for Vids that are FLV's to MP4. fast and can do batches
Dj Wunder 12:53 AM - 26 June, 2010
It seems Handbrake hangs up on the Ambient vids because there isn't any audio. I've seen a few threads on this and it's AnNOYing
carter 1:48 AM - 26 June, 2010
Rip the ambient to vob using Mac the Ripper on Mac or DVD Decrypter on Win. Then load the vob into Handbrake.
Dj Wunder 4:31 PM - 28 June, 2010
Tried that carter, Handbrake hung up on the same part with the VOB's from mac the ripper...or was it that mac the ripper got hung up? I dunno it was a few weeks ago and it nah work
carter 3:09 PM - 29 June, 2010
Did all of mine from PO with DVD Decrypter and Handbrake. That was a while ago though. I'll have to find a disc and give it another go.
DJ Tecniq 5:23 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
It seems Handbrake hangs up on the Ambient vids because there isn't any audio. I've seen a few threads on this and it's AnNOYing
I get this same problem with the shadow dancers dvd. Tried ripping it w/ handbrake and it just hung up on step 2 of 2 both on mac and pc. I tried keeping the audio track & removing it did nothing It still just hung up and it's pissing me off cuz it worked fine for the sample clips but not the hr long clip. Is there another program that can rip shadow dancer dvd's and remove the audio track? I have checked out a few VJ's and none of them mix ambients or visuals now i see why. Anyone tried ripping ambients in ME or can u?
DJ Tecniq 5:29 AM - 29 July, 2010
I mean i hate to be an ass but I didn't spend $200 on VSL and $2100 on a new mbp for nothing and not be able to use ambients or visuals in VSL. VSL needs to step up.
Charlie Five 11:04 AM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
I mean i hate to be an ass but I didn't spend $200 on VSL and $2100 on a new mbp for nothing and not be able to use ambients or visuals in VSL. VSL needs to step up.

Funny...I use ambient videos all of the time...Have since the very first release of V-SL...I think what you are referring to is a user problem, not V-SL's problem.

Ripping videos, encoding, editing...None of that has anything to do with V-SL's capability...Nor should it.
Dj Wunder 11:09 AM - 29 July, 2010
Wouldn't be a problem if VSL could work straight from DVD. Just sayin...
djpuma_gemini 5:27 PM - 29 July, 2010
pioneer can do that, but that's so 5 years ago. i wouldn't spin videos from a dvd
DJ Tecniq 8:27 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Funny...I use ambient videos all of the time...Have since the very first release of V-SL...I think what you are referring to is a user problem, not V-SL's problem.

Ripping videos, encoding, editing...None of that has anything to do with V-SL's capability...Nor should it.
and what was your method you just used handbrake and it completed and converted the ambient? Would really like to know.
Culprit 9:15 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

and what was your method you just used handbrake and it completed and converted the ambient? Would really like to know.

use the search button to learn how to rip ambient videos
djpuma_gemini 9:28 PM - 29 July, 2010
dvddecrypter or mac the ripper.

I have a shit ton of ambients from po. Do I use them, no, no real need. Maybe a few, but they are not hard to rip.
DJ Tecniq 9:30 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

use the search button to learn how to rip ambient videos
believe me i have, i'll try mac the ripper on mac
Charlie Five 12:15 AM - 30 July, 2010
Quote:

Why would someone want to do that? But by the way V-SL can play straight from a DVD.
Dj Wunder 2:46 AM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Why would someone want to do that? But by the way V-SL can play straight from a DVD.

Why? Mostly because DVD's carry video and audio information, which I've found works nicely when trying to dj video and audio.

I'm VERY interested in how to get Video-SL to use DVD's, care to share?
Charlie Five 3:12 AM - 31 July, 2010
DVD...Not DVD's. Your comment was...
Quote:
Wouldn't be a problem if VSL could work straight from DVD. Just sayin.
Load a DVD into your computer and load the track(s)...
Culprit 11:47 AM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Charlie, dvd or mpeg format is not currently supported by vsl unless you found a way.
djpuma_gemini 2:40 AM - 1 August, 2010
I use brain control to convert my videos.
FunkyRob 5:01 PM - 1 August, 2010
I don't know when this happened but I recently noticed that MPEG Streamclip won't play the sound from my .VOB files anymore. (OSX 10.6.4)

I've re-installed the MPEG2 playback plugin again, updated to MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 also.

