DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What makes a lame ass dj?

TONZ 1:13 AM - 18 December, 2007
ideas?
TONZ 1:14 AM - 18 December, 2007
??
Discobee 3:59 AM - 18 December, 2007
this should be fun...*pulls up a chair*
DJ Nevoc 4:45 AM - 18 December, 2007
Getting out the popcorn! Anyone else want some?
Discobee 5:10 AM - 18 December, 2007
Yeah Nevoc, no butter for me though!
Ab-Loon 5:21 AM - 18 December, 2007
Okay i'll start first...haha. I think wat makes a lame ass DJ is they get tables...a mixer...amp speakers serato etc and starts doin gigs without really learning how to blend or skratch and already calls himself a DJ.
dj A deep 5:29 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Okay i'll start first...haha. I think wat makes a lame ass DJ is they get tables...a mixer...amp speakers serato etc and starts doin gigs without really learning how to blend or skratch and already calls himself a DJ.

YUPPPP
Discobee 5:37 AM - 18 December, 2007
^^^and then two months later i'm buying their setup off of craigslist for half of what they paid for! yes!
Ab-Loon 6:15 AM - 18 December, 2007
Hahaha yup that hows it goes!
sixxx 7:47 AM - 18 December, 2007
If you have to ask, look at yourself in the mirror.
TONZ 9:03 AM - 18 December, 2007
yup, what about newbies already having cd release parties for their mixed cd. and cant even properly beat match a song.
sfcraiger 9:29 AM - 18 December, 2007
IF YOU CANT SKRATCH THEN YOU WACK
frost-9 3:41 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
IF YOU CANT SKRATCH THEN YOU WACK

lol.. that seems to be an ongoing argument. I'd counter with, if you can't blend, you wack.
DJ-A 4:04 PM - 18 December, 2007
Shitty transitions... BMPs that are way off from song to song to song to song...
sixxx 4:08 PM - 18 December, 2007
lol @ BMPs
dj hoodat baller 4:25 PM - 18 December, 2007
Ok what makes a wack dj?

You see this theard could be real intrusting and a very controversial theard.

To sum it up one mans trash is a another man's treasure.

But to me and i start off by saying this is just my opinion.

You need all the best skills you need to have to be a good dj vs being a so called wack dj.

But i think if you are a popular dj it does not keep you out of the wack dj category.

It just makes you a pouplar dj that's wack
Flipstyles 4:59 PM - 18 December, 2007
Blending is far more important than scratching which in my opinion doesn't work well on the dance floors unless your trying to impress other wanna be turntablist. (and you know how many of them are out on the dancefloor.....)

Scratching is for hip-hop, Blending is for all genres of dance music
DJ-A 5:12 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
lol @ BMPs

yeah, thats a new sandwich... well, nevermind... you caught me...
frost-9 5:23 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Blending is far more important than scratching which in my opinion doesn't work well on the dance floors unless your trying to impress other wanna be turntablist. (and you know how many of them are out on the dancefloor.....)

Scratching is for hip-hop, Blending is for all genres of dance music

I think blending just sounds better regardless of the genre. When I originally learned how to mix it was all house, so that has been pretty influential on my approach towards hiphop.. Scratching to me is more of an "effect" and less a method of transitioning..
akaider 6:10 PM - 18 December, 2007
scratchin with mixin makes a more interesting set, but blendin in the basics! Check RAW representin LA, Califa!

Gettin crazy on the 4 channel pioneer
Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice doubles routine inna 170bpm stylee
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ CISCO 8:29 PM - 18 December, 2007
I would have to agree with frost.. Club heads dont really like scracthing and some really get irritated.. Especially when u have 1 wack DJ who can scratch but cant blend or transition, its like a paper cut in your eardrum.
DJMark 8:43 PM - 18 December, 2007
For every "Lame Ass DJ" there is a "Lame Ass Crowd".
DJ Sniffles 8:52 PM - 18 December, 2007
DJs whose only piece of vinyl is their CVs.

djs who started to jump on a bandwagon

djs who started for money and girls (regardless of talent)

djs who can't comprehend anything outside of the club

and lastly

djs who either don't know or don't care where this culture/artform has been and what it took to get to where its at today.

if ur gonna be a dj, a serious dj at that...have some respect for the history of it. and stop pissing in its rep by expecting technology to do for u what many had to spend countless hours, days, months, and years to perfect
DJ Lil Vito 8:53 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
For every "Lame Ass DJ" there is a "Lame Ass Crowd".