Anything else I haven't thought of?
carter 5:58 PM - 1 August, 2010
I have had some files before that were sent to me that wouldn't play in the preview window but I was still able to convert them anyway. But all of the ones I've done manually worked out fine.
Dj Wunder 8:16 PM - 1 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

You're really confusing me Charlie.
DJ Arkiteck 5:25 AM - 5 August, 2010
you're talking in the singular, he's talking in the plural. If you're only using ONE dvd then yea, that would be fine, but usually, you'e using 2 or more.

I'm just chiming in, but i have the same problem, as tecniq (though luckily didn't spend NEARLY as much). How do I rip a hard drive full of VOBs to MP4 in a BATCH process?
Culprit 5:44 AM - 5 August, 2010
your best bet is mediacoder but it wont ivtc for you, but it will get the job done unless you know how to do scripts.
Joshua Carl 5:56 AM - 5 August, 2010
u can goto the avisynth tab, and load -> decimate (5) <- in the script box.

it will do it.
DJ Arkiteck 1:31 PM - 5 August, 2010
Quote:
your best bet is mediacoder but it wont ivtc for you, but it will get the job done unless you know how to do scripts.

Quote:
u can goto the avisynth tab, and load -> decimate (5) <- in the script box.

it will do it.

ok, let me rephrase my question......How do I rip a hard drive full of VOBs to MP4s in a BATCH process in a way so simple an idiot like me can understand and actually do it. i have both a mac and a pc laptop and i'm open to all ideas. I'd prefer to keep using DVD decrypter on my pc to rip the po dvd down to a vob and do all conversion and encoding on my pc so my mac only has to read from the hard drive. I just don't know how to do that.
DJ DisGrace 1:40 PM - 5 August, 2010
problem is every video needs it's own special treatment. The cropping, de-interlacing, IVTC'ng will be different for every video. There is no way to BATCH encode your library PROPERLY.
DJ Arkiteck 2:12 PM - 5 August, 2010
ok, so if batch is out, how do I do it in general. Hand brake doesn't seem to convert it for me (takes too damn long anywas) and offers me no error message or anything. How do I get my PC to convert a VOB to mp4? Any good and reliable programs out there? Preferably free?
Joshua Carl 2:38 PM - 5 August, 2010
theres 2 ways.
the best way (lengthy, invloved, a bit of a learning curve)
and the "other way"

watch the tutorial:
serato.com

serato.com

this is why alot of my friends who try to jump into the video pool immediatly
think the waters too cold and wont jump it.
they think its EXACTLY how audio is.
and to a point it is/can be.
you can survive off of pools now... get away with zero processing on your own.
Culprit 3:00 PM - 5 August, 2010
Hey Joshua, i tried your method using the avisynth tab, could not get it to work. you just type decimate (5) in the blank tab and it does it?
Culprit 3:02 PM - 5 August, 2010
also u need to install avisynth before using
Funkytownstopsix 3:03 PM - 5 August, 2010
I have a issue maybe someone can help me. I have a Pro Res edit done in FCP that I convert to QuickTime Movie Pro Res after adding menus and what not in IDVD it turns out to be just under 4.7 but will not burn say not enough space( undestand that some space is used for data) and yes I tried all there settings so I used a double layer dvd to burn it. The double laryer will play like an hour of footage then stop. Any incite on that. Also is there another format that I could convert it to while keeping markers so it will fit on just one disk with good quality from FCP if so post settings. Pro Ress after converted is like 46gig 3 plus hour.
Joshua Carl 3:07 PM - 5 August, 2010
I guess I made that as clear as a glass of guiness.

heres my preset (not you'll have to change the output folders and such)
and dont forget every job you have to crop, and match up the resize/orignal

www.sendspace.com
put this XML file somewhere safe.

THEN.
just make a simple AVS file.
(notepad, save, re-name to a .avs file )
and have it say : decimate (5)
then load that in the script tab

my B
Joshua Carl 3:16 PM - 5 August, 2010
ALSO!

dont forget to click on the TIME tab, and click SELECT.

this is where you pick your de-interlacer (if needed) its a pull-down menu.
and you can make real time adjustments to you picture.
IE, old videos I always take the Hue down so they dont look neon.

this is also a good way to see if your video is interlaced or not.
media coder will apply that decimate 5 to your preview window.
so the default should be interlaced>OFF.
but if you go in there and still see some interlace artifacts then u pick one, click APPLY.

I use blend & yadif depending.

Mediacoder does a good job... I wouldnt say its the BEST.
you def get better results from megui...but its the kinda better "WE" see.
not most people... and alot of people are used to the interface style.
but its VERY fast, and its drag and drop.... so simple.

if u didnt know this, in meGui there is a script writer.
if you do all your adjustments, and it will generate a AVS file for you!
carter 12:09 AM - 6 August, 2010
I know everyone everyone glazes by the "I have a hard drive full of videos I need to convert" statement. Hopefully benefit of the doubt means that all of those videos were archived from actual dvds that were ripped and paid for personally by you and not bought from a third party. With that said, DisGrace and every other person that has answered this question is right on the money. There is NO way to batch successfully and get an acceptable picture. You will have to spend the time and go through every video to set the crop parameters, ivtc if needed, and set the frame size. You can go through files individually and send those to a batch and once all are loaded with their settings and let them run, but you can't expect to just drop a whole folder in all with the same settings.
Culprit 3:55 AM - 6 August, 2010
or just get a smashvidz account because they do all of that for you and more
djpuma_gemini 5:46 AM - 6 August, 2010
Smash has new on lock, but they don't have everything. It would be way too much work for one pool.
Xtendamix has a ton. I just went through searching for some dope house/electro videos and they had most of them that I was looking for.

back on topic.
ivtc is the way to go for vobs, then I render to mp4 with sorenson squeeze
Culprit 9:49 PM - 6 August, 2010
I would try and advise people on how to go about ripping dvds, converting, then tagging.. but in all honesty just pay for the services that do all of this for you. In Canada Xtendamix all the way, in United States is Smashvidz. Both come highly recommended with over 1,500 in their libraries, and both services have their unique advantages.

Ripping and converting dvd's would only be recommended for specialty stuff, but to do it right is a lot of work.
carter 3:05 AM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I get this same problem with the shadow dancers dvd. Tried ripping it w/ handbrake and it just hung up on step 2 of 2 both on mac and pc. I tried keeping the audio track & removing it did nothing It still just hung up and it's pissing me off cuz it worked fine for the sample clips but not the hr long clip. Is there another program that can rip shadow dancer dvd's and remove the audio track? I have checked out a few VJ's and none of them mix ambients or visuals now i see why. Anyone tried ripping ambients in ME or can u?

Just to go back into the ambient thing...I'm on Mac, Handbrake 0.9.4. I pulled out my vob drive with ambients and I had no problem converting the vob in Handbrake with the VSL preset. The only thing I noticed was that the frame rate dropped from 29.97 to 29.95. I didn't do any cropping to it or anything. I just went straight 720x480.

/Users/Carter/Desktop/Ambient1.mp4
Length(s) 59.89 (Samples: 5390385, Timescale: 90000)
Size 19.18 MB
Movie Tracks:
VideoType: avc1, (JVT/AVC Coding) 720x480
Component 1) ireP, H.264 (Perian) v.30006, Decompresses video stored in H.264 format.
Component 2) lppa, H.264 Decoder v.40004, Decompresses images stored in the H.264 format.
Component 3) xppa, AVA_HD v.40001, Demonstration AVA_WRAPPERHD Decompressor.
Component 4) yppa, AVA_HD v.40001, Demonstration AVA_WRAPPERHD Decompressor.
Frame rate: 29.95 per second
Keyframes: 88 (min: 20, max: 21,avg: 20.2)
This file supports internal metadata
DJ Arkiteck 1:14 PM - 9 August, 2010
Well after taking someone's advice here, I got media coder and honestly it has worked great. I'm doing it in a batch format (i know you're not supposed to but it's just too easy). I check the quality of every one and those that come out bad i'll re-do later. Right now I just want to get alot of them in mp4 format.
As far as ambients go, I've had NO problems whatsoever. They're the PO ambients though so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but i'll have no problem running ambients through my comp. So as of right now my process is to rip the dvd using dvd encoder on my pc, than take that vob and convert it to an mp4 using media encoder. I'll look into the whole invtc thing later but the way people explain it make it too complicated to get into right now for me.
Funkytownstopsix 3:15 PM - 9 August, 2010
@ Dj Arkiteck....if you ever decide to do your own edits you will learn very fast, especially if you want them to come out best quality. 99% of us knew nothing about video but 99% of us know a hellva lot more now then we did moths ago, you being one of them. Just be sure to tag as you go...
Culprit 6:07 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
@ Dj Arkiteck....if you ever decide to do your own edits you will learn very fast, especially if you want them to come out best quality. 99% of us knew nothing about video but 99% of us know a hellva lot more now then we did moths ago, you being one of them. Just be sure to tag as you go...