Lame crowds are no fun!
techjitsu 8:58 PM - 18 December, 2007
A LAME DJ:
1] does nothing but 'slam' mixes that sound like train wrecks.
2] talks too damned much on the mic [i.e., after every other song, he has to shout-out someone]
3] doesn't know how to read a crowd: when\if to play different genres [slow, hip-hop, DnB, house, electronica]
4] only knows how to use their 'home' setup: you've gotta expose yourself to the various styles, equipment, and setups that are out there!!!
5] spends more time on their attire than they do on learning their music library
6] frequently has DEAD AIR during their set...
Crickett 8:59 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
yup, what about newbies already having cd release parties for their mixed cd. and cant even properly beat match a song.

There are a ton of cats like that here in the Chi...
Guys that can't mix 2 beats..Showing up the club with brand new Macs!

I call these fuckers out all the time...
TONZ 2:44 AM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

There are a ton of cats like that here in the Chi...
Guys that can't mix 2 beats..Showing up the club with brand new Macs!

I call these fuckers out all the time...

i honestly blame the promoters. they're the one who make them feel like overnight superstars. they also bring up these older cats thats been playing for a while now and call them legends when they've always and still suck balls. thats what the club/party scene has become here in So cal. its ridiculous.
dj shadow from detroit 4:48 AM - 19 December, 2007
i feel scratching is for every genre not just hip hop.and if you do scratch it should sound like it was produced in the studio when your doing it.check your volume and place it where its needed ( like a instrument ).
doing it like this the women on the dance floor wont even know your scratching because its part of the song.

i hear alot of djs scratching with no purpose and the levels are way to loud.your better of not scratching at all.because it sounds like a mess.
TONZ 11:17 AM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
i feel scratching is for every genre not just hip hop.and if you do scratch it should sound like it was produced in the studio when your doing it.check your volume and place it where its needed ( like a instrument ).
doing it like this the women on the dance floor wont even know your scratching because its part of the song.

i hear alot of djs scratching with no purpose and the levels are way to loud.your better of not scratching at all.because it sounds like a mess.

i must agree.
Logisticalstyles 1:31 PM - 19 December, 2007
When you guys discuss scratching during a set do mean like when someone is trying to do a semi beat juggle, and they they keep missing the mark, or some cuts over the hook here and there?
Lynn Sound Systems 2:17 PM - 19 December, 2007
1. Djs Who dress up in chicken suits and gorillia costumes to entertain the crowd and keep their atention off of their wack ass music library and lack of abliity to blend Also to keep them distracted from the fact that they have no Bass cause they only use 2 speakers on sticks and like 2- 99 Dollar lights that suck in their system.
2 a Dj That has to hands out all kinds of $h!t to the crowd to keep them occupied. (Although Some Djs do it at the request of their Clients)
DJ Sniffles 2:28 PM - 19 December, 2007
where the hell are these DJ's at?
Swizzle 9:54 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:

in here Silent Reading with no Posts
Ab-Loon 10:56 PM - 19 December, 2007
They are quietly pouting "wait till i get famous...then i'll show em!". Then a voice comes from downstairs "francis....come down and eat your spaghetti-O's b4 they get cold!"
Swizzle 1:29 AM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
They are quietly pouting "wait till i get famous...then i'll show em!". Then a voice comes from downstairs "francis....come down and eat your spaghetti-O's b4 they get cold!"

lol,

"hey Mom, the Meatloaf,....I never know what she's doing. I never know what she's doing up there!"
dj A deep 9:40 AM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

hahaa that was a good 1 lol
Daim 12:02 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:

if he has to ask this
DJ Young Herrera 3:01 PM - 20 December, 2007
well, I know what makes me whack a dj. usually if he doesn't play my request within like 45 seconds, I whack him right in the ear. That's where it hurts him the most.
DJ Lagos 4:14 PM - 20 December, 2007
a dj who plays other dj's mix and front like it's there shit.
a dj who talks and slams every track to cover up for their lack of blending
a dj who has no damn music and plays the same shit over and over.
old azz radio VJ's who think they are real dj's
wack ass promoters who book VJ from the radio based on their name and they wack out a good event.
wack ass dj's who dont charge the going rate and under-cut the true dj who spends hours working on the craft.***F*UCK I REALLY HATE THIS SH*T!!!!!!
DJ PAYCE 4:22 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hahaa that was a good 1 lol

wicked. i have <10 posts, which officially makes me a lame ass wack dj
ral 4:33 PM - 20 December, 2007
if you can't spin @ www.stickam.com
DJ CISCO 7:34 PM - 20 December, 2007
Dam there is some anger up in here!!!