this is very true :)
carter 6:23 PM - 9 August, 2010
I'll cosign on not knowing anything about video months ago either. Still don't know a ton, but much more than at the beginning of the year.
DJ Arkiteck 5:04 PM - 10 August, 2010
i can see i'm going to need to get into some of my own edits as i have alot of remixes that i'll want to utilize in some sort of way. Those programs are expensive and I'm not beat to spend 500 bux on final cut or something of the sort. I'm loving the way my new mac runs right now with nothing but serato, itunes, and mixmeister on it and don't want to bog it down with a program i'm going to use sporadically. Let me finish getting all these converted and I'll look back into doing it the "proper" way. It might not even be something that's worth while in doing as I haven't really booked any video gigs. All the information (videos) i got for free and I don't want to increase my investment further for something that won't give me an acceptable return on my investment. Thanks for the help from all though.
Funkytownstopsix 6:53 PM - 10 August, 2010
Adding Final cut will not bog it down unless you are using vsl while exporting. Even then you might be able to pull it off.
DJ Arkiteck 7:37 PM - 10 August, 2010
well like i said, if it's a worthwhile investment on my end then i'll consider it. I have 3 upcoming gigs that require video in the next month and nothing beyond that. Yet i have 8 that just need audio, I'll concentrate on what's bringing more to my plate before I go out experimenting. I was guarenteed these 3 gigs which is one of the main reasons i upgraded.
carter 7:42 PM - 10 August, 2010
I have Adobe MS, FCP, and Ableton all loaded on the same laptop I use to run VSL. I also have Parallels with Win7 and Office for Mac. I do all of my conversions on my Mac and run my website/blog. I've had no issues running VSL with all of that software loaded.
Funkytownstopsix 5:04 AM - 11 August, 2010
@Arkiteck I feel you.... Suggestion!!!!!!! take video to your audio gigs... When I first started doing vid it was slow so even on audio gigs I would take my video more for practice and self-promotion. I wouldn't tell them I was going to do it. Didn't always take everything but at a minimum I would take a LCD TV or even a big sized flat screen computer monitor. What happened and pretty fast was people would ask about the video and gigs started coming.
Maskrider 11:17 AM - 11 August, 2010
Converting videos for VSL is one serious business I do have a bunch of Concert videos that I wanna rip and convert to the highest quality as possible but I have a feeling it's gonna take awhile before I can get a grasp of the Idea.
DJ Arkiteck 4:02 PM - 11 August, 2010
@Funkytownstopsix........that's actually not a bad idea. I do a lot of club gigs though but I will definately look into that and fit it in where i can. Here's a stupid question. What about Imovie? I know it's not FCP but will it save things in a format that serato can use? I have it on my new mac so I was just wondering if there was some sort of way I could use it?
Funkytownstopsix 7:54 PM - 11 August, 2010
Well I never used I movie because I had screenflow,,,,which made editing way to easy. I do use Idvd so if you drag your mix into that you can add chapeter markers and make the dvd look real pretty.
DJ Tecniq 8:58 PM - 14 August, 2010
Figured I'd throw this out there. Handbrake has been a problem for me recently with certain vob's the audio quality when converted to mp4 is just absolute shit but when I play it as VOB it's normal. Thought the files were damaged then tried it with AVS Video Converter and it works brilliantly. Handbrake must have some bugs. I convert vids with AVS To MP4 Apple IPod H.264, 640 x 480 setting. It's a lifesaver try it out.
DJ Tecniq 8:36 PM - 27 August, 2010
How the hell do I get the black bars on PO vids to crop using avs video converter? Reason I'm asking cause Handbrake has horrible audio issues with certain vob's i try to convert. This is not a prob with AVS. I don't want black bars or shit audio. What's a good video editor?
djpuma_gemini 9:54 PM - 27 August, 2010
vegas = pc
final cut = mac

remove black bars correctly on windows = brett b's tutorial about ivtc'ing a video.
Culprit 10:22 PM - 27 August, 2010
Quote:
vegas = pc
final cut = mac

remove black bars correctly on windows = brett b's tutorial about ivtc'ing a video.

yep.
Joshua Carl 1:22 AM - 28 August, 2010
heres a trick I use for those occasional videos videos where the bars must remain.
go into photo shop, make a 640x360 or 720x480 jpg of black background.
save it.
now drop that into vegas and re-size it, and crop it and place it over the existing
black bars.
(you'll see the existing black bars are washed out a bit usually...and have some artifacts
it also give you a nice crisp edge of the actual video)
now duplicate that layer and flip it to the other black bar.

there, you now have jet black bars which will help with the contrast appearance
of your actual video.
DJ-Phat-AL 1:36 AM - 28 August, 2010
that's a lot of work to accomplish something I have done in one step in Sony Vegas.

You take the video and MASK out the black bars. The remainder is shown as black by default because there is NO background.
Joshua Carl 1:41 AM - 28 August, 2010
i always do shit the hard way....

[facepalm.]
Gregg R 8:04 AM - 28 August, 2010
lol
Dj Nyce 2:51 PM - 28 August, 2010
Quote:
How the hell do I get the black bars on PO vids to crop using avs video converter? Reason I'm asking cause Handbrake has horrible audio issues with certain vob's i try to convert. This is not a prob with AVS. I don't want black bars or shit audio. What's a good video editor?

mac: adobe premiere pro
pc: adobe premiere pro
DJ Tecniq 11:57 PM - 28 August, 2010
thanks for the info, i seem to be getting along fine with mpeg streamclip. Audio quality is a huge difference compared to handbrake.
Maskrider 4:15 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
thanks for the info, i seem to be getting along fine with mpeg streamclip. Audio quality is a huge difference compared to handbrake.

Is it free?
DjBoozie 3:21 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Is it free?

Yes it is. And it works wonder. It's highly recommonded
B-MAN 10:36 PM - 5 February, 2011
IM Too Video Converter ULTIMATE
LOQUITO 4:18 AM - 7 February, 2011
I am new to music videos editing. I have ableton live and i have been fooling around with some videos. It seems that if I add any compression, or a limiter, etc to the file the image qualidty of tthe video gets bad. Any tips any one ?
Funkytownstopsix 1:48 PM - 7 February, 2011
DJFLEX83 9:13 AM - 8 February, 2011
which video converter is the best and there settings pls recommended..
DJFLEX83 9:23 AM - 8 February, 2011
i found this handbrake.fr any use it before?
DJ DisGrace 2:47 PM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:
i found this handbrake.fr any use it before?

serato.com
DJFLEX83 9:39 PM - 8 February, 2011
any preset pls upload
DJ DisGrace 9:48 PM - 8 February, 2011
damn man...... did you even read that link? It's right there......search>>>>>>>>>>
zaguama 5:28 AM - 10 February, 2011
hey guys, just wanted some advice. I am new to VSL and this whole video mixing, i have been downloading mvs for a while now and in the past ripping videos on SVCD 480x480 resolution was the standard. Should i go through the trouble of cropping them (since back then they were released without being cropped) and reencoding them to h264 mp4 640x480 or would they work just fine "as is" with VSL?
Culprit 9:46 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
hey guys, just wanted some advice. I am new to VSL and this whole video mixing, i have been downloading mvs for a while now and in the past ripping videos on SVCD 480x480 resolution was the standard. Should i go through the trouble of cropping them (since back then they were released without being cropped) and reencoding them to h264 mp4 640x480 or would they work just fine "as is" with VSL?

No, do not re-encode them if you do not have to. 640x480 or 640x360 is the standard so 480x480 is not going to look so good, but def do not re encode them
djpuma_gemini 3:36 PM - 10 February, 2011
if you got 480x480 and that is your source I would just trash them all and start over.
They'll work, but probably don't look very good.
DJFLEX83 6:37 PM - 10 February, 2011
thinkin of 720p
DJ C-4 2:02 AM - 5 June, 2011
I need help... I have video files that are like 10-12 videos in one file.. what program could I use to chop or chapter each file into separate video files?
Funkytownstopsix 12:39 PM - 6 June, 2011
u can drag into any video editing program such at final cut or vega. If you have screenflow then you could cut sections and or even add chapters. Many ways to do it. If a wma you could use windows movie maker to cut sections or trim them... at any rate good luck.
FunkyRob 10:34 PM - 6 June, 2011
or...

MPEG Streamclip.