I think if a DJ gets u angry while you hear him play, mix, or scratch makes him/her a wack DJ.
DJ-A 7:54 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^^ depends why you get angry... i've flipped off plenty of people while DJ'n, and told many to kiss my ass...
frost-9 7:56 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
Dam there is some anger up in here!!!

I think if a DJ gets u angry while you hear him play, mix, or scratch makes him/her a wack DJ.

it's funny how most of us are incapable of *not* being critical of other dj's when we go out. I'm my own biggest critic, so it's hard for me not to ignore music or bad DJ's.. even when I want to.
DJ-A 8:03 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^+1
DJ CISCO 8:20 PM - 20 December, 2007
lol, DJ-A, I was speaking in terms of skills.. I was speaking of being critical like frost mentioned. If flipped of quite a few myself.. especially when they start off with... "hey man, I'm a DJ and..."
DJ CISCO 8:20 PM - 20 December, 2007
*I've*
DJ-A 8:26 PM - 20 December, 2007
yeah... i hate the I'm a DJ.... or the "you should..."
DJ CISCO 8:30 PM - 20 December, 2007
lame dj: "yo can I get a shout out"
me: "and u are"
Lame dj: "Im wackmiesterrockone"
me: "yeah sure"
me: "shout out to all the lame wanna be dj's asking for shout outs!"

y do they always ask for shout outs...WTF?!?!
DJ-A 8:36 PM - 20 December, 2007
^^similar story...

shithead: dude give me your mic i want to wish my man here a happy birthday (he's the manager of the band from earlier)

me: No

shithead: What! why not?

me: dont have one

shithead: well whats that

me: a mic, but it's not mine

shithead: well let me use it

me: let me check if it's on

ahhhhhhh oooooooo ahhhhhhhh onnnnnnne twooooooooooo

onnnnnnnne twoooooooooo

-k- its on here you go

shithead: whaaa jvcia'ngekra up! I wagheio;nt evvvwenfeo rrrrrrrday

couldnt understand a word he said. dipshit and his band have no clue how to use a mic without making themselves sound like shit. He must swallor, cause i swear he had almost the whole mic in his mouth
Daim 8:54 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

if he has to ask this

*unsubscribe*
DJ Young Herrera 9:09 PM - 20 December, 2007
*unsubscribe*

+ christmas in hollis to the boyz II men silent night acapella power.
Crickett 9:37 PM - 20 December, 2007
Quote:

HAHAHAHA Shoutouts?....I tell'em to get the fuck outta here!!!
djdluvv 10:10 PM - 25 December, 2007
dj's who yell on te mic ceck out his mix, but you hear some other dj's name drops in the mix
DJ A-OH 1:06 AM - 26 December, 2007
Quote:
^^similar story...

shithead: dude give me your mic i want to wish my man here a happy birthday (he's the manager of the band from earlier)

me: No

shithead: What! why not?

me: dont have one

shithead: well whats that

me: a mic, but it's not mine

shithead: well let me use it

me: let me check if it's on

ahhhhhhh oooooooo ahhhhhhhh onnnnnnne twooooooooooo

onnnnnnnne twoooooooooo

-k- its on here you go

shithead: whaaa jvcia'ngekra up! I wagheio;nt evvvwenfeo rrrrrrrday

couldnt understand a word he said. dipshit and his band have no clue how to use a mic without making themselves sound like shit. He must swallor, cause i swear he had almost the whole mic in his mouth

Lol Classic
YoungWill 8:41 PM - 26 December, 2007
Quote:

I love when other DJs actually ask for shoutouts.
Ab-Loon 11:15 PM - 26 December, 2007
I never had other DeeJays ask for shoutouts. But if they did come up to me i would laugh.