"i" key for in
"o" for out

Do save as, and it will only export the highlighted portion to new file.
DJ Tecniq 7:58 AM - 18 July, 2011
I crop all of my videos @ 640x360 using mpegstreamclip. They look so much better on widescreen tv's. I suggest doing that. If they aren't correctly sized I do it myself. However in VSL if a video is 4:3 use the drop down menu and click "stretch" in VSL it will atleast look like a widescreen video. I do that for the video I can't convert.
Dj Tony Morris 2:22 AM - 23 August, 2011
To may steps to rip dvd.. Virtual DJ has a better video quality and that cost me last than $200 with video. I just paid $200 for this plugin and the videos look like crap and it can't everything and Virtual DJ reads it all... what a wast of money..... Hell window media looks better than this... And Now you got to call overseas to get help this software is crap... No refunds On software so i got beat..
djpuma_gemini 2:38 AM - 23 August, 2011
Man I totally agree. Virtual dj is so awesome.
DJ-Phat-AL 2:50 AM - 23 August, 2011
how does this even apply to "What tools do you use to convert videos?" ... the title of this sticky thread.
djpuma_gemini 2:57 AM - 23 August, 2011
I don't know but he's got a point, man I'm mad now.
Karl W 3:24 AM - 23 August, 2011
hahahahaha
Culprit 9:37 PM - 23 August, 2011
Just read his other post, he is mad because he is using a pc. I would be mad too becuase VSL does not work for his pc. I would be mad to if someone sold me software that had minimum requirements that did not work for my computer as well.

Wait I did do that with my alienware, and it did not work and it was above specs.

I don't blame him for his frustration. Can we all agree that at least for PC, Virtual DJ beats the shit out of VSL?
Joshua Carl 9:47 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
Can we all agree that at least for PC, Virtual DJ beats the shit out of VSL?

I would concede that is the "norm"

but certainly not law.

Watchwww.vimeo.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

PC takes a fair amount of work, patience and tinkering...
I switched to MAC in november almost soley for Mix Emergency and have loved every minute of it
even thouhg Im STILL rocking 1.9.2
matt212 11:29 PM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
I don't know but he's got a point, man I'm mad now.

lol!!
Culprit 11:31 PM - 23 August, 2011
quack quack
DJ-Phat-AL 11:58 PM - 23 August, 2011
AFLAC
Dj Wunder 1:41 AM - 24 August, 2011
FLAC
BoboMV 6:15 PM - 27 January, 2012
Mpeg Streamclip
FLAC
iSkysoft iMedia Converter
Culprit 1:45 AM - 28 January, 2012
seriously?

quack quack.. get it.. nvm
djpuma_gemini 3:10 AM - 28 January, 2012
quack quack.
Duck, duck goose.
Aflac
I have no clue
Culprit 10:05 PM - 29 January, 2012
Quote:
quack quack.
Duck, duck goose.
Aflac
I have no clue

lulz #4chan
DJ Caliente NYC 6:59 AM - 14 February, 2012
If you have a Mac, Download Perian Swiss army knife. Its a codec that allows your mac to play many video formats with Video SL. I have a Macbook pro i7 Quad core 2.2ghz with 8 gigs of ram 1333mhz, Radeon 6750 Video card with 1 gig of ram, Solid state HD. I play 720p & 1080p H.264 Mp4 quality videos (Not Converted) and serato can handle it in the best settings. If i play these videos With Virtual DJ I set my Performance tab set to the lowest (64 ( 1MS ) Virtual DJ can't handle it. The video blanks out every 10 seconds for a second. The video quality looks darker also. When you try scratching on the deck, The video freezes and then it picks up. If you have HQ video which is not even HD, you dont need a laptop with a more expensive video card. New Videos have been released in HD for over two years now and software has to be able to handle it.
Dj Owe 5:32 PM - 21 February, 2012
anyone using mpeg stream clip on Lion?
ive purchased the mpeg2 plugin but it comes up saying somethings old version.
??
djpuma_gemini 8:59 PM - 21 February, 2012
nope
FunkyRob 1:07 AM - 23 February, 2012
I saw a mention of some apparently known issues about Lion MPEG-2

www.squared5.com

see the section that says "Lion and MPEG-2 Playback Component "
Matt Hardy 8:25 AM - 6 April, 2017
I always use Acethinker Video Converter to convert video, It's a free web-based application, you don't have to install anything.
popnwave 3:17 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
I always use Acethinker Video Converter to convert video, It's a free web-based application, you don't have to install anything.

I would not trust software that has a HUGE typo on their front page:

"This powerful Video Converter helps users convert, edit and play videos and audio in any format with lightening speeds."

LIGHTNING!!!

A blank TIPS and FAQ area are all red flags as well